Wanna be a part of something important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UT's BLOG ABOUT HIS FIGHT HAS

GONE LIVE.

Find it. There's alotta ya'll out there that never post...you lurk..

I'm humbly asking all LURKERS

to seek out UT's blog.

If there's EVER BEEN a NEED for you to come out from LURKER'S STATUS and

POST,

this is it man.

Find the blog. (crushmycancer.blogspot.com)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am one of said LURKERS!

100 posts in 8 years...that's how I roll.

However, SDN has damn near single-handedly made me a BOARD-CERTIFIED anesthesiologist.

Yep, just passed the April orals.

Flash back 8 years ago when I SUCKED on Step One.

I mass-emailed the pimps of the board at the time (UT, powermd, etc)

They allayed my fears and gave me advice on how to move forward.

Thank you UTSW. This board is a goldmine. It may have diminished in past years, but do a search....and you will find all of the answers you need.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Jet -

Thanks for posting the link.

UTSW -

I don't know you, but I feel like I do. I feel like I have a ton to say, but the long and short is: Thank you. You replied to all my PMs - when I was a lowly pre-med just thinking of medicine, when I was an MS1 thinking of anesthesia, when I was applying to anesthesia, and as a lowly intern too. Do you remember way back when, when a kind, respectful word from someone you looked up to brightened your day? I've never forgotten it. Thanks for that!

I will read your blog in segments, because it's a lot to digest.

THANK YOU - for your thoughts, for your respect. Keep your chin up. Not sure how much you're into it, but you're in my prayers.

Let's do beer at the ASA next time you're there.

dc

longtime lurker, starting my Anesthesia residency this year.

Keep up the fight! Lots of us will be cheering for you and reading your blog.

Jet -

Thanks for posting the link.

UTSW -

I don't know you, but I feel like I do. I feel like I have a ton to say, but the long and short is: Thank you. You replied to all my PMs - when I was a lowly pre-med just thinking of medicine, when I was an MS1 thinking of anesthesia, when I was applying to anesthesia, and as a lowly intern too. Do you remember way back when, when a kind, respectful word from someone you looked up to brightened your day? I've never forgotten it. Thanks for that!

I will read your blog in segments, because it's a lot to digest.

THANK YOU - for your thoughts, for your respect. Keep your chin up. Not sure how much you're into it, but you're in my prayers.

Let's do beer at the ASA next time you're there.

dc

I do remember. It's important that we as the older guys/girls of this board, continue that tradition of nurturing the young. We need to toughen them up for the long haul but not to the point that we destroy their youthful idealism.

Agreed, sir. Realistic optimism is what I try to give to those junior to me.

I just finished reading the blog - a few requests, if I might be so bold:
1) Keep writing - you ain't half-bad!
2) Keep your head up!
3) GET THAT CAR!!!!

Best wishes.

dc

Agreed, sir. Realistic optimism is what I try to give to those junior to me.

I just finished reading the blog - a few requests, if I might be so bold:
1) Keep writing - you ain't half-bad!
2) Keep your head up!
3) GET THAT CAR!!!!

Best wishes.

dc

The car will be my 5 year anniversary gift to myself at age 45. :D

GONE LIVE.

to seek out UT's blog.

POST,

this is it man.

Fu k k in A.

Thanks for the link, Jet.

Lurker reporting for duty.

Thanks for the link, Jet.

UTSW, I posted in your thread, and I'll post again:

Keep with the fight! You will win this battle :thumbup:

I lurked on SDN as a pre-med, then I started posting as a med student. Unlike most of the posters, I likely didn't know you as well, and you don't know me at all. However, I've read some of your recent posts and threads, and I will say you are THE MAN! You have done so much good for the future of this specialty, and we all look up to you for that sage advice and to build on what you have started, and to hopefully surpass that sage knowledge to give back to our posterity. I just graduated yesterday, best experience ever. I'll be starting my CBY soon. I was one of those underdogs but I worked even harder the latter 2 years to GRAB what I have wanted, to be an anesthesiologist. I'll continue to be working hard, to be a successful one.

Keep up the fight. Thank you for going live with your blog. I will keep tabs with it and follow, and post further words of encouragement!

Thank you for everything :thumbup:

Last edited:
I am one of said LURKERS!

100 posts in 8 years...that's how I roll.

However, SDN has damn near single-handedly made me a BOARD-CERTIFIED anesthesiologist.

Yep, just passed the April orals.

Flash back 8 years ago when I SUCKED on Step One.

I mass-emailed the pimps of the board at the time (UT, powermd, etc)

They allayed my fears and gave me advice on how to move forward.

Thank you UTSW. This board is a goldmine. It may have diminished in past years, but do a search....and you will find all of the answers you need.

Congrats man!!!! F u kk in A!!!!!!

I'm very happy for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Blog, UT. What a stunning, frightening series of events. Thank you for detailing them. My continued prayers!

GONE LIVE.

to seek out UT's blog.

POST,

this is it man.

Thanks for posting the link, will follow along and wishing you the best UT! Really appreciate and have learned a great deal from all the posts.

UTSW-

Keep up the fight man, I'm a second year who is about to take his boards, and you have given me motivation to rock the boards and become the anesthesiologist we all dream of, but most importantly, you have also inspired me to ENJOY LIFE and NEVER take a moment for granted. Within an hour of reading your post, my wife and I took our dog to the park and played some damn fetch...it was awesome.

You and your family are in my prayers. It may sound off that I refer to you as "UTSouthwestern" but I believe He knows what I'm talking about. The blog is amazing, I'm with you.

Geesh UT.... May 12th was quite a day for you man. How ironic it must be for you to be on the "other side of the drapes"... the patient.... and with a life threatening emergency to boot :scared:- and one that I'm sure you would be able to treat lickidy split.

But now you are the patient and dealing with some of the frustrations of the medical system. Just boggles my mind. The part where they tucked your arm and it was uncomfortable to you makes me wonder how many patients go through this without saying anything.

Anyways, keep up the good fight my friend.

Just promise me a good ride in this bad boy :D:

Maserati%2BGran%2BTurismo.jpg

I think the picture of that Maserati is winking at you...! :D

I'm not anesthesia, but I can appreciate everything UTSW has done as a mentor. I wish you all the best man!!

Ugghhhhh.
He's turned to God.
I wish him the best.

Now, now. I've always been a believer. I've just never been the most devout. After my near death experience, that belief is reinforced.

The Maserati keeps calling to me but my bank account keeps putting up a sound barrier.

Now, now. I've always been a believer. I've just never been the most devout. After my near death experience, that belief is reinforced.

The Maserati keeps calling to me but my bank account keeps putting up a sound barrier.

I must admit, reading your near death experience put a tear in my eye.

I'm just a lurker here, but did a quick google out of curiosity and thought this find belonged here.

http://www.suggestadoctor.com/doctor_2772_norm_wu.htm

Dr. Wu was my husband's anesthesiologist for his heart surgery eleven months ago and mine for my heart surgery five month ago. We were terrified of the surgery for my husband because two years ago he had surgery at a hospital where we used to live that had only nurses doing anesthesia and he got the wrong medication and literally died then was brought back (for knee surgery!). Dr. Wu called the day before surgery, spent almost an hour answering our questions, explaining every detail of the surgery and his part in it, and getting my husband's medical history. He was kind, compassionate, even funny but in an appropriate way, and made me feel like he really cared about my husband like a family member would. He later called the other hospital, got his records, and found out exactly what happened in the first surgery and explained it to us, something the hospital and surgeon never clearly did. My husband had his bypasses and a valve replaced and woke up 20 minutes after surgery and the next day, Dr. Wu dropped by and spent 30 minutes making sure he was comfortable and that everything was going well.

When he called me the night before my surgery, I felt so relieved because I knew he was going to take care of me not just treat me like the next girl in line. I won't recommend having any surgery, especially heart surgery, but if you do, find someone like Dr. Wu. I didn't know I could have asked for him, but I was glad it happened to be him again.

I have recommended him to friends getting back surgery, plastic surgery, and their kids getting kid surgeries and all were very happy with him and are asking for him specifically for future surgeries.

Have to be something really special to motivate someone to take the time to go online and write that about you just for the sake of recommending you to others.

I'm just a lurker here, but did a quick google out of curiosity and thought this find belonged here.

Have to be something really special to motivate someone to take the time to go online and write that about you just for the sake of recommending you to others.

Thanks for posting loveoforganic. I bet you'll bring a smile to his day. It brought a smile to my never ending night/morning....

good stuff.... :thumbup:

Holy smokes, I'm sure I remember that couple. I did their heart and later spine surgeries for both. Thanks for finding that. I didn't know they did that.

Another semi-lurker here. UT, keep the faith. From your blog it sounds like you have a wonderful support network. I teared up reading about you telling your diagnosis to your 9-year old son, thinking about what I would do with my sons if I were in your shoes.

Norm,

while I have not had the benefit of meeting you or talking to you personally, we have exchanged numerous PMs over the years.

I have always enjoyed those interactions and valued you, not only as part of SDN, but as a colleague who has made great contributions to this site and as evidenced above, to your patient's lives.

I am blown away by your generosity in sharing this with us and allowing us to look behind the blinders of a busy life and see what's important.

You rock man...

Great, powerful, read. Thank you, UT, for sharing. I will continue to follow your fight, and you will continue to be in my thoughts.

I can only hope that one day I will have patients that will be willing to express similar feelings about me...

These stories are so heart crushing and I completely feel for anyone going through this. They always say they will fight and not go out without a fight and they are going to beat it etc--but everytime its the same ending-they dont make it. Its so sad we cannot beat cancer yet in medicine. Sad we cant fix many things but cancer is so prevelent and people's fight to live is so strong.

Dont' take this the wrong way but buy the car and enjoy it with your remaining days. Your bank account will mean nothing once you are gone ya know-enjoy each day as much as you can. Nothing superficial about enjoying a car that brings you pleasure and happiness IMO. Be a true american-overextend yourself for gosh sakes!

These stories are so heart crushing and I completely feel for anyone going through this. They always say they will fight and not go out without a fight and they are going to beat it etc--but everytime its the same ending-they dont make it. Its so sad we cannot beat cancer yet in medicine. Sad we cant fix many things but cancer is so prevelent and people's fight to live is so strong.

Hey, downer, first, well, you're a total buzzkill. Second, what about leukemias in kids and lymphoma, and testicular CA and thyroid? What about the neuroblastoma that spontaneously regresses in infants?

Before you go and qualify your answer, you are FLAT wrong here. Moreover, with the "fallacy of anecdote" at my hand, I know of one guy doing just the regular stuff, and he's a stage IV esophageal CA - that has 6 years in the can as stage IV. Even if it IS stage IV, like that idiotic Cancer Centers of America commercial, that does not put an expiration date on someone. What about cervical cancer? I can't find the stat, but I'd heard that, for all comers that are described as "malignant", 50% will be cured. That is certainly NOT "every time it is the same ending".

And, finally, miracles DO happen. At Lourdes, there have been a very few (like less than 70 in total - out of 80,000 visitors every year) - but it has happened.

Dont' take this the wrong way but buy the car and enjoy it with your remaining days. Your bank account will mean nothing once you are gone ya know-enjoy each day as much as you can. Nothing superficial about enjoying a car that brings you pleasure and happiness IMO. Be a true american-overextend yourself for gosh sakes!

My perspective:

Just the other day, I took care of a 68 y/o male who was diagnosed with stage IV lung ca. back at the beginning of 2007. Guess what? He came in to the outpatient side, with his wife, for a completely elective TURP. It's 2011 and he's doing awesome. Stable disease. He has hopes to live much longer.

Although you are numerically right about what you are saying... there is always a reason to push the good fight... mentally, physically, emotionally...

If this 68 y/o dude can do it... well why can't Norm? It's going to be a fight... but He's got this.

At least the path of the good fight is a journey that is strong, noble and will be remembered.

21648Dragon_in_fire.jpg

My 2 cents dude.

I think my post got misunderstood. I have just personally seen so many people through the years not want to give up and fight and my point was its sad to see such an unbeatable disease strike so often and unpredictaly to so many. I would fight as well ut sometimes I feel by people claiming they are going to fight and not just give up imply everyone else going through this is also of course not fighting to be alive. I just do not think you can take credit for "fighting" harder than the guy that dies if you survive. Its up to God IMO.

My perspective:

Just the other day, I took care of a 68 y/o male who was diagnosed with stage IV lung ca. back at the beginning of 2007. Guess what? He came in to the outpatient side, with his wife, for a completely elective TURP. It’s 2011 and he’s doing awesome. Stable disease. He has hopes to live much longer.

Although you are numerically right about what you are saying... there is always a reason to push the good fight... mentally, physically, emotionally...

If this 68 y/o dude can do it... well why can't Norm? It's going to be a fight... but He's got this.

At least the path of the good fight is a journey that is strong, noble and will be remembered.

21648Dragon_in_fire.jpg

My 2 cents dude.

BTW, every survivor patient I've ever spoken with who has survived such an ordeal... well guess what they said when they heard they had xxxxx ca?

**** the odds:

I believe in: "molding your reality to what you want it to be" and I also believe in god. Nothing is set in stone

You have to fight the good fight bro.

I mean you no disrespect Wallstreet. I offer you a different point of view. :)

I'm a big proponent of palliative care and focusing on quality of life rather than aggressive treatments that will make you feel like sh|t in patients with low chances of survival, both from a humanistic perspective of helping that patient come to terms with where they are and enjoy their remaining time and a utilitarian perspective of not driving up an obscene $$$ bill burden on society. However, statistics are not the individual. From a humanistic perspective, for a young person, screw the statistics. You potentially have a lot of life left to both experience and share with others. From a utilitarian perspective, UTSW is a relatively freshly minted anesthesiologist with loads of $ and time invested into him, and he clearly has demonstrated the ability to have an impact on patients, in addition to the normal provided care. The monetary expenditure is an investment.

That all isn't to say that quality of life shouldn't be a concern, but you can still do your best to maintain a quality of life while putting up with the sh|t that is chemo.

Best of luck

Somebody please bring this thread back on track ASAP. This is about Dr. UT, let's show the love, let's show the fight, let's show the support. This is more important than odds of living facts and utilitarianism. Of all threads, keep this one ON POINT PLEASE. It's a message from Jet to UT. Come on.

D712

Anesthesia forum lurker reporting for duty. Soon-to-be CA-1 at UT-Houston.

UTSW, I grew up in Plano and will be in town for a day or two on my way back down to Houston to start my Anesthesia residency after a long intern year. Having attendings like yourself, Jet, and Sevo on this forum make it a great place for info and just life in general.

Thank you and let me know if you need anything, specifically from Denver before I leave here!

Just an EM guy here but like to lurk on your boards. Been doing so for at least 8 years now. A lot of wisdom here and I appreciate it, guys.

UTSW, you're one of the guys I've silently admired and looked up to these years. Keep up the good fight, brother. Hope you keep posting not only about your current situation but about anesthesiology in general. Like jet said in a different thread...you're the consummate professional.

I'll be following your blog.

-txterp98.....UTSW EM '05

UT, I remember reading your posts back in the med school days. The clinical discussions you guys had is what true anesthesia is all about.
A dear friend of mine, an oral surgeon, is also suffering from lung ca out of the blue. Healthy guy, great practice, wife and kids. The courage and faith he has developed is inspiring. (I believe in a God who works in ways we can't understand). I pray that you will find that same courage and peace that it sounds like you have.
Just reading these posts, you have so much support from people you have never met. Here's to faith and victory.
:thumbup:

Can't imagine what you are going through, but you sure have a talent at helping me get a glimpse of it through your blog, UTSW/Norm. I will read your entries, follow your progress, and I am wishing the best for you and your family.

Dr. Wu, I'm a new CA-2. Have been a lurker and occasional poster on these boards since applying to med school. I attended both talks you gave last month for the department, the grand rounds and the one for residents. Your story was moving even though sometimes I don't feel easily moved anymore. I have taken the copious advice you dispensed to heart and have begun making changes. Thank you. I am rooting for you.

That is so kick ass cool. Seriously....not only that someone said that, but that you called your patients before hand like that. I also like that you post-op'ed your patients. I can only assume you had residents and could have easily left it up to them - but you did it yourself.

A master of your trade....there is no question.

The car will be my 5 year anniversary gift to myself at age 45. :D

UTSouthwestern,

Im not sure if a surgery is planned in your future, but attached is an article you might be interested in - food for thought. Also, as you may be aware, there is a lot of retrospective data that if you can cut down on intraoperative opioids, cancer survival data is better.

I enjoyed your blog by the way.

Attachments

• mu receptors on lung cancer cells.pdf
    801.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
first time lurker. 3rd year med student here trying to figure out what to do.

I appreciate everything you've done so far. I wish you the best throughout this fight.