question about personal statement content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbs21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be okay two dedicate two paragraphs, albeit short ones, to show how I became interested in medicine, or what led me to medicine? I don't really know if this goes under the 'why medicine' theme or if it's just too much information. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

why wouldn't that be an appropriate thing to put in your "why I wanna be a doctor" essay? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
why wouldn't that be an appropriate thing to put in your "why I wanna be a doctor" essay? :confused:

Hah, I guess I'm starting to over analyze already and I haven't even starting writing yet.

Would it be okay two dedicate two paragraphs, albeit short ones, to show how I became interested in medicine, or what led me to medicine? I don't really know if this goes under the 'why medicine' theme or if it's just too much information. Thanks in advance.

If it involves blood, bloody diarrhea, constipation, bedsores or vomit it might be too much information.

If you're having trouble getting started, I recommend http://www.amazon.com/Medical-School-Admissions-Guide-Week/dp/1936633779.

I've found the approach in it to be really helpful. You basically do your CV, then your Work/Activities, then your PS. By that point my writer's block/overanalyzing about the PS was just about gone. This book also has a few different topics (personality characteristics) -- once I connected them w/ the experiences I'd already outlined, I was all set.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

80% of my essay had nothing to do with wanting to be a doctor (just bouncing around in life) and then I pulled a slumdog millionare and made it one of those "everything up until now" type of things.

Keep it entertaining for them to read and make sure they understand why you tick. Thats the main goal of a PS.

80% of my essay had nothing to do with wanting to be a doctor (just bouncing around in life) and then I pulled a slumdog millionare and made it one of those "everything up until now" type of things.

Keep it entertaining for them to read and make sure they understand why you tick. Thats the main goal of a PS.

Just don't try anything super cute, because it probably won't work.