2011-2012 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces).
Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on chances on interviews/acceptances at UCI for someone who grew up in CA/is living here for his gap year but went to a private undergrad out-of-state?

Can anyone comment on chances on interviews/acceptances at UCI for someone who grew up in CA/is living here for his gap year but went to a private undergrad out-of-state?

Same as anyone else. You'll be considered a California resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to get into the UCs, but irvine is probably the one I want to go to the most!

Hometown school! Hoping for an interview here.

This is my #1 choice!:xf:Lived in CA all my life not really looking forward to going out of state! but if I must...oh well

These two links shold answer your question:

http://students.bio.uci.edu/Docs/Advising/med application numbers.pdf

^ people that are in uci now... where they came from and what their stats are.

http://students.bio.uci.edu/Docs/Advising/med stats 2010 chart.pdf

^ read the bottom caption on the pdf to know how to read the chart!

I hope this answers your question,

These two links shold answer your question:

http://students.bio.uci.edu/Docs/Advising/med%20application%20numbers.pdf

^ people that are in uci now... where they came from and what their stats are.

http://students.bio.uci.edu/Docs/Advising/med stats 2010 chart.pdf

^ read the bottom caption on the pdf to know how to read the chart!

I hope this answers your question,

This data is for UCI undergrads applying to other schools, not acceptance rates into UCI med school.

Hey everyone!

I'll be attending UCI SOM this August (can't wait!!!), so I went through this process last year. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can or share my experiences :).

Good luck!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I'll be attending UCI SOM this August (can't wait!!!), so I went through this process last year. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can or share my experiences :).

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and share! Grats on your acceptance, Irvine's an awesome school. One of my dream schools!

Nice anteater avatar by the way, that's adorable. : )

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and share! Grats on your acceptance, Irvine's an awesome school. One of my dream schools!

Nice anteater avatar by the way, that's adorable. : )

From last year's ssd secondaries went out at the end of July, but some of the other UCs seem to be well ahead of their timeline last year so UCI may be similar.

Hello everyone,

Like Bza I will also be attending UCI SOM this August. Post or PM your questions and I'll be happy to try to help.

Good luck everyone, UCI is an awesome school!

2 emails one right after the other: AMCAS received and secondary invite pending, then the secondary link.

:)

Yup, me too. Got the secondary just now :love:

yes! good way to start a day! secondary invite from UCI!!!! Please UCI let me in:xf:

No secondary invite :(...jeez being a CA rez sucks...I wish I was like a Louisiana resident where like most in state applicants get accepted to their state school well just keep waiting and praying

Congrats everyone!

Last year, the secondary didn't arrive until 7/26. So you all are off to an early start. UCI is a great school, and I hope you all get the opportunity to check it out!

pretty easy secondary, essays are similar to other schools

Got the secondary invite - working on it now - plan to submit today.
I lived in Irvine for 6 years - love to be back!!!
:)

This might be a dumb question, but what does Upper Division mean? Is it just a 400-level course?

This might be a dumb question, but what does Upper Division mean? Is it just a 400-level course?

Probably anything that doesn't have "intro to XXX" in its name, OR is one of the basic pre-med required courses.

At my university it is anything above a 100 level course.
Lower Division: 1 - 99
Upper Division: 100 - 199
Grad: > 200

anyone know who many ppl apply and how many get secondaries and then interview and then acceptances?

anyone know who many ppl apply and how many get secondaries and then interview and then acceptances?

Per MSAR

4844 applied
506 interviewed
6 deferred
6 MD/PhD
104 matriculated

Do not know how many was accepted. IS is about roughly 95 % of all interviewed.

Per MSAR

4844 applied
506 interviewed
6 deferred
6 MD/PhD
104 matriculated

Do not know how many was accepted. IS is about roughly 95 % of all interviewed.

Back in the day (2006) they accepted like 294. So if you got the interview your odds were >50%. But that number has probably changed over the years.

The instructions say:

"After submittal, only two forms, "Instructions" and "Letters of Recommendation" can be viewed."

However, I do not see a "Letters of Recommendation" link that they speak of. Am I blind, or do people not have this option as well?

For activities, do we list all of them or just the "most meaningful" ones?

Get a US news subscription online, they have all of the data not already in the msar.

Could someone please post this year's secondary prompt? Thanks.

any UCSD undergrads/graduates applying here? I have questions on their prerequisites...

My LORs are in amcas and other schools have gotten them already but in the status page for UCI shows an empty box for my LORs. Anybody else has this problem? Should I call the school about this? I rather not since the person who answers the phone is extremely unfriendly.

My LORs are in amcas and other schools have gotten them already but in the status page for UCI shows an empty box for my LORs. Anybody else has this problem? Should I call the school about this? I rather not since the person who answers the phone is extremely unfriendly.

Aw, I'm sorry! You probably got someone who was having a bad day, everyone is usually kind and helpful. If no one else is having this problem (and you didn't submit over the weekend) I would suggest calling and seeing what's up. They'll probably either fix it on the phone or get it fixed ASAP.

Last edited:
Yep, same thing going on here. Though I did submit just today...

just called the admissions office for the LOR status. The person who downloads the LORs from AMCAS is on vacation so for those of us who submitted the secondary early, we will not be complete until that person gets back towards the end of the week.

Hey everyone!

Hi! So I was wondering were you a minority when you applied?? I know you had low stats and you got in! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.