2011-2012 University of Mississippi Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mom lives down the street from Ole Miss. I took a few classes there a couple years ago. Im applying here this year. :)

My dad's family lives in Oxford too. I think I would much rather go to med school there than in Jackson.. :/

I'm from LA, can I apply here? Confused about OOS rules.

I'm from LA, can I apply here? Confused about OOS rules.

No, I don't believe so. I think I remember someone saying it doesn't even appear in the drop down menu after putting another state as their residence. Even if you could, I don't think you would want to because they wouldn't accept you. Call them if this link doesn't answer your questions.

http://som.umc.edu/admissions.html

No, I don't believe so. I think I remember someone saying it doesn't even appear in the drop down menu after putting another state as their residence. Even if you could, I don't think you would want to because they wouldn't accept you. Call them if this link doesn't answer your questions.

http://som.umc.edu/admissions.html

Thanks for the heads up pure skill. I had figured UMC didn't use AMCAS, but I suppose it doesn't show because of my residence, as you said.

Anyway, good luck to you.

What is the secondary essay question for UMMC?

Interview invite too! Funny, I didn't even get a secondary application. I already scheduled my interview, and I just now received it and am filling it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about "on average" how long it takes for UMC to give a final decision on your status after the interview?

Did you happen to interview, yet? Does anyone know how the interviews are conducted? One on one or multiple interviewers at once?

I'm interviewing on Thursday. I think we'll have 3 one-on-one faculty interviews.

how did your interview go? how did you like the interview location?

Hey, I thought it went well! My interview group was really small (only 4 people including myself). We didn't get to see the hospital or anatomy lab, but I liked the campus overall.. it had a good community atmosphere. The tour guides and admissions staff were helpful and the interviews were really laid-back and conversational. (Each interviewer does have a list of questions they're supposed to ask in 30 minutes, but it wasn't as structured as it might sound.)

Definitely check out the interview survey results.

Good luck!

So will decisions be posted tonight? Anyone know? I was told midnight on the 15th at my interview but I'm not sure since it's a weekend..

I was also told that on the 16th at 12:01 A.M. everyone that has already interviewed would be told a decision by email. At least that was what I was told at the interview. But she did throw in the disclaimer that if for some reason the system was acting up, then it could possibly be later. The way she said it makes me believe that they have had problems with it in the past, due to the large number of automated emails being sent at the same time. So hopefully that is not the case :scared:

That's what Dr. Davis told my group, also. She said we should get it at midnight on Oct 16, and that we could check online on their secondary application service. I was so excited yesterday, cause I thought it was yesterday lol.

Thanks for the info. Good luck everyone!!!

Good luck to everyone! I just heard decisions were sent at midnight!

UMC is a great school and the faculty/staff are extremely supportive.

See you guys next Fall!

Good luck to everyone else. I was rejected =*[. I really liked this school, too.

Last edited:
I sent in my secondary over a week ago. How long did it take you guys to get interviews? I hope the class isnt full :(

Last edited:
I sent in my secondary over a week ago. How long did it take you guys to get interviews? I hope the class isnt full :(

I got an interview invite about 2 months after I sent in my secondary, but I applied early. I seriously doubt that the class is already full.. it's only October. (Btw.. accepted on Sunday!!!)

I got an interview invite about 2 months after I sent in my secondary, but I applied early. I seriously doubt that the class is already full.. it's only October. (Btw.. accepted on Sunday!!!)

congratz!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

you can apply if you are out of state. but i lived in a bordering state.

this is the only school that has rejected me, haha. I don't really care, I completely hated everything about it; it's like they are stuck in the 1940s and way too conservative for my tastes. I am glad I interviewed though because initially I thought I may like it, but I am glad I found out.

The whole interview crew is totally disrespectful. If you have really good numbers, expect them to look at you as a outcast. I totally felt isolated and a lack of any form of welcome, it's like the whole interview was about why are you at our school.

This is a very stressful process. I completed my secondaries late August, my transcripts were there and my file was complete OCT 6. I have heard absolutely NOTHING. Its been almost 6 weeks and nothing. Im starting to loose hope. The said they only do interviews through december so...

No, no interviews yet. I just recieved my first rejection from UMMC, the only MD medical school in our state. My number one choice. :( I just dont get it, I did everything right. I know people with way worse stats than me, and they got in. I still need to hear from two more schools but they are maybe a longer shot. I will be 24 in march and do not know if I will still be interrested in starting medical school at 25.

Can ppl that interview at UMC share their experience, questions, etc... I received an interview invite for Dec and I couldn't find any resourceful information regarding the interview.

thank you

Good luck to all of you who are waiting for an interview from this school. I was completed on Sep and I just received an interview invite couple days ago. I almost gave up on this school. Don't give up. God is great. If you reach out to him, he won't turn you down. :)

Can ppl that interview at UMC share their experience, questions, etc... I received an interview invite for Dec and I couldn't find any resourceful information regarding the interview.

thank you

Good luck to all of you who are waiting for an interview from this school. I was completed on Sep and I just received an interview invite couple days ago. I almost gave up on this school. Don't give up. God is great. If you reach out to him, he won't turn you down. :)

Check out the interview survey results.
http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/olemiss

My interview was fine. Got a handful of "interesting" questions but nothing too crazy.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the site you requested but no valuable information there. I only found school overview.

Quick question.

For those who have been tagged as "decision postponed/tabled," does anyone know how successful people were in previous classes for getting accepted?

TIA

No, no interviews yet. I just recieved my first rejection from UMMC, the only MD medical school in our state. My number one choice. :( I just dont get it, I did everything right. I know people with way worse stats than me, and they got in. I still need to hear from two more schools but they are maybe a longer shot. I will be 24 in march and do not know if I will still be interrested in starting medical school at 25.

Sorry to hear that. Do you care to comment on your stats? I want to apply next year and see how I may stack up. This process is confusing and stressful. It's a crapshoot for real. What other schools have you applied?

Quick question.

For those who have been tagged as "decision postponed/tabled," does anyone know how successful people were in previous classes for getting accepted?

TIA

There has been significant movement off the tabled list in the past couple of years. I do not have any hard numbers, sorry. They usually take a significant number of people in the spring after interviews are complete. If you end up on the waitlist, there usually NOT a lot of movement from that list. This year I think they are doing things a little differently. In the past, it seemed that they tabled a huge number of people. However, this year I know of a few people who I assumed would be tabled but they were rejected, and one person who was on the waitlist last year but outright rejected this year. Are they changing their policies, or is this year a stronger class? I do not have the answer to either of those questions, you can read into it what you like. Hope that helps and good luck.

Sorry to hear that. Do you care to comment on your stats? I want to apply next year and see how I may stack up. This process is confusing and stressful. It's a crapshoot for real. What other schools have you applied?

I'm not the above poster you asked for stats, but here are mine:
sGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.7
Graduate GPA: 4.0 (All Science)
MCAT 30P (12BS,9VR,9PS)

I know a couple that have been accepted at 27-29 and some that have been rejected at 27-29.
I don't think this school is as much of a crapshoot as other OOS schools. If you get an interview, exhibit maturity during the interview, and can carry a conversation, you usually get accepted.

:D I am gonna be a Dr.

FYI: had the interview yesterday
Good luck to you all

Thanks. My group was lucky. we were the last group they interviewed a day before the committee's decision. So ppl should be hearing something about acceptance today. Good luck to you all. And congrats to all the ones that were accepted.

I'm not the above poster you asked for stats, but here are mine:
sGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.7
Graduate GPA: 4.0 (All Science)
MCAT 30P (12BS,9VR,9PS)

I know a couple that have been accepted at 27-29 and some that have been rejected at 27-29.
I don't think this school is as much of a crapshoot as other OOS schools. If you get an interview, exhibit maturity during the interview, and can carry a conversation, you usually get accepted.

Thanks jwhitebc22. I plan to apply next june early. I hope I can get a 30+ on my MCAT. My cGPA is 3.56 and my sGPA is 3.3; therefore, I need to get a slightly higher MCAT according to their sliding scale. I have decent nonclinical community service, and still working on clinical experiences (real low now). Also, I have work history, research, leadership, and tutoring. I know I can get excellent LORs from current employers, science/nonscience professors, and research professors. My PS has been completed 2 years but I will tweak it to add my most current stuff. I'm no longer a student (26 yrs old), and have chemistry (biochem) and biology (microbio) B.S. degrees.

Like I said, the MCAT and clinical is my main worry for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.