2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2011-2012 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing now that you are no longer a fulltime student.

Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
p/f for all four years? woah

p/f for all four years? woah

True P/F for years 1 & 2, H/HP/P/LP/F for years 3 & 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Yale is the only allopathic US medical school with true P/F for all four years. Clinical grades are a crucial component of your residency application, most schools use them.

True P/F for years 1 & 2, H/HP/P/LP/F for years 3 & 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Yale is the only allopathic US medical school with true P/F for all four years. Clinical grades are a crucial component of your residency application, most schools use them.

After much feedback from prior students, Yale is no longer P/F in years 3 & 4 and now mirrors Emory's curriculum as you've laid out in your post. You can check the 2010-2011 Yale thread to verify, as a current med student clarified this a few months ago.

does anyone know what emory looks for in its applicants? i've seen people who get into harvard, hopkins, etc. but don't get an interview to emory. emory has lower stats but i'd say it's a comparable school to those -- does that mean emory looks more holistically at its applicants? i'd like to believe that...i have below avg stats but i'm nontrad and other parts of my app are solid.

does anyone know what emory looks for in its applicants? i've seen people who get into harvard, hopkins, etc. but don't get an interview to emory. emory has lower stats but i'd say it's a comparable school to those -- does that mean emory looks more holistically at its applicants? i'd like to believe that...i have below avg stats but i'm nontrad and other parts of my app are solid.

There's also a fair number of applicants who were interviewed/accepted to Emory and those other schools as well, so I wouldn't read too much into it. All schools are looking for essentially the same things: strong academic record, a passion for service & medicine, demonstrated intellectual curiosity, a good personality etc...

That being said, Emory loves unique applicants (as do most schools). This year's incoming class is very diverse (in every sense of the word), and nontrads are well-represented throughout the student body. If you really like the school and have a good story, you should definitely apply! :thumbup:

Debating on whether or not to apply here...my MCAT is a 29 so I am below avg., from Fl. too. But I will have a MSMS degree in a couple months. I have Emory selected as of yet, but I am still working on my PS so I have a little time to decide.

Any input? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard of the South

It seems someone at every good southern university has tried to claim this title. Duke and Vanderbilt would definitely give Emory a run for its money. For medical schools, maybe also Baylor.

It seems someone at every good southern university has tried to claim this title. Duke and Vanderbilt would definitely give Emory a run for its money. For medical schools, maybe also Baylor.

Except I've heard Ivy league grads refer to Vanderbilt in that way ;).

I love Emory, but am wondering if I should even apply since it's usually a favorite for students from my undergrad. I think over 80 applied last year...

Marge: "You could still go to McGill. The Harvard of Canada."
Lisa: "Anything that's the something of the something isn't really the anything of the anything!"

Marge: "You could still go to McGill. The Harvard of Canada."
Lisa: "Anything that's the something of the something isn't really the anything of the anything!"

I thought of this quote too! :laugh:

I'm still really impressed with Emory, though.

hi guyss,

I am planning on applying to emory this cycle. I was just on their admissions site, and I saw this:

"In order to meet Emory course requirements, you will need to complete at least four full years, with labs, in the basic sciences (one year in each of the following areas: biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics). We expect medical school students to have a sound knowledge in these areas, prior to attending medical school."

I had to graduate a semester early due to financial reasons, but I was still able to do a double major in a science/non-science ( i had to take 2 humanities summer classes). Does this mean I can't apply because I had to graduate a semester early?

hi guyss,

I am planning on applying to emory this cycle. I was just on their admissions site, and I saw this:

"In order to meet Emory course requirements, you will need to complete at least four full years, with labs, in the basic sciences (one year in each of the following areas: biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics). We expect medical school students to have a sound knowledge in these areas, prior to attending medical school."

I had to graduate a semester early due to financial reasons, but I was still able to do a double major in a science/non-science ( i had to take 2 humanities summer classes). Does this mean I can't apply because I had to graduate a semester early?

When they say 4 years, I'm pretty sure they mean 4 years' worth of science pre-reqs (1 year Bio + 1 year Gen Chem + 1 year of Organic Chem + 1 year physics = 4 years). Not 4 years of undergrad.

Btw, just got the following e-mail from Emory:

We have received your verified 2012 application data from AMCAS.

The 2012 Emory Supplemental Application website is scheduled to open in July 2011. As soon as the site is open, we will send you more details by email. All verified applicants will be invited to complete the Emory Supplemental Application.

In the meantime, please be sure to keep your contact information, particularly your email address, updated with AMCAS. Your preferred email address with AMCAS is where we will send the supplemental application link and log-in instructions.

We thank you for your interest in Emory University School of Medicine!

^^^ Got the same email.

Also received that email. Looking forward to filling out this secondary and hearing back from them!

hi guyss,

You're good to go. In fact, I graduated a semester early and am matriculating at Emory in just a few short weeks. Good luck!

So I recently heard that the lowest MCAT considered by Emory is a 30. Is this true? I've yet to read it anywhere....

So I recently heard that the lowest MCAT considered by Emory is a 30. Is this true? I've yet to read it anywhere....

Not sure about minimum requirement, but MSAR states that bottom 10%ile last year was a 31.

Got the "We've verified your app" e-mail. Waiting on those secondaries to become available! GOOD LUCK TO US ALL! :luck:

I also got the secondary email.

According to the Emory adcomm I know, 30 is generally the lowest.

Received email to complete secondary. Excited to apply to Emory!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the application? Specifically, the payment?

could someone post the questions?

These are all of the questions I could find.

If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2011-2012 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing now that you are no longer a fulltime student.

Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)

Last edited:
Submitted. Payment is now functional.

Finished secondary, paid the fee, and submitted the application. Excited about Emory!

How are you guys approaching this question without repeating, verbatim, what is on your primary?

Last edited:
Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about my shadowing experiences and what I learned from them for the health-related experiences?

P.S. I know it says to limit to 100 words but how strictly are you guys adhering to that?

Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about my shadowing experiences and what I learned from them for the health-related experiences?

P.S. I know it says to limit to 100 words but how strictly are you guys adhering to that?
For the first question, I think it would be appropriate to talk about shadowing.

For the second question, keep it to 100 words or less. Show that you can follow directions! :laugh:

For the first question, I think it would be appropriate to talk about shadowing.

For the second question, keep it to 100 words or less. Show that you can follow directions! :laugh:

Thanks Nadaba! It'll be hard but I'll try to limit to 100 words.:laugh:

Is that a serious question? -or are you just trying to advertise that you're an undergrad at Emory?

It is a serious question. I heard some top medical schools like to take kids who went there for undergrad. They show some preference for their own students. I have heard this about JHU and NU.

It is a serious question. I heard some top medical schools like to take kids who went there for undergrad. They show some preference for their own students. I have heard this about JHU and NU.

I think ~all medical schools accept a higher rate of in-home applicants than any other school. I'm sure it's because they have more information on those students than they do most other applicants, considering the on-campus connections.

Does it need to be full sentences? Or can it be like: "Fall 2010 - shadowed primary-care physician and cardiologist, weekly 2 hours."

Also, diggin the CA flag avatar :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.