2011-2012 University of North Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably my first choice, great school and price. Looking forward to getting application stuff out of the way

I'm not submitting AMCAS til August 1st so I can put my summer experience on there, UNC has a pretty gracious invite percentage for IS applicants...still nervous though

does anyone know how UNC views OOSers? they seem pretty accepting....:xf:

I'll likely be re-applying here (on a waitlist now), but would love the chance to attend.

Also a reapplicant this year. By FAR my first choice.

Top choice for me too...can't beat that in-state tuition!!

Good luck everyone! Just submitted my AMCAS this morning!

Hoping to get some OOS love from this school. I'm from Wisconsin but growing up spent time in NC during summers and I love the state, especially UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone comment on how important 'state ties' are for OOSers? i really like the idea of applying to UNC but i know it's rough for us OOSers, and if they are going to give me the autoboot for not having family there etc then i don't want to just waste money. all i can give them is i spent a summer here and i lurvs your state, pls to let me live in it... not sure how much that's going to sway them.

can anyone comment on how important 'state ties' are for OOSers? i really like the idea of applying to UNC but i know it's rough for us OOSers, and if they are going to give me the autoboot for not having family there etc then i don't want to just waste money. all i can give them is i spent a summer here and i lurvs your state, pls to let me live in it... not sure how much that's going to sway them.

I don't know. I know someone who got into Hopkins but not interviewed at UNC as an OOS student and they had family on faculty. Take that with a grain of salt as n=1

LOL well ok then. that's cool, that's not intimidating or anything, i'm probably good o_O

LOL well ok then. that's cool, that's not intimidating or anything, i'm probably good o_O

You have good stats, if you like the school you should definitely apply...Carolina is an awesome med school

As a student at UNC Med, would you be qualified to purchase student tickets for UNC basketball?

Anyone know anything about the academic scholarships at UNC? I know the tuition is already really reasonable, but I have heard that they are also pretty generous with giving out scholarships? Maybe someone who got in last year can comment on this?

Reapplying 2012, still sitting on the UNC wait list for this Fall.. but you know how that goes. Good luck to everyone!

Anyone know anything about the academic scholarships at UNC? I know the tuition is already really reasonable, but I have heard that they are also pretty generous with giving out scholarships? Maybe someone who got in last year can comment on this?

I don't know, I think they have some

then again this would be something to worry about if we're lucky to get an acceptance

UNC has a screen FYI

so for all IS applicants if you pass the screen and get a secondary, you get an automatic interview invite.

Tnx for the pointer man! as an OOSer, i guess my odds are against me, but oh wells. haha. i think that's the same with my state school-UW.

Cheers! Hope you get into UNC!

This might be the last secondary we receive.

I'm hoping pretty hard for the UNC secondary. This school will be one of the toughest for me to get into, being OOS. I know a UNC grad, and he has nothing but amazing things to say about this school and Chapel Hill itself.

Anyone know what kind of importance that UNC places on the writing sample portion of the MCAT?

Just got an email from UNC saying they received my primary. Hoping to get the secondary soon!

OOS applicant (I know, it makes me sad too).
Received acknowledgement email today as well.
:xf: for all of us.

Hey folks,

I'm an incoming MS1 to UNC (wow, so proud to write that!) I'm an OOSer, and I had literally zero ties to UNC, or Chapel Hill, or North Carolina. Literally, none at all! If I had to say why I got in, I'll venture to say that it was:

a) An extraordinary amount of luck -- OOSers get screened hard, but post-interview, you've got a great chance of getting in!
b) Good essays that reflect my acknowledgement that I don't know everything, but that I'm willing to learn, and that I truly love helping the people around me. Folks at UNC, on the whole, are some of the friendliest, most helpful people I've ever met. Even on the facebook page for our class, they will jump to help you, and if you're that sort of person, I think you'll be a great fit for the school
c) The fact that I really jived with the school during the interview. If you're an OOSer and you feel like this school is the right place for you, be ready to explain that in your secondary essay and during your interview! They don't take very many OOSers, so they really want people who truly want to be at UNC and will thrive in Chapel Hill.

Good luck you guys! If you're an OOSer and are interested in the school, please don't hesitate to apply! It's an awesome school in a very lovely part of the US. Don't let statistics deter you!

I wish you all the best!

PS - Someone asked about scholarships... I don't know very much, but I can tell that the state funding was limited this year, and so the scholarship money wasn't as abundant as past years. Who knows how it will be for you guys? But OOSers can claim in-state residency after a year, so it's all good!

Hey folks,

I'm an incoming MS1 to UNC (wow, so proud to write that!) I'm an OOSer, and I had literally zero ties to UNC, or Chapel Hill, or North Carolina. Literally, none at all! If I had to say why I got in, I'll venture to say that it was:

a) An extraordinary amount of luck -- OOSers get screened hard, but post-interview, you've got a great chance of getting in!
b) Good essays that reflect my acknowledgement that I don't know everything, but that I'm willing to learn, and that I truly love helping the people around me. Folks at UNC, on the whole, are some of the friendliest, most helpful people I've ever met. Even on the facebook page for our class, they will jump to help you, and if you're that sort of person, I think you'll be a great fit for the school
c) The fact that I really jived with the school during the interview. If you're an OOSer and you feel like this school is the right place for you, be ready to explain that in your secondary essay and during your interview! They don't take very many OOSers, so they really want people who truly want to be at UNC and will thrive in Chapel Hill.

Good luck you guys! If you're an OOSer and are interested in the school, please don't hesitate to apply! It's an awesome school in a very lovely part of the US. Don't let statistics deter you!

I wish you all the best!

PS - Someone asked about scholarships... I don't know very much, but I can tell that the state funding was limited this year, and so the scholarship money wasn't as abundant as past years. Who knows how it will be for you guys? But OOSers can claim in-state residency after a year, so it's all good!

whoa whoa whoa. hold the phone. OOSers can qualify for instate residency after a year, and can therefore get instate TUITION after a year?? because that is a game changer, even if their money is limited... do you have a link for that? also thanks for your response! good to know OOSers have a shot.

whoa whoa whoa. hold the phone. OOSers can qualify for instate residency after a year, and can therefore get instate TUITION after a year?? because that is a game changer, even if their money is limited... do you have a link for that? also thanks for your response! good to know OOSers have a shot.

you should apply! looking at your mdapps you should have a great chance!
:luck:

I don't have a link but YES--OOSers can apply for in-state residency after their first year, so long as they change their drivers license to NC, pay NC taxes, and basically move and live in NC for at least a full 365 days prior to the start of second year. Then, in second year, you fill out an application. In fact, I've heard that almost everybody pays in-state tuition after their first or second year. It's awesome, almost like getting a $30,000 scholarship starting 2nd or 3rd year.

If you google "residency for tuition purposes UNC" I think that'll give you more info.

I don't have a link but YES--OOSers can apply for in-state residency after their first year, so long as they change their drivers license to NC, pay NC taxes, and basically move and live in NC for at least a full 365 days prior to the start of second year. Then, in second year, you fill out an application. In fact, I've heard that almost everybody pays in-state tuition after their first or second year. It's awesome, almost like getting a $30,000 scholarship starting 2nd or 3rd year.

If you google "residency for tuition purposes UNC: I think that'll give you more info.

So the SOM site has this:

"How is North Carolina residency determined for tuition purposes? To qualify for in-state tuition for a given term, North Carolina law requires proof that a bona fide domicile was established in North Carolina at least twelve months before the beginning of the term, and that it was maintained for continuouslly, and that you were physcially present in the state during that time, for purposes other than attending school..."

TN has a caveat like that too but I've been in grad school the whole time I've been here and CCs have gone ahead and classified me as in state. Is NC like that too where the caveat is there if they want to refuse you, but they commonly don't (since you said they are willing to reclassify for lots of students, I'm assuming so - clearly they won't have been in the state for 12months without attending school when the reclassify 2nd year...)? If so loooovely. I am probably going to add UNC to my list. I really love north carolina and UNC would be a great place to go!

That "for purposes other than attending school" thing is really easy to get around. If you hold any type of employment at all during the year, even if its only for a day, you can say that you were in the state to work. Friends of mine have done that for bot a VA state school and NC state school.

Very excited for this application; one of my top choices! Hoping for an interview!

Anyone hear anything about secondaries for OOS students?

I'm an out-of-stater (Georgia), got the email to complete the secondary app this morning. I'm an undergrad at UNC though, if that means anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.