Dearest UT Southwestern, a.k.a. NORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear UT,

I'll preface this post with the fact that I love to write, and hope to publish a novel someday. My writing coach and mentor, an accomplished screenwriter, doctor712, has told me incessantly to

write unfiltered.

With that said, I'll take his advice during this post...and write unfiltered...since the subject at hand: YOU...is worth it. I hope the unfiltered approach works since this post is extremely important to me. This post is an effort to show you how important you are. How much you mean to other people.

circa 2004 a few anesthesia professionals gelled on this site.

Some were attendings. Some were residents.

What resulted from that gel between just a few anesthesiologists was

EPIC.

I'm struggling to remember the exact year when You, MilitaryMD, Noyac, me, and later Plankton et al hit our groove.

But we hit it man.

I remember this site when we were all active...

THE CLINICAL POSTS THAT HAPPENED...

there was SO MUCH useful information going back and forth between all the active posters, no doubt being soaked up by the audience, the audience being attendings, residents, med students and pre meds...I'm sure, in retrospect, who loved our banter.

We were solving esoteric anesthesia problems online.

Lets go thru the cast:

Military MD: Probably the smartest dude ever to live here (besides you). Pragmatic, an intellect, knew the literature. Mil loved to get under a poster's skin. He'd get someone riled up, and would NOT relent.

Noyac: I've met the dude. Picture a supermodel looking kinda dude...slender yet muscular, longer dark hair, cool sunglasses, a dude looking like a professional snowboarder...west coast vibe and attire...this dude held SDN Anesthesia together, almost single handedly back in the day where trolls were a daily event, trolls that tried to take this site down...he stood strong as a moderator, checking in every day, checking the site, assassinating trolls, keeping the site strong. Alotta what SDN Anesthesia is today has to do with Noyac's dedication back then. Additionally, Noyac is a seasoned anesthesiologist who is a ROKKSTAR at his craft,a man who decided, unselfishly, to share his experiences with all of you.

Jet: I like to write. I'm pretty good at this anesthesiologist gig. I drive a Monsta Truck that looks funny in the doctor's parking lot. I have a can of Copenhagen in my lab coat.

UT Southwestern: When I think UT Southwestern, I think consummate professional. Dude, your knowledge of anesthesia is beyond belief. Your ability to relay knowledge to others via mass media (i.e. SDN) is remarkable. There have been countless heated interactions on this site about whatever...

what I remember about your posts is that despite whats going on...could be MAYHEM....

Norm steps in, cool and collective, and

LAYS THE S H I T ON THE LINE THAT CAN'T BE ARGUED.

Always professional. Never fed a troll.

Every one of your posts...

read that again...
EVERY. ONE. OF. YOUR. POSTS

had

INFORMATION. USEFUL INFORMATION.

You never lost your s h i t man. Never fed into a firefight.

ALWAYS came in with useful, pragmatic information/knowledge/tools/tricks of the trade.

I dunno how you did it.

But you did.

Our fairly recent phone conversations (before THIS) play in my mind.

The last voice message you left me.... a vibrant anesthesiologist/businessman checking on a colleague (me) who was starting a business...

I erase voice messages quickly just outta habit.

I can't erase your voice...

so full of confidence..

Don't lose that confidence I can hear when I replay your voice message.

Play hard.

I'm hurting with you. I think of you daily.

Love,

Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
.......UT Southwestern: When I think UT Southwestern, I think consumate professional. Dude, your knowledge of anesthesia is beyond belief. Your ability to relay knowledge to others via mass media (i.e. SDN) is remarkable. There have been countless heated interactions on this site about whatever...

what I remember about your posts is that despite whats going on...could be MAYHEM....

read that again...

had

ALWAYS came in with useful, pragmatic information/knowledge/tools/tricks of the trade.

I dunno how you did it.

But you did.

The last voice message you left me.... a vibrant anesthesiologist/businessman checking on a colleague (me) who was starting a business...

so full of confidence..

Don't lose that confidence I can hear when I replay your voice message, Norm.

Play hard.

Love,

Bill

:thumbup::thumbup:

Dear UT,

I'll preface this post with the fact that I love to write, and hope to publish a novel someday. My writing coach and mentor, an accomplished screenwriter, doctor712, has told me incessantly to

write unfiltered.

With that said, I'll take his advice during this post...and write unfiltered...since the subject at hand: YOU...is worth it. I hope the unfiltered approach works since this post is extremely important to me. This post is an effort to show you how important you are. How much you mean to other people.

circa 2004 a few anesthesia professionals gelled on this site.

Some were attendings. Some were residents.

What resulted from that gel between just a few anesthesiologists was

EPIC.

I'm struggling to remember the exact year when You, MilitaryMD, Noyac, me, and later Plankton et al hit our groove.

But we hit it man.

I remember this site when we were all active...

THE CLINICAL POSTS THAT HAPPENED...

there was SO MUCH useful information going back and forth between all the active posters, no doubt being soaked up by the audience, the audience being attendings, residents, med students and pre meds...I'm sure, in retrospect, who loved our banter.

We were solving esoteric anesthesia problems online.

Lets go thru the cast:

Military MD: Probably the smartest dude ever to live here (besides you). Pragmatic, an intellect, knew the literature. Mil loved to get under a poster's skin. He'd get someone riled up, and would NOT relent.

Noyac: I've met the dude. Picture a supermodel looking kinda dude...slender yet muscular, longer dark hair, cool sunglasses, a dude looking like a professional snowboarder...east coast vibe and attire...this dude held SDN Anesthesia together, almost single handedly back in the day where trolls were a daily event, trolls that tried to take this site down...he stood strong as a moderator, checking in every day, checking the site, assassinating trolls, keeping the site strong. Alotta what SDN Anesthesia is today has to do with Noyac's dedication back then. Additionally, Noyac is a seasoned anesthesiologist who is a ROKKSTAR at his craft,a man who decided, unselfishly, to share his experiences with all of you.

Jet

UT Southwestern: When I think UT Southwestern, I think consumate professional. Dude, your knowledge of anesthesia is beyond belief. Your ability to relay knowledge to others via mass media (i.e. SDN) is remarkable. There have been countless heated interactions on this site about whatever...

read that again...

had

I dunno how you did it.

But you did.

so full of confidence..

Don't lose that confidence I can hear when I replay your voice message.

Play hard.

Love,

Bill

I say we make this the longest thread in SDN Anesthesia history and show JPP and UTSW the love by quoting JPP's post every time we reply to it.

That was a great post.

Oh, and as an aside, we'll definitely get that novel outta you JPP. You just wait until I have nothing to do this year but update AMCAS and wait for interviews. You're going to hate my daily calls of "WRITE. NOW. TODAY. EVERYDAY. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO BE THE NEXT GRISHAM IF YOU DON'T WRITE?!" I'd like UTSW to be at your first book signing.

Tell me, WHY NOT?

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Bill, you're gonna make me teary-eyed.

Just got back from seeing Joan Schiller, rockstar oncologist. While she told me that stage IV is stage IV, the emerging genetic markers and therapies directed specifically to those lung cancer subtypes are making lives better and longer. I have more energy now than ever and I plan to be here for some time to come.

Besides, I promised myself a small indulgence (Maserati GTC) at the 5 year mark. Gotta have goals. I am not going away quietly into the background and I am using this experience to teach others to be prepared and as always, to enjoy the moment.

You and I are going to write some interesting books. I am working on my blog site and will have it up soon. I want to make sure this experience is one that everyone can continue to learn from for generations to come.

Also, almost back to full time work. Funny the things you miss when you have forced time off. Great to see everyone I am used to seeing every day and hearing the jokes, laughter, and conversations that define how to make this job, the BEST DAMN JOB IN THE WORLD!

I love all of you and wish everyone the best of health, wealth, and happiness. One day, I want to meet as many of you as possible and share the stories only we as anesthesiologists can have in our unique position in the medical community.

Norm,

It seemed like just yesterday that I emailed you about Bill's business venture.

One of these days we need to get together to shoot guns, ride bikes, and drink tequila.

It ain't over until it's over!!!

chi

I haven't been checking this forum lately but today I found this thread and I had to add my voice to Jet's in expressing my admiration to UT's knowledge and wisdom although we never met.
I have a very close person who is living with stage 4 cancer and is defying the statistics and everyone's pessimism everyday.
My best wishes to you UT.

I was honored to be a part of SDN when it was rokking.

UT, you always had great replies on how to practice excellent medicine and provide an excellent service.

As Jet said, fight, be positive.

Jet- that is the most spot-on description of Noy!

Yours truly,

young anesthesiologist hoping to be a rokstar (or at least rapper) someday, Dre'

Jet- that is the most spot-on description of Noy!

Yours truly,

young anesthesiologist hoping to be a rokstar (or at least rapper) someday, Dre'

Yeah, NOYAC description SPOT ON.:laugh:

And you're already a ROKKSTAR.

You just haven't admitted it yet. :D

UT, I have been following your progress on "Crush My Cancer". I cherish the insight you bring to the posts. I mostly enjoyed the one where you went back to work a few weeks ago. I felt like I was there sort of, watching it all unfold. It means a lot when someone goes back to work as you did. We struggle to master this profession we have chosen and that post just shows that its not just a job for many of us. When someone is as good at it as you are Norm, it becomes a pleasurable endeavor. And those are the best people to work with as I am sure you are. Stay Strong.

Last edited:
Been poking off on this site for a number of years now, since I was a lowly CA-1. In part buoyed by everything and everyone here, I am now happily in my 5th year out as an attending. Thanks to all of the aforementioned posters for everything contributed, past, present, and, hopefully, future. I am just now learning of everything that is going on and have missed reading the back and forth, even if I didn't contribute often.

UT, best of luck in your fight. Have very much enjoyed reading you, Noyac, JPP, MilMD, et al throughout the years. Time sure flies.

Best,
PMMD

Is this the point where we can drink tequila?

I've got an

AWESOME BOTTLE....

SOOOOOO

coveted that I've been told

TO DRINK IT

would be a sin against mankind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drink it. I'm still here and I'll enjoy it vicariously. Fight's not over. I'm just getting started.

Have had the pleasure of reading some of your blog and I admire your strength. I watched my mother succumb to multiple myeloma the week of 9/11 and, even more than a decade later, it is fresh. Even though I don't know you as anything other than an intelligent, cogent "voice" on SDN, watching someone more or less my age fight the fight is inspiring and you will continue to be in my prayers. I hope to be able to read more of your wisdom as the years unfold. This board will be a boon to rising residents as well as practicing clinicians.

Hope to see more of you, MilMD, JPP, Noyac, Blade, etc.

Best regards,

PMMD

Have had the pleasure of reading some of your blog and I admire your strength. I watched my mother succumb to multiple myeloma the week of 9/11 and, even more than a decade later, it is fresh. Even though I don't know you as anything other than an intelligent, cogent "voice" on SDN, watching someone more or less my age fight the fight is inspiring and you will continue to be in my prayers. I hope to be able to read more of your wisdom as the years unfold. This board will be a boon to rising residents as well as practicing clinicians.

Hope to see more of you, MilMD, JPP, Noyac, Blade, etc.

Best regards,

PMMD

For me, this is just another challenge in the journey that is life. I could give up and ease my way out of this world or I can stand up and make a difference in my and other people's lives. I choose the latter. I don't care if I make another dime in my life, but I do care about whether or not I have made the effort to help others who are in much worse situations than mine.

For example, I was trying to help a college student whose older brother has stage IV lung cancer similar to mine. I just found out that he, the college student not the brother with cancer, passed away yesterday of unknown causes. That family now is facing two tragedies, one they could somewhat prepare for, but one that was so sudden they are still in a total state of shock.

Why should I feel like I am helpless or can't make an impact when clearly, I still have the ability to do so? JET knows what I am trying to accomplish and I will get that accomplished, but it is only one part of what I see is my role and duty to contribute to society.

This year more than any other, I have seen good people rewarded for doing just the right thing in addition to going above and beyond to help others they don't even know. It is heartwarming and encouraging to me to see this because in recent years, I have seen too many greedy, bloodsucking parasites both in and around the medical community rewarded for shady dealings, backstabbing, and outright corruption. Jacques Roy, the doctor accused of bilking the government of $375 million in home health care fraud is a MINOR crook compared to the corporate medical people and doctors I know of who have brought our specialty to the brink of disaster.

So now I am a teacher, a learner, quirky philosopher, but most of all a living, fighting, contributing human being, trying to make the world a better place to live in for everyone.

Don't go through life blindly focused on just making money. Doing so robbed me of perspective and enjoyment of life until cancer finally gave me the proper frame of mind to understand that what we do with our lives can truly change the world and give so many people the hope and understanding they need to make their lives fulfilling and rewarding. Without that ability, your life can be a droning repetition of daily activity, from which you view an ending of it as a blessing. That is not the way to live. That is just a way to exist.

For me, this is just another challenge in the journey that is life. I could give up and ease my way out of this world or I can stand up and make a difference in my and other people's lives. I choose the latter. I don't care if I make another dime in my life, but I do care about whether or not I have made the effort to help others who are in much worse situations than mine.

For example, I was trying to help a college student whose older brother has stage IV lung cancer similar to mine. I just found out that he, the college student not the brother with cancer, passed away yesterday of unknown causes. That family now is facing two tragedies, one they could somewhat prepare for, but one that was so sudden they are still in a total state of shock.

Why should I feel like I am helpless or can't make an impact when clearly, I still have the ability to do so? JET knows what I am trying to accomplish and I will get that accomplished, but it is only one part of what I see is my role and duty to contribute to society.

This year more than any other, I have seen good people rewarded for doing just the right thing in addition to going above and beyond to help others they don't even know. It is heartwarming and encouraging to me to see this because in recent years, I have seen too many greedy, bloodsucking parasites both in and around the medical community rewarded for shady dealings, backstabbing, and outright corruption. Jacques Roy, the doctor accused of bilking the government of $375 million in home health care fraud is a MINOR crook compared to the corporate medical people and doctors I know of who have brought our specialty to the brink of disaster.

So now I am a teacher, a learner, quirky philosopher, but most of all a living, fighting, contributing human being, trying to make the world a better place to live in for everyone.

Don't go through life blindly focused on just making money. Doing so robbed me of perspective and enjoyment of life until cancer finally gave me the proper frame of mind to understand that what we do with our lives can truly change the world and give so many people the hope and understanding they need to make their lives fulfilling and rewarding. Without that ability, your life can be a droning repetition of daily activity, from which you view an ending of it as a blessing. That is not the way to live. That is just a way to exist.

Very well-written and I agree 100%. I can only imagine the perspective you have gained throughout this trial. Makes me appreciate what I have all the more and admire those who are able to put "self" on the back burner to help others. I try to give back and mentor as much as I can, but certainly fall short of living up to what I could do.

Thank you again for all you have done and continue to do.

Prentice

Wow, you are a true inspiration!

UT-

I'm finally out now as an attending. Almost 9-10 years ago (i had another screen name,cant remember which).. You gave me sage advice on how to get into med school. I did what you told me to do , didnt give up, and got in. Did my residency and the fellowship of my dreams.

Because of you, I've tried to inspire other potential med students to not 'give up' when applying to med school. I've tried to teach them to be creative and resilient.

thanks norm! You've inspired many on here !

UT-

I'm finally out now as an attending. Almost 9-10 years ago (i had another screen name,cant remember which).. You gave me sage advice on how to get into med school. I did what you told me to do , didnt give up, and got in. Did my residency and the fellowship of my dreams.

Because of you, I've tried to inspire other potential med students to not 'give up' when applying to med school. I've tried to teach them to be creative and resilient.

thanks norm! You've inspired many on here !

:thumbup:

UT, you are coming up on the one year mark. Congrats in advance. That is no easy feat. I can't begin to imagine how tough this past year has been for you and your family. Tremendous work on your journey man.... All the best on the road ahead.

:thumbup:

UT, you are coming up on the one year mark. Congrats in advance. That is no easy feat. I can't begin to imagine how tough this past year has been for you and your family. Tremendous work on your journey man.... All the best on the road ahead.

It's tough, I can tell you, with the chemo that I am on, but with the response I am getting, well worth it.

I may never be able to bench press 400 pounds (I can barely bench 90 without feeling something crack) but I am able to walk, talk, and hopefully work soon again after I complete my chemo. Life becomes short and long term goals that are reasonable to achieve, but always with the daily thought of "what can I do today to make someone's life better today?"

Gotta pipe in and say thanks to all the Attendings in here for making it one of the better forums to follow over the last 5 years or so... This thread made me think back and try to remember some of the character you all displayed as I was a pre-med and starting med school. Some of it commendable and some of it not as much. But I will say one thing, in reading thread about topics I had no knowledge of it almost helped see straight through to the character of the author posting.

UTSW I echo the thread in saying thanks for being the ever professional and a prime example to those looking for guidance in the maturation process that is medicine and specifically LIFE. :thumbup:

Gotta pipe in and say thanks to all the Attendings in here for making it one of the better forums to follow over the last 5 years or so... This thread made me think back and try to remember some of the character you all displayed as I was a pre-med and starting med school. Some of it commendable and some of it not as much. But I will say one thing, in reading thread about topics I had no knowledge of it almost helped see straight through to the character of the author posting.

UTSW I echo the thread in saying thanks for being the ever professional and a prime example to those looking for guidance in the maturation process that is medicine and specifically LIFE. :thumbup:

Choose to make a difference. It is a simple statement, but I see the difference between a sideline player in the game of life versus a starter trying to make the winning score for the right team.

Had to break my abstinence of SDN for board studying to share this.

Great advice, so much so that when I saw this video I was reminded of that statement "Choose to make a difference".

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYLxLpYYn8&sns=em[/YOUTUBE]

Choose to make a difference. It is a simple statement, but I see the difference between a sideline player in the game of life versus a starter trying to make the winning score for the right team.

Had to break my abstinence of SDN for board studying to share this.

Great advice, so much so that when I saw this video I was reminded of that statement "Choose to make a difference".

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYLxLpYYn8&sns=em[/YOUTUBE]

It's amazing what you can accomplish simply by making that choice. It is one that few choose to make which is both saddening and for myself motivating.

I searched for this thread after reading about the heartbreaking news posted on the banner of SDN today. I hope you are in a warm place now UTSouthwestern, you will surely live on through your posts here and the lives that you have touched.

I searched for this thread after reading about the heartbreaking news posted on the banner of SDN today. I hope you are in a warm place now UTSouthwestern, you will surely live on through your posts here and the lives that you have touched.

Likewise. I read your blog, and this seriously brought tears to my eyes. All of you seem to be so incredible amazing; and I truly wish that UTSouthwestern was still here with us. Such an incredible individual, its insane. My sincere condolesences go to his family, and to all of you who knew him personally.