2011-2012 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Limit your response to 500 characters for all of the following

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

2. How will your family, community, academic, work or other life experiences enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

3. Based upon your personal life experiences, what do you foresee as challenges in medical school and in your future career?

4. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences.

5. UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program In Medical Education (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...IME/index.html) track is a partnership with UC Merced and UCSF Fresno. This track aims to train physicians committed to improving the health and health care of populations, communities, and individuals in California's San Joaquin Valley. The first 2 years are conducted at UC Davis and include: the UC Davis Summer Pre-Matriculation Program; a community engagement project in the Valley; close mentoring relationships with program leaders; early longitudinal clinical experiences; and a curriculum on diversity, quality and population health. Third and fourth year clinical experiences occur in the San Joaquin Valley. We offer an optional fifth year of study leading to a master's degree. If interested, please elaborate below including your background, career aspirations, and how this track will help you meet your goals. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

6. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...h.D/index.html) track leads to a dual (MD/PhD) degree and includes 3 (or more) years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. If you are interested in this program, please describe your research experience, qualifications, and future career goals. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

7. The Rural-Program In Medical Education (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...ime/index.html) track is designed for students interested in becoming physicians and leaders in a rural communities. Critical skills include becoming an effective patient advocate, leader, lifelong learner and skilled adapter of technologies to enhance rural medicine practice. Students will have unique opportunities to experience: longitudinal teaching and mentorship by rural physicians; seminars in public health, leadership, community engagement and cultural competency; immersion in rural communities for third-year clerkships and senior electives; and the opportunity to explore and utilize telecommunications technology. If interested, please elaborate below and include how this track will help you meet your future career objectives. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to apply to this school! The campus is new and the people are pretty friendly. On top of that, it is a true Pass/Fail type of med school so the competitiveness is pretty low.

I applied here last year and wasn't even given a secondary. I found this weird being that I'm a CA resident. I know CA schools don't really favor IS applicants, but does anyone have any insight on the secondary selection process? What does UCD favor most heavily? GPA? MCAT? My recollection is that they strive for a slightly older and well rounded class. Still hold a lot of hope to be living in E. Sac and going this great school!

Members don't see this ad :)
just received secondaries........
ohh mah god we have to re-input all our pre-reqs?!?!?!
sigh..... here we go :scared:

I just got an email from them this morning saying they won't be sending out secondaries until july?!?!?

why do we have to put experiences again? i already put it on my PS, work/activities, and most meaningful stuff.

!!!!!!

I just got an email from them this morning saying they won't be sending out secondaries until july?!?!?

yea I giggled a little bit inside when I read that and then the next email was the secondary. A good reminder not to take this process too seriously.

I find it extremely unhelpful that the character count for "most meaningful experience" on the secondary does not match the 1325 of AMCAS

Because the directions are pretty much exactly the same as in the primary app, do you think we can use the same wording to describe the significant activities? I mean, the same three are still the most meaningful and what I wrote in my primary is an accurate description and includes how it will prepare me for a medical career.

Any thoughts?

I got the secondary this morning also. These 500 character essays are difficult!

Because the directions are pretty much exactly the same as in the primary app, do you think we can use the same wording to describe the significant activities? I mean, the same three are still the most meaningful and what I wrote in my primary is an accurate description and includes how it will prepare me for a medical career.

Any thoughts?
I think you should try to go with new information (or new wording). Like you said, they already have our primary applications and the associated essays. Just my opinion, though.

Davis is screening in already? They're on top of it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the prompts?

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

2. How will your family, community, academic, work or other life experiences enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

3. Based upon your personal life experiences, what do you foresee as challenges in medical school and in your future career?

4. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences.

Am I missing any?

I received the email with the invitation to the secondary before I got the email stating that invitations for secondaries wouldn't be sent out until July. :laugh:

So, based on what people are saying so far, we should be describing our experiences in a way that is significantly different from what we wrote for AMCAS because they will be reading both?

Does anyone know how UC Davis' fee waiver for the secondaries work?

Am I missing any?

Does anyone know the character limit on these? Was it 500 each as mentioned above?

Does anyone know the character limit on these? Was it 500 each as mentioned above?

"Limit your response to 500 characters."

Directions for all the questions.

There are also these questions for UC Davis' specific programs (500 character limit for these as well):

5. UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program In Medical Education (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/UC_Merced_San_Joaquin_Valley_PRIME/index.html) track is a partnership with UC Merced and UCSF Fresno. This track aims to train physicians committed to improving the health and health care of populations, communities, and individuals in California's San Joaquin Valley. The first 2 years are conducted at UC Davis and include: the UC Davis Summer Pre-Matriculation Program; a community engagement project in the Valley; close mentoring relationships with program leaders; early longitudinal clinical experiences; and a curriculum on diversity, quality and population health. Third and fourth year clinical experiences occur in the San Joaquin Valley. We offer an optional fifth year of study leading to a master's degree. If interested, please elaborate below including your background, career aspirations, and how this track will help you meet your goals. Otherwise, please insert “Not applicable”.

6. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/MD_Ph.D/index.html) track leads to a dual (MD/PhD) degree and includes 3 (or more) years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. If you are interested in this program, please describe your research experience, qualifications, and future career goals. Otherwise, please insert “Not applicable”.

7. The Rural-Program In Medical Education (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/index.html) track is designed for students interested in becoming physicians and leaders in a rural communities. Critical skills include becoming an effective patient advocate, leader, lifelong learner and skilled adapter of technologies to enhance rural medicine practice. Students will have unique opportunities to experience: longitudinal teaching and mentorship by rural physicians; seminars in public health, leadership, community engagement and cultural competency; immersion in rural communities for third-year clerkships and senior electives; and the opportunity to explore and utilize telecommunications technology. If interested, please elaborate below and include how this track will help you meet your future career objectives. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

So it says that the entire secondary application must be completed within 30 days of submission, even the LORs and if not, than the app is automatically withdrawn. This sucks because I may not have received my LORs by then.

So it says that the entire secondary application must be completed within 30 days of submission, even the LORs and if not, than the app is automatically withdrawn. This sucks because I may not have received my LORs by then.

Then I suggest, even though it can be difficult, to make your letter writers aware of this fact. You need to politely harass them and tell them schools will drop you in 30 days if you dont have it. I find a lot of times letter writers put it off until they get some sort of deadline from you anyways, because usually they have a lot more important things to rationalize ahead in priority.

anybody know when we add the courses, are we just adding the prereqs, or are we adding ALL of our classes again?

Does anyone know if I am able to take the upper-div bio requirement prior to matriculation at Davis? Or, does the upper-div bio requirement have to be completed to submit the secondary?

I am a non-trad who graduated from the Columbia postbac, where we do not take any upper-div bio courses.

It's going to be reallllllllllllllly funny if I can't submit this secondary to Davis if the course has to be taken prior to applying (I am a reapplicant - and Davis was the first school to reject me last year, and this year I finally get a damn secondary). Ha. :p

i believe where you enter the courses it says it will let you submit if you've entered in at least 1 course

i believe where you enter the courses it says it will let you submit if you've entered in at least 1 course

That's for all above their categories . . . per the secondary (pardon the caps - I just copied, verbatim): "YOU MUST SUBMIT A MINIMUM OF ONE ITEM FOR EACH OF THE ABOVE DEFINED REQUIREMENTS TO ACTIVATE THE SUBMIT BUTTON"

I'll call them tomorrow, but looks like I'm screwed.

I thought med schools let you complete requirements (such as biochem) prior to matriculation?

What if you're applying as a HS junior who hasn't taken an upper-div bio class yet?

To add: I just tried creating a dummy upper-div course with all of my other classes, and the "submit courses" button indeed pops up. Looks like this might be a frustrating end to this Davis app. Sigh.

For their essay questions, what if you don't have anything 'concerning' on your application or that you don't think you would have too many 'issues' in medical school? Some of their questions are kind of ridiculous, what if I think I'm the perfect applicant haha :p ?

I received the email with the invitation to the secondary before I got the email stating that invitations for secondaries wouldn't be sent out until July. :laugh:

So, based on what people are saying so far, we should be describing our experiences in a way that is significantly different from what we wrote for AMCAS because they will be reading both?

i'm assuming the secondaries are out?

That's for all above their categories . . . per the secondary (pardon the caps - I just copied, verbatim): "YOU MUST SUBMIT A MINIMUM OF ONE ITEM FOR EACH OF THE ABOVE DEFINED REQUIREMENTS TO ACTIVATE THE SUBMIT BUTTON"

I'll call them tomorrow, but looks like I'm screwed.

I thought med schools let you complete requirements (such as biochem) prior to matriculation?

What if you're applying as a HS junior who hasn't taken an upper-div bio class yet?

To add: I just tried creating a dummy upper-div course with all of my other classes, and the "submit courses" button indeed pops up. Looks like this might be a frustrating end to this Davis app. Sigh.
You can put the class as "pending" or planned.

i'm assuming the secondaries are out?

It appears they are all going out... I was rejected pre-secondary last year and I'm a Sacramento valley native. I was hoping to at least be able to submit a secondary. Does UCD employ cut-offs that I am unaware of?

yea, but to be sure, just use the message service on the application. They are happy to answer questions

It appears they are all going out... I was rejected pre-secondary last year and I'm a Sacramento valley native. I was hoping to at least be able to submit a secondary. Does UCD employ cut-offs that I am unaware of?

I am from the bay area and just got my secondary. I was scared I wasnt going to get one because of the way AMCAS calculated my grade with high school courses I took it brought my GPA WAY down. :( Does anyone know what the cut offs are?

This is so dumb! They must have obviously not updated their applications for the new AMCAS format. I dont know about you, but its going to be pretty hard to come up with new experiences that were as meaningful...I mean I dont have 6 life changing experiences. Are you all just going to re-write what was put onto the primary?

yea, but to be sure, just use the message service on the application. They are happy to answer questions

Yeah . . . looks like I can apply, but the admissions process won't proceed until the upper-div courses are completed.

I'm frantically looking for summer courses, but all courses at local colleges have already begun, or do not offer upper-div courses. Fantastic.

I am from the bay area and just got my secondary. I was scared I wasnt going to get one because of the way AMCAS calculated my grade with high school courses I took it brought my GPA WAY down. :( Does anyone know what the cut offs are?

Did they not count it into your overall GPA? I am a little worried (still waiting to be verified) because I took 2 college courses in high school. I got As in those...so hopefully they count because I am banking on that to bring up my GPA :p

My AMCAS was verified today (6/23). Anyone know if UC Davis will send out another batch of secondaries each day, or will they wait before sending more? :xf:

Did they not count it into your overall GPA? I am a little worried (still waiting to be verified) because I took 2 college courses in high school. I got As in those...so hopefully they count because I am banking on that to bring up my GPA :p

Yeah they will factor those grades into "cumulative undergraduate." I took a ton of cc classes in high school, so I was a little in above my head. 48 units in Jr and Sr year of high school. I feel dumb now for it though. Oh well...

And by the way, I just called admissions and they said that the experiences section is up for interpretation. It was intentional that they put them in there with the new AMCAS formatting. So I am not sure if it would be best to try and add new experiences. What are you all going to do for it?

hi, for those who submitted 2ndarys, is anyone having issues with submmitting after having paid?

question for those who have submitted...

on the prereq's they require 9 units... did you all put down the minimum amount of courses?

i have way more than 9 units of math, should i put them all down? or just 2 of the A's

Does anyone elses app say prerequisites incomplete even though I've met all the prereqs? I counted all the units and categories and it should be good, but it still says prereqs incomplete on main page

yah, I paid but its still not showing that I did

In the prerequisite section, is the "minimum total course units" listed for quarters or semesters? Do hours refer to semesters and units refer to quarters?

In the prerequisite section, is the "minimum total course units" listed for quarters or semesters? Do hours refer to semesters and units refer to quarters?

it is listed as quarters, I think that is why it lists multiply x 1.5 at the top. I just converted my semester units to quarter units.

Does anyone elses app say prerequisites incomplete even though I've met all the prereqs? I counted all the units and categories and it should be good, but it still says prereqs incomplete on main page

figured it out, did not realize I had to "submit" the prereqs.

it is listed as quarters, I think that is why it lists multiply x 1.5 at the top. I just converted my semester units to quarter units.

Use the conversion to see if you have enough units, but when entering them in, put down the semester units

My AMCAS was verified today (6/23). Anyone know if UC Davis will send out another batch of secondaries each day, or will they wait before sending more? :xf:

Got it today! They seem to be evaluating primaries pretty quickly. :xf:

Is every other secondary as annoying as this? What is the deal with the prereq when we already filled out the primary? Asking about experiences? Those are already in the primary as well.

And by the way, I just called admissions and they said that the experiences section is up for interpretation. It was intentional that they put them in there with the new AMCAS formatting. So I am not sure if it would be best to try and add new experiences. What are you all going to do for it?

Asking about experiences? Those are already in the primary as well.

see the above re the experiences. Also, do you need to put down 3 for the secondary?

see the above re the experiences. Also, do you need to put down 3 for the secondary?

Thanks. I would think the best is to put 3. I only selected 2 on my primary however. I don't think we have to come up with new experiences. It's rare that anybody has 6 meaningful experiences. My approach is that I will just rewording to make it fit into 750 characters.

It's funny how they said it is intentional. What are they trying to gain from this? Screen out the people who seem to make up meaningful experiences or the people who copy and paste from primary. Asking the same questions as the primary serves no purpose to help the adcom understand the students better and only serves to force some extra work on the students.

Status
Not open for further replies.