Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitty_Gunner_by_LoztSn1p3r.gif

I don't know why but this made me crack up :laugh:

Found this in an old thread:

A physics professor was explaining a complicated concept when a premed student interrupted him
"Why do we have to learn this stuff?" the young man blurted out.
"To save lives," the professor replied.
"How does physics save lives?" the student asked.
"Physics saves lives," the professor said,
"Because it keeps certain people out of medical school."

:lol: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely understand his hatred of being called a premed. I don't like being called a premed, but when I get into medical school, I'll show off my medical student status. Premed is a very unfortunate designation. I think he's a silent gunner though.

The point wasn't that he refused to identify as a premed (I agree, it can be a burden especially when your undergrad was like mine and literally over half of the class was "premed" on day one). The point was this person somehow thought being a physician/surgeon was possible without med school.

My first thought was also, "sooooo you're gonna do surgery on the people you murdered?" haha. Dude definitely didn't seem to understand the process.

The point wasn't that he refused to identify as a premed (I agree, it can be a burden especially when your undergrad was like mine and literally over half of the class was "premed" on day one). The point was this person somehow thought being a physician/surgeon was possible without med school.

My first thought was also, "sooooo you're gonna do surgery on the people you murdered?" haha. Dude definitely didn't seem to understand the process.
HAHA - He probably was considering getting one of those operation games - You know with the tweezers? You have to reach into the fake body and pull out plastic organs without touching the side - Last time I checked (and you may want to check with the local license boards) you don't need an M.D. for that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Podiatric surgeon?

Dental school?

Nah. Not DMD or podiatry. Guy wanted to be a transplant surgeon. He changed his major from bio/Premed after one semester and is now about to graduate with a business degree. More power to him I guess, but I just thought it was funny.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is currently an undergrad senior/accounting major with no med prereqs and a sub-3.0 gpa who casually told me last week that he has decided to go to medical school because he is going to be an orthopedic surgeon. Im always amazed by how some people have no concept of how competitive something like that really is. I just told him good luck haha

Last edited:
Im always amazed by how some people have no concept of how competitive something like that really is

Exactly. Do they actually think that the doctors who have treated them over the years have had grades as bad as theirs are? Do they actually think that you can wake up one day and decide to go to med school, and then happily enroll?

Exactly. Do they actually think that the doctors who have treated them over the years have had grades as bad as theirs are? Do they actually think that you can wake up one day and decide to go to med school, and then happily enroll?

Yes.

:smuggrin:

I'm sure some people rationalize it. "Oh my doctor is pretty stupid, if he made it in, so can I!" or "JD seems silly like me, if he did fine, I can too!"

Yes.
I'm sure some people rationalize it. "Oh my doctor is pretty stupid, if he made it in, so can I!" or "JD seems silly like me, if he did fine, I can too!"

Those are the same people that assure you the anatomy class they had to take for their exercise phys major is every bit as hard as ochem...:roflcopter:

I mean, there's a lot of work and many, many steps between the day you wake up and decide to go to med school, and the day you happily enroll, but it can be done. Bad grades ≠ stupidity, and if you really, really want something, you can usually find a way to accomplish it.
Most people who just wake up one day and decide to go to med school aren't REALLY passionate about it, though, and probably wouldn't make it through the regular slog, never mind the amount of work they'd have to do to overcome their past.

Bad grades ≠ stupidity, and if you really, really want something, you can usually find a way to accomplish it.

Yes its possible but much harder than most of those people realize. Bad grades might not always = stupidity but they do = a bad splotch on your application.

And sometimes bad grades do = stupidity. Probably more laziness than anything

this thread smells of arrogance and pompous doucheyness

Members don't see this ad :)

Something ring a bell? It's all in good fun. Besides, I'd be willing to bet some of these stories were actually about the posters themselves. If I said something incredibly 'simple', I'd post it here to share a laugh.

Full disclosure: I have actually said, "of course I can be a doctor, I can't possibly be dumber than ALL of them"

This was during a group interview for a volunteering position.

The interviewer names different health professions and asks if any students are pursuing it...

Interviewer: "so are any of you planning on becoming physicians"
*some people raise their hands*

Interviewer: "any other people who are pursuing something that I did not mention"
And someone raises their hand and says they want to become an anesthesiologist.

No, they were not talking about CRNA's.

The interviewer names different health professions and asks if any students are pursuing it...

Interviewer: "any other people who are pursuing something that I did not mention"

LOL. How did the rest react to that?

He's... going to become a serial killer?
That was the very first thought that popped into my mind after reading that post, too.
I don't know why but this made me crack up :laugh:

:lol: :thumbup:
I do what I can. :) Glad you liked it.
Nah. Not DMD or podiatry. Guy wanted to be a transplant surgeon. He changed his major from bio/Premed after one semester and is now about to graduate with a business degree. More power to him I guess, but I just thought it was funny.
He should join the Triads or the crime syndicate in Singapore: I hear they're pretty darn good at organ theft and looking for recruits. j/k I really am curious what other path he thought existed...
Oh, that was me. I farted. My bad.
LOL. How did the rest react to that?
octopussoir-.gif

Probably something similar to the above reaction....

:lol:

They clearly didn't spend enough time on SDN.

Also from a guy who messaged me about career advice:
Him: "I'm going to be a doctor, but I'm not premed."

me: "Oh, so you are going to get PhD. That's great, but I don't know how much I can help you with that.
I'm in med school, not grad school."

Him: "Oh no. I'm gonna be a surgeon I think. I just don't like the premed label. Then everyone thinks I am gonna go to med school. I'm not doing that."

Me: "So how are you going to be surgeon without med school?"

Him: "you know... The other way."

Uhhhh......

How did the conversation finish?

Wait...doesn't the first limit not exist?

A limit is a number, infinity is not a number. So yes, you are correct, the limit does not exist, but we use the infinity symbol to show that the definition of the limit becomes infinite. Stuff like this is why I don't like calculus :rolleyes:

If it goes to infinity the limit does not exist. So you could say it goes to infinity thus the lim does not exist.

Trying to study for a calc exam tomorrow lol. :)

Well yeah, if you want to be really specific, the limit doesn't exist because the right and left side limits aren't equal. (the right side is infinity, the left side is negative infinity). DNE and infinity are a bit different, since infinity is used for unbounded limits whose left and right side limits are equal.

Well yeah, if you want to be really specific, the limit doesn't exist because the right and left side limits aren't equal. (the right side is infinity, the left side is negative infinity). DNE and infinity are a bit different, since infinity is used for unbounded limits whose left and right side limits are equal.

:thumbup:

Yes, and it gets even more interesting when considering Rn :)

Reactions: 1 user
dude, yeti and ski game are outdated.
NEVAR!
Yeah, let's not go over there. sup

You see this? This is the bad kind of dorky. Don't encourage him. Come your first week of medical school, one kid in the front row will raise his hand and ask a "question", and this "question" will sound an awful lot like "Here is a random fact I know about what you are lecturing on that you didn't include. Random question mark?" And you will hate this kid for the rest of his miserable gunner life... or at least whenever he raises his hand in lecture :D

Last edited:
. . . Come your first week of medical school, one kid in the front row will raise his hand and ask a "question", and this "question" will sound an awful lot like "Here is a random fact I know about what you are lecturing on that you didn't include. Random question mark?" And you will hate this kid for the rest of his miserable gunner life... or at lest whenever he raises his hand in lecture :D

I've actually seen video of this. ::shudder:: The loathing is palpable.

NEVAR!

You see this? This is the bad kind of dorky. Don't encourage him. Come your first week of medical school, one kid in the front row will raise his hand and ask a "question", and this "question" will sound an awful lot like "Here is a random fact I know about what you are lecturing on that you didn't include. Random question mark?" And you will hate this kid for the rest of his miserable gunner life... or at least whenever he raises his hand in lecture :D

[YOUTUBE]Ji6IFDJFr8k[/YOUTUBE]

That's what you get for implying I was a gunner.

First day of class, the professor decides to try and get to know his new students and their motivation for taking his class. He goes round the room asking each student individually:
Professor to first student "Hello, why don't you tell us your major, and what your motivation for taking my class is"

student 1: "I'm an english major and I am just taking this class as part of my general science requirements."

The professor turns to the next student "and how about you?"

student 2: "I'm a chemistry major and I just love chemistry."

the professor smiles and turns to the third student, who happens to be a pre-med

"And what about you?" the professor asks, still smiling.

The pre-med frowns "Does my answer make part of my grade?"

First day of class, the professor decides to try and get to know his new students and their motivation for taking his class. He goes round the room asking each student individually:
Professor to first student "Hello, why don't you tell us your major, and what your motivation for taking my class is"

student 1: "I'm an english major and I am just taking this class as part of my general science requirements."

the professor smiles and turns to the third student, who happens to be a pre-med

Did this happen to someone you know? ha!

Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.