2011-2012 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the secondary a couple hours ago. What a bummer... it's not electronic :(

Received the secondary a couple hours ago. What a bummer... it's not electronic :(

The only thing I just received was that they received my AMCAS... did you guys guys get a different email?

The only thing I just received was that they received my AMCAS... did you guys guys get a different email?

I never got a "received your AMCAS" email. I just got one with a PDF attachment that included the application.

I assume I got that other email because my MCAT and LORs aren't in.

Need to send a cheque lolol

That said, not going to complain if I get an interview

Here are the two essay prompts:
A. Describe succinctly the important experience(s) in your life which began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine. (Please Type)

B. Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine. (Please Type)

No word or character limits on these that I can see. They give you a full blank page though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need to send a cheque lolol

That said, not going to complain if I get an interview

Haha I can't believe they want a check or money order! These guys are pretty old fashioned. No online CC, just print a PDF and mail it.

Does anyone know what the OOS acceptance rate looks like? I have friends in the military that are about to move to the big island and I'm considering adding this school, but I don't want to waste the money if they only consider in-state or those with family connections.

Does anyone know what the OOS acceptance rate looks like? I have friends in the military that are about to move to the big island and I'm considering adding this school, but I don't want to waste the money if they only consider in-state or those with family connections.

It's shockingly low, I think 1.6% last time I checked if I remember correctly. 1400 OOS apply, and like 20 something get in. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have applied here but oh well it's 80 bucks for AMCAS and secondary.

If you talked about the important experiences that motivated you to enter medicine in your AMCAS personal statement, do you think they will mind if you simply give them an abridged version of your personal statement? My early experiences were a major focus of my PS and I have nothing much more to say that wasn't included in my PS. I don't want to seem lazy though by not writing something new.

I got the answer for ya... They accept 6 OOS applicants, 60 IS applicants (12 seats are reserved for Imi Ho'ola program students). There maybe changes acceptance amount in the future but this is how it looks like currently.

I am out of state and have yet to recieve a secondary...do we know if or how Hawaii screens?

I am out of state and have yet to recieve a secondary...do we know if or how Hawaii screens?

I am not applying to Hawaii this cycle, but I have spoken to the Dean of Admissions before. They screen based on a point system. Basically you get points for different things like one point per section of your MCAT ≥11 (I think that was the number), cGPA and sGPA above a certain number (don't remember the exact number), points for advanced degrees (Masters, PhD), upward trend in grades, etc. To move on in their application process as an out of state applicant you need at least 16 points I believe. I decided not to apply because basically I am stuck at 14 or 15 points without getting a PhD :( I wish I could go here as my dad is from Oahu and did his med school at JABSOM. Hope this helps a little and good luck!

So if I received a secondary and submitted it, I should expect an interview invite soon?

:soexcited: one of my professors who wrote me a letter of rec went here for her masters. I hope that helps my oos situation.

But that 16 point system sounds insane and I would probably fall short.

I am not applying to Hawaii this cycle, but I have spoken to the Dean of Admissions before. They screen based on a point system. Basically you get points for different things like one point per section of your MCAT ≥11 (I think that was the number), cGPA and sGPA above a certain number (don't remember the exact number), points for advanced degrees (Masters, PhD), upward trend in grades, etc. To move on in their application process as an out of state applicant you need at least 16 points I believe. I decided not to apply because basically I am stuck at 14 or 15 points without getting a PhD :( I wish I could go here as my dad is from Oahu and did his med school at JABSOM. Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Wait - how did you figure 14 to 15?

Not sure how strict they are with the points system. I'm pretty sure I don't have 16 points but I still got a secondary.

I did spend a semester in French Polynesia (doing non-medical related stuff), so maybe my experiences in Oceania helped.

Does anyone know if getting a secondary means getting an interview for this cycle?

Not sure how strict they are with the points system. I'm pretty sure I don't have 16 points but I still got a secondary.

I did spend a semester in French Polynesia (doing non-medical related stuff), so maybe my experiences in Oceania helped.

Does anyone know if getting a secondary means getting an interview for this cycle?

From what I have heard that people who get a secondary usually get an interview.

Also even if you are not from Hawaii but have ties to it (like family or you have lived there) it can lower the amount of points you need. Are you a pacific islander? If you are, you can be considered an instate resident as well and this can reduce your needed points (down to 8 points). For example, if you are from Guam, French Polynesia, Samoa, etc. or any other pacific islander ethnicity, you can be considered an instate resident by the school. However, once you get in you will still be paying out of state tuition.

I would love to come here. I could study and then catch a few waves and just live in paradise. I might not even leave after medical school if I went there. lol.

But I have yet to get an secondary :(. It happens I guess.

From what I have heard that people who get a secondary usually get an interview.

Also even if you are not from Hawaii but have ties to it (like family or you have lived there) it can lower the amount of points you need. Are you a pacific islander? If you are, you can be considered an instate resident as well and this can reduce your needed points (down to 8 points). For example, if you are from Guam, French Polynesia, Samoa, etc. or any other pacific islander ethnicity, you can be considered an instate resident by the school. However, once you get in you will still be paying out of state tuition.

No, I'm from California. I spent many years of my childhood in Taiwan, which is a Pacific Island. Wonder if that counts.

Living in Hawaii for four years would be really awesome.

I'm from Hawaii, but I go to school in the mainland. I was wondering if any of you know about the different criteria of the point system for an interview? I am also considering applying to the Post-Bacc program, does anyone know about that as well? I'd be grateful to hear what you think.

I'm from Hawaii, but I go to school in the mainland. I was wondering if any of you know about the different criteria of the point system for an interview? I am also considering applying to the Post-Bacc program, does anyone know about that as well? I'd be grateful to hear what you think.

This is the information I received last year from admissions.

Residency Screen for JABSOM Application Purposes:
>
> Residency Screen: 1) legal residence of the applicant, 2) legal residence of the applicant's parents, 3) birthplace, 4) location of high school graduated, 5) location of college or university attended (degree not required) or 6) Legacy (parent/legal guardian is a JABSOM graduate or JABSOM faculty member (FTE 50%. or >). The information used to score an applicant will be pulled from the verified AMCAS application. An applicant is required to have a minimum 3 pts. out of the possible 6 points in the Residency Screen to be considered a 'Resident' for application purposes. An applicant who has less than the minimum 3 points will be considered a 'Nonresident' in the application process. If an applicant has 2 out of the required 3 points in the Residency Screen, there may be an opportunity for a one Discretionary point (see* noted below). The Residency Screen is not to eliminate an applicant at this point but to determine whether an applicant proceeding to the Academic Second Screen is a 'Resident' or 'Nonresident'.
>
> Academic Second Screen for JABSOM Application Purposes:
>
> The points are based on the information pulled from the applicant’s AMCAS application: a) cumulative undergraduate GPA, b) cumulative science undergraduate GPA, c) MCAT VR, PS, WS, and BS scores, d) Graduate or Professional degree(s), e) Honors/Awards, f) Extracurricular activities related to health/clinical/research/community service, g) Employment activities related to health/clinical/research/community service. The total possible points in the Academic/Second Screen is 22. A ‘Resident’ applicant must achieve a minimum score of 8 points and a ‘Nonresident’ applicant must achieve a minimum score of 16 points to proceed through the admissions process, i.e., interviews, letters of recommendation.
>
> If an applicant meets the Academic Second Screen cut-off either as a resident or nonresident, the individual will be sent a two-part essay, "why medicine?" and "why UH JABSOM?" *On the "why UH JABSOM?" essay, an applicant has the opportunity to provide additional information as to ties to Hawaii, and/or future commitment to the State of Hawai'i. One discretionary point may be awarded in the Residency Screen based on this additional information to be considered a resident for application purposes. (Note: Only one discretionary point is awarded in the screening process and only in the Residence Screen).

I don't know the exact point system, but I remember reading it in a previous year's thread, so maybe do a search...

As for post-bac, are you talking about Imi Ho'ola. If so, i know that it is a program for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. From what I have heard, they are willing to admit students who are not of Pacific Islander backgrounds, but I think they lean towards admitting those who are. If you are admitted to the program, I believe you have a guaranteed place in the next year's class.
Basically, JABSOM is looking for people who will stay in Hawai'i to practice medicine, hence the emphasis on ties to the state (Hawai'i has a physician shortage).

Thank you, so much! After I posted on this thread, I tried to do more research and first part of your message regarding the screening process popped up.

If it's not too personal to ask, were you admitted in JABSOM? I am getting quite apprehensive as I am working on my application. I am a Pacific-Islander, hence I know it may be to my advantage to apply to the Imi Ho'ola program-- it's just that I read that they are quite selective as well and that the program also requires good GPA and MCAT scores.

Thank you, so much! After I posted on this thread, I tried to do more research and first part of your message regarding the screening process popped up.

If it's not too personal to ask, were you admitted in JABSOM? I am getting quite apprehensive as I am working on my application. I am a Pacific-Islander, hence I know it may be to my advantage to apply to the Imi Ho'ola program-- it's just that I read that they are quite selective as well and that the program also requires good GPA and MCAT scores.

I have nothing to hide:) No, I am applying this cycle. I think that UH is different than a lot of other places because they are so invested in ensuring that Hawaii has enough physicians, and also that they have physicians that will care for the big PI community here. I think that applying to Imi Ho'ola is a good idea if you feel that you meet the requirements, besides GPA and MCAT. With that said, what do you have to lose by applying to JABSOM and Imi Ho'ola, and other med schools for that matter?

Just got packet 2 which is really confusing but I think it is an interview invite as it asking me to schedule interviews myself? Is this normal?

Anyways, really excited if it is an interview!!

Hi, I just received an email full of interview/hotel/etc info but it didn't actually say I was invited for interview...?

Last edited:
Hi, I just received an ambiguous email full of interview/hotel/etc info but it didn't actually say I was invited for interview...?

...or maybe it did...

- They did indicate to contact them for interview scheduling...so I think this is an invite.

- Just got off the phone with U Hawaii - it is an interview invitation! :D

Last edited:
...or maybe it did...

- They did indicate to contact them for interview scheduling...so I think this is an invite.

- Just got off the phone with U Hawaii - it is an interview invitation! :D

I just received it recently as well. Thanks for clearing up that it is indeed an interview invite and not just providing information about interviews. I wasn't so sure myself.

I received the same packet....
Pretty confusing. So I gather that we only need to send in the LOR audit form by the post-marked deadline?

Has anyone spoken to JABSOM? Are we are supposed to write an email asking about our interviewers before we schedule?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and congrats guys!:thumbup:

I received the same packet....
Pretty confusing. So I gather that we only need to send in the LOR audit form by the post-marked deadline?

Has anyone spoken to JABSOM? Are we are supposed to write an email asking about our interviewers before we schedule?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and congrats guys!:thumbup:

I will call tomorrow to clarify. I am hopeful I can push this interview back since travel will definitely take a large chunk of time (no direct flight)

As I posted above, it is indeed an interview invite - called U Hawaii myself. Just send an email requesting information about your interviewers - you will need to contact them directly and schedule your interviews (the medical school does not do this to give students flexibility). To those still waiting, good luck and may the force be with you! :D

Last edited:
With OOS tuition at 61K, and only 6 OOS applicants getting accepted, I don't know if it's worth it to go for an interview.

From what I've read and heard from a current student, I really like UH, but I only have limited funds.

I'm just having such a hard time deciding whether to accept the interview offer. I don't want to say 'yes' now, just to withdraw later too.

Hey guys, OOS interviewing here in a couple of weeks. Really excited! Anybody have any recommendations for cheap hotels, and what is the best way to get from the honolulu airport to the medical school/hotel. Thanks guys!

Anybody interview here recently? I will be interviewing next week and want to know what it is like. Really excited though!!!

what do you guys think about applying here OOS if my advisor did his Ph.D work over at the university? I've got a letter from him, but it doesn't specifically address the university..... 30mcat, 3.9gpa

what do you guys think about applying here OOS if my advisor did his Ph.D work over at the university? I've got a letter from him, but it doesn't specifically address the university..... 30mcat, 3.9gpa

Honestly, unless you desperately want to go here, I wouldn't apply. They are pretty selective with regards to OOS, so if you're just throwing it in on a whim, then you're just losing money. You need to be able to eloquently explain why you would be a great asset to the medical community in Hawaii and why you are so desperate to go to this school.

Honestly, unless you desperately want to go here, I wouldn't apply. They are pretty selective with regards to OOS, so if you're just throwing it in on a whim, then you're just losing money. You need to be able to eloquently explain why you would be a great asset to the medical community in Hawaii and why you are so desperate to go to this school.
thanks for the advice dude; yea I'm not really sure I would want to go even if I were to be accepted... its very tempting but i guess i'll save $33

i went on vacation there recently and it was great, but surely going to med school there would be a different beast; i think i'll just reserve hawaii as a post-graduation celebration destination

I was complete with JABSOM on Sept. 13th and received the invite today! It was a slightly confusing email, no congratulations you've been invited to interview, just here are the details. Now I need to think about paying for the trip...

this board has been quiet!!! i am praying that i made the secondary screen cut....applying late this year but this is my #1 choice!

any status updates out there? how were interviews, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.