2011-2012 Texas Tech (El Paso) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary application

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No interest in this school?

That is ok with me I will take it. It will not be much longer until this place is discovered. Great school and curriculum. +no secondary!

Yeah, everything I've read about this school has been very positive. I had some friends interview here last year and they were surprised by how impressed they were with such a new school.

Honestly one of my concerns is that I don't really speak any Spanish. I imagine during 3rd and 4th year and at any student-run clinics the patient population will be 75%+ Spanish speaking. It is a silly thing to worry about, but it is El Paso, after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, everything I've read about this school has been very positive. I had some friends interview here last year and they were surprised by how impressed they were with such a new school.

Honestly one of my concerns is that I don't really speak any Spanish. I imagine during 3rd and 4th year and at any student-run clinics the patient population will be 75%+ Spanish speaking. It is a silly thing to worry about, but it is El Paso, after all.

One of the admissions deans from Tech-El Paso came and spoke at our school this past semester and mentioned that classes and electives in medical Spanish are (I think) included in the curriculum there. I would have to check though. I would be interested in hearing how current students feel about the school and living in El Paso. It's pretty far from my home and all family/friends, but I'm definitely giving it a fair shot!

One of the admissions deans from Tech-El Paso came and spoke at our school this past semester and mentioned that classes and electives in medical Spanish are (I think) included in the curriculum there. I would have to check though. I would be interested in hearing how current students feel about the school and living in El Paso. It's pretty far from my home and all family/friends, but I'm definitely giving it a fair shot!

Yes a lot of people here do speak Spanish and yes Spanish is part of the curriculum. The weather is warm to hot year round and dry almost 0 humidity. Cost of living is low. You will need a car though El paso is spread out and some of the clinics are not close to campus. Initially my main reason for wanting to here is the fact that I am already stationed here. After multiple visits and talking to a few students professors and admissions I really like the entire program.

That's the other potential drawback for me--El Paso is pretty far from EVERYONE'S home (unless you're from El Paso, of course).

But I would still be totally happy going there.

Dude, this place would be perfect for learning spanish. Not to mention, the crime rate is super high for the city right next to it, Juarez. If I feel like the security around the school is sufficient, I would love to go here.

From what I hear the school is pretty safe. And because of the large hispanic community there are lots of oppertunity to volunteer in student run clinics

I've applied to this school and what interests me the most is the population that it serves. I hope I get a chance to interview!!!:xf: hope not too many applicants show interest on this school cuz then I will have a better chance....sorry to sound self-ish:oops:
Good luck everyone!!!

I've applied to this school and what interests me the most is the population that it serves. I hope I get a chance to interview!!!:xf: hope not too many applicants show interest on this school cuz then I will have a better chance....sorry to sound self-ish:oops:
Good luck everyone!!!
Are you a Texas Resident?

No :( BUT have family there :) in El Psao. Just taking a chance

Well best of luck then:thumbup:. Having family around would make it even better. The school is pretty wonderful and the faculty seem really down to earth

In about two weeks or so, we should start expecting the first interview invites from here. Last year the first interview invites got sent July9th for an intervew on August 5th(i think...).

Did everyone here get an email from El Paso saying that they got your primary from TMDSAS?

Dude, this place would be perfect for learning spanish. Not to mention, the crime rate is super high for the city right next to it, Juarez. If I feel like the security around the school is sufficient, I would love to go here.

Same here. I would love to learn medical Spanish- I want to do medical missions in the future and it would help a lot. I can speak conversational but I'd love to learn more.

BMEN-I got the email this past week also. Hoping to hear about an interview invite soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet! I got mine back June first and was wondering if anybody got theirs too. Anxiously waiting

Got an interview invite this afternoon!! Extremely excited about getting to see this school. I am having trouble scheduling the interview in Merlin, though- it says I have no status under the "interview scheduling" tab. Does anyone else have this problem too?

Congrats! Refer to last years TTU threads. Seems like Merlin does this.

Still nothing yet, praying for something

didnt get one either.

bmen, it seems like we're applying to a lot of the same schools

Seems like it. Im applying to all 9 texas schools and ~10 out of state. I want to stay in Texas really bad

Congrats! Refer to last years TTU threads. Seems like Merlin does this.

Still nothing yet, praying for something

That's all I've been doing- lots of praying. It will come, and it's still really early. I'm one of the few that hasn't heard from UTMB yet so I'm just thankful for any chances I get- hopefully more in the upcoming weeks too.

That's all I've been doing- lots of praying. It will come, and it's still really early. I'm one of the few that hasn't heard from UTMB yet so I'm just thankful for any chances I get- hopefully more in the upcoming weeks too.

Few? More like majority of people that haven't heard.

Few? More like majority of people that haven't heard.

Very true. I meant more like all of us who got our apps & secondaries in relatively early and that I've noticed throughout the threads for al the TX schools. Sorry about that lol

Very true. I meant more like all of us who got our apps & secondaries in relatively early and that I've noticed throughout the threads for al the TX schools. Sorry about that lol

Mine was transmitted on like 5/20 and I have no invites yet so I'm with you. Everyone I know that has gotten an interview has very good stats.

Hmm. I wonder how they're ordering applicants for interviews? My application was transmitted on 5/26 and I haven't heard anything from El Paso since June 1st when they got my primary.

I like to call shens until multiple people have said they have received something.

So far in Texas. UTMB, TCOM, and Tech EP (maybe?) have started inviting for interviews. I got nothing so far =(

I know it's early, but it sucks thinking that they have looked at my app and opted to not invite me. Maybe I should stop checking SDN, anytime I see others get phone calls and emails, while my inbox remains empty, I get a little depressed. Whatever, it's not like my stats are that great, pretty average... Just hope Texas schools like musicians.

Looking at last years threads, it seems like if you submit early, and don't get an interview early on in the season, you don't get an interview until much later. I could be totally wrong.

Transmitted June 10th.

Good luck everyone.

Hey its only June. We still got a long way to go until anything.

Interviews werent even offered for the most part until the 2ndish week of July last year. So strap in!

PianoMajor: When I visited UT-Houston 4 years ago the 3 medical students giving us a tour were music performance majors. That speaks for something

Hey its only June. We still got a long way to go until anything.

Interviews werent even offered for the most part until the 2ndish week of July last year. So strap in!

PianoMajor: When I visited UT-Houston 4 years ago the 3 medical students giving us a tour were music performance majors. That speaks for something

Exactly. I'm starting to think this is going to be worse then waiting on MCAT results when all is said and done. Might already be haha

Last year, they had interviews up to the end of January (yes, post-match interviews).

Congrats DoItToIt! Still hoping to get an interview here. I'm actually kinda shocked that only one SDN'er got an interview invite so far if they've already started sending them out lolz

Congrats DoItToIt! Still hoping to get an interview here. I'm actually kinda shocked that only one SDN'er got an interview invite so far if they've already started sending them out lolz

Thanks! I'm still surprised about it too. I figured I would log on yesterday and see a ton of other "interview invite" posts lol... I bet you'll hear in no time!

How long did it take everyone to get an email from el paso saying they have your primary application? My app was transmitted 6/13 and I still haven't heard anything from them.

Friend got invite to El Paso so they did sent out

They said MErlin was still being all crappy so they havent been able to sign up

Congrats DoItToIt :)

Did you get an email invite or a phone call?

I got an interview invite today around 1:30 p.m! :soexcited:

checking my email often hoping for an interview here haha

checking my email often hoping for an interview here haha

I'm hoping I'm not the only crazy one on here, but does anybody else get extremely nervous/excited everytime you have a new email, thinking it might be an invite from another school? I'm always really let down to see it's from some random site haha

I'm hoping I'm not the only crazy one on here, but does anybody else get extremely nervous/excited everytime you have a new email, thinking it might be an invite from another school? I'm always really let down to see it's from some random site haha

YES. When ever i see an unread email on my phone i get nervous.

For this reason I made a special email just for application season. its whats on my apps.

yay 2 emails

Status
Not open for further replies.