Internships in PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacey203

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I get an internship in physical therapy? Is it possible for me to contact companies and ask them if they need interns this summer? Or should I just apply for PTA position? The only problem is I really have little experience besides some shadowing opportunities over the last year. Any advice is really appreciated. I'm mostly looking to gain some real experience to put on my resume.

Members don't see this ad.

I would check in at your college and see if they have physical therapy contacts. I know that some physical therapy clinics do take interns and my college had specific clinics I could contact. I got a job as a physical therapy aide while I was going to school without any prior experience. Most of the time physical therapists are more than happy to train and help you if you are pursuing a career in physical therapy.

Specific PT internships are hard to find. Aide/rehab tech jobs are dwindling as well.

Typically you'll do job shadowing or volunteering. I just called clinics/hospitals close to where I lived and I asked if 1) they were hiring and if not, 2) whether they would mind me coming in to observe.

I actually got a job as an aide/receptionist through a job shadow. I had been coming in to observe for a couple months and they needed extra help, so that's how I got my foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lacey, I just wanted to clear up some confusion. I see this all the time so please don't take offense. You would be applying for a PT aide/tech position, not a PTA position. A PTA is a PT Assistant and is a licensed professional who has gone through the appropriate schooling for licensure.

In my opinion, I would look at the outpatient ortho clinics in your area as they tend to have multiple aides/tech positions available. The hospitals and clinics tend to only have 1 or 2 aides/techs for the entire dept so they are hard to come by. Doing this will allow you to develop rapport with the clinicians who may serve as a future recommendation.

I did this two years ago
http://rusk.med.nyu.edu/for-profess...hip-program-health-career-opportunity-program
Awesome opportunity, you shadow 5 days a week and have lectures every week as well. Although it showed me PT may not be my number one choice for a career, you really get an inside look and a thorough understanding of the field. Only thing is, the deadline may have passed..but keep it in mind for next year

This is one of the reasons why studying athletic training in undergrad has worked to my advantage - landed an internship at op ortho clinic under a PT, ATC, setting up a clinical affiliation to have liability insurance through my university. Get to double-dip for AT student clinical hours & pre-PT observation