2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary application

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to be the first to post in this soon to be gigantor thread, good luck y'all! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else receive the email today that utmb received the primary?

got it too. does this email mean we are complete with everything?

Dont think so. Just means they got the primary. If you sent supporting documents recently to TMDSAS they may not have it yet

Dont think so. Just means they got the primary. If you sent supporting documents recently to TMDSAS they may not have it yet

mine said it was complete and under review.

oh well what do you know so does mine. guess thats not the case then lol sorry

i dont think the email means its complete because they say to check tmdsas to see for completeness

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop by the new applicant thread for UTMB and say hi to everyone and congrats for taking this big step in becoming a doctor! :) It's a long road, but if you love it, a fantastic one and I wish you all the best.

I'm a second year med student here at UTMB and just wanted to let you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions I can for you guys about anything from MCAT to the app process to acceptance to med school itself. I don't know much yet about 3rd and 4th year clinical stuff, but I'll try! And anyway, don't fret about that stuff yet -- I'm not and I'm only a year away from it! :)

Anyway, feel free to shoot me a PM or post here and I'll get back to you as quickly as my schedule allows - we MS2s start back Monday! PM is probably faster because I get an email about it lol.

Good luck to all of y'all on behalf of everyone at UTMB! :D It's a great school (I seriously LOVE medical school!) and I hope you all get in wherever you want most! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to apply here and hoping for an interview invite! Got the "application is under" review email today!

Those of you who got an email...is your mcat scores already in? My app has been transmitted by TMDSAS but i take the mcat July 16th. I have not got an email from UTMB...just curious

Thanks

Those of you who got an email...is your mcat scores already in? My app has been transmitted by TMDSAS but i take the mcat July 16th. I have not got an email from UTMB...just curious

Thanks

yea all my stuff is in including committee letter

Should I be concerned that I haven't received an "application under review" e-mail yet? My primary app was transmitted on 6/22 but all of my supporting documents were received by TMDSAS long before that. I haven't even received an acknowledgement of receipt for my primary app at any school except El Paso :scared:

Edit: nvm, just read BMEN's post and realized they may not have had a chance to process my primary even though it was already "transmitted"

Should I be concerned that I haven't received an "application under review" e-mail yet? My primary app was transmitted on 6/22 but all of my supporting documents were received by TMDSAS long before that. I haven't even received an acknowledgement of receipt for my primary app at any school except El Paso :scared:

Edit: nvm, just read BMEN's post and realized they may not have had a chance to process my primary even though it was already "transmitted"
I talked to some friends who havent received this email yet. I think it depends on your submission date and when UTMB actually saw they got it

FYI for those curious , when i was looking through the 2010-2011 thread, it seems the earliest interview invite date was in mid to late-ish July for an August 13th date. So heads up around that time if trends follow

Last edited:
FYI for those curious , when i was looking through the 2010-2011 thread, it seems the earliest interview invite date was in mid to late-ish July for an August 13th date. So heads up around that time if trends follow

Good to know....That still feels really far away haha

Good to know....That still feels really far away haha
To put it into perspective, its possible to get interviews invites all the way towards the end of the season(December). Heres hoping that we can avoid that and go this shorter term coming up!

Thanks

My mcat is in July too and I haven't gotten the email either. No worries :thumbup:

Interview invite for 08/05/2011. Soooooooo excited! First interview invite!

Thanks. I have to say that the turnaround for UTMB was really fast. I only got the application is under review message on the 24th.

I got one too for the fifth

got one on the 5th too. was not expecting interviews for a while, so was surprised when i checked my email on my phone

FutureMD, ill be seeing you at both interviews!

Got an interview on 8/5. See you guys there

I'm just curious, for those of you who got interview invites -- when was your TMDSAS transmitted?

Submitted 23rd of May. Transmitted to Schools 27th. UTMB sent me notification of primary last week

Interview on Aug 5 - let's all make it for the social the night before ... cool the nerves before our first interviews of the season. good luck everyone!

Ill be at the social. Im flying in from San Diego at three and hauling ass to Galveston when i land. Hope to meet alot of yall there.

Man, I'd like to know the order in which they distribute interview invites.

Thanks for the replies! It looks like you all had your TMDSAS transmitted ~2-3 weeks before me so I guess it'll be a while until I find out about my chance for an interview :p

Think its random, or by order when everything is in

Hey dont get bent out of shape. Remember interview season runs through december. as far as i can tell you submitted early

Apparently there is speculation in last year's thread that UTMB staggers the quality of applicants, so getting late interviews isn't necessarily a bad sign?

ninefivethree said:
I have heard that San Antonio is open about interviewing people they like near the end of the cycle so they don't have a chance to forget the school. Hopefully they're just saving us bc they think we're so amazing!

bigtruckguy3500 said:
The pre-med advisor at my school said something along these lines - that some schools don't want you to forget about them so they save you for later in the cycle. Don't know if she was saying that just to make us feel better if we don't get an invite early on, or if it's true, but right now I'm hoping it's true.

DrHiner said:
Not only do good (read: accepted) applicants interview later in the season as well as early on, but there is a lot of merit to what someone said previously about interviewing some great students later so they consider UTMB strongly. It's called the recency effect.

Additionally, interviewing at your favorite school after interviewing other places makes you more experienced (read: more likely to rock the interview). That being said, sometimes your first interview can go really well because you're still super excited and not, shall I say, "bored" of the repetativeness of multiple, nearly identical interviews? :rolleyes:

Try to stay fresh and excited throughout the interview season... I was SO excited at UTMB, and it showed.

I interviewed there in November and was accepted. November is late in the game. Many of my classmates also interviewed in December. They got in too.

DrHiner said:
I definitely think they stagger the good applicants

I think all the Texas schools stagger. :shrug: so dont get bent out of shape. Getting an interview means you passed their initial screening. Interview is to present your communication skills, in person desire for medicine, and come off with no emotional instabilities

I think all the Texas schools stagger. :shrug: so dont get bent out of shape. Getting an interview means you passed their initial screening. Interview is to present your communication skills, in person desire for medicine, and come off with no emotional instabilities

This. Exactly this. It's super early, y'all. Don't stress yet :) I got 3 interviews in Nov/Dec when I applied. They all just came at once after causing me panic for a couple months lol.

I'm curious to know if these interviews are only for Texas residents? or both Texas residents and OOS?
:(

Dunno, but if you are out of state try you have a "better chance" to get an "earlier" interview since in Texas, OOS will get acceptance notifications starting a whole month earlier(Oct 16). However this doesn't necessarily mean all OOS interviews will be done before that deadline. Just alot of them will

Status
Not open for further replies.