2011-2012 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-Required:
Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

Required:
The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

So I applied last year as part of Medstart Program for the Class of 2016 and was accepted. My secondary prompts were the same as for those in the regular admission cycle and in years past. They are:

Using the back of this page or a separate sheet of paper, briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. You may use the back of this page or attach an additional sheet of paper.

Hope this helps.

I'm applying to the MEDStart program this year (class of 2017) and I was wondering about the policy/requirement regarding recommendation letters? Is it 3 letters from 2 science and 1 other faculty? or 1 pre-medical committee letter?

thx,
ccf

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

So I applied last year as part of Medstart Program for the Class of 2016 and was accepted. My secondary prompts were the same as for those in the regular admission cycle and in years past. They are:

Using the back of this page or a separate sheet of paper, briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. You may use the back of this page or attach an additional sheet of paper.

Hope this helps.

Are there any character/word/line limits by chance? Thanks

Are there any character/word/line limits by chance? Thanks

So the character limit when I submitted was 2000 characters, which is a little more than 300 words depending.

When do people typically received the secondary? Is toledo historically slow for sending them out? I applied 06/03 and am in state with competitive stats.

When do people typically received the secondary? Is toledo historically slow for sending them out? I applied 06/03 and am in state with competitive stats.

You can look this up on past year's thread. Although I believe UT screens for the students prior to sending the apps! Thanks

do you know what the screen is? i'd be OOS...but i've lived in toledo for a yr...not sure if they'd even ask to know that. how much is the secondary btw?

do you know what the screen is? i'd be OOS...but i've lived in toledo for a yr...not sure if they'd even ask to know that. how much is the secondary btw?

Hey, I dont know about the screen, but here is the data from MSAR:
GPA 10-90th percentile: 27-35
sGPA: 3.28-3.98 (Median: 3.75)
cGPA: 3.38-3.98 (Median: 3.77)
The price for secondary is $80
Here is the link to secondary info: http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/admissions/secondary.html
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey all! I'm going to be a first year at Toledo this year, so I'll try to check in here and answer any questions, if I can. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!

Secondary received this morning.

Last edited:
Secondary received and submitted. OOS median GPA/~90th% MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
they must not have screened (or too harshly) b/c i even got it

Word. This essay is annoying. I wish i would have prewritten it :mad:

You don't have a stock diversity essay? Anyway...even if you did, this one addresses it awkwardly. It was kind of a crapshow re-wording it.

Can someone post the prompts and character limits? Thanks!

Prompts:

Experience dealing with different cultures and how that has made you more culturally competent (paraphrasing here) - ability to care for people of different cultural backgrounds.

Limit: 2000 characters

Steve, how many schools are you applying to? You are on lots of threads! haha.

I'm applying to a fair amount, but nothing all that out of the ordinary. I think it just seems like I am applying to a lot of schools because I am so vocal on all of the threads.

Prompts:

Experience dealing with different cultures and how that has made you more culturally competent (paraphrasing here) - ability to care for people of different cultural backgrounds.

Limit: 2000 characters

Thanks for taking the time to do that, but is there any chance you or someone else could paste the exact question? I just want to cover all bases. Am guessing it is the exact same question as last year, but I just want to be on the safe side. Thanks for anyone's help.

Non-Required:
Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

Required:
The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

I'm having trouble tackling this diversity question. There is no particular life experience that I can think of where I demonstrated cultural competence; rather, I have a long laundry list of why I have become culturally competent over the years. Anyone taking that route instead?

I'm having trouble tackling this diversity question. There is no particular life experience that I can think of where I demonstrated cultural competence; rather, I have a long laundry list of why I have become culturally competent over the years. Anyone taking that route instead?

same...i'm writing about a trip to asia

is there a status update page for toledo? or do they send you an e-mail once you're complete?

I got the secondary. While I have a competitive MCAT, I was worried about being screened out due to my ****ty GPA.

For the essay, since I have a weird racial makeup and grew up in inner-city Cleveland (where we sling dope in the snow btw), I am writing about how always being in the minority has made me aware of other cultures and socioeconomic classes outside of my own. Hope they like it.

Last edited:
for MedStart, is there an advantage to applying early? It says that interviews are given out within a small time range and that acceptances are handed out at the same time, too.

I'm putting this out there in case someone does a search for it in the future. I live on the Ohio-Michigan border, and UT is the closest medical school to my house even though it is out of state. I've heard that the medical and law school might not have tuition reciprocity like the rest of the school has for Monroe County residents.

I sent an E-mail:

University of Toledo Medical School Admission Staff,

My name is **********, and I am a Monroe County resident. I am aware of the tuition reciprocity agreement that exists between residents of Monroe County and the University of Toledo. I was wondering if the same tuition reciprocity agreement also applies to the medical school at the University of Toledo.

The reply:

Hi *******,

Yes….Monroe county residents are able to pay instate tuition however, there is a form that you would need to complete.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Toledo.

Sincerely,

Sandy Hassell, Administrative Assistant
University of Toledo College of Medicine
Admissions Office
3000 Arlington Avenue, Mail Stop 1043
Toledo, OH 43614
419 383-4229

So, Yay!!!!! :soexcited:That's half the tuition that I would have to pay. UT here I come in two years. :xf:

I'm putting this out there in case someone does a search for it in the future. I live on the Ohio-Michigan border, and UT is the closest medical school to my house even though it is out of state. I've heard that the medical and law school might not have tuition reciprocity like the rest of the school has for Monroe County residents.

I sent an E-mail:

University of Toledo Medical School Admission Staff,

My name is **********, and I am a Monroe County resident. I am aware of the tuition reciprocity agreement that exists between residents of Monroe County and the University of Toledo. I was wondering if the same tuition reciprocity agreement also applies to the medical school at the University of Toledo.

The reply:

Hi *******,

Yes….Monroe county residents are able to pay instate tuition however, there is a form that you would need to complete.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Toledo.

Sincerely,

Sandy Hassell, Administrative Assistant
University of Toledo College of Medicine
Admissions Office
3000 Arlington Avenue, Mail Stop 1043
Toledo, OH 43614
419 383-4229

So, Yay!!!!! :soexcited:That's half the tuition that I would have to pay. UT here I come in two years. :xf:

That now makes sense as to why they recruit the heck out of Michigan. Scholarships given away at Tiger's games, Billboards all the way out to Pontiac. I called them though and their admissions wasn't nearly as nice as some other schools :(.

That now makes sense as to why they recruit the heck out of Michigan. Scholarships given away at Tiger's games, Billboards all the way out to Pontiac. I called them though and their admissions wasn't nearly as nice as some other schools :(.

Monroe County doesn't extend that far. It only really benefits a handful of people (the boarder people like myself who live in limbo and think nothing of crossing the state line). My husband works in Ohio if that makes anyone feel better, and I spend a good chunk of my paycheck to Ohio stores since they are closer than Michigan stores.

Hopefully you just caught them on a bad day. The were super quick e-mailing me back. To be honest, I never expected to hear back from them. They proved me wrong. Good luck! I'm assuming that you're from Oakland or will be applying to Oakland University? :luck:

Anyone able to access/view their secondary after sending it in?

Anyone able to access/view their secondary after sending it in?

According to the admissions office, you cannot view your secondary after submitting it. You'll just get a complete email once everything is processed.

Monroe County doesn't extend that far. It only really benefits a handful of people (the boarder people like myself who live in limbo and think nothing of crossing the state line). My husband works in Ohio if that makes anyone feel better, and I spend a good chunk of my paycheck to Ohio stores since they are closer than Michigan stores.

Hopefully you just caught them on a bad day. The were super quick e-mailing me back. To be honest, I never expected to hear back from them. They proved me wrong. Good luck! I'm assuming that you're from Oakland or will be applying to Oakland University? :luck:

I know where Monroe is, but I had no idea about the whole in-state tuition from Toledo, that's a pretty nice gimmick. The majority of my classes have been taken at Oakland University and I am applying there. Good luck to you as well

I submitted the secondary a while ago and I'm still not complete... At least 2 weeks I think.

I know where Monroe is, but I had no idea about the whole in-state tuition from Toledo, that's a pretty nice gimmick. The majority of my classes have been taken at Oakland University and I am applying there. Good luck to you as well

I only live like 10 minutes from Monroe County lol...edge of Washtenaw County. Oh well.

I never received an email. I submitted weeks ago as well. However, I do see this on their "Web Application Summary" page (where we did the secondary):

"This is a summary of the Web application that was selected. This Web application is complete but has not yet been processed."

I think I might call them.

I received this on July 12th. In state as well.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]This is to notify you that your application for admissions to the University of Toledo College of Medicine is now complete. This means that we have received all requested information. Your application will be reviewed for an interview decision and we will notify you as soon as a decision is made. Interviews are by invitation only. Thank you for your interest in the University of Toledo College of Medicine..
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sincerely,.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] .
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] .
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sandy Hassell, Administrative Assistant.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]University of Toledo College of Medicine.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Admissions Office.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]3000 Arlington Avenue, Mail Stop 1043.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Toledo, OH 43614.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]419 383-4229.

Congrats, Oho6400! If you dont mind telling, when was your application complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.