2011-2012 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

U of L seems to be pretty welcoming for OOS applicants. Looking forward to applying here.

i thought there were only 40 spots for OOS... what kind of stats do you need for OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
School looks for ties to the school and/or state. Something like you went to high school/college in Kentucky or your family members went to Louisville SOM.

PM me if you want more details.

Received secondary today, it's very extensive has a bunch of questions...

Last edited:
what are the essay questions, can someone post the secondary here?

what are the essay questions, can someone post the secondary here?

Here are the prompts from last year. I'll update this list if they have changed since then.

- If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine.
- How well did your high school prepare you for college?
- What determined your choice of college(s)?
- How do you assess your college record?
- Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?
- Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)
- Academic/Occupational background of family members (list highest degree earned and current occupation): Father, Mother, Other
- Foreign Travel
- Interest & Hobbies
- Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:
- What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?
- How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location)
- Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

Edit: Yes, they have kept the prompts the same since last year.

Last edited:
Hello. First of all I want to say GOOD LUCK to everyone.:luck: I am an OOS student that will be starting in less then 2 weeks. If you have any questions please PM me, and I will try to help.

Malik did you have to have strong ties to get oos.

LOL NO!!!! I have NEVER been to Kentucky until I came here for the interview.

I am sorry I need to clarify something the Pre- Matric program starts in about 2 weeks. Medical school officially begins in August

LOL NO!!!! I have NEVER been to Kentucky until I came here for the interview.

I am sorry I need to clarify something the Pre- Matric program starts in about 2 weeks. Medical school officially begins in August

That's awesome. I'm in the same boat. But, the more research I do, the more I'm really liking the program. What made you initially decide to apply, and what made you decide to attend? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

I was looking for a school that was prominent in research, had easy access to a variety of clinical rotations, welcomes student diversity, and a city that is not as big or expensive as the city that I am from. I am not a heavy sports fan, but I love the fact that my school is recognized for its sports. Everytime I called the admissions office the staff was always friendly, and the student that they matched me with on interview day was enthusiatic about her school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking for a school that was prominent in research, had easy access to a variety of clinical rotations, welcomes student diversity, and a city that is not as big or expensive as the city that I am from. I am not a heavy sports fan, but I love the fact that my school is recognized for its sports. Everytime I called the admissions office the staff was always friendly, and the student that they matched me with on interview day was enthusiatic about her school.

I was hoping you were going to mention research. Are their research facilities as good as it seems? Are you planning are applying to their "Distinction in Research" program? Sorry to inundate you with questions. A big part of my plans are to combine research (clinical or translational) and clinical practice. I'd almost given up on the idea of being able to keep my fingers in research in a meaningful capacity during medical school until I'd come across this program. It has me really excited. :D

Do you have to have 2 organic chemistry labs to fulfill their prerequisites since there are two lines for it on the secondary?

Tip for anyone filling this application: save first....make corrections later.

Tip for anyone filling this application: save first....make corrections later.

lol good tip. I made corrections on my pre-req checklist after filling it out and had to enter it all in again....

I was hoping you were going to mention research. Are their research facilities as good as it seems? Are you planning are applying to their "Distinction in Research" program? Sorry to inundate you with questions. A big part of my plans are to combine research (clinical or translational) and clinical practice. I'd almost given up on the idea of being able to keep my fingers in research in a meaningful capacity during medical school until I'd come across this program. It has me really excited. :D

The research facilities are adequate to me. I am interested in clinical research as a hobby, and a way to keep updated on new things. They were offering summer research positions for incoming medical students. I do not know much about it since I am doing the pre- matric program this summer. I am not sure if I am going to apply to the Distinction in Research program.

I've worked here doing research (not in med school, yet) and I can vouch for them. The facilities are great and the attitude of the faculty varies widely by department but some are phenomenal. Others are, um . . . a little less "enthused" about science.
They bring in some excellent speakers for Grand Rounds Seminars and that type of thing.

how about non-clinical (basic science) research?

also, i've been having alot of trouble with trying to edit stuff after i saved the page -- it won't let me edit OR reset. i've tried in both IE and Firefox...what's up?

how about non-clinical (basic science) research?

also, i've been having alot of trouble with trying to edit stuff after i saved the page -- it won't let me edit OR reset. i've tried in both IE and Firefox...what's up?

user error?

Hey guys, I'm in the class of 2015. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread throughout the process if you have any questions. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well if you'd prefer. Best of luck!

I guess I'm borderline the old man of the group, class of 2014, I'm also available via PM if you like. Though, the incoming students will have better insight to questions regarding applying/secondaries/interviews for sure.

guys, for "How do you assess your college record?" what did you talk about? I mean...I would assume it means talk about your grade trends, but the next q asks about circumstances adversely affecting your grades. confused :(

guys, for "How do you assess your college record?" what did you talk about? I mean...I would assume it means talk about your grade trends, but the next q asks about circumstances adversely affecting your grades. confused :(

My first response went something like: never dropped/withdrew from a class, tough curriculum, never worse than a B in any class, etc.

The second went like: maintained heavy load of ECs while enrolled in classes, kept steady job throughout undergrad, etc.

My first response went something like: never dropped/withdrew from a class, tough curriculum, never worse than a B in any class, etc.

The second went like: maintained heavy load of ECs while enrolled in classes, kept steady job throughout undergrad, etc.

I wouldn't put ECs as adversely affecting grades. I interpret this as disclosing any actual hardships in your life to maybe explain a bad quarter.

I would tend to agree with equinsu ocha. I didn't really have any major circumstances that negatively affected my grades, and I said so on the secondary.

I had a bad first semester, followed by a strong upward trend. I explained the bad first semester as learning to study in college as opposed to high school. And, that's about the extent of that question.

Anyone showing their letters received by Louisville?

Most obnoxious Secondary so far...JEEZE what were these folks thinking?

It's killing me...I'm worried because my gpa is slightly lower so I wanted to apply early and broadly....not fun

I have finished 15 secondary's I have 10 I need to do and I'm still waiting on 17....

It's hard to do it while working, but because I'm in a city where I dont know too many people this summer I have lots of time on the weekends

The key is to reuse a lot of those essays...and my dad is the chair of his department(not an institution with a med school) so he reviews them and gives his two sense because he reads lots of resident apps.

Is there any way to know if we are complete ?

I actually just finished checking mine. Log in like you normally would at UofL's Secondary App website. Then, instead of going to the secondary application tab, hit the "check status" tab at the top. There are several different links there to check each component of your application (secondary, fee, LORs, etc). I'm not complete yet, so I don't know if there's another way.

Here are the prompts from last year. I'll update this list if they have changed since then.

- If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine.
- How well did your high school prepare you for college?
- What determined your choice of college(s)?
- How do you assess your college record?
- Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?
- Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)
- Academic/Occupational background of family members (list highest degree earned and current occupation): Father, Mother, Other
- Foreign Travel
- Interest & Hobbies
- Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:
- What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?
- How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location)
- Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

Edit: Yes, they have kept the prompts the same since last year.

Are there any character/word limits on the secondary? Thanks!

Are there any character/word limits on the secondary? Thanks!

Hmm, it won't let me edit the essays since I've finalized my secondary... but for the prompts 'foreign travel' onward there is a 500 character limit (and I'm assuming it is the same for the prompts preceding it).

It's killing me...I'm worried because my gpa is slightly lower so I wanted to apply early and broadly....not fun

I have finished 15 secondary's I have 10 I need to do and I'm still waiting on 17....

It's hard to do it while working, but because I'm in a city where I dont know too many people this summer I have lots of time on the weekends

The key is to reuse a lot of those essays...and my dad is the chair of his department(not an institution with a med school) so he reviews them and gives his two sense because he reads lots of resident apps.

Why are you applying to soo many? Your set!

Finally Submitted! I must say, all those little essays were obnoxious, but not nearly as bad some. At least they didn't ask for all of those things in a single 500 word essay! (coughECUcough)

On a related note. How long after mailing in the check did it take for ya'll to be complete?

Im in South Africa, but I had my parents send it with one of my checks from NC. Hopefully itll be done by the end of the week.

Anyone else unable to click on the Letters of Recommendation status check?? Everything else is complete, but I can't check if they have the letters yet:confused: How do I find out if I am complete? Do they send e-mails?

Anyone else unable to click on the Letters of Recommendation status check?? Everything else is complete, but I can't check if they have the letters yet:confused: How do I find out if I am complete? Do they send e-mails?

I couldn't click the link either. This was written beside the link:

"Check receipt of status of your Letters of Recommendation on the AMCAS website. Missing Letters of Recommendation do not affect interview consideration. However, all letters of Recommendation must be received prior to a Committee Decision being made."

It sounds like as long as your letters have been appropriately designated on AMCAS, you're in the clear. At least that's what I'm hoping. I didn't get an email stating that I was complete.

Thanks whatageek! I hope we hear from them soon...Good luck :xf:

I was kind of amused by the high school questions but only because I was too busy being a rebellious teenager to worry about college back then. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.