2011-2012 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) What is the most fun you've ever had? (3-5 sentences)
2) Tell us about your most prized possession. (3-5 sentences)
3) If you couldn't be a doctor, what occupation would you be and why? (3-5 sentences)
4) What would you change about the application process to medical school? (3-5 sentences)

Essay Prompt: The Keck School of Medicine Office of Admissions strives to recruit a diverse student population. Please describe how your unique experiences, qualities, abilities, and background would contribute to the diversity of the incoming class. (300 words)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
About that molecular biology requirement... does biochem count for this?

Edit:
Nevermind... so we need molecular biology AND biochem? Well then, I've got my work cut out for me.

Last edited:
30 semester hours? lol I think I'm on pace to graduate with ~15.... guess this is going off my list.

only thing standing between me and applying to USC is that molecular bio requirement...

About that molecular biology requirement... does biochem count for this?

Edit:
Nevermind... so we need molecular biology AND biochem? Well then, I've got my work cut out for me.

When I looked at their website last year, it listed both molecular bio and biochem. Now, I can only find a molecular bio requirement. I really hope they nixed the biochem!! I've got molecular, but not biochem.

USC is totes my dream school though! :love: I'd be willing to take biochem if it meant I could go to USC. Not sure I could say that about any other school.

When I looked at their website last year, it listed both molecular bio and biochem. Now, I can only find a molecular bio requirement. I really hope they nixed the biochem!! I've got molecular, but not biochem.

USC is totes my dream school though! :love: I'd be willing to take biochem if it meant I could go to USC. Not sure I could say that about any other school.
Samesies :love::love::love::love::love:

Hm...I just checked. They definitely changed the requirements a bit since Jan...the last time I checked their website. Why did they take out the Biochem requirement and not Molec Bio?? I took a Evolutionary Bio and Cell/Molec Bio...but they are going to end up counting as my intro classes...gahhh USC!!

anyone know if it is less competitive to apply without completing all the requirements? Say I some how squeeze Molec Bio to second semester of senior year?

anyone know if it is less competitive to apply without completing all the requirements?

Most schools don't check on the requirements until matriculation. Just think about all of those poor rising seniors who have barely completed their BCPM requirements! So long as you complete the required courses before orientation, you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here's a question for those of you looking for housing, albeit very early. (Here's my preemptive apology, as I intend to ask this question again later once we're all further along and the forum has more regular views.)

What would you be willing to pay for the following rental options:

3BR, 2bath, ~900sq ft house in-between century city and Inglewood, technichally “Los Angeles” address, very close to the 405 & La Cienega (best traffic route to UCLA from this hood), sharing with me and possibly one other person. This one is a bit retro, LoL. Still looks like it's the 80s inside, but very comfortable, great neighborhood. Right next to LAPD training center, too. I think this is a 15mi jaunt to UCLA, but haven't checked Keck distance yet.

3BR, 1bath, ~1000sq ft house in Redondo Beach off of Inglewood Ave, like 50ft away from Adams Middle/Washington Elementary. Uber safe hood and more modern home, renovated in 90s, tiles, sky lights, etc., but a little longer of a drive to school. It's about 5 miles from the 405 and 2 miles from Ocean front. It also has a ~600sq ft guest house in back that has another bathroom & kitchen, but no hot water (codes issue, long, long story--you know Cali codes *shudder*). I think this is a 20-25mi jaunt to UCLA, but also haven't looked at Keck distance.

I'm originally from LA but have been living in the East for a while and really want to come back via UCLA or UCS Keck. I intend to buy these houses from my Dad, but will need roommates to pull it off.

Please PM me if interested and let me know what you think it'd be worth. I’ll keep your info for later. Even if I choose UCSF or something, I’d still like to buy these homes and rent them to med students…you know, since we’re all so responsible and whatnot. :smuggrin:

Take care!

This is from their website. I don't really know if I fully understand what is going on but hopefully this clear it up for you!! haha

"Requirement can be met by courses in the following areas: Molecular Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Advanced Cell Biology or the equivalent."

Does this mean that this requirement can be met by taking Genetics? or does it have to be molecular genetics? What about just Cell Biology? I mean are these just differences in the names (so just semantics) or is there actual content difference?

Ok, here's a question for those of you looking for housing, albeit very early. (Here's my preemptive apology, as I intend to ask this question again later once we're all further along and the forum has more regular views.)

What would you be willing to pay for the following rental options:

3BR, 2bath, ~900sq ft house in-between century city and Inglewood, technichally “Los Angeles” address, very close to the 405 & La Cienega (best traffic route to UCLA from this hood), sharing with me and possibly one other person. This one is a bit retro, LoL. Still looks like it's the 80s inside, but very comfortable, great neighborhood. Right next to LAPD training center, too. I think this is a 15mi jaunt to UCLA, but haven't checked Keck distance yet.

3BR, 1bath, ~1000sq ft house in Redondo Beach off of Inglewood Ave, like 50ft away from Adams Middle/Washington Elementary. Uber safe hood and more modern home, renovated in 90s, tiles, sky lights, etc., but a little longer of a drive to school. It's about 5 miles from the 405 and 2 miles from Ocean front. It also has a ~600sq ft guest house in back that has another bathroom & kitchen, but no hot water (codes issue, long, long story--you know Cali codes *shudder*). I think this is a 20-25mi jaunt to UCLA, but also haven't looked at Keck distance.

I'm originally from LA but have been living in the East for a while and really want to come back via UCLA or UCS Keck. I intend to buy these houses from my Dad, but will need roommates to pull it off.

Please PM me if interested and let me know what you think it'd be worth. I’ll keep your info for later. Even if I choose UCSF or something, I’d still like to buy these homes and rent them to med students…you know, since we’re all so responsible and whatnot. :smuggrin:

Take care!
I'm an incoming Keck student, and I think both of those options might be okay for UCLA, but are really pretty far from the USC Health Sciences Campus. Keep in mind that from those areas, you will be driving through the heart of downtown in rush hour every day. Classes start at 8 am, although those are the lectures that are usually optional. Some students love the Westside and think the commute is worth it, but most Keck kids I know live in Downtown, Silverlake/Los Feliz, Pasadena/SPas, etc.

Good luck to everyone this app cycle! Feel free to PM me if you have questions, or I'll occasionally lurk on this thread to try to be a help. :luck:

I'm an incoming Keck student, and I think both of those options might be okay for UCLA, but are really pretty far from the USC Health Sciences Campus. Keep in mind that from those areas, you will be driving through the heart of downtown in rush hour every day. Classes start at 8 am, although those are the lectures that are usually optional. Some students love the Westside and think the commute is worth it, but most Keck kids I know live in Downtown, Silverlake/Los Feliz, Pasadena/SPas, etc.

Word. That sounds about right. Silverlake isn't bad, especially considering Red Lion: best cooked German on that side of town.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll come across some of those Keck kids that prefer West Los.

Take care and keep your head above the water during First year.

This is from their website. I don't really know if I fully understand what is going on but hopefully this clear it up for you!! haha

"Requirement can be met by courses in the following areas: Molecular Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Advanced Cell Biology or the equivalent."

Does this mean that this requirement can be met by taking Genetics? or does it have to be molecular genetics? What about just Cell Biology? I mean are these just differences in the names (so just semantics) or is there actual content difference?

I think that the name probably isn't as important as the content. I'd imagine they're looking for any general upper-division bio class (as in, beyond a normal year's sequence). If you have any doubt, I would call up their admissions office to ask. I'm sure they get that question a lot.

At the school where I did my postbac (Colorado) Bio I is called "Intro to Mollecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology" and Bio II is "Genetics". I still took an upper division bio class, "Cell and Molecular Bio", solely to satisfy USC's requirement (I love this school :D ). By names, it would look like the first two classes would satisfy their requirement, but I think they need a true upper-division.

Hey guys I'm very interested in USC's MD/MS dual degree program. Does anyone how the application process to this program works? Am I allowed to apply to it only if I've been accepted into their MD program? Thanks.

Good luck to everyone this app cycle! Feel free to PM me if you have questions, or I'll occasionally lurk on this thread to try to be a help. :luck:

Along with DaisyBuchanan, I am also matriculating at Keck next year and wanted to extend the same offer. If you want advice about the application or interview process, or simply more information about Keck from the inside, I'll do my best to find answers. PM me!

Best of luck with the applications guys! :xf: I am super excited to start at Keck in August!! My plan over the next year is to update you guys periodically on what it is like to be a student at Keck. Hopefully I can continue this over the next 4 years and eventually give you a perspective more worthwhile than that of a first-year!

Hey guys I'm very interested in USC's MD/MS dual degree program. Does anyone how the application process to this program works? Am I allowed to apply to it only if I've been accepted into their MD program? Thanks.

I don't know too much about the degree, but I was able to glean some information from the website. It seems that the application is for current USC students only -- so you wouldn't need to do anything until you actually matriculate at Keck (except maybe mention your interest during the interview). I also am a bit interested in it, although if I do decide to take time away from medical school to do research I might try for one of the year-off fellowships (Doris Duke, HHMI, etc. even though they are insanely competitive) or through the Dean's Research Scholars Program at USC (tuition-free year w/stipend, includes a thesis).

Last edited:
Along with DaisyBuchanan, I am also matriculating at Keck next year and wanted to extend the same offer. If you want advice about the application or interview process, or simply more information about Keck from the inside, I'll do my best to find answers. PM me!

What kind of scholarship/aid does USC offer?

What kind of scholarship/aid does USC offer?

Scholarships are kind of hit or miss at USC. I know of people that were offered good aid packages, but most people do not receive much in the way of initial aid (beyond just loans). They offer a few need-based and merit-based scholarships to incoming students.

Significantly more scholarships are available for current USC medical students: some are merit-based, some are need-based, and all are on a competitive basis. The likelihood of getting one of those, as I understand it, is reasonable. I'm hoping USC does more to defray the cost of attending, especially for incoming students. I definitely believe it's a great school but the financial aspect dissuades some from attending (although I also know of many who chose USC over other UC schools despite the increase in cost). I think some plans are in the works, and if I hear more I will post about it.

Here's a link to all the scholarships offered at USC. All of those (besides the first line) are for current students.

Last edited:
I just submitted my primary application to AMCAS and wanted to know how long USC takes to respond by hopefully giving me the Secondary application.

Just submitted my app to USC-also waiting on a secondary. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Just submitted my app to USC-also waiting on a secondary. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Just got it today. They've changed it quite a bit from last year. Looks pretty fun! Creative questions.

An absolutely amazing school - with a ridiculously cool, diverse patient population. A reach for me, yes, but I'd love to go here.

Even as an ex-Cal Bear ;).

Sorry...a bit unclear...did you get the secondary after to submitted AMCAS or after it was verified. I know some schools send their secondary out like the day after you press the submit button, but most wait until AMCAS is verified and they actually receive all your materials.

3) If you couldn't be a doctor, what occupation would you be and why? (3-5 sentences)
4) What would you change about the application process to medical school? (3-5 sentences)

Essay Prompt: The Keck School of Medicine Office of Admissions strives to recruit a diverse student population. Please describe how your unique experiences, qualities, abilities, and background would contribute to the diversity of the incoming class. (300 words)

I'm having trouble submitting my payment, anyone else getting a weird error?

Right? I think I have good answers for the first two. It's the diversity one that's going to give me trouble the entire cycle. I think a lot of schools ask something similar.

Does USC screen? I haven't received anything.

USC does not screen.. I'm sure you'll get a secondary invitation soon enough! And this applies to the entire cycle but make sure you guys check your spam folders, sometimes e-mail from medical schools can get plopped there by accident. If you're submitted/verified already and have been for a while, give it a week and then if you still don't have the secondary, it might be a good idea to call.

Those are interesting prompts for the secondary. I like the short answer questions. The diversity question is always a tough one to answer, though. Good luck with the secondary guys.

I thought they didn't screen...? I haven't received one yet.

I thought they didn't screen...? I haven't received one yet.

Don't worry, they don't screen. They're probably sending out the secondaries in batches, which is why we haven't gotten it yet.

Right? I think I have good answers for the first two. It's the diversity one that's going to give me trouble the entire cycle. I think a lot of schools ask something similar.

You are not alone in this struggle. When I read question 4 my initial thought was, force schools to use simpler secondaries that do not contain questions with the word diversity. And then I kept reading...

You are not alone in this struggle. When I read question 4 my initial thought was, force schools to use simpler secondaries that do not contain questions with the word diversity. And then I kept reading...
:laugh: I'm a white girl from LA (not the traditional picture of diversity) and Keck still accepted me... I just talked about some of my experiences that not many other people had and how I'll bring a different perspective to the class.

Again, guys, you can ask Evergrey and me questions about Keck... we're here to help!

Are those first 4 questions for real? That's pretty awesome.

:laugh: I'm a white girl from LA (not the traditional picture of diversity) and Keck still accepted me... I just talked about some of my experiences that not many other people had and how I'll bring a different perspective to the class.

Again, guys, you can ask Evergrey and me questions about Keck... we're here to help!

Agreed! Diversity is more than skin color! In fact, I don't think skin color is a very good predictor of diversity in the first place. This is coming from someone who ran a cultural club, sat on diversity council meetings with school administration, and was a cultural studies major. The crux is: what about your experiences/background can other people learn from?

Is anyone else still waiting for a secondary?
I was verified 6/1.

Sam I was verified the same week and just received it today.

I just received it now and was verified 6/1, so don't worry, they're working away at it. The email contains one of those random temporary passwords, so I would guess that they're manually creating everyone's account, generating those passwords, copying them into email, etc..

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Think about how many applications they receive and have to process. I am sure the majority of applicants haven't received it.

You're right. And I just got it now so its all good anyway

Submitted on 6/1 yet still no secondary...should I email them?

The 30 credit hour thing makes me really glad I was an english minor and decided to take a lot of "for sh*ts and giggles" classes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.