2011-2012 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I know UND doesn't use AMCAS, but does it accept letters of recommendation from web-based letter holders like Interfolio, or must all of the letter writers send their letters directly to the school? Thanks.

i think they use virtual evals. I'm applying here too, got the app. won't submit it for a while though since they don't even look at them until November

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I know UND doesn't use AMCAS, but does it accept letters of recommendation from web-based letter holders like Interfolio, or must all of the letter writers send their letters directly to the school? Thanks.

It does say the letters can be sent via Interfolio.

Last edited:
i think it's something like 7 get in? I think they show preference to northwest minnesota. where in mn do you live?

twin cities...but have family in nd and parents went to und (not med). my #'s are pretty high (35S, 3.95), but im just worried there arent many, if any, spots for kids from my region

I have a few questions regarding the application...

1. Is anyone using their AMCAS personal statement for UND's personal statement? Like not changing much at all?
2. For the questions about honors and activities is is okay to use a list or bullet point format?
3. Who are people using as their "peer" letter writer?? I'm thinking about asking a good family friend/neighbor. I have known her for a LONG time and watch their kids all the time. It seems like kind of a big burden to place on someone though...

Thanks!

I have a few questions regarding the application...

1. Is anyone using their AMCAS personal statement for UND's personal statement? Like not changing much at all?
2. For the questions about honors and activities is is okay to use a list or bullet point format?
3. Who are people using as their "peer" letter writer?? I'm thinking about asking a good family friend/neighbor. I have known her for a LONG time and watch their kids all the time. It seems like kind of a big burden to place on someone though...

Thanks!

1. yes
2. that's what I did
3. they want it to be someone your age, for me it was my best friend/ cousin with whom I had co-authored a novel

On a similar note, regarding the other essay's in the application, I don't see a word limit. How long should the "mission statement" essay be?

Thanks!

On a similar note, regarding the other essay's in the application, I don't see a word limit. How long should the "mission statement" essay be?

Thanks!

^ I was also wondering this...If you get an answer please post on here and help a fellow SDN-er!

^ I was also wondering this...If you get an answer please post on here and help a fellow SDN-er!

Mine was 490ish words. I'm thinking the cap might be 500? (I'll look around a little bit and see if I can find an answer)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they don't have essay length limits. Say everything you have to say... but don't add fluff. (this will make your essays compelling, complete, but also keep htem relatively short)

Thanks for update about the "mission statement" essay. One more question. For the extracurricular activities section, did people use a similar format as with AMCAS or did they use resume style? I'm not sure if I should insert a blurb about the activity and how I should do it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Hey everyone, I've seen a lot of good questions (many I was asking when I applied). I'm a MS-I at UNDSMHS so the process of applying is still pretty fresh in my head so if anyone has questions for me PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME! :DWe currently are on break after Block I so I will have tons of time this week to answer your questions about whatever: interviewing at UND, the curriculum, "what are my chances?" :confused:(GPA, MCAT, ND or MN or MT residence, etc). Good luck everyone!

I will say this about the school first of all: :love:I absolutely love being here:love:. I got a great impression of the school from interview day (mind you I'd never been to Grand Forks before). Students here really love being here too and that to me is important (I've seen other places where students weren't so enamored by there programs, they just went there because it was their last resort, and this attitude has a way of negatively effecting the learning environment). The Patient-centered learning (PCL) curriculum is very unique, but effective in teaching the basic sciences. It cuts back significantly on formal didactic lecture time, and for me, the basic sciences material we cover in PCL tends to "stick with me" better when it's applied to a patient case.

We are a pretty diverse crowd too, I have classmates from Yale, Gonzaga, Baylor, Texas A & M, U of W so we are pretty diverse. Addressing the question about MN residence: yes, the preference is for those from northwest MN, but I have classmates from places like Wilmar and the cities so don't count yourself out if your from other parts of MN.

Again, if you have any questions, just ask!

I received a couple questions thus far:

1. What is the grading policy at UND? P/F, ABCD. etc.
A: 1. Our grading policy the first year is pass/fail in each component of the block exam: clinical skills, patient case exam, and multiple choice exam. All components must be satisfactorily completed to pass the block. This system takes off a bit of the stress by not having an ABCDF system while your acclimating to a medical school pace of life. In 2nd year grading is pass/fail/honors and I believe passing all block components with a grade >90% gets you honors. If in the event that you happen to fail a component of a block (so far so good :thumbup:) you have to "remediate" the following week of exams. If you happen to fail 2 or more components or fail to pass the component during remediation week you will have to essentially redo the block over the summer. 3rd and 4th years are P/F/H as well which it sounds like is pretty standard from school to school.

2. What's the general vibe of the students? Competitive, community.
A: So far the only significant person-person competition I've experienced is that of me pushing myself to work harder. The vibe here is definitely supportive, I could write at length regarding this subject but suffice it to say that classmates are awesome, 2nd years are awesome (very willing to help us figure this new world out), and faculty is amazingly supportive. It is a place very conducive to studying. The school has also taken some steps to assist us in adjusting too like setting up 2nd year mentors (incredibly helpful in figuring out how to study and stay stress-free in medical school) and arranging faculty advisors during block 1 (helpful in accessing weakness in that block's curriculum). Like I said earlier, it was nice to see that med students here actually applied to UND because they wouldn't mind spending 4 years here.

3. When did you hear about the interview? I'm complete, i think they start looking through them in november. Thanks! I received my interview request early in December for the 6th of January. Mind you this was one of the later possible interview times. After I was done interviewing, I asked some admissions people about how dates are assigned and they told me:)rolleyes:) that their initial student rankings does not influence date of your interview, but rather priority goes to those with geographical factors playing into their flexibility (i.e. people with larger distances to travel like WICHE students from Montana as opposed to those applying that live in GF). Unfortunately, I'm sure you want to know when the earliest is that you will hear back from them and that I can't say for sure, sorry!

I just sent them my LOR's that were on Interfolio. Interfolio recognized the UND mailing address and didn't even prompt me for an AMCAS number or AMCAS letter ID to attach to the letters.

Has anyone received an interview offer yet? I think they send a lot of them out at the same time correct?

Dec 9, 10, 15, 16. Jan 6, 7. This is the first time I've seen a school offer Saturday interviews. My email was addressed specifically to the out-of-area applicants, so locals might get something else.

Their interview invite window is pretty small is it not?

Their applicant pool is pretty small too, considering they pre-screen their primary :) Looking over my other interview invites all around the country, I usually get a choice of 8 days spread over 4 weeks, so this is just a little smaller.

Dang. Must have passed me over. Oh well

When should you hear by if your going to get an II?

Take a look at last year's thread. Based off of that, they invite the top 100 using a point system for GPA, MCAT, and residency. These invites should have already gone out. Next, the committee will review 30 - 35 more applicants. Expect to hear back sometime the week of December 4th.

Hahaha, folding blankets is still a good skill to have.

Their system probably saves them a lot of time and they probably found that in the end they would interview the same people. I assume acceptances are a little harder. Maybe a blanket folding contest? J/K

Take a look at last year's thread. Based off of that, they invite the top 100 using a point system for GPA, MCAT, and residency. These invites should have already gone out. Next, the committee will review 30 - 35 more applicants. Expect to hear back sometime the week of December 4th.

Thank you, much appreciated. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I called and found out letters were going out today. They gave me an answer over the phone and unfortunately for me I was rejected.

Good luck to those interviewing!!!

thanks for the update! do you mind posting your stats and maybe where you are from?

Hi,

I am considering applying to this school next year. The website says they "discourage" non-ND residents from applying. Does this mean what it says (that non-ND residents are just discouraged from applying) or does it basically mean that it is impossible for people who are not ND residents, MN residents or Native Americans to gain admission? Thanks.

They pre-screen their primary. When the application season opens, you answer a questionnaire on their website. If they think you have enough ties to ND, they will send you an application. This pre-screening process is free.

OOS Applicant, Rcvd Interview Invite Today! Honored but going to decline. Wish all your prospective UND medstudents the best ;)

Anyone else interviewing in the afternoon on January 7th?

I've gotten word that the letter's are out... Best of Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.