*~*~*~*Official 2011-2012 AMCAS Verification Thread*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is almost that time..... :eek:

You will be able to submit your AMCAS Application soon. Please use this thread to show when you submitted and when you were verified.

Please direct any AMCAS questions you have to The Official AMCAS Questions Thread. This thread will be exclusively for verification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Instructions: DO NOT DELETE!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your name and submission date.

3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) When your AMCAS is verified, come back and add the date you were verified to your previous entry.

CougarMD
Submitted: -/-, Transcripts Received: -/-, Verified: -/-

Okay,

regarding the disadvantaged status... I have no question in my mind that I haven't been disadvantaged for the majority of my life. However, in the middle of my college career, I was forced to leave school for a semester and a half to care for my father who had cancer.. then after his passing, my family become ridiculously poor because he was the sole breadwinner in the family and my mother is from a foreign country with less then a high school degree.

Although that was only three years ago, that has had a great impact on my family financially and emotionally. Would you consider this disadvantaged?

Thanks in advance for you imput

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay,

regarding the disadvantaged status... I have no question in my mind that I haven't been disadvantaged for the majority of my life. However, in the middle of my college career, I was forced to leave school for a semester and a half to care for my father who had cancer.. then after his passing, my family become ridiculously poor because he was the sole breadwinner in the family and my mother is from a foreign country with less then a high school degree.

Although that was only three years ago, that has had a great impact on my family financially and emotionally. Would you consider this disadvantaged?

Thanks in advance for you imput

If this had a huge impact on your education/ability to succeed, then I would find some place to include it on your application, especially if it is an explanation for an interruption in your education. However, I'm pretty sure that disadvantaged refers to the years prior to age 18. I think what adcoms are looking for in the disadvantaged status are significant financial and social impediments to academic or extracurricular success prior to college (ie. What have you achieved given the obstacles you had to overcome along the way?) I suppose you could check the disadvantage box but you'll have to explain the situation and it will be up to adcoms to use the information as they will.

4) When your AMCAS is verified, come back and add the date you were verified to your previous entry.

CougarMD
Schizotypy Submitted: 6/1 (8:35 am CT), Transcripts Received: 5/13 and 5/16, Verified: 6/1 (11:30 am)

Last edited:

CougarMD
Schizotypy Submitted: 6/1 (8:35 CT), Transcripts Received: 5/13 and 5/16, Verified: -/-
Morzh Submitted: 6/1 (9:49 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/11, Verified: -/-

CougarMD
Schizotypy Submitted: 6/1 (8:35 CT), Transcripts Received: 5/13 and 5/16, Verified: -/-
Morzh Submitted: 6/1 (9:49 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/11, Verified:
Citrusguy2010 Submitted: 6/1 (9:30 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17, 5/20, Verified: -/-

If this had a huge impact on your education/ability to succeed, then I would find some place to include it on your application, especially if it is an explanation for an interruption in your education. However, I'm pretty sure that disadvantaged refers to the years prior to age 18. I think what adcoms are looking for in the disadvantaged status are significant financial and social impediments to academic or extracurricular success prior to college (ie. What have you achieved given the obstacles you had to overcome along the way?) I suppose you could check the disadvantage box but you'll have to explain the situation and it will be up to adcoms to use the information as they will.
thanks,

I had included this in my personal statement considering my grades went down the hole for a least a year... I have a bunch of withdraws on my transcript from it and I got a couple C's that year in my classes that hurt my gpa real bad. Do you think it is better to just leave it to the personal statement?

CougarMD
Citrusguy2010 Submitted: 6/1 (9:30 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17, 5/20, Verified: -/-
MSAleinzap Submitted: 6/1 (9:58 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/13, Verified: 6/2

Last edited:

CougarMD
TigerDiver Submitted : 6/1 (9:30AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17 and 5/20, Verified 6/1 (4:44PM)

Last edited:

CougarMD
TigerDiver Submitted : 6/1 (9:30AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17 and 5/20, Verified -/-
GS Mikami Submitted : 6/1 (10:05AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/18, Verified -/-

CougarMD
TigerDiver Submitted : 6/1 (9:30AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17 and 5/20, Verified -/-
GS Mikami Submitted : 6/1 (10:05AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/18, Verified -/-
TuloRocks Submitted 6/1 (9:34 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17, 5/18, 5/23, Verified 6/2 (9:30 AM ET)

Last edited:

CougarMD
TuloRocks Submitted 6/1 (9:34 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17, 5/18, 5/23, Verified -/-
Local Native Submitted: 6/1 (9:40 EST), Transcripts Received: 5/6 and 5/10, Verified: 6/2 (9:57 EST)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
State and Federal Assistance Programs: These programs are specifically defined as "Means-Tested Programs" under which the individual, family, or household income and assets must be below specified thresholds. The sponsoring agencies then provide cash and non-cash assistance to eligible individuals, families, or households. Such programs include welfare benefit programs (federal, state, and local) Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or ADC); unemployment compensation; General Assistance (GA); food stamps; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Medicaid; housing assistance; or other federal, state, or local financial assistance programs.[/QUOTE]

I have a quick question. When my mother and I immigrated to the United States, she did not know that there were so many assistance program in NY. BTW the time she found out (about 5-6 yrs later) we no longer qualify. But I was on free lunch and Medicaid till I was a junior in high school. Does that count as State and Federal Assistance Programs? I am only curious. BTW, I am not planning to apply as disadvantaged, just curious

Last edited:
State and Federal Assistance Programs: These programs are specifically defined as "Means-Tested Programs" under which the individual, family, or household income and assets must be below specified thresholds. The sponsoring agencies then provide cash and non-cash assistance to eligible individuals, families, or households. Such programs include welfare benefit programs (federal, state, and local) Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or ADC); unemployment compensation; General Assistance (GA); food stamps; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Medicaid; housing assistance; or other federal, state, or local financial assistance programs.

I have a quick question. When my mother and I immigrated to the United States, she did not know that there were so many assistance program in NY. BTW the time she found out (about 5-6 yrs later) we no longer qualify. But I was free lunch and Medicaid till I was a junior in high school. Does that count as State and Federal Assistance Programs? I am only curious. BTW, I am not planning to apply as disadvantaged, just curious

You mentioned Medicaid and Medicaid is in the list you quoted, so I would assume that would count.

Can you submit AMCAS for verification before AMCAS has received all of your transcripts?

CougarMD
TuloRocks Submitted 6/1 (9:34 AM ET), Transcripts Received: 5/17, 5/18, 5/23, Verified -/-
Local Native Submitted: 6/1 (9:40 EST), Transcripts Received: 5/6 and 5/10, Verified: -/-
theWUbear Submitted: 6/1 (9:41 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/13, 5/16, 5/25, Verified: 6/1 (12:33 PM EST) EDP APPLICATION

Last edited:
Those who are applying EDP, please make sure to note that. :)

CougarMD
Local Native Submitted: 6/1 (9:40 EST), Transcripts Received: 5/6 and 5/10, Verified: -/-
theWUbear Submitted: 6/1 (9:41 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/13, 5/16, 5/25, Verified: 6/1 (12:33 PM EST) EDP APPLICATION
SteveJMarist Submitted: 6/1 (10:10 AM EST), Transcripts Received:5/20, 5/27, Verified: -/-

SO SURPRISED THERE ARENT MORE THREADS ABOUT THIS STUFF!!

CougarMD
SteveJMarist Submitted: 6/1 (10:10 AM EST), Transcripts Received:5/20, 5/27, Verified: -/-
GetThePointe77 Submitted: 6/1 (3:50 PM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/12, Verified -/-

CougarMD
WhizoMD Submitted: 6/1 (11:30 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/13, Verified: -/-

does family of 8 living in less than $4000/month income count as disadvantaged? also during college years, my familiy suffered severe financial trouble (bankruptcy), i worked to pay for college and support family, couldn't go to school for couple of semester cause i couldnt pay for school and i had to commute 4hour roundtrip to school twice a week for the rest of the year.

i think i am disadvantaged, but if i am not, putting this as disadvantaged would really hurt me, right?

CougarMD
WhizoMD Submitted: 6/1 (11:30 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/13, Verified: -/-
KitchenGoddess Submitted: 6/1 (9:31 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/24 Verified: 6/1 (1:45 PM EST)

CougarMD
KitchenGoddess Submitted: 6/1 (9:31 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/24 Verified: 6/1 (1:45 PM EST)
CodeBlu Submitted: 6/1 (09:35:56 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/14, Verified: 6/1 (2:32 PM EST)

Hey I was filling out my application and it just froze and I haven't been able to connect back to the application. I was wondering if this just happened to anyone else? Thanks, good luck.

Yes, I was about to go submit mine and the page wouldn't load.

yes, the application isn't loading for me either :(

same here...just tried on internet explorer and firefox...both dont work...i guess a lot of people are giving amcas money tonight

Yep... Too many people trying to submit??

ahhh dam, at least its their issue and not ours.

Darn. MSAR and AMCAS both aren't working.

Yup all the people who try to submit today will have their apps wiped out including amcas id. I will submit next week and be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the pack hohoho.

Damn, right when I was gonna work on my app too.

Guess it's back to studying for me.

Damn, right when I was gonna work on my app too.

Guess it's back to studying for me.

Same, but I just have to do the "most meaningful" reflections. Oh well, the interwebz are too mainstream anyway, it seems like everyone is conforming and submitting that way. Sooo original... anyone have any PBR while we wait?

Haha, I love SDN, now I don't need to panic if it's all of us that it crashed on :D

Same, but I just have to do the "most meaningful" reflections. Oh well, the interwebz are too mainstream anyway, it seems like everyone is conforming and submitting that way. Sooo original... anyone have any PBR while we wait?

Yeah I just had a few W&A's left. I plan on sending my application through Owl now.

Yeah I just had a few W&A's left. I plan on sending my application through Owl now.

I think I'm just going to walk it to AMCAS. The weather isn't terrible, and IL to DC can't take THAT long.

...what's owl?

also, do any of you know if it makes a difference to submit the day of AMCAS opening or if thurs or friday will do equally well with regard to being at the top of schools' piles when they start reading apps?

Pretty sure a gunner who submitted their primary at 9:30 AM ET is up to this.

Expect to have all the data you entered be deleted and have to start all over again.

Hey all,

Just a quick (dumb) question about this section of the AMCAS. If I've held multiple positions in the same organizations (Historian, Vice-President, President) should I list each as a separate experience? They all entailed different duties so I feel as if they are different experiences but I'm not sure if it is better to write the organization and then all the activites.

Thanks!

PS: Hoping to get this sent out come Monday! I didn't want to rush it and really want to make sure this application looks as good as it can!

does family of 8 living in less than $4000/month income count as disadvantaged? also during college years, my familiy suffered severe financial trouble (bankruptcy), i worked to pay for college and support family, couldn't go to school for couple of semester cause i couldnt pay for school and i had to commute 4hour roundtrip to school twice a week for the rest of the year.

i think i am disadvantaged, but if i am not, putting this as disadvantaged would really hurt me, right?

Was your family poor to the point where you were receiving government assistance (such as Medicaid, free school lunches, Section 8 housing or housing project) before you reached age 18? If yes, check the box. If not, did you live in an area where you had a shortage of health care providers or medical services? If yes, check the box.

Hey all,

Just a quick (dumb) question about this section of the AMCAS. If I've held multiple positions in the same organizations (Historian, Vice-President, President) should I list each as a separate experience? They all entailed different duties so I feel as if they are different experiences but I'm not sure if it is better to write the organization and then all the activites.

Thanks!

PS: Hoping to get this sent out come Monday! I didn't want to rush it and really want to make sure this application looks as good as it can!

I would try to group them together, as to me they feel like a single coherent experience even though you may have had different responsibilities at different points in time.

Also, inb4 "merging to work and activities thread": http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591

CougarMD Submitted: -/-, Transcripts Received: -/-, Verified: -/-
CodeBlu Submitted: 6/1 (09:35:56 AM EST), Transcripts Received: 5/14, Verified: 6/1 (2:32 PM EST)
therunner12 Submitted: 6/1 (10:55 PM EST), Transcripts Received: -/-, Verified: -/-