What Type of Setting Do You Envision Yourself Working In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Type of Practice Setting Do You Envision Yourself Working In?

• Academic/Teaching Hospital

Votes: 47 37.3%
  • Private Practice

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Community Hospital

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Public (County) Hospital

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Commercial (ex. drug store, drug company)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Government (ex. public health)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Consulting (no clinical practice)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is our new monthly poll. Please vote for the type of setting that you expect to be working in (or already do work in). Non-physician health care folks are also welcome to vote. :)

For me, academic/teaching hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't suppose you'd open it up to a "multiple response" type poll? If I had to choose just one, PP.

Members don't see this ad :)
teaching hospital or community health center

Globe trotting with an NGO and maybe a teaching hospital too, strong interest in global health. I want to work with people who need it the most either here or abroad, do some epi research, and teach.

teaching hospital or community hospital. If I can't teach students or residents later, I want to be in a nice community hospital and give some good inpatient care. So many community hospitals are SO lacking in decent inpatient care judging by the outrageous train wrecks that get transferred (or perhaps just the extremely poor report we get beforehand, but seriously - you can't tell if your patient is breathing 4 times a minute and call them AAOx3 and stable??? REALLY??????)

I'm not sure at all. Technically my vision of "ideal" has a mix.

I want to do aerospace medicine consulting at the very least. Not sure if I want to be a hospitalist or do pp as a main thing. They all have positives and negatives.

On the one hand, practical me says a nice mix of clinical, research and teaching would be ideal - academic urban.

Dreamer me says move to a mountain ranch and fly my own helicopter to treat patients in remote communities.

Maybe I will invent something and give it away.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the one hand, practical me says a nice mix of clinical, research and teaching would be ideal - academic urban.

Dreamer me says move to a mountain ranch and fly my own helicopter to treat patients in remote communities.

Maybe I will invent something and give it away.

spiderpete, if dreamer you wins let me know. I'll join your team ;)

I want to do clinical research in a primary care setting. Right now I'm just focusing on getting through the MCAT in 90 days.

Teaching hospital/academic center if I can or some time of non profit involved with research. I just know that I want some mix of teaching/clinical and hopefully research combo in my future.

spiderpete, if dreamer you wins let me know. I'll join your team ;)

Cool!

Now I just have to get thru med school, residency, learn what the heck I'm doing as a doc, save enough for the 'copter, move.... Whew. Better get busy
:D

Cool!

Now I just have to get thru med school, residency, learn what the heck I'm doing as a doc, save enough for the 'copter, move.... Whew. Better get busy
:D
Fortunately for you, it's not necessary to buy your own helicopter. There are already flight programs affiliated with most if not all trauma centers, and it would be a lot easier for you to work for one of those rather than reinventing the wheel. :)

I find it very interesting that academic medicine is so popular among nontrads. I would not have predicted that, but it's pretty darn cool!

NuttyEngDude, I have 180+ hours of shadowing, I think all the shadowing is confusing me since now I've seen almost every type of practice! Before I was just going to do PP with consulting on the side.

spiderpete, I'll join you too. I already want to get certified as a Wilderness First Responder.

Teaching hospital. Less money, but butter job satisfaction.

I find it very interesting that academic medicine is so popular among nontrads. I would not have predicted that, but it's pretty darn cool!

I always keep coming back to academia no matter what field I'm in. I love the teaching part and I'm not sure I can leave research entirely.

I said public (county) hospital because I want to practice in the hospital that I work at currently. However, it will most likely be a teaching hospital by the time I return... So, either way, I suppose.

Fortunately for you, it's not necessary to buy your own helicopter. There are already flight programs affiliated with most if not all trauma centers, and it would be a lot easier for you to work for one of those rather than reinventing the wheel. :)

Yes, I know. But the charm is being a pilot and a doc, and the entrepreneurial freedom. It makes sense to start with an established flight pgm though. Thanks

Yes, I know. But the charm is being a pilot and a doc, and the entrepreneurial freedom. It makes sense to start with an established flight pgm though. Thanks
I can't speak to the romantic charm, but it's not the flight docs and nurses who fly the choppers; their job is to take care of the patients. Considering the expense and length of training required for someone to be either a skilled helicopter pilot or a skilled emergency flight responder, you'll almost certainly not be doing both. Even if you could, most people would not want to fly with a helicopter pilot who wasn't extremely experienced (often ex-military). There have been multiple crashes and deaths associated with medical helicopters over the past several years, so this is a serious consideration. But if it's entrepreneurship that you want, then maybe what makes sense is for you to run an emergency flight response company. That's probably doable as an EP, and you could still be an amateur pilot on your time off. :)

I'm not sure at all. Technically my vision of "ideal" has a mix.

I want to do aerospace medicine consulting at the very least. Not sure if I want to be a hospitalist or do pp as a main thing. They all have positives and negatives.
Tsk. Tsk. I didn't see "On another planet" or "In Outer Spaaaaaace!" as poll options. :p

Tsk. Tsk. I didn't see "On another planet" or "In Outer Spaaaaaace!" as poll options. :p

That's because us poor aerospace people get ignored.

(I think perhaps this poll was only suitable to human applicants, not us poor aliens who just want to return home to practice!)

i LOVE the hospital setting. i dont think id want to be in a private practice.

I can't speak to the romantic charm, but it's not the flight docs and nurses who fly the choppers; their job is to take care of the patients. Considering the expense and length of training required for someone to be either a skilled helicopter pilot or a skilled emergency flight responder, you'll almost certainly not be doing both. Even if you could, most people would not want to fly with a helicopter pilot who wasn't extremely experienced (often ex-military). There have been multiple crashes and deaths associated with medical helicopters over the past several years, so this is a serious consideration. But if it's entrepreneurship that you want, then maybe what makes sense is for you to run an emergency flight response company. That's probably doable as an EP, and you could still be an amateur pilot on your time off. :)
Dang Q. You're taking the fun out of it. A pragmatic analysis of a romantic notion kind of defeats the purpose. *sigh* nevermind