2011-2012 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG School of Medicine, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The region of the country, the name of the state, the region of the state and the name of the town and county.

If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information not previously included in your AMCAS application or this supplement that you feel the admission committee should consider when evaluating your application.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thought I'd be the first to post here. Georgia residents, where you at? :p

Here I am!!! Ill be submitting soon, then the final wait begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay Georgia! It's nice to be here for the summer after 3 years in Texas

PA resident, but I go to UGA .. too bad I have no remote chance as an OOS. Haha, but hey - good luck to all of you; great school

Sammich, I just PM'd you the prompts from this years secondary app.

Sammich, I just PM'd you the prompts from this years secondary app.

I don't think Samm actually attends MCG/GHSU. That person is a mod who creates a lot of these class threads.

Good luck everyone! EDP acceptances are only 3 months away!

I just received my secondary email. I'm a GA resident applying this cycle. I noticed it said to submit the application 2 weeks after receiving it. Did those that already received theirs already submit?

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah I got mine 6/17 and had it submitted by 7/1

Filling out the secondary, quick question: When entering courses, what grade did you put for courses you hadn't received a grade for yet (there are a few courses I am still in the process of taking, or am taking in the fall). It doesn't let you enter the course without a grade. I was thinking "N/A" ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to start my first year at MCG in August. I know EDP application time is in full swing, so I thought I'd lend a little of my knowledge to answer questions and hopefully calm some nerves. I was an EDP applicant last year and here is my timeline:

7/26: Secondary submitted
8/2: ED interview invite
8/16: ED interview
9/10: ED acceptance

My stats were 3.65 GPA/33 MCAT, science major at UGA. Feel free to ask me anything about the ED process. Best of luck.

Filling out the secondary, quick question: When entering courses, what grade did you put for courses you hadn't received a grade for yet (there are a few courses I am still in the process of taking, or am taking in the fall). It doesn't let you enter the course without a grade. I was thinking "N/A" ?

If anyone has the same issue, I spoke with admissions and they said to enter "TBD" or "NA" for a grade.

Does mcg EDP have rolling admissions or does the ad-comm meet after all of interviews are done like at mercer? I'm not going to submit my primary until Tuesday, when my mcat score is released, will that hurt my chances?

Does mcg EDP have rolling admissions or does the ad-comm meet after all of interviews are done like at mercer? I'm not going to submit my primary until Tuesday, when my mcat score is released, will that hurt my chances?

What I understood from last year is that all EDP acceptances are sent out on the same date. Those who don't get in EDP are then "rolled" over to Regular. As for question #2, I submitted my primary last year right after receiving my June MCAT scores and I still got one of the first interview invites. I would say a later submission doesn't hurt so long as your stats are competitive. The main thing is to have primary ready to submit when scores come in and get all other required documents (LORs, tuition classification, etc.) in ASAP.

I am working on the secondary application and am a little confused about what documents I need to include. I am a Georgia resident since birth and so are both my parents. I go to school in Georgia, am a dependent of my parents on the last tax return, and we are not military.

I thought I needed to include: Parents 2010 tax form, my drivers license, mothers drivers license, fathers drivers license, and my passport. Is there anything else I need to include?

I cannot tell if things like utility bills, voter registration, and vehicle registration need to be included also.

Thanks!

I am working on the secondary application and am a little confused about what documents I need to include. I am a Georgia resident since birth and so are both my parents. I go to school in Georgia, am a dependent of my parents on the last tax return, and we are not military.

I thought I needed to include: Parents 2010 tax form, my drivers license, mothers drivers license, fathers drivers license, and my passport. Is there anything else I need to include?

I cannot tell if things like utility bills, voter registration, and vehicle registration need to be included also.

Thanks!

I was exact same status as you. All that I sent in was mine and my parents driver's licenses and their tax returns showing my dependence. This was enough to prove my residency. I did have to get a new license, because MCG wouldn't honor any license issued prior to 2008.

Quoted from last year's secondary application:
"EXAMPLES of Required GA Tuition Classification Documents:

If you are claiming GA tuition classification and your parents or legal guardians claimed you on their most recent tax forms (i.e. 2010); you need to submit a copy of their tax forms showing you as a dependent and copies their GA driver's licenses and a copy of your driver's license."

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah my license is from before 2008, but I am hoping it will suffice since I also included a current passport. That is the way the instructions read to me, but I may be wrong.

Did having to get a new license delay your application?

Did having to get a new license delay your application?

No, the Board of Regents did not pass the new "stricter" tuition classification guidelines until I was already accepted. I just had to go to DMV and get it updated (chock up another $20 to the cost of a medical education haha) and send proof to MCG.

Note to others: The new way the DMV does licenses is to give you a paper temporary copy the day you renew and then mail you your official card license later. They say to allow 30 days, but it took mine about 3 weeks to arrive. So, plan accordingly. MCG did allow a scan of my temporary to suffice until my official one came--then I had to send them a scan of that to fulfill the requirement.

OK, so I just got the "magic number 30" on mcat, have a 3.90 gpa and average to above average extracurriculars, but after hearing too many stories of people with similar stats not getting in, I'm still feeling nervous about my chances of admission in to mcg, especially considering the recent spike in average stats and decrease in EDP acceptances. What else could I do to increase my chances at this point?

OK, so I just got the "magic number 30" on mcat, have a 3.90 gpa and average to above average extracurriculars, but after hearing too many stories of people with similar stats not getting in, I'm still feeling nervous about my chances of admission in to mcg, especially considering the recent spike in average stats and decrease in EDP acceptances. What else could I do to increase my chances at this point?

EDP ftw.

Are the questions posted by Sammich117 the secondary questions for this year? Also has any EDP applicant on here gotten an interview yet?

I got an EDP interview invite on Wed (7/27) via email.

"I got an EDP interview invite on Wed (7/27) via email"
Cool, what was your gpa/mcat?

So still working on my 2ndary but just wanted some opinions on my chances. FYI I really want to get into MCG to intern in the Children's Medical Center and that will be in my essay.

So GPA at graduation in Dec should be right around 3.75-3.8
Science GPA is around 3.9

I have taken all required classes plus Microbial classes, a research project focusing on genetic studies of Candida albicans and dubliniesis, and Biochem.

I work as a PT Aide and have easily over 500 hours of patient care. I have just started shadowing an Orthopedic surgeon in office and surgery and I'm up to around 50 hours and still gaining. I started shadowing so late because I have been schooling so hard. I just turned 21 and will graduate in Dec. which will allow me more shadowing time plus I hope to do some tutoring.

30R Mcat: 12 VR, 11, Bio, 7 PS

I know PS is a bit low but if people read elsewhere on these forums to the 6/16 MCAT you will see the total ridiculousness of my 8 am exam compared to the 2pm that day. On practice tests I usually scored around a 10.

My professors really like me so I'm not too concerned about my Pre-Profession Committee letter. The head of the committee has little doubt I will get it but always nice to see how you compared to people already in.

Any response or opinions about my application would be appreciated. Still working on the 2ndary so it's not to late to use some of yalls ideas. I am applying early admission.

Thank you

Last edited:
So still working on my 2ndary but just wanted some opinions on my chances. FYI I really want to get into MCG to intern in the Children's Medical Center and that will be in my essay.

So GPA at graduation in Dec should be right around 3.75-3.8
Science GPA is around 3.9

I have taken all required classes plus Microbial classes, a research project focusing on genetic studies of Candida albicans and dubliniesis, and Biochem.

I work as a PT Aide and have easily over 500 hours of patient care. I have just started shadowing an Orthopedic surgeon in office and surgery and I'm up to around 50 hours and still gaining. I started shadowing so late because I have been schooling so hard. I just turned 21 and will graduate in Dec. which will allow me more shadowing time plus I hope to do some tutoring.

30R Mcat: 12 VR, 11, Bio, 7 PS

I know PS is a bit low but if people read elsewhere on these forums to the 6/16 MCAT you will see the total ridiculousness of my 8 am exam compared to the 2pm that day. On practice tests I usually scored around a 10.

My professors really like me so I'm not too concerned about my Pre-Profession Committee letter. The head of the committee has little doubt I will get it but always nice to see how you compared to people already in.

Any response or opinions about my application would be appreciated. Still working on the 2ndary so it's not to late to use some of yalls ideas. I am applying early admission.

Thank you

Georgia resident? If so, then looks good. Please don't use that MCAT excuse in an interview or personal statement. A 7 on physical is a 7 on physical, regardless of date and time. I think adcom would like to see you retake the MCAT to get better than a 7, but your overall score is fine. To me, only taking it once makes it look like you were satisfied with a 7.

Can anyone tell me the secondary app URL? I apparently lost mine, and need to update some information.

Thanks!

So, bump. Has anyone else received an EDP interview invite? Getting antsy over here. . .

For those who have received EDP interview invitations, about how long did it take after submitting your secondary app?

I submitted AMCAS 6/28 and secondary around 7/3 I believe. good luck!

Just got an interview invite. Submitted EDP last Sunday. Does anyone have advice for interview?

For the folks that just interviewed, how did everything go?

Last edited:
When do your references show up on your app status page? I've submitted my secondary, but my primary isn't verified yet. Does it show up after my primary is verified?

For the folks that just interviewed, how did everything go?

I interviewed on Thurs 8/18. There were 7 or 8 applicants there that day for interviews. The staff were super nice and tried to ease our nerves as much as possible.

I felt my interview went pretty well. It was very conversational. We talked about my background, research, leadership, etc. We also talked at length about baking and dogs. Pretty laid back. I guess it took 40-45 mins.

I think everyone that day felt pretty good about their interviews after the fact.

I guess there is still the rest of this week for EDP interviews, so good luck to those still waiting.

Also:
Relax. While you are justified in worrying a little, it's not going to be as bad as you might think.

@houndofspace

Thanks for the reply, but I just interviewed yesterday and agree with you completely about the interview. It was very straight forward, my interviewer was very nice and we basically just had a conversation in her clinic. There weren't even any real "interview" type questions, we just talked about the medical field in general and some of my interesting experiences.

But now that I think about it, every one that interviewed on my day felt the same way, which leads me to believe the ad-comm. may have to nit pit during the ad-comm meetings to weed out people b/c everyone that interviewed probably isn't going to get a seat.

Another interesting point is that only ~60 ppl even got an EDP interview(the last day is this Wed.) when it was like 80 last year and even more the year before.

Does anyone know what criteria the admissions commitee uses to make decisions after the interview and they come up with that decision?

Hoping someone can address a concern of mine.

My AMCAS verified near the end of June, and I was happy to return from vacation on July 5th and see a secondary request from MCG! After much painstaking writing, I submitted the supplemental info on July 14th and went along on my merry way.

I was reading through my old emails and just glanced at the MCG request. The date it was sent was June 28th :( That would be a submission 2 weeks + 2 days from the request date and, depressingly, 2 days past the deadline.

I did receive an email from admissions asking for some additional information this week, so I know they didn't just throw it out.

My question for anyone with insider info is, does being 2 days past the deadline = absolute rejection? I'm hoping since it was still early on (reg decision) they might cut me a break. Or is this a better luck next year type of thing.

Please don't tear me down more if you are just speculating. My weakened spirit can't take it :scared: I was hoping someone might have an example where someone submitting late had success. Or (hopefully not) an example where admissions specifically addressed someone who passed the deadline.

Thanks much.. good luck to you all through this horrible process.

@premedk

Only ~60 applicants were interviewed for EDP this year? An adcom member I met at the Athens campus said that more than 90 were interviewed last year, so that's quite a drop. She also told me that more than 60 of those interviewed for EDP last year were accepted.

As to how they deliberate after the interviews are completed: that is a good question. From what I understand, each applicant is presented to the committee in turn and given a some sort of score. Pretty sure there isn't a clear formula, as it's hard to quantify things such as a good interview or valuable volunteer experience. After the lot of applicants have been "scored" the committee decides where the cutoff is going to be and that's that. If you don't make the cut for EDP, you keep your score and they push you to the RegDec pool.

It's kind of a black box. Unless you're on the adcom, you don't really know how it works. You just give them your best numbers and brightest smile and hope for the best.

Here's hoping for ~2/3 EDP acceptance again this year!

I thought it was a straight vote. I believe our host said there's 27 people on the committee, 13 physicians and 13 other staff, and 1 volunteer from the community who doesn't work for the committee (such as an alumni). 14 yes's get you in.

Anyway, however it works, I find it surprising that only 60 people got EDP invites. I'd like to know the total number that applied ED.

Any word on when the committee meets and when decisions will be made? I know they said definately before Oct.1, likely a few weeks earlier. But the wait is killing me. I don't know whether to start thinking about secondaries for other schools and DO/overseas options or to just wait it out. Is it true they sometimes call before before emails are sent out? I'm also interested to know how I size up with other EDP interviewees with my 3.92/30.

Committee meets every Thursday night for a few weeks, trying to get decisions sent out by mid September. This wait is hard, but so far not as bad for me as the MCAT score waiting. We'll see if that changes here in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.