2011-2012 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For regular MD candidates:

(required): What aspects of P and S are most interesting to you?

Optional comments section where applicant can upload a word document for "additional information that you would like to include with your application"

For MD: Columbia-Bassett candidates, there is an additional essay:

What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you?

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be applying here! Are there any current College of P&S students who can shed light on the life at Columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fire Up for P&S! Word of advice: get Columbia's secondary done ASAP. You are not filtered in terms of grades and scores, so the order that you submit is more or less the order that you will be review and the order that you will be offered interviews. When you interview doesn't matter, but when you are reviewed can alter your chances.

I'll be applying here! Are there any current College of P&S students who can shed light on the life at Columbia?

.That would be my pleasure, anything in particular that you wanted to know? We are pass fail unranked during pre-clinicals.
. The unranked part is the most important part, as a lot of schools say they are pass fail but have an internal system of rankings. Our system is not about slacking off and just breezing by, everyone works hard and the average grades have not changed since before the system was instituted. What it does is take as much of the anxiety out of medical education as possible and gives you the confidence to take advantage of the free time that is naturally built into the pre-clinical curriculum. So you can do volunteering, do fun things, do research, do shadowing, or just figure out what you want to do with yourself after medical school without a nagging voice in the back of your head eating away at you because you are terrified of getting a 99 and not a 100. Pre-clinical grades and rankings are ultimately not highly valued by residency directors, so you aren't losing out on anything when compared to the confidence to build your resume in other ways.

..Columbia is well known for it's emphasis on outside activities, many of which are overseen by the P&S club. The P&S club is an umbrella organization that is formally run by the university with full time staff that work to maintain it and assist student groups. This is assisted by the fact that we have the oldest and largest alumni association of any medical school. This year alone we've had about 55 million dollars in donations, some of which goes towards funding the P&S club. The Alumni Association also buys every first year a Litmann III stethoscope and pay for an annual book signing gala with Dr. Eric Kandel (he invented memory essentially and won a nobel prize. He is also one of our professors in neuroscience). As far as organizations go, we have a wide number of clubs. For fun, we have the ultrasounds, our a capella group. We also have bard hall players, which I mentioned before, and the musicians guild. This group forms our pit for BHP musicals and also hosts a musical event every month known as Musical Mondays. We also have Bacchus, our wine tasting club. We also have the less formal Beerchus, Vodkus, and Whiskus. We have the squash club and the rugby team known as the Orthopedics. I find this funny because of the fact that the ortho department essentially donates a few thousand dollars to them and gets a million dollars in business from broken bones. We also have two student clinics known as COSMO and "champ". COSMO focuses on the uninsured while CHHMP focuses on the homeless. Cosmo is whenever you want to sign up where as CHHMP is a steady commitment for all four years with the same patient set. This allows you a more longitudinal look at health care than one can usually get in medical school. We also have a great interest groups who have great activities within them. The Whipple Society, our surgery interest group, has the transplant pager program. Basically, when the intern is too tired to go you get called up and hop and a plane to go assist a organ harvest. You aren't being handed the scalpel and being told to hack away, but you do get to be a part of the team and do something that you very likely won't ever do again unless you go into surgery for residency. You can go do acute stroke workups with the neuro interest group, learn blood drawing and suturing with the ER interest group, literally catch babies with the OB/GYN interest group, and learn to read magazines really well with the anesthesiology interest group. There are plenty of others, so go to the P and S club website (search P and S club Columbia) for a full list. The bottom line is, because of our deemphasized grading system during the pre-clinical year and a half you will have the confidence to take advantage of these groups for fun and for academic development. The idea is that medical school should be a university experience as well. For example, you are allowed to take up to 2 free classes per semester at any school or department on campus..

. Housing is guaranteed to all medical students, but is Dorm style for the first year followed by apartment style for as long as you care to stay on campus. On campus housing is not required but it is convenient. About 80% students stay on campus for the first year and then maybe 60% stay on after that. There are optional meals served 3 nights a week that are all you can eat and allow you to take leftovers. They were 5 dollars a day this year I think. There are a number of places to eat around campus, especially if you are prone to exploration like I am. Yeshiva University is a little north of us, and they have a number of eating and drinking establishments nearby. The undergraduate campus is a 5-10 minute subway ride away (or a free intercampus shuttle ride), with a very large college district around and to the south of it. It's 20 minutes to Columbus Circle (59th street), 25 to the west village, and about 30 minutes to the east village by subway. JFK is further away, but you can take a direct subway ride up to Columbia for those who are interviewing in the future. It is possible to take public transport for NYLG, but it is kind of a pain to navigate if you are new to the area.

Today is a great day to ask me q's if you have them, I got the day off from surgery.

Whats up mmcdowe! we didnt get to meet at the AANS conference so hopefully I'll get an interview here so we can meet up!

I had a question,I'm not taking the mcat until late July and I want to add my summer experience on my amcas..this means I won't be complete until later aug/early sept. Will this kill me for a shot at a interview? I really want to a good shot at a interview at this school

Whats up mmcdowe! we didnt get to meet at the AANS conference so hopefully I'll get an interview here so we can meet up!

I had a question,I'm not taking the mcat until late July and I want to add my summer experience on my amcas..this means I won't be complete until later aug/early sept. Will this kill me for a shot at a interview? I really want to a good shot at a interview at this school

You can always put incomplete activities on amcas and just predict the end date, you should submit your app before getting your score back if you know most of the schools that you are going to apply to. Some may send you the secondary earlier that way.

mmmcdowe, how many students do you think actually utilize the free class in any department that is offered? How many obtain a dual degree? I am considering getting a second degree, but if I can take a free class every semester and learn what I want to know that way, I can forego the degree entirely (saves $$ on tuition!).

So excited to post in this thread. Have been following the Columbia threads for 2 years now. :eek:

mmmcdowe, how many students do you think actually utilize the free class in any department that is offered? How many obtain a dual degree? I am considering getting a second degree, but if I can take a free class every semester and learn what I want to know that way, I can forego the degree entirely (saves $$ on tuition!).

So excited to post in this thread. Have been following the Columbia threads for 2 years now. :eek:

Many people do, including myself in the past. People take stats, public health, language, arts, and in my case history classes. 20 percent of the class gets a second degree, maybe a tad more.

Many people do, including myself in the past. People take stats, public health, language, arts, and in my case history classes. 20 percent of the class gets a second degree, maybe a tad more.

Awesome. Thanks for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the interview like? and whats the interview format?

what's the interview like? and whats the interview format?

One interview, conversational in nature with few direct questions. Highly variable in length and often focuses on Columbia after the initial part of the interview. Most interviews are open file, but it is the prerogative of the admissions committee member. Dean Nicholas does a large chunk of the interviews personally.

thanks! do you know if columbia screens?

Fire Up for P&S! Word of advice: get Columbia's secondary done ASAP. You are not filtered in terms of grades and scores, so the order that you submit is more or less the order that you will be review and the order that you will be offered interviews. When you interview doesn't matter, but when you are reviewed can alter your chances.

Thanks for the insight. I think I'll do this one first.

Do you know if the secondary generally stays the same year to year?

thanks! do you know if columbia screens?

Heres your answer

i liked columbia so much i'm going to apply again for funsies.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I hear a lot of people say that its a number's game in terms of GPA and MCAT scores. Since P&S does not filter in terms of grades and scores...it seems as if they review applications as a whole, and I am curious to know how heavily the information on the primary application and the secondary are weighed when inviting applicants for an interview?

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I hear a lot of people say that its a number's game in terms of GPA and MCAT scores. Since P&S does not filter in terms of grades and scores...it seems as if they review applications as a whole, and I am curious to know how heavily the information on the primary application and the secondary are weighed when inviting applicants for an interview?

Heavily, this is why columbia interviews more than many top schools (~1200).

mmmcdowe I gotta question I know you can specifically answer

what's the scene as far as clinical research in neurosurgery goes? Especially focusing on minimally invasive stuff

Man, everything you've said about this school makes it seem so ideal!

I really hope I make it to the interview process. I'll be submitting my app in a few days and will turn in the secondary asap.

Do you think it's weird that NewYork-Presbyterian is written in camel case?

mmmcdowe: Can you apply to Columbia's MD and MD/PhD, or is it either? If it's former, do you know if there are separate fees for each, or just additional essays for secondaries through same primary.

mmmcdowe: Can you apply to Columbia's MD and MD/PhD, or is it either? If it's former, do you know if there are separate fees for each, or just additional essays for secondaries through same primary.

When you apply MD/PhD you are also considered for the MD program separately if not accepted MD/PhD. It is the same secondary with an additional page that you only fill out if you are applying to the MD/PhD program as well.

When you apply MD/PhD you are also considered for the MD program separately if not accepted MD/PhD. It is the same secondary with an additional page that you only fill out if you are applying to the MD/PhD program as well.

Thanks mmmcdowe. Do you know if MD/PhD and MD considerations are made near same time, or is MD considered only after MD/PhD? I wonder how delayed an application could be (in other words, I don't know when the decisions are made for MD/PhD...)

Thanks mmmcdowe. Do you know if MD/PhD and MD considerations are made near same time, or is MD considered only after MD/PhD? I wonder how delayed an application could be (in other words, I don't know when the decisions are made for MD/PhD...)

There will be no disadvantage.

hii, do you think you could talk a little about the international (study abroad?) opportunities? i read that many fourth years do an international elective. do these have to be at one of the international partner universities?

also, how much research is done during your time at columbia? do you have to do research?

hii, do you think you could talk a little about the international (study abroad?) opportunities? i read that many fourth years do an international elective. do these have to be at one of the international partner universities?

also, how much research is done during your time at columbia? do you have to do research?

About 1/3 of the class does an international rotation. We have something like 30 hospitals in 25ish countries all over the world that have direct programs, most of which don't require language fluency. You can go anywhere, but the nice thing about these programs is that it is very convenient (just check a box and hop on a plane) and you know that it will be a good educational experience.

Research is entirely optional at Columbia. I have managed to be pretty involved throughout my education here, but it was by choice. 20% of the class takes a year off to do research and research is a common activity done during the first summer (though not the only by far). There is a four month block during fourth year for a "creative project", but it can literally be anything related to medicine. It can be clinical research, basic science research, public health, international health, humanism related, or humanities related. I have a friend who is going to be writing a book on the philosophy of medicine during it, for example. You could write a sonnet about medicine if you so desired. The point of the period is not to be a hassle, but to allow you to focus on something that interests you (potentially the last large block of free time to do so until the end of residency). It can be as large or as small as you want. A nice thing about it is if you take a year off you get that time back to do whatever you need. I'm taking a year off to do research, so it is great for me because I can use that extra four months to offset the fact that I'll have been off of the wards for a year.

great answer, mmmc, you've definitely sold me on columbia!

Hey guys, I thought I'd drop in and encourage any potential Bassett applicants.

The current M1s are the first 10 students, and we all love the program. I've heard the students matriculating next year are excited about it as well - it's a cool program that focuses on health policy and the business of healthcare, and includes a $30,000 scholarship for each year of medical school.

During the first 1.5 years, we have meetings about every month on a variety of healthcare topics. We recently had the President of the US branch of Doctors Without Borders give us a talk/Q&A about international medical aid, and we also spend a lot of time discussing alternative healthcare models and reform. (There's also a lot of fascinating health policy lectures that take place during the Bassett orientation, which takes place 1 week before the rest of the P&S orientation. The teaching is really relaxed, conversational, and involves a *lot* of discussion between the 10 of us and the lecturers. It's a fantastic experience.)

After some in-patient rotations, you spend the Major Clinical Year following a panel of patients (you choose them from your mornings in the out-patient clinics) longitudinally throughout all of their medical experiences, as well as attending lunch sessions on healthcare. (It's been studied at other institutions and has been on-going at Bassett for years using the Albany Med students, before Columbia took over.)

Bassett is a really cool, innovative hospital in a gorgeous small town. The hospital draws patients from a huge area of upstate NY, so you get to see a lot of variety. A lot of upperclassmen have said that the Bassett teaching experience is really fantastic - the surgery rotation is a specific one I keep hearing about.

Some of the 4th year rotations are done back in NYC (the Sub-Is, I believe, plus at least one elective), and we'll still be coming back to NYC to join the rest of the class for Intersessions.

Check it out at www.columbia-bassett.org, and let me know if you have any questions.

- Haley

.That would be my pleasure, anything in particular that you wanted to know? We are pass fail unranked during pre-clinicals.
. The unranked part is the most important part, as a lot of schools say they are pass fail but have an internal system of rankings. Our system is not about slacking off and just breezing by, everyone works hard and the average grades have not changed since before the system was instituted. What it does is take as much of the anxiety out of medical education as possible and gives you the confidence to take advantage of the free time that is naturally built into the pre-clinical curriculum. So you can do volunteering, do fun things, do research, do shadowing, or just figure out what you want to do with yourself after medical school without a nagging voice in the back of your head eating away at you because you are terrified of getting a 99 and not a 100. Pre-clinical grades and rankings are ultimately not highly valued by residency directors, so you aren’t losing out on anything when compared to the confidence to build your resume in other ways.

..Columbia is well known for it's emphasis on outside activities, many of which are overseen by the P&S club. The P&S club is an umbrella organization that is formally run by the university with full time staff that work to maintain it and assist student groups. This is assisted by the fact that we have the oldest and largest alumni association of any medical school. This year alone we’ve had about 55 million dollars in donations, some of which goes towards funding the P&S club. The Alumni Association also buys every first year a Litmann III stethoscope and pay for an annual book signing gala with Dr. Eric Kandel (he invented memory essentially and won a nobel prize. He is also one of our professors in neuroscience). As far as organizations go, we have a wide number of clubs. For fun, we have the ultrasounds, our a capella group. We also have bard hall players, which I mentioned before, and the musicians guild. This group forms our pit for BHP musicals and also hosts a musical event every month known as Musical Mondays. We also have Bacchus, our wine tasting club. We also have the less formal Beerchus, Vodkus, and Whiskus. We have the squash club and the rugby team known as the Orthopedics. I find this funny because of the fact that the ortho department essentially donates a few thousand dollars to them and gets a million dollars in business from broken bones. We also have two student clinics known as COSMO and “champ”. COSMO focuses on the uninsured while CHHMP focuses on the homeless. Cosmo is whenever you want to sign up where as CHHMP is a steady commitment for all four years with the same patient set. This allows you a more longitudinal look at health care than one can usually get in medical school. We also have a great interest groups who have great activities within them. The Whipple Society, our surgery interest group, has the transplant pager program. Basically, when the intern is too tired to go you get called up and hop and a plane to go assist a organ harvest. You aren’t being handed the scalpel and being told to hack away, but you do get to be a part of the team and do something that you very likely won’t ever do again unless you go into surgery for residency. You can go do acute stroke workups with the neuro interest group, learn blood drawing and suturing with the ER interest group, literally catch babies with the OB/GYN interest group, and learn to read magazines really well with the anesthesiology interest group. There are plenty of others, so go to the P and S club website (search P and S club Columbia) for a full list. The bottom line is, because of our deemphasized grading system during the pre-clinical year and a half you will have the confidence to take advantage of these groups for fun and for academic development. The idea is that medical school should be a university experience as well. For example, you are allowed to take up to 2 free classes per semester at any school or department on campus..

. Housing is guaranteed to all medical students, but is Dorm style for the first year followed by apartment style for as long as you care to stay on campus. On campus housing is not required but it is convenient. About 80% students stay on campus for the first year and then maybe 60% stay on after that. There are optional meals served 3 nights a week that are all you can eat and allow you to take leftovers. They were 5 dollars a day this year I think. There are a number of places to eat around campus, especially if you are prone to exploration like I am. Yeshiva University is a little north of us, and they have a number of eating and drinking establishments nearby. The undergraduate campus is a 5-10 minute subway ride away (or a free intercampus shuttle ride), with a very large college district around and to the south of it. It's 20 minutes to Columbus Circle (59th street), 25 to the west village, and about 30 minutes to the east village by subway. JFK is further away, but you can take a direct subway ride up to Columbia for those who are interviewing in the future. It is possible to take public transport for NYLG, but it is kind of a pain to navigate if you are new to the area.

Today is a great day to ask me q's if you have them, I got the day off from surgery.

Wow what a great description :thumbup:

Does going to Columbia for undergrad help your chances for Columbia P/S?

Does anyone know if doing Columbia's Nutrition Program (Master's) help in admission to Columbia P&S? I read mixed reviews about the program, and not so much on acceptance to Columbia (i.e. I know for Tulane ACP, lots of students go onto Tulane).

Does going to Columbia for undergrad help your chances for Columbia P/S?

There is no intrinsic advantage, but, as is the case at most schools, you can benefit from years of involvement with programs and people that the admissions program is familiar with and better able to assess. You also have a strong argument for staying in nyc.

Does anyone know if doing Columbia's Nutrition Program (Master's) help in admission to Columbia P&S? I read mixed reviews about the program, and not so much on acceptance to Columbia (i.e. I know for Tulane ACP, lots of students go onto Tulane).

A number of nutrition students do go on to matriculate at p and s, but I don't think you get bonus points for doing the program so much as the fact that it iis a great educational asset and gives you a year to snooze with columbia docs and do projects that the admissions committee is familiar with.

A number of nutrition students do go on to matriculate at p and s, but I don't think you get bonus points for doing the program so much as the fact that it iis a great educational asset and gives you a year to snooze with columbia docs and do projects that the admissions committee is familiar with.

I have two semesters of research under my belt and plan on having at least one more before I apply to medical schools. I will also have about 100 hrs of shadowing. My question is do you think that my prior history in the military will trump the lack of research under my belt?

Specifically concerning research schools, i.e. Columbia!

I have two semesters of research under my belt and plan on having at least one more before I apply to medical schools. I will also have about 100 hrs of shadowing. My question is do you think that my prior history in the military will trump the lack of research under my belt?

Specifically concerning research schools, i.e. Columbia!

I think it will help in general, but honestly your research isn't that deficient.

That's good to know. Columbia didn't seem to publicize that much so I wondered. I know like Georgetown and Tulane (SMP and ACP, respectively) emphasize heavily how they prepare students for medical schools and majority (>50%) go onto matriculate at Georgetown and Tulane Med.

I'll consider the program. The cost of living in NYC is downfall though... Ha.

That's good to know. Columbia didn't seem to publicize that much so I wondered. I know like Georgetown and Tulane (SMP and ACP, respectively) emphasize heavily how they prepare students for medical schools and majority (>50%) go onto matriculate at Georgetown and Tulane Med.

I'll consider the program. The cost of living in NYC is downfall though... Ha.

Do you want a nutrition degree or are you looking for paths to a med shoo? I ask because columbia does have a post Bach program too

Do you want a nutrition degree or are you looking for paths to a med shoo? I ask because columbia does have a post Bach program too

Depends I think. I (for some reason) thought Columbia's postbacc wasn't like SMP in Georgetown. Or is it? I don't need postbacc that teaches prerequisites for medical school (as the one in Goucher). But if it's like one in Georgetown, that would be considered.

Plus, I saw Nutrition program is kind of cheap. :D

Depends I think. I (for some reason) thought Columbia's postbacc wasn't like SMP in Georgetown. Or is it? I don't need postbacc that teaches prerequisites for medical school (as the one in Goucher). But if it's like one in Georgetown, that would be considered.

Plus, I saw Nutrition program is kind of cheap. :D

It isn't a smp, but most people in it end up in a medical school. Personally, if you have all the education you need I wouldn't waste money on any smp type program. If you are that borderline that a program like that can edge you in, then there are probably better ways out there to build your application up.

Mmmcdowe, do you know much about the Columbia-Bassett program? Columbia has always been my favorite (also a hellova reach ;)), and one of my letter writers did her residency in Cooperstown and highly recommended applying to that program. I read through the website, but I wondered if you personally know anything as far as how much people enjoy that track.

Status
Not open for further replies.