2011-2012 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2. Please provide any additional insight into those personal characteristics you believe make you an ideal candidate for New Jersey Medical School (NJMS)? Please respond in 1500 characters or less.

For Out of State residents:
If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not NJ, you will be considered an out of state resident and will be required to answer questions 3a and 3b:
a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS. Please respond in 1000 characters or less.
b. Please discuss any significant connections to New Jersey (i.e. family, close friends, previous residence, etc.) Please respond in 1000 characters or less.

7. If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2011, please describe your planned activities from June 2011 through August 2012. Please respond in 3000 characters or less

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey i'm interested in applying early decision to NJMS. Anyone know what were the stats of people who were admitted through EDP?

I will be applying here, and hopefully I end up going here. I love this school.

UMDNJ class of 2016

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from Dr.Heinrich with a link to the secondary application! Since I'm in-state, there's not much to fill out except question #2. I know there's a 1500 character limit but how much are you guys actually going to write?

I'm an out of state applicant and I was wondering what UMDNJ was looking for in response to:

Please discuss any significant connections to New Jersey (i.e. family, close friends, previous residence, etc.)

I have family in NJ and spent summers there, but are they looking for a meaningful experience?

Just received an email from Dr.Heinrich with a link to the secondary application! Since I'm in-state, there's not much to fill out except question #2. I know there's a 1500 character limit but how much are you guys actually going to write?

In all honesty, 1500 characters is not a lot at all. I've hammered out a rough draft for that question and I've used up 1400. It comes out to be about a paragraph.

Good luck everyone :luck: I'm complete here (I imagine :) - no 'complete' notification but finished secondary, have LORs and everything else in). Applied EDP.

any advice about my post? please? :)

Do your best? :oops: Don't have any inside information but I guess the goal of all secondaries is to try and differentiate yourself from the other 1000's of applicants :p

Hey guys,

I'm interviewing Monday :eek: Hope to hear if anyone else is!

Do any of you guys have advice for applying OOS? Also, how did you (IDrads) already get an interview!? Did you already submit your secondary?

good luck IDrads!

would any one be kind enough to post the secondary questions? i'm in-state so i don't need the OOS questions. thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Please provide any additional insight into those personal characteristics you believe make you an ideal candidate for New Jersey Medical School (NJMS)? Please respond in 1500 characters or less.

For Out of State residents:
If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not NJ, you will be considered an out of state resident and will be required to answer questions 3a and 3b:
a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS. Please respond in 1000 characters or less.
b. Please discuss any significant connections to New Jersey (i.e. family, close friends, previous residence, etc.) Please respond in 1000 characters or less.

7. If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2011, please describe your planned activities from June 2011 through August 2012. Please respond in 3000 characters or less.

Nothing extreme here. I believe the personal characteristics question is new this year, but it is pretty much in the same vein as other secondaries, so it shouldn't be too out there. Oh, and I don't think you can save, so work in wordpad or the like first and make sure you have fifteen minutes to fill out the rest; it is only about two pages printed including a lot of "I agree that" statements.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what I want to write about for my additional insight. I don't want to be repetitive with my PS and work/activities so I guess I'll have to start thinking outside the box :D

IDrads how'd the interview go? did you apply regular or EDP?

It went alright, I held my ground but don't think I blew anyone away. We will see. I applied EDP. I will most likely hear back before August 1st

any significant connections to NJ?? I live in NY but don't really have much going for me with NJ. two of my best friends and roomates from college are from there and my uncle grew up there..his dad was the mayor of some small ass town in NJ. Besides listing those things even if they are worth listing, I don't really have much else to say. any suggestions??

anybody hear back yet from interviews

Hey everyone! I was just accepted EDP :) I'm really happy, and I also absolutely love NJMS.

The clinical training you experience here is phenomenal. There is an incredible diversity of cases, and you really get hands on in your clinicals and especially through work in the student-run clinic, which is the oldest continuously running student clinic in the country (where first years through fourth years get extra practice with patient work seeing patients who couldn't afford healthcare otherwise, under supervision of an attending).

OOS students pay in-state tuition for MS2-MS4 which makes NJMS a great deal for OOS'ers

I am happy to answer anyone's questions throughout the cycle

Last edited:
I have an interview lined up for monday the 18th. anyone have any tips?

The interview is very laid back from what I have heard from others and from my experience. You talk about your academic record, your experiences with medicine, and hobbies. You may also talk about your reasons for applying to NJMS.

Hey guys I have a 34 on the MCATS i took it in august of 2008. And a 3.993 gpa. What are my chances? I submitted my amcas yesterday.
And IDRADS what did you get on the MCATS?

Hey guys I have a 34 on the MCATS i took it in august of 2008. And a 3.993 gpa. What are my chances? I submitted my amcas yesterday.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

I don't feel comfortable sharing my stats, hope that's ok :p

For any of you who applied EDP who are hoping/waiting for 'the phone call' (Dean of Admissions calls everyone who is accepted), they start this weekend - probably tomorrow. Dr. Heinrich happened to see me on campus yesterday which is how I was lucky enough to hear in person.

:cool:It's Okay thats your perogative:cool:

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

I don't feel comfortable sharing my stats, hope that's ok :p

For any of you who applied EDP who are hoping/waiting for 'the phone call' (Dean of Admissions calls everyone who is accepted), they start this weekend - probably tomorrow. Dr. Heinrich happened to see me on campus yesterday which is how I was lucky enough to hear in person.

must feel awesome to be accepted already! congrats :)

I have an interview lined up for monday the 18th. anyone have any tips?
NJMS interview is chill. It's a conversation more than anything. Just be confident and relaxed and you should be fine.

btw. play RS lately? ;)

just spoke with dr. heinrich today - just got in edp. i am also happy to answer any questions about my experience

Last edited:
I just had my interview this morning. I was the only regular applicant there, the others were early decision. It was relaxed environment. My interviewer didnt even mention questions about healthcare or "why njms". He asked about my family, whether I really had a good idea about how tough and long the road is to become a physician, when (specific year) did I decide to become a doctor, etc. The tour was kinda long (1.5 hrs) but it gave me a good impression of the med school.

I interviewed 7/11 and I was also accepted yesterday (ED). I love this school and I am extremely happy!

I would love to answer any questions as well!
Feel free to PM me also.

Looking forward to meeting you guys next year!

Man, keep up the good work guys! :D

for those of you who got in EDP can you please post your mcat/gpa stats? thanks

I applied on 7/4, filled out my secondary on 7/18, and got my mcat score on 7/19. I was offered an interview on 7/20, and I'm wondering what the significance is for ED students. I don't want to say that an interview is a guaranteed IN for students who applied ED, but what are the chances of getting in after being offered an interview?

I applied on 7/4, filled out my secondary on 7/18, and got my mcat score on 7/19. I was offered an interview on 7/20, and I'm wondering what the significance is for ED students. I don't want to say that an interview is a guaranteed IN for students who applied ED, but what are the chances of getting in after being offered an interview?

I have yet to hear of an ED applicant who hasn't gotten in, n= approximately 10

[Edit: I should clarify that this involves people who I've talked to in the class of 2015, 2014, and 2012 who applied early and got in]

Last edited:
^^^
Man, save a spot for for the rest of us NJMS!

Hey i'm interested in applying early decision to NJMS. Anyone know what were the stats of people who were admitted through EDP?

My son got interview for early decision on July 19'th,2011 and got accepted on July 22'nd,2011. Took just 3 days for NJMS to accept him.
His stats are
MCAT 34. P - 13, B- 10, V-11 first attempt
GPA - 3.93, Science GPA - 4.0
Biomedical Engineering second year, NJIT
He did 5 types of extra curricular activities in college from volunteer work to research work. He did 2 months of research, other activities 5 to 6 weeks (may be 3 to 4hrs a day).

My second son got into 7 yr accelerated program , TCNJ & NJMS for fall of 2011 .
SAT 2360 composite, 1560 Math & Verbal. SAT II are not needed but I will give anyway. Chem - 790, Bio - 770, Math - 800.
GPA 4.82, cumulative 4.0.

This site and rest of the sites are very useful, I posted for them, because they are not doing it.

If it is ED 100%. For regular 95%.

Thanks krishna! I was advised not to apply ED so i am in the regular cycle now.
Has anyone ever received a link to a secondary application from one of their designated schools without their amcas having been verified in advance? NJMS sent me an email idk what to make of it. I am planning on calling them on monday to find out if i can submit it or not without my amcas having been verified

Thanks krishna! I was advised not to apply ED so i am in the regular cycle now.
Has anyone ever received a link to a secondary application from one of their designated schools without their amcas having been verified in advance? NJMS sent me an email idk what to make of it. I am planning on calling them on monday to find out if i can submit it or not without my amcas having been verified

NJMS sends their secondary out prior to verification, as well as a few other schools. They will add the application into your folder and hold onto it until whenever you are verified and then complete.

Submitted my secondary this afternoon. Time to cross my fingers! Is there an average time from submission to interview invite around this time of the cycle?

^^
I've heard less than a week in some cases.

did anyone who didn't apply ED get a decision yet?

Last edited:
The earliest you can hear back is october 15th for non ED applicants.

I submitted on July 8th and have no response either way for interview, but I see people on here getting responses within less than a week. I'm also in-state and have pretty solid stats. Are most people having to wait?

did you apply ED? And when was your AMCAS verified?

I submitted on July 8th and have no response either way for interview, but I see people on here getting responses within less than a week. I'm also in-state and have pretty solid stats. Are most people having to wait?

I had to wait about 3 weeks for the interview invite

I just did my interview yesterday, very stress free, just a conversation. The tour was great too. Hoping for some love from this school!

Status
Not open for further replies.