2011-2012 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Woo hoo! First response!

I'll be applying here this year. Love everything I've read about it, and think it fits me tremendously. Moving from NC to New Orleans would be a great adventure for my family and me!

Does Tulane have the highest secondary fee out of all the schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they waive the fee for those with FAP...just got mine approved today but I'm still worried about secondary costs. I know some schools don't waive it. Pretty sure I saw in MSAR that Tulane does, though. Which is awesome! I love this school!

I'm really on the fence about whether to apply to Tulane. My stats are good enough. Sway me?

Feel free to not apply as that would increase all of our chances. Just think of the expensive secondary... :D

Can anyone explain to me the differences between Tulane's New Orleans and Baton Rouge programs?

Just got the secondary email. Its $125 not $100 by the way. A few similar essays to AMCAS (like what is your most meaningful volunteer experience) but does not look too bad.

Just got the secondary email. Its $125 not $100 by the way. A few similar essays to AMCAS (like what is your most meaningful volunteer experience) but does not look too bad.

me too..

Got the secondary today and submitted shortly thereafter. Was surprised the fee was $125 but I'm pretty interested in this school and had already pre-written the essays. I checked off New Orleans Cares on the first page.. hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot by doing that as I didn't really know the difference between the two and felt that you had to check off at least one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)
Have you graduated? If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)
Study Abroad? Description. (150 words)
Most meaningful volunteer activity - Description. (150 words)
List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)
Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

I also got it and I'm frustrated because I thought they eliminated the fee with FAP, but it looks like the just reduce it...which I still can't pay. And they give a full reduction to AmeriCorps and Teach for America...but don't say anything about Peace Corps which I'm currently doing. Sooo, I emailed the office to find out. We'll see. If they don't give me a free application it looks like you will all have one less competitor!

"Applicants with an approved AMCAS fee waiver will be granted a fee reduction from Tulane of $62.50."

hmmm, I don't think I would have applied here if I knew this beforehand. :eyebrow:
The MSAR was really misleading in this case.

Such an expensive secondary! Gotta bite the bullet. I really want to see New Orleans.

"Applicants with an approved AMCAS fee waiver will be granted a fee reduction from Tulane of $62.50."

hmmm, I don't think I would have applied here if I knew this beforehand. :eyebrow:

Yep. I basically just wasted one of my 14 free spots. I am really ticked.
Oh, and Peace Corps doesn't count for a full reduction....so it looks like I'm out of the running for Tulane.
That was fast.

Oh, and Peace Corps doesn't count for a full reduction....so it looks like I'm out of the running for Tulane.
That was fast.

Yea no fee waiver here either :(. (Not that a $40 reduction is a waiver). I'm seriously broke too. Time to start turning tricks for app money....

That was fast.

Grrr.. I paid $33 for this school in hopes that at least the secondary will be free..

I just called Tulane and they said checking the cares/leads programs is just indicating that we're interested in getting more information about them. It's okay if we check both because we have to "apply" for it if we actually get accepted.

>10,000 apps at $125 a piece and $50k/year tuition? Talk about a ****in racket.

Oh, and they interview <4% of applicants. :eek:

just submitted! yeah, I'm currently with TFA and I had no secondary fee :)

Just submitted here. Tulane is pretty awesome.

just submitted! yeah, I'm currently with TFA and I had no secondary fee :)

Just to clarify.. I have an AmeriCorps job for the upcoming year that starts in September. Does the fee waiver apply to ALL AmeriCorps/TFA positions or just those in New Orleans/with Tulane? (I'll be in Nashville.) I can't find much information about it.

Just to clarify.. I have an AmeriCorps job for the upcoming year that starts in September. Does the fee waiver apply to ALL AmeriCorps/TFA positions or just those in New Orleans/with Tulane? (I'll be in Nashville.) I can't find much information about it.

I'm assuming its for any location. I'm currently in Washington, D.C. and the waiver still applied. They don't ask for your position's location

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)
Have you graduated? If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)
List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)
Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

So for "What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)" are they asking for one particular incident or situation or are they asking for one activity?

So for "What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)" are they asking for one particular incident or situation or are they asking for one activity?

I think either approach would be fine.

I talked about a very specific incident as well and how I reacted.

I talked about how a long term service project impacted me and why. For being a secondary, Tulane's want that bad. It was kinda nice and let me put somethings I might have forgotten on AMCAS

Tulane, in terms of secondaries, was beautiful.

Tulane in terms of everything else... is SEXY!

They're my number one choice out of state. I want them to want me. Community service for the win.

Did you guys get confirmation that your payment and secondary went through? All I got was a "thanks for registering" and an email saying that my form was submitted. I'm confused...

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.
)

can't they just read our AMCAS?

Yeah, I guess it seems like they just don't want to read our AMCAS. I hope that's false, I wrote a lot of good stuff in thurrrrrr

By list, should we really JUST list with no explanation?

Did you guys get confirmation that your payment and secondary went through? All I got was a "thanks for registering" and an email saying that my form was submitted. I'm confused...

yea thats what i was wondering too...like how do we check our status?
i guess they'll send us an email when its complete.

yea thats what i was wondering too...like how do we check our status?
i guess they'll send us an email when its complete.

Most likely an e-mail. There's no interface like at Univ of Michigan for example to log into.

Although, I think there should be for every school. Would make their lives easier. No pesky phone calls from trollin' gunner pre-meds.

Were you guys all verified before receiving secondaries? I know GW has been sending out their secondaries before you're even verified...is Tulane the same?

I was verified. The email i got for their secondary read like this

We have been notified by AMCAS that you intend to submit an application for admissions to Tulane University School of Medicine's entering Class of 2012. We are pleased that you are interested in our program and invite you to complete our secondary application.

Instructions and information for our secondary application are attached to this email. There have been many changes made to our application procedure, so it is very important that you read all of the instructions carefully before you go to the secondary application website to complete your application.

Were you guys all verified before receiving secondaries? I know GW has been sending out their secondaries before you're even verified...is Tulane the same?

I don't know about everyone else, but I was verified.
Also, I found the "most meaningful volunteer experience" a little redundant, considering we had to list 3 of those for AMCAS. I hate repeating information, but if I don't pick one of the 3 from my MCAT, it seems a little odd as well...

Whatever, here's to :luck:interviews:luck:

so did everyone really just relist everything from their AMCAS?

Why don't you just call and ask, since you don't trust us?

hm don't know why u refer to yourself as "us" as seeing you havent answered my question in any of the posts in this thread. you also havent been giving any helpful responses in most of your posts, which questions why you are even here to begin with.

the only thing in relation to my question which you responded to is
Yeah, I guess it seems like they just don't want to read our AMCAS. I hope that's false, I wrote a lot of good stuff in thurrrrrr
so once again, you havent answered my question, and the answer isn't in this thread as far as i can tell. if i'm wrong show me where it is instead of wasting my time and yours.

thanks Jake Sully wannabe Hugh Laurie

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.