2011-2012 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No prompt

There is space to explain any time outside of school

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First! :D Love PA and am very interested in this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard bad news that drexel has problems getting its grads into residency programs?

I hope it doesn't.

(By the way, I think I've seen you in EVERY SCHOOL THREAD I'm applying to. Haha.)

Lol. I've been getting that a lot from people. Let's just hope we both get an acceptance out of one of those schools. :xf:

definitely applying here

anyone current students care to comment class cohesiveness in such a big class?

Drexel baby, let's do it. Goodluck to everyone out there--hope we all get what we want! :)

YNK22 - I'm not a current student at DUCoM, but I've visited the campus, talked with admissions, and I know many students that are going to be there next year. Since there's two tracks, IFM and PIL, the student body is split (more going into IFM since PIL is capped somewhere around 70 students). The curriculums are structured differently so you probably won't get to know too many of the students from the other curriculum. In a sense, it's two smaller classes combined into one whole 1st-year class. You do have the option to try out PIL for a week at the start of the 1st year before you make a decision, and you can also switch at the end of the first year. I was told it's easier to go PIL --> IFM than IFM --> PIL because the latter requires some studying/practicing over the summer. One of my friends just completed MS2 in IFM and he swears by that curriculum (easier to skip class and watch lectures later), but the student that gave me the tour was in his second year in PIL and he seemed to love it as well. So, it's really personal preference on learning styles, and you'll be surrounded by students that chose the same track as you.

If anyone has questions on the location or living in the Philadelphia area, please feel free to ask! I grew up in the suburbs and currently live in the city so I can hopefully help!

YNK22 - I'm not a current student at DUCoM, but I've visited the campus, talked with admissions, and I know many students that are going to be there next year. Since there's two tracks, IFM and PIL, the student body is split (more going into IFM since PIL is capped somewhere around 70 students). The curriculums are structured differently so you probably won't get to know too many of the students from the other curriculum. In a sense, it's two smaller classes combined into one whole 1st-year class. You do have the option to try out PIL for a week at the start of the 1st year before you make a decision, and you can also switch at the end of the first year. I was told it's easier to go PIL --> IFM than IFM --> PIL because the latter requires some studying/practicing over the summer. One of my friends just completed MS2 in IFM and he swears by that curriculum (easier to skip class and watch lectures later), but the student that gave me the tour was in his second year in PIL and he seemed to love it as well. So, it's really personal preference on learning styles, and you'll be surrounded by students that chose the same track as you.

If anyone has questions on the location or living in the Philadelphia area, please feel free to ask! I grew up in the suburbs and currently live in the city so I can hopefully help!
thanks for the answer, I was unaware of the class split

Members don't see this ad :)
Freshly hatched third year student at Drexel here. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer any that I see. If anyone has any questions they're embarassed to ask in the thread, feel free to message me (I don't know what would be too embarrassing but I guess something along the lines of "I am interviewing in a month. can you tell me what a doctor is?" would count)

Re: class cohesiveness

PIL, as the smaller of the two curriculums, tends to be more cohesive by its nature. This is compounded by the fact that its atomic unit is the small group, which adds an extra level of social togetherness to the whole thing. As an someone who went through IFM, I can tell you that while it is larger, people tend to be just as friendly. You'll fall into your own groups and friends and the like, but from my experience everyone has seemed pretty cool and you can involve yourself further in the student body by involving yourself in activities and events.

And then in third year the difference vanishes because IFM and PIL have poofed away and everyone is in the same boat.

ok seriously whats with all the $100+ secondaries! Why can't everyone be like UCincy and charge like 25 bucks...im gonna end up taking loans just to apply to med schools :p

ok seriously whats with all the $100+ secondaries! Why can't everyone be like UCincy and charge like 25 bucks...im gonna end up taking loans just to apply to med schools :p
Because, it's a sweet way of making money, which you cannot complain in this stage. However, there're also some great state schools around, which don't charge even a dime for their secondaries!.. All hail for all of them, though.

Hey there! Does this mean that you got their secondary? If so, would you mind sharing the prompts (if any)? Thanks!

Hey there! Does this mean that you got their secondary? If so, would you mind sharing the prompts (if any)? Thanks!

I didn't yet damn holiday vacation!..its on their website but it also says that there are no essays they only use the personal statement from amcas hope that helps it also says everyone gets a secondary and to call if u havent received it within 4 weeks of when ur amcas got verified

I didn't yet damn holiday vacation!..its on their website but it also says that there are no essays they only use the personal statement from amcas hope that helps it also says everyone gets a secondary and to call if u havent received it within 4 weeks of when ur amcas got verified

Shows your patriotism and goes well with the name lol..just kidding man! but I hear ya! Thanks a lot for letting us know about no essay part!

hahaha i mean i love the holiday i just dont like the extra day nobody is in the offices

hahaha i mean i love the holiday i just dont like the extra day nobody is in the offices

I know how you feel. I applied last year, and I couldn't WAIT for the week of christmas to be over (even though I like that time of year) because that meant admissions offices would reopen.

I know how you feel. I applied last year, and I couldn't WAIT for the week of christmas to be over (even though I like that time of year) because that meant admissions offices would reopen.

i mean lets be honest itd be better if the holidays fell on weekends :p

Incoming MS-1 in PIL, and I have yet to be informed of any "studying/practicing over the summer" unless you mean between M1 and M2. We do have additional sessions during the orientation week, but we're not having a separate pre-orientation this year.

If you have any questions about the application and interview process here, I'm happy to help. Just shoot me a PM or send up the bat signal or something.

How many of you guys have received a secondary from Drexel?

Thanks y'all. Feeling a little bit better about this now. Verified early June and in-state .. nothing either :idea:

i mean lets be honest itd be better if the holidays fell on weekends :p

We're in luck this year! Christmas eve/day and new year's eve/day are both on weekends (well one predicts the other, but...yeah)!

Thanks y'all. Feeling a little bit better about this now. Verified early June and in-state .. nothing either :idea:

They said it takes four weeks from when we were veryfied. But AMCAS didn't send out applications until June 17 and it's only been 3 weeks since June 17. So I don't think anyone will have the secondary yet :mad:

Please post as soon as anyone gets it! Thanks!

Incoming MS-1 in PIL, and I have yet to be informed of any "studying/practicing over the summer" unless you mean between M1 and M2. We do have additional sessions during the orientation week, but we're not having a separate pre-orientation this year.

Yes, I meant between MS1 and MS2 if you're switching curriculums from IFM to PIL. This is just what I was told from an admissions rep when I asked her questions after my tour. It's probably nothing too formal or rigorous, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Yes, I meant between MS1 and MS2 if you're switching curriculums from IFM to PIL. This is just what I was told from an admissions rep when I asked her questions after my tour. It's probably nothing too formal or rigorous, but I wouldn't know for sure.
Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up.

I wrote to Drexel about the when supplemental applications will be coming out and they said within the next week.

yes i have 8 to do right now, must submit 2 this week.

I'm in same boat with you three above me. 8 more to go till I catch up.

does drexel screen for secondaries? if they do does anyone know what it is

does anyone know what the character limit is for that "time off from education" q?

Finally got my secondary too :D. I love the PA schools.

I wish there was a section on the secondary that enabled me to let them know that I have family in PA.

I haven't gotten mine yet. Do you think I should contact admissions?

I haven't gotten mine yet. Do you think I should contact admissions?

I've not gotten one either so they probably aren't all released yet. If you call and ask though, they won't hold it against you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.