2011-2012 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay 1: Tell us something you are passionate about and why? (1500 characters)

Essay 2: At UMich Med, we are committed to building a superb education community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? (1500 characters)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What up Michigan applicants?

Though I won't be attending UM next year, it's a FANTASTIC school and they run a great admissions office. I thought I'd point all of you to their Twitter, which is maintained by the admissions director. There are a few tweets that have nothing to do with admissions, but he does share some useful information about the process generally and the general status of the cycle at Michigan specifically. Here it is: http://twitter.com/#!/UMichMedAdmiss

Good luck!

What up Michigan applicants?

Though I won't be attending UM next year, it's a FANTASTIC school and they run a great admissions office. I thought I'd point all of you to their Twitter, which is maintained by the admissions director. There are a few tweets that have nothing to do with admissions, but he does share some useful information about the process generally and the general status of the cycle at Michigan specifically. Here it is: http://twitter.com/#!/UMichMedAdmiss

Good luck!

Thanks for passing this along. This is one of my top schools.

As per Twitter, the 2 secondary essays will be posted this week.

Also, first interview invites (I'm assuming the first auto invites) will go out June 20.

Does anybody know if UM would wait to review your application if you indicated that a 2nd MCAT score is on its way?

As per Twitter, the 2 secondary essays will be posted this week.

Also, first interview invites (I'm assuming the first auto invites) will go out June 20.

Wow, that's early. Does that mean Michigan sends out invites based on your numbers from the primary app? (It seems too early for them to start processing secondaries).

Wow, that's early. Does that mean Michigan sends out invites based on your numbers from the primary app? (It seems too early for them to start processing secondaries).

I think Michigan give applicants with a 3.8/35 automatic interview invites

Members don't see this ad :)
Another plus is that they actually respond to things posted on their SDN thread (and the main pre-allo thread too especially if its something particularly stupid :laugh:). Check the twitter page now for the answer to your MCAT score question.

As an anecdote, I applied with a 4.0/41 and didn't receive an automatic invite. I was ultimately accepted on October 15th.

Don't be too riled up or disappointed if you don't get one of the automatic invites.

my bad, didn't mean to give out wrong information.

Does anybody know if UM would wait to review your application if you indicated that a 2nd MCAT score is on its way?

From twitter: "More than 1 MCAT score? We'll review with the score on file AND again when we get new scores!"

Essay1: Tell us something you are passionate about and why? (1500 Characters-about 250 words)

I'm glad the essay is up, quick question though!

Lets say we mentioned something in our primary and PS like baseball quite a bit. I played baseball as a youngster through college. I chose it as a most meaningful. Would it be overkill to talk about it more? It is something I am really passionate about, but should I highlight something else?

Lets say we mentioned something in our primary and PS like baseball quite a bit. I played baseball as a youngster through college. I chose it as a most meaningful. Would it be overkill to talk about it more? It is something I am really passionate about, but should I highlight something else?
If you have something new to say about it, I would include it. If not, it's a good space to expand on something else IMO.

Take advantage of the opportunity to expose other aspects of your life. If you have nothing else to talk about, then you don't have much of a choice. I would try to mention something else if you can talk about it meaningfully.

do you think saying a sport you've played recreationally since you were a kid would count as a solid passion? I feel as if I have everything on my primary app already, and that's all that's been left out lol.

Essay 2: At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse, talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community?
Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Last edited:
The twitter said that they do give out interviews without a complete secondary. Is there any disadvantage to waiting for an interview before filling out the secondary?

The twitter said that they do give out interviews without a complete secondary. Is there any disadvantage to waiting for an interview before filling out the secondary?

This is for people with high numbers and from specific schools. This is what we were talking about earlier in the thread with respect to automatic invites.

There's a severe disadvantage because you'll either be invited or you won't, and waiting is just waste of time. Michigan has a VERY aggressive rolling admissions philosophy; you won't to get your stuff in as fast as possible. They don't mess around.

How do you send the secondary to UofM? Is it by snail mail or is it online. I am going to be out of country from Monday for next 3 weeks and feel really bad because some secondaries I got today requires mailing hard copies with signature.

How do you send the secondary to UofM? Is it by snail mail or is it online. I am going to be out of country from Monday for next 3 weeks and feel really bad because some secondaries I got today requires mailing hard copies with signature.

It is online :)

In previous years it's been closer to 3.8/38. It also depends on your undergraduate institution.

As an anecdote, I applied with a 4.0/41 and didn't receive an automatic invite. I was ultimately accepted on October 15th.

Don't be too riled up or disappointed if you don't get one of the automatic invites.

They're also given out at the committee's discretion. I applied with a 3.6 gpa and 32 mcat, and I got one. Also I didn't go to a prestigious school for undergrad, so it's not just about that.
:luck: Everyone. UM is an awesome school!

They're also given out at the committee's discretion. I applied with a 3.6 gpa and 32 mcat, and I got one. Also I didn't go to a prestigious school for undergrad, so it's not just about that.
:luck: Everyone. UM is an awesome school!

I know it's irrational and borderline neurotic, but I really hope I get a autoinvite. :xf:

I know it's irrational and borderline neurotic, but I really hope I get a autoinvite. :xf:

They really don't give out that many autoinvites. I think it's something like 10% of the total invitations they plan on giving.

But then again, I could be totally making that number up.

EDIT: Recent tweet from Director Ruiz cleared this up. Autoinvites are about 15% of interview invites and are approved by the director.

Last edited:
They really don't give out that many autoinvites. I think it's something like 10% of the total invitations they plan on giving.

But then again, I could be totally making that number up.

EDIT: Recent tweet from Director Ruiz cleared this up. Autoinvites are about 15% of interview invites and are approved by the director.

I didn't go through the MD admissions process, so I'm curious now:

How do you distinguish between an auto-invite and a regular invite? Is it just the speed of the invite alone?

I didn't go through the MD admissions process, so I'm curious now:

How do you distinguish between an auto-invite and a regular invite? Is it just the speed of the invite alone?

Auto-invite just means an invite before the secondary is submitted. You still need to submit the secondary, though, to be admitted.

WOW. auto invites. lol. i bet a scholarship comes with that too. :D

ditto. same essays as last year

I had a meeting at U of M today. Basically they told me that if you don't have a 3.6+ (MAYBE 3.5...) science GPA don't bother applying, because they won't even get to the rest of your application.

Can all those who got auto-invites please PM me their stats too? Thanks...

Do auto-invites ever go out to MD/PhD applicants, or are they just for MD applicants?

I had a meeting at U of M today. Basically they told me that if you don't have a 3.6+ (MAYBE 3.5...) science GPA don't bother applying, because they won't even get to the rest of your application.

sigh i wish i read this earlier before i added UMich last second...

Status
Not open for further replies.