2011-2012 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my top choices as well! Well actually, all Illinois schools are :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone! Last year's thread is here if you're getting antsy. :) I'll be starting at Rush in the fall--feel free to PM me with any questions.

yea this is one of my top choices! :)

Maubs you're going to rush? CONGRATS!

I would love to go here. :love: Cook county hospital

I would love to get a chance at Rush this time around! Tip from a Rush reapplicant: this secondary is a BEAST. It might not hurt to look at last years prompts and at least get some ideas going.

Excited to apply here! It's one of my best fits and preferences.

I'm just here to stalk Steve. ;)

Just kidding, Rush was on my list a looooong time ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
And why isn't it now? I feel un-validated.

I think she was saying it was on her list before I jumped onto the thread, and that it still is. Personally, I think she is lying. :D

Excited for you to go to Rush man. This city has been my home forever, and Rush is an awesome place.

And why isn't it now? I feel un-validated.

It still is! I never took it off. :) The only time I ever feel like I want to take every Chicago school off my list is when I'm driving in my car. :p

Oh Steve, my love for you is like a truck. ;)

It still is! I never took it off. :) The only time I ever feel like I want to take every Chicago school off my list is when I'm driving in my car. :p

Yea, I get that a lot :oops:

Haha Steve, you're gathering quite a following! Good for you, making friends! Phew, now I won't feel obligated to reply to your PMs :)

Here is last year's sample application if you haven't already taken a gander at it. It was pretty much the same as the actual thing. And beastly, as was said by Donnie1310. /on-topic contribution

Motoring along Lake Shore Drive is kind of awesome, though. (When it's not rush hour or in the middle of an apocalyptic blizzard.) And, ummm... I probably take the S-curve way too fast. :oops:

...slow to accelerate and handles poorly? ;)

Excited for you to go to Rush man. This city has been my home forever, and Rush is an awesome place.

Thanks, Steve. Again, I wish you (and everyone else) the best of luck!

Here is last year's sample application if you haven't already taken a gander at it.

Ah yes, this was my favorite: "The journey to a career in medicine requires special motivation and a high level of commitment. Describe your personal and academic preparation for a career as a physician and reflect upon it from the perspective of an observer. Include any changes in your career path, change of major, time gaps in your education, period of grades below a 3.0 level, serious events/crises in your life that affected your path, either positively or negatively. (1000 characters max)"

Or, "Tell all of that in about a paragraph". The secondary is beastly in nature because it tends to be all about providing tons and tons of information in as few words as physically possible.

Ah yes, this was my favorite: "The journey to a career in medicine requires special motivation and a high level of commitment. Describe your personal and academic preparation for a career as a physician and reflect upon it from the perspective of an observer. Include any changes in your career path, change of major, time gaps in your education, period of grades below a 3.0 level, serious events/crises in your life that affected your path, either positively or negatively. (1000 characters max)"

Or, "Tell all of that in about a paragraph". The secondary is beastly in nature because it tends to be all about providing tons and tons of information in as few words as physically possible.

There was also great confusion about what it meant to "reflect upon it from the perspective of an observer." :)

:wow:

...slow to accelerate and handles poorly? ;)

Thanks, Steve. Again, I wish you (and everyone else) the best of luck!

...yes, but filled with a ton of horse power! :laugh:

Thanks for the good luck wishes- I know I will need it.

Just to make sure I am interpreting the website correctly, Rush wants a MAX of two letters?

1. Does RUSH take the highest, most recent MCAT composite? Combine scores? or Average scores?

2. Does the supp for Rush change year to year or is it the same from last years? Because their website says it won't be released until Aug. 1st, 2011...late I would think?

best of luck:)

Hm, my committee packet contains more than that. Oh well.

I think it's different if it's a committee packet. Send it off to them. I'm sure they won't discount your application because of an extra letter.

Adcoms seem to be increasingly lazy. Wanting to read less and less, interview less people and yet they still want to maintain academic excellence. Sort of sad actually.

I think it's different if it's a committee packet. Send it off to them. I'm sure they won't discount your application because of an extra letter.

Adcoms seem to be increasingly lazy. Wanting to read less and less, interview less people and yet they still want to maintain academic excellence. Sort of sad actually.

Yea, I think I should be OK. I actually can see why adcoms are cutting down on the amount of application material. That's a lot to read!

Yea, I think I should be OK. I actually can see why adcoms are cutting down on the amount of application material. That's a lot to read!

They're producing doctors... not trinkets for the dollar store.
Besides, they don't actually read EVERY word. That would take them a year just to get through everything. They skim, and get a feel for who you are. You either jive with them, or you don't.

They're producing doctors... not trinkets for the dollar store.
Besides, they don't actually read EVERY word. That would take them a year just to get through everything. They skim, and get a feel for who you are. You either jive with them, or you don't.

Eh, at the end of the day, I just want to get in :laugh:.

I just feel we are more than numbers and descriptions. We are human beings and more than just GPA and MCAT scores....Schools claim to be holistically analyzing applications looking for well rounded when in fact, I think they are looking at numbers mainly?

Of course, those numbers are important, but I feel life experiences, essays, and interviews are way more important.

Oh yes, Rush only takes 2 letters. They don't want to spend hours reading files I guess.

hmm...darn I sent them five and tried to go back and remove letters but couldn't. do you think it will be okay that I just indicate the two I want them to read on the secondary?

hmm...darn I sent them five and tried to go back and remove letters but couldn't. do you think it will be okay that I just indicate the two I want them to read on the secondary?

Contact them to ask. But I am sure that it will be fine. Indicate which letters you want them to read. Those will probably be the ones they pull and put into your file.

Hi ya'll! Just submitted my primary earlier, and thought I'd start with one school until verification. Rush is my one school; it was one of my favorite OOSs based on descriptions and random internet anecdotes. And location, I'd love to go to Chicago.

This is evil though...makes me wish I didn't have so many of those things to address.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi everyone-feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the Rush application..and later in the year when I get started at Rush, you can ask me about the school. Right now, I can only help with any questions you have about the application process.

Oh yes, Rush only takes 2 letters. They don't want to spend hours reading files I guess.

What two letters should it be then?? I have one from a premed committee and I guess that should be one, should the second be from a doctor, science prof, or non science prof??

Thanks schizo. I'm really hoping this thing doesn't change too much. I guess we'll see this wednesday:xf:

Looks like it's about to go live on the 6th?? (look at the end of the URL)

damn, too soon i have so many secondaries pending :(

Yeah, they're piling up. I'm sure a lot of people are feeling your pain--triage the best you can.

What two letters should it be then?? I have one from a premed committee and I guess that should be one, should the second be from a doctor, science prof, or non science prof??

The committee letter is sufficient. The options are either two individual letters, or one committee letter.

Motoring along Lake Shore Drive is kind of awesome, though. (When it's not rush hour or in the middle of an apocalyptic blizzard.) And, ummm... I probably take the S-curve way too fast. :oops:
pssshhh. Why drive on LSD, when you can boat right next to it. :p

That requires having access to a boat. ;_;
isn't that why we are becoming doctors? I know I plan on living on a boat one day, with a crocodile - yep, you can just call me Sonny Crockett, M.D. :laugh:

just trying to subscribe to this thread. isn't there a button somewhere? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.