2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No prompt

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This thread is my home. I'm leaning heavily toward EDP at MCW. Any others looking seriously at MCW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to go here. A lot of my family is all over Wisconsin. My cousin also went here and loved it.

MCW Class of 2016! I deferred so I'll be starting with all of you guys next fall. Seems to be a great year to be starting here -- I'm real excited about the new curriculum.

Good luck to all of you applying this year!

what's good about MCW? someone sell me.

Hey all,

Current M2 at MCW here. I'll be stopping by this page throughout the cycle to offer help/answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or post them here and I'll try to get back ASAP.

Good luck!

what's good about MCW? someone sell me.

Things I like:
- Large class, small, freestanding school. Much like my undergrad, which I liked. I have no love for the typical Big College Campus.
- High marks for patient care but still lots of opportunities for research.
- Milwaukee is a good size, easy to get around, relatively close to both Chicago and wilderness.
- Discount for in-state.
- Lots of diversity in the area, medically.
- I haven't disliked any student I've met from MCW, which is saying something.
- SDN is full of anecdotes about how helpful their admissions staff is.
- I think I've read that their Step 1 scores are slightly above nat'l average, but I can't confirm that.
- Grading scale is absolute, not relative. You're not competing with classmates for one of 5 Honors grades available.
- No secondary essay (not that you should base your next four years on this...).
- Lots of tutoring/support services available (from what I'm told).
- Student-run free clinic.

On the downside:
- Not a lot of scholarship money available.
- Snow. Cold. Heat. Humidity. Sometimes within days of each other.
- Public transit is meh, at best.
- Not a "big name."
- Getting Wisconsin resident status is a b*tch.
- Lots of turmoil in state government around education right now; may lose some of the in-state stipend.

Not sure how I feel:
- New curriculum in the pipeline
- Pathways
- Not as much (if any?) recorded video lectures

Things I like:
- Large class, small, freestanding school. Much like my undergrad, which I liked. I have no love for the typical Big College Campus.
- Milwaukee is a good size, easy to get around, relatively close to both Chicago and wilderness.
- Discount for in-state.
- I think I've read that their Step 1 scores are slightly above nat'l average, but I can't confirm that.
- Grading scale is absolute, not relative. You're not competing with classmates for one of 5 Honors grades available.
- No secondary essay (not that you should base your next four years on this...).

On the downside:
- Not a "big name."
- Lots of turmoil in state government around education right now; may lose some of the in-state stipend.

Not sure how I feel:
- Pathways

Yeah, this list seems generally accurate. Just a note, all of our lectures are video recorded and audio recorded which is very nice. I'm not sure how this will work with the new curriculum though since it's mostly based around small-group activities.

I'd also add that there seems to not be much merit-based aid for the first two years, but in the recent past, 4th year students have been receiving pretty nice grants (free money).

Things I like:
- Discount for in-state.

On the downside:
- Not a "big name."

Not sure how I feel:
- Pathways

Notified about 4 days ago that the in-state resident capitation credit will NOT be cut.

well when you say it's not a big name, isn't it comparable to schools like temple, drexel, jefferson etc.? thanks for the pro/con list. that was VERY helpful.

well when you say it's not a big name, isn't it comparable to schools like temple, drexel, jefferson etc.? thanks for the pro/con list. that was VERY helpful.

MCW has a very solid reputation and recognition within the medical community. But, to the average person the name doesn't mean anything because it's not associated with a national university (and isn't Mayo).

If you want to go by rankings, it looks like MCW is ahead of those schools you listed anyways (but tied with Temple for research).

Members don't see this ad :)
what GPA cum and sci and MCAT score is usually sufficient to get an interview at CMS? Because in the end, it's a numbers game everywhere and subjective stuff plays a minor role but greater role in the interview...

MCW has a very solid reputation and recognition within the medical community. But, to the average person the name doesn't mean anything because it's not associated with a national university (and isn't Mayo).

If you want to go by rankings, it looks like MCW is ahead of those schools you listed anyways (but tied with Temple for research).

Yeah, this is what I meant by putting big name in "".

That being said, I also wouldn't call Jefferson, Drexel, or Temple big names. Most midwestern people wouldn't even know those are universities, let alone medical schools.

And to the Mayo reference, there are people in health care in Wisconsin in hospitals affiliated with Mayo who have no idea that Mayo has a medical school. Mayo's fame is in treating, not teaching.

what GPA cum and sci and MCAT score is usually sufficient to get an interview at CMS? Because in the end, it's a numbers game everywhere and subjective stuff plays a minor role but greater role in the interview...

It would appear you're in the wrong thread? CMS?

While there is a numbers component to things, I think it's a bit of a stretch to just say it's a numbers game. No matter what your numbers say, you're never guaranteed an interview.

That being said, MCW's accepted student medians are 32Q, 3.75. So I suppose if you're over that with average EC's you've got a good shot at an interview?

yeah it's hard to predict where I'll get interviews but being above those numbers probably helps and in the end, I think they do look for well-rounded applicants but the MCAT and GPA play the major roles in the initial screening I think?

WI Resident, went to undergrad in milwaukee for two years, really love the city and MCW is near the top of my choices.

Would love to go to MCW because of their integrated clinical and case based learning structure. Im all about application of the sciences towards practice, and Ive been itching all undergrad to get some real exposure. This medical program lets me get that in the first year!

According to the Admissions Director, a 7 in any section of the MCAT will be an automatic rejection. Having a single 8 will cause them to look very closely to see if there is something outstanding about your application to offset that 8. Strong MCAT score can offset a depressed GPA, but the opposite is not true.

According to the Admissions Director, a 7 in any section of the MCAT will be an automatic rejection. Having a single 8 will cause them to look very closely to see if there is something outstanding about your application to offset that 8. Strong MCAT score can offset a depressed GPA, but the opposite is not true.

Yeah, having a 7 in a section will make it more difficult to get interviews. That said, having a lower score in any one section shouldn't deter anyone from applying here. I had an 8 in one of my sections and was able to interview on the first day possible. Just make sure to put your best foot forward in the other areas of your app!

Yeah, having a 7 in a section will make it more difficult to get interviews. That said, having a lower score in any one section shouldn't deter anyone from applying here. I had an 8 in one of my sections and was able to interview on the first day possible. Just make sure to put your best foot forward in the other areas of your app!

So I have an 7 right now, but I am retaking the MCAT next week. Will my secondary be delayed until they receive my second MCAT score?

Would love to go to MCW because of their integrated clinical and case based learning structure. Im all about application of the sciences towards practice, and Ive been itching all undergrad to get some real exposure. This medical program lets me get that in the first year!

+1

So I have an 7 right now, but I am retaking the MCAT next week. Will my secondary be delayed until they receive my second MCAT score?

The secondary will not be delayed; however, they will not review your app as a whole until you get your scores back.

Anyone know when we can expect a secondary?

got mine around 9am PST. sigh i want to turn it in now but I gotta call about letter of rec requirements for grad students. here's to hoping they're not too strict about it otherwise there goes a waste of $33

got mine around 9am PST. sigh i want to turn it in now but I gotta call about letter of rec requirements for grad students. here's to hoping they're not too strict about it otherwise there goes a waste of $33

I got it at the same time. Grad school LOR requirements should be OK for me (I have a professor letter from grad school).

Anyone applying here with a committee letter? We obviously select the committee option, but then do we just add our other letters (from professors and clinical experiences) via the "optional letters" section?

submitted this as well. so in my secondary status, it says recommendations are not received but AMCAS has received my LORs. Is this normal or do I have to do something to get AMCAS to send reccs out to the schools?

thanks!

submitted this as well. so in my secondary status, it says recommendations are not received but AMCAS has received my LORs. Is this normal or do I have to do something to get AMCAS to send reccs out to the schools?

thanks!

you have to assign the letters to specific schools...when you do this amcas will deliver them to those schools.

I got it at the same time. Grad school LOR requirements should be OK for me (I have a professor letter from grad school).

Anyone applying here with a committee letter? We obviously select the committee option, but then do we just add our other letters (from professors and clinical experiences) via the "optional letters" section?

it's that dean's letter that's freaking me out. i'm gonna call on my lunch break and check it out. hopefully it'll be ok.

I'm applying committee letter. Based on the FAQ i'm pretty sure we just select committee letter even though additional individual letters are sent in a packet. Also, the way my school does it is that they choose which individual letters are sent so i have no idea if they received LORs from professors or employment or research.

Submitted.

it's that dean's letter that's freaking me out. i'm gonna call on my lunch break and check it out. hopefully it'll be ok.

I think you will be :).

I'm applying committee letter. Based on the FAQ i'm pretty sure we just select committee letter even though additional individual letters are sent in a packet. Also, the way my school does it is that they choose which individual letters are sent so i have no idea if they received LORs from professors or employment or research.

I did it the same way. I'm certain we did it correctly.

just called them. they're pretty strict about the letter from the dean or chair person

just called them. they're pretty strict about the letter from the dean or chair person

You have time to get one. I think it just needs to be basic- the instructions say it needs to state that they are aware of your plans to go to med school.

You have time to get one. I think it just needs to be basic- the instructions say it needs to state that they are aware of your plans to go to med school.

yea it's just a pain. i really don't see the point of it especially since you're already required to have grad letters

So do they need to have the Dean's letter on file for all current applicants as one of the 3 "extra" slots we have? I was going to use the space for letters from actual profs....:mad:

So do they need to have the Dean's letter on file for all current applicants as one of the 3 "extra" slots we have? I was going to use the space for letters from actual profs....:mad:

No- you do not put the Dean's letter in the three extra slots. You simply select the correct option that pertains to your graduate school enrollment.

So after certification you can check your status. When it says that they have not yet received my letter packet is it because they are still processing/filing/organizing everything?

I only ask because I submitted letters through my school which uses VirtualEvals and they received them at AMCAS before I submitted. I assume it's just something to wait on as they process the incoming secondaries, I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

Good luck to everyone filling out the secondary. Let the waiting begin.

So after certification you can check your status. When it says that they have not yet received my letter packet is it because they are still processing/filing/organizing everything?

I only ask because I submitted letters through my school which uses VirtualEvals and they received them at AMCAS before I submitted. I assume it's just something to wait on as they process the incoming secondaries, I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

Good luck to everyone filling out the secondary. Let the waiting begin.

I'm guessing you're right; I wouldn't sweat it. I'd give them about a week or so to mark your application as complete. Good luck to you.

I'm guessing you're right; I wouldn't sweat it. I'd give them about a week or so to mark your application as complete. Good luck to you.

Ya'll got me uber scared about all this dean's letter talk(I already submitted all my letters)....just realized this is for graduate students only PHEW

Hey guys.

Long-time SDN lurker, first time poster here. I'm super stoked about MCW but I had a question about letters that I'm hoping someone can answer.

On the primary app I designated my letters as a letter packet. Right now I don't have my LOR's uploaded on AMCAS. That's because only 2 of my 3 letters have been written by my university professors. The 3rd one will be ready by mid July. I also know that MCW only requires 2 undergrad letters but I'm almost certain that my 3rd one that's coming will be my strongest letter.

So my question is, is it better for me to A) send the 2 I have now through AMCAS and wait till mid July to send the 3rd one as an optional one or B) send all 3 through AMCAS in mid July?

Thanks a lot! Good luck to everyone.

Submitted my secondary today! Really simple and to the point. I like it! :xf:

So my question is, is it better for me to A) send the 2 I have now through AMCAS and wait till mid July to send the 3rd one as an optional one or B) send all 3 through AMCAS in mid July?

It won't matter because MCW (and every other med school) won't set eyes on your application until it is complete. Therefore, if you indicate on your secondary that there will be another letter (be it optional or required) on the way, they will put your application on hold until it arrives.

On a side note, it will likely not matter which letters you designate as 'required' and 'optional' as they will all (hopefully) be read anyway.

secondary received 1:24pm 6/17

Did any of you all upload a pic? What was the nature of the pic? Naked, passport photo, other photo??? Jk about the naked one tho...

I uploaded a picture of myself engaging in the athletic activity I mentioned I enjoyed in my primary. Thought it would be too stuffy and formal to upload my graduation picture or something.

Wow, I was not expecting that secondary to be so simple. o_O A good one to start with, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.