2011-2012 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone else?

I'm interested in the Music and Medicine program, myself. It's pretty unique.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a musician. What do you know about this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not very much. There's a bit of information on the Cornell website, but nothing that tells you how to apply.

There might be something when they send out secondaries. You can get in contact with the guy who runs the program. It's very new, perhaps in the last two years, so they're still working out the kinks, but it's a partnership with Julliard.

Music and Medicine sounds amazing! I would love to keep up my classical voice training while in medical school.

Not very much. There's a bit of information on the Cornell website, but nothing that tells you how to apply.

There might be something when they send out secondaries. You can get in contact with the guy who runs the program. It's very new, perhaps in the last two years, so they're still working out the kinks, but it's a partnership with Julliard.

My first SDN post!

Oh wow, Cornell was already one of my top choices, and I hadn't even noticed that this program exists. Definitely going to contact them. My music is one of my AMCAS "most meaningfuls" so hopefully they'll believe I care!

http://www.med.cornell.edu/music/

Yep, I did music as a meaningful experience as well! Here's hoping that it helps. :laugh:

I was writing secondary based on last year's prompt and thought it was supposed to be under 500 words but then realized its actually 200. Noooo....how can I encapsulate my love for Cornell in 200 words?

I was wondering if anyone knows the policy on AP classes. I have taken some advanced bio classes, so I'm fine with that, but I also had credit for chem. I have taken one sem of orgo and intend to take a second. Does anybody know if that would count as advanced level for chemistry to make up for my chem credit, or do I need something else since orgo is already a prereq? Thanks in advance for your help.

Some schools will take AP chemistry for one semester of chem credit. I don't think orgo 2 usually counts for additional chem though since most also require one full year of orgo. Biochem can count if you aren't using it for bio credits I think; check with your individual school requirements.

check with your individual school requirements.

The school in question is Cornell, see as how this is the Cornell thread.

Cornell accepts one semester of organic and one semester of advanced biology/chemistry (e.g. orgo, p-chem, molecular genetics) to fulfill the organic chem requirement.

I am in the same boat (missing one chem class). By my reading of their requirements online, one could count a molecular biology course towards the orgo requirement and count orgo towards the chemistry requirement.

I contacted Cornell's admissions office. They told me "Just count upper-level biology courses toward the general chemistry requirement on our secondary application."

Oops...good call...I might have the same problem then. I have to check with our pre-med advisors since biochem is considered chem for me, but thermo is considered physics. I would think thermo could be chem, though, in which case I would be all set.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cornell accepts one semester of organic and one semester of advanced biology/chemistry (e.g. orgo, p-chem, molecular genetics) to fulfill the organic chem requirement.

I am in the same boat (missing one chem class). By my reading of their requirements online, one could count a molecular biology course towards the orgo requirement and count orgo towards the chemistry requirement.

I contacted Cornell's admissions office. They told me "Just count upper-level biology courses toward the general chemistry requirement on our secondary application."

Okay cool. Thanks so much. I plan on taking more bio too so I should be fine. It's just that idk what other chem courses to take beyond orgo so that's where I was stuck. This helps so much.

Received the Cornell secondary. Good luck everyone! :luck:

If you are not attending college during the 2010-11 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Friend just got it.

I received one as well (as I'm sure everyone who has applied has). I cannot access the website, anyone else having this problem?

Didn't get one yet. Weird. They don't screen do they? :scared:

I think your AMCAS has to be verified before they will send you the link.

If you are not attending college during the 2010-11 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Friend just got it.

Is this a typo? The 2010-2011 academic year already passed; are they referring to the 2011-2012 academic year? :confused: Hasn't anyone called them and asked them this?

Have any MD/PhD applicants received secondaries yet?

Is this a typo? The 2010-2011 academic year already passed; are they referring to the 2011-2012 academic year? :confused: Hasn't anyone called them and asked them this?

Obviously I'm not the admissions office, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say the 2011-2012 year. I don't think that the secondary itself is old though (i.e. this isn't an expired version that is no longer good for submission). I think it's just a typo that they didn't change since last year. They link you from their own email to the secondary application, with your name and AAMC ID, so as long as you don't need to answer that particular essay prompt, I see no problem with submitting the secondary as soon as you are ready. I submitted mine today, and I overanalyze every last detail of these applications! Let 'er rip if you're ready and confident!!

I VERY briefly in one line said what I did in 2010-2011 and used the rest of the space to say what I plan to do this year.

Do both questions need to be answered?
What sort of response are they looking for as far as "why Cornell" is concerned? I picked many of my schools for their proximity to my home, as I have family that cannot yet leave the state to come live with me. That somehow doesn't seem like an appropriate response, though.

Cool. secondary doesn't look tooooo long! Now I just gotta wait to be verified! :xf:

I got my secondary app this morning...Doesn't look too bad. Now the hard part begins...haha

QUESTION on the secondary:
If you placed out of Gen Chem and went into Orgo, what should you put in the Gen Chem section?
If you have more than 3 courses in a given subject, can you add boxes, or just list the first three or last three courses in that subject?
If you are submitting a committee letter, do you enter "School Name" in the From box and leave Affiliation blank?

thanks! first secondary, so exciting :D

Anybody else still waiting on a secondary invitation?

I received mine this morning, but the spacing on the essays is not working. Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: I called Admissions, and they said that it will look fine on their end. Shout out to them, because they were extremely nice.

Last edited:
the links dont work on their e-mail for the secondary? anyone else having trouble with this?

Is there anyway to save the information on the secondary? Also, does the submit button at the bottom automatically submit it?

One more, if I took the Ochem Series at CC, should I list a course like Biochem or Pchem instead of my second semester of Ochem (as they both count for the requirement)?

the links dont work on their e-mail for the secondary? anyone else having trouble with this?

Mine worked fine. I submitted it using firefox so maybe try another browser?

Is there anyway to save the information on the secondary? Also, does the submit button at the bottom automatically submit it?

If you hit submit, it brings you to a page to view your app - you can hit a back button on that page and everything is saved. If you stay on the initial page where you fill everything out, you can time out after 30 minutes.

Just hit submit on the first page, but you have to make sure you input something in every required field. When you get to the second page where you have the choice of making a payment or going back to change your application, your responses should be saved now. You can now close your window and re-log in and all your information should be there.

Beware though, the window times-out after 30 minutes of inactivity and nothing will be saved.

it wont work on my mac!!! i tried firefox, chrome, and safari!!!
here's the link im trying: http://osaf.med.cornell.edu/

whatt do i do!!?!?!? aahhh

I have a Mac and it's working fine, so I'm not sure what's up. This is the exact thing that pops up when I click on that link though, maybe try this? If not, definitely call the admissions office tomorrow, but don't worry the app is really short, so you won't be behind.

https://s018.med.cornell.edu:8443/OSAF/WebObjects/OSAF.woa

They say to enter coursework information exactly as it appears on AMCAS. So does this mean that if I took a class during the spring of 2009, I would put the "term year" as 2008 (since the AMCAS year starts in the summer and goes through spring)?

They say to enter coursework information exactly as it appears on AMCAS. So does this mean that if I took a class during the spring of 2009, I would put the "term year" as 2008 (since the AMCAS year starts in the summer and goes through spring)?

That's what I did. Weird, but alright. I suppose 2008-2009 = 2008, and etc.

I don't know if anyone is still waiting for invites, but I was verified yesterday and got my invite today.

Hi All,

Just finished my first year at WCMC. Am very active in the Music and Medicine initiative, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the program. We do provide funding and access to coaching at Juilliard. We also have an incredibly awesome music room, access to funding to go to the opera on the school's dime, and in general, we have an incredible forum in which network with our fellow musicians!

Feel free to PM me with questions about WCMC or M&M. I'm an honest person =]

Here are some links.

Songs from the Class of 2014 Show are on YouTube for your viewing pleasure. This was an original musical by our class. Script was written by one of classmates, music and lyrics composed by another, and finally orchestrated by yet another. We were proud to go from zero script, case, orchestra, or music to full production in eight weeks, while taking our anatomy course =] Ahhh the blessings of getting out class at 1 PM and living in a Pass/Fail, collaborative environment. The entire orchestra, cast, and crew (including light, sound, costumes, scene changes) is made up of first-year students at WCMC.

1. Overture and opening scene/song: Don't Ask Another Question
In which medical students lament end-of-lecture questions and consider their future medical careers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9jlN6Z9iZE

2. The Caryn Davi Song
In which Caryn Davi, Bo Randall, Frederick the tech guy, and Packet Guy plot to take over Weill Cornell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkULZXSzw10

3. The Medical Interview Song
In which Caryn Davi undergoes the typical first-year medical interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7JY1Qs8Lg

4. This Week Next Week
In which MGC course director Dr. Fuortes pontificates on life as a medical student
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJChnpGLOY

As for those of you out there who are jazzers, here are some links to a recent performance by the Weill Cornell Jazz orchestra. This group is interclass and includes both MD and MD/PhD from all different years. We were happy to invite Dr. David Shapiro and President-slash-Doctor David Skorton to perform with us.

Happily Ever After - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeyrtaqvgk
Agua de Beber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHP8sfiXa4
Lady Sings the Blues - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_ODg-pU8g
Firestorm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCnpNlubksU

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.