2011-2012 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? Limit 250 words.

How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting ten years from now? Limit 250 words.

What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you overcome them? Limit 250 words.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of stater here (midwest), visited two years ago and I loved the campus! Great program, great city. Will apply if my MCAT scores come back high enough. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I just joined, and isn't the prompt for the secondary just posted here: http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...ages/ApplicationProcedureandRequirements.aspx

and if you're not in the mood for that, here is what I think it is copy and pasted:

The following are required in the Secondary Application:
An autobiographical statement which should include:
the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
your prior experiences in health care
steps taken to explore a career in medicine
your eventual goals as a physician
and other issues of importance.
The Personnel Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your secondary materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

A short essay
In a concise statement (not to exceed 250 words) explain how your experiences have prepared you to be a physician.

For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?

Are these subject to change? Can I use information like this from other university websites to get a head start on my secondaries?

Hi, I just joined, and isn't the prompt for the secondary just posted here: http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...ages/ApplicationProcedureandRequirements.aspx

I'm not sure if that web page is accurate. The slides from the focus group that was held a week or two ago ( http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...group2-2011-Demonstrating-your-Motivation.pdf ) lists these:
- How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting 10 years from now?
- What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and
how have you dealt with them?

I think these might be the prompts for the secondary. I'm pretty sure the obstacles one was on last years secondary. Guess we won't know for sure until secondaries start going out

Ah, UWash. Why do you only love people from the Northwest?

Because we only get one school for 5 states :)

But there aren't any people in Idaho or Montana. Just a lot of empty space, potatoes, and Grizzly bears (Montana has grizzlies, right?).

Oh well, it's a great school. Y'all northwesters are lucky.

I am pretty excited!!! This is my second time reapplying. I took a year off just to improve my apps! When do interview starts?

But there aren't any people in Idaho or Montana. Just a lot of empty space, potatoes, and Grizzly bears (Montana has grizzlies, right?).
:laugh:

A first choice for an out-of-stater as well. I doubt they would want a Floridian with 7 schools in her home state, but you never know.

Here's to a cycle of possibilities (just realized there are no emoticons clinking glasses+pity+)
Message to God: Please :help:

I think I am just making up reasons to use these emoticons. Signing off. Will come back when done with secondary.

Yes, I am only one of a handful of people from Idaho. Can't wait for the secondary.

Love UW, and they say that OOR applicants will be considered if disadvantaged....so we will see! :). At least they will screen me out if uninterested.

Members don't see this ad :)
GO WWAMI! I'm pretty excited for the satellite experiences!

Then again, staying in Seattle might not be so bad...hehe. I wonder if they'll ever do the urban TRUST...hm.

I applied to MSTP here and they said that while I would be considered for MD-only, it was more likely that I would receieve a rejection because I didn't meet the OOS standards.

Does anyone know the cut-offs for OOS?

I applied to MSTP here and they said that while I would be considered for MD-only, it was more likely that I would receieve a rejection because I didn't meet the OOS standards.

Does anyone know the cut-offs for OOS?

it's not number based. just geographic cutoffs :laugh:

Idaho resident. Way excited to apply here!
K

From the great state of Idaho as well. Looks like we are going to be competing for what, 20 seats? Should be interesting...personally I think that our state should increase taxes by a marginal amount to bring that 20 to a 30, but that's life.

Currently polishing up my AMCAS and taking the MCAT in 3 days...while taking summer classes and working in a research group. Yum :p

I hope everyone in the cycle has an eventful and productive summer and eventually finds that holy grail, aka an interview invite ;)

Also an Idaho resident. I really can't wait for this secondary, but I guess I will have to....just a bit longer anyway.

is the preliminary application for MSTP applicants the secondary? i'm guessing no? it's already quite beefy for a "preliminary" application... :laugh:

Washington resident applying this cycle, LOVE this school! Good luck to everyone applying!

Has anyone received the secondary yet?

secondary received about 30 minutes ago!

is the preliminary application for MSTP applicants the secondary? i'm guessing no? it's already quite beefy for a "preliminary" application... :laugh:

It sounded like they use it to screen so at least we wont have to pay if they're not interested.

For the research descriptions is it poor form to just copy from my AMCAS? I tried to describe it in like half a page but dont know how long they want it.

already rejected : ( illinois resident here. thought I was decently qualified - 36S MCAT, 3.95 Biochem U of Michigan. damn.

Just got the rejection letter, OOS from Arizona. GPA:3.9, MCAT: 35, they mean business.

Just got the rejection letter, OOS from Arizona. GPA:3.9, MCAT: 35, they mean business.

already rejected : ( illinois resident here. thought I was decently qualified - 36S MCAT, 3.95 Biochem U of Michigan. damn.

MSTP applicant here, also got the rejection for MD-only as they promised in an earlier email! :laugh:

I'm sure you two are fantastically qualified (with great stats clearly!) you know its just that you are out of the WAMI region

I got an initial contact email from them today. Did anybody else get this?

Wow! I thought I would give it a shot OOS with a 4.0 GPA and a 39 MCAT. No such luck. Literally nobody gets in OOS to the MD only program, I guess.

Got my secondary a few hours ago!!! Idaho applicant.

Thank you for the data. A couple questions: Did you make this graph yourself? And if so, where did they post this waitlist information? Just for future reference...

You're welcome. The data from the past years was compiled by member "TacTown" which he got off of the previous year's threads. The initial spreadsheet was started by "Bork Bork Bork" I then took over the spreadsheet when he was accepted off the waitlist. Once we were put on the waitlist we could check the WL status in the UWSOM portal when we logged in.

If someone wants to PM me their email I will add them to the spreadsheet so that they can make a graph when this years waitlist starts.

Anyone know if we need to complete the Washington State residency questionnaire before our secondary can be considered complete?

You can wait for them to ask you to complete it or if you suspect they are likely to have questions, you can submit it right away. If you attended undergrad OOS or show other ties to other states, you might want to go ahead and get the form done ASAP

Anyone know if we need to complete the Washington State residency questionnaire before our secondary can be considered complete?

Yes, you need to fill out all sections before your application is considered complete. After you submit the residency questionnaire, you may be asked to verify your residency (happened to me, and I think happens to anyone who went to school out of state), which will require you to send information/supporting documents to the residency office. Once every section is marked as "received" you will get a message on your secondary page that says something to the effect of: (unless the format has changed from last year?)

"You have finished this phase of your application. Please check the status page regularly to see what letters have been downloaded from AMCAS..."

Only after you complete everything and they look it over it do you get an email stating you are complete, and it will be reviewed for a possible interview invite. If I remember correctly, this email isn't instant, so it may take a bit after submitting everything for you to get it.

Good luck to everyone applying! I will be starting my first year here in the fall and am happy to answer any questions about the application process as best I can :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much they actually screen the secondardy? Trying to figure out how excited I should be :p

Does anyone know how much they actually screen the secondardy? Trying to figure out how excited I should be :p

In-state not much of a screen. But you can still be proud when you read posts above that you get a shot at this great school (i.e. OOS rejections with 3.9+ 38+ MCAT).

Can someone who just got secondaries repost the prompts, especially from WWAMI applicants?

In-state not much of a screen. But you can still be proud when you read posts above that you get a shot at this great school (i.e. OOS rejections with 3.9+ 38+ MCAT).

My cousin (from CA) got accepted to MD/PhD with a 3.9 GPA and 31Q MCAT from JHU last year. He did publish on CELL, though..... so OOS people don't give up hope!!

Can someone who just got secondaries repost the prompts, especially from WWAMI applicants?

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work

How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting ten years from now? Limit 250 words.

What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you overcome them? Limit 250 words.

Wow, so contrary to many schools they care to know more than just "what is your credit card number?" :laugh:

I wish I had a shot here, I really respect this school.

Wow, so contrary to many schools they care to know more than just "what is your credit card number?" :laugh:

I wish I had a shot here, I really respect this school.

Funny you should mention it because they don't care about your credit card number at all, as they only take check and money order ($35). Gotta love UW.

thanks! oos here and still waiting for the screening process. i visited seattle for the first time this past winter and fell in love. good luck everyone!

The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular MD only program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine.

ragecomicsitsneverenougnl.jpg

Last edited:
The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular MD only program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine.

39S/3.86 also rejected OOS. Fingers crossed for the MSTP though.

would you mind sharing when you got your primary app verified?
June 1 and rejection from UW SOMAS July 7. The MSAR says they interviewed about 2% of OOS last year - unknown what the OOS secondary rate is though. Too bad, since I am a PNW native, and there are only 2 med schools in the beautiful PNW.

Status
Not open for further replies.