Hypothetically, does there ever come a time when it all just wasn't worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdan83

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine.

If all goes well, I should graduate in 2013 and then I might have to do a masters program for another year and then I will apply in 2014.

I'm 28 and sadly still an undergrad due to some unforseen circumstances. I'm tough and I can take it though.

I wanted to know if you will ever reach a point where the journey just seems to require too much and the years that you lost pursuing your dream can never be made up for with the happiness and satisfaction that a career in medicine will bring you.

For example, I'm the only one out of my friends and my former classmates who is not married or has plans of getting married in the near future. I keep telling myself that life will get better in a few years once I have my degree and I know where I'm going but I have this fear that one day, I will be 37 with this medical degree but I'll be too old to get married and I'll have no kids and I'll live alone and be just as miserable as I am today.

Do you ever get weird thoughts like that whenever you try to focus?

Members don't see this ad.

You wont' be too old and there's no reason why you can't start a relationship while in school.

Well, I knew one person that left after her first of medical school, citing something about wanting to raise a family, etc. Honestly, she had her reservations about medicine before she even matriculated.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I do not get weird thoughts like that when I try to focus.

I run into a lot of 4th year medical students and residents in my day-to-day activities, including nontrads, and it seems like somebody is always getting married or having a baby. Sometimes with other people in the medical field, often not. I'm not sure why being 37 is too old to get married or even have children, either. It certainly isn't stopping anybody else at the prenatal care seminars!

I think there are two reasons why our thoughts on the present and future are different.

One, I see the journey as part of the reward. I don't see how my pre-med years can be considered "lost years". Every day in these basic science classes I learn something new about how the world works. How amazing is that? When I go to medical school I'm going to go from reading the owner's manual of the human body to reading the shop manual for the human body. Wow! Later on, I can (with supervision) start fixing stuff and giving advice. I can't wait!

Two, there is a recurring theme of sadness and misery in your post, and I'm not convinced that being on or off the long path of medicine has anything to do with it. If there is a possibility that it's clinical depression, you ought to see a doctor. But if you have somehow convinced yourself that life is on pause while you pursue your medical education, I think that's the wrong attitude to take. Life is now. Make what you will of it. And let's face it, your medical education will never end.

Reactions: 1 user
Asking a question like this is no different than asking if getting married is worth it, or having kids is worth it, or if any other major life decision you may face is worth it. In any difficult endeavor--and medical training *is* a difficult endeavor--there will be up times and down times. I thought about quitting medical school at least once a month, every month, for the entire four years. Once a month *minimum.* On my OB/gyn rotation, it was once a *day* minimum. Likewise for quitting grad school. (I actually did quit grad school once, which is why I have a separate MS and PhD.)

On the other hand, some of the most incredible--the most spiritual even--moments of my life happened in medical school. The first time I scrubbed in for surgery and was holding a patient's peristalsing bowels in my hands, watching the arteries pulsing in unison, made me forget that twenty minutes prior the scrub nurse was snapping at me for no reason. (How many people get to hold a living organ and watch it function?) The time I told my preceptor what diagnosis I thought the patient had, and he blew me off, and then the CT came back and it turned out I was right. (Who knew that I could actually reason something out and be the one to come to the correct conclusion?) The time my cantankerous surgery attending took off an entire morning to go sit in the SICU with the family of a patient who wasn't doing well, and they decided together to take the patient off life support. (Who ever thinks of a surgeon being an amazing role model?)

I could go on, but you get the idea: The highs are high, and the lows are low. Blah blah blah. But there is one more thing, which is that if you are miserable today, you aren't magically going to become not miserable once you finish your training in a few years, nor at age 37, 47, 57. The problems you have will follow you wherever you go, including into medical school. If you're miserable because you're single, going to medical school won't solve the problem of you being single (and in fact, it might make things worse since you'll be so busy and have so little disposable income). If you feel like you have no direction, no goal to work towards that really matters to you, going to medical school won't suddenly create purpose and meaning in your life. And if you think that your opportunity for personal happiness will be over at age 37, well, going to medical school probably isn't the best use of the precious decade of potential happiness you have left before you're "too old" to ever be happy.

For the record, being age 36, I find the whole idea of being too old to get married at age 37 laughable. There's no set age by which people have to get married or else it can never, ever happen. To put this into perspective, why is it ok with you to be a nontrad in terms of your career, but it's not ok to be a nontrad in terms of your personal life? We talk all the time in this forum about how being a nontrad gives us a better ability to cope with the obstacles we face in med school because we've already faced difficult obstacles in life. Why wouldn't the same argument apply to going into a marriage later in life?

Reactions: 1 users
No, I do not get weird thoughts like that when I try to focus.

I run into a lot of 4th year medical students and residents in my day-to-day activities, including nontrads, and it seems like somebody is always getting married or having a baby. Sometimes with other people in the medical field, often not. I'm not sure why being 37 is too old to get married or even have children, either. It certainly isn't stopping anybody else at the prenatal care seminars!

I think there are two reasons why our thoughts on the present and future are different.

One, I see the journey as part of the reward. I don't see how my pre-med years can be considered "lost years". Every day in these basic science classes I learn something new about how the world works. How amazing is that? When I go to medical school I'm going to go from reading the owner's manual of the human body to reading the shop manual for the human body. Wow! Later on, I can (with supervision) start fixing stuff and giving advice. I can't wait!

Two, there is a recurring theme of sadness and misery in your post, and I'm not convinced that being on or off the long path of medicine has anything to do with it. If there is a possibility that it's clinical depression, you ought to see a doctor. But if you have somehow convinced yourself that life is on pause while you pursue your medical education, I think that's the wrong attitude to take. Life is now. Make what you will of it. And let's face it, your medical education will never end.

The point about the journey being part of the reward is huge. If you don't enjoy everything about the process including the shear intensity of it then the dissillusionment is far more likely.

I'm excited to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine.

If all goes well, I should graduate in 2013 and then I might have to do a masters program for another year and then I will apply in 2014.

I'm 28 and sadly still an undergrad due to some unforseen circumstances. I'm tough and I can take it though.

I wanted to know if you will ever reach a point where the journey just seems to require too much and the years that you lost pursuing your dream can never be made up for with the happiness and satisfaction that a career in medicine will bring you.

For example, I'm the only one out of my friends and my former classmates who is not married or has plans of getting married in the near future. I keep telling myself that life will get better in a few years once I have my degree and I know where I'm going but I have this fear that one day, I will be 37 with this medical degree but I'll be too old to get married and I'll have no kids and I'll live alone and be just as miserable as I am today.

Do you ever get weird thoughts like that whenever you try to focus?

I'm not sure if you are worried because you don't have a serious relationship that might lead to marriage, or that you are putting off marriage and family in a current relationship because of school. Our comments might be different in each case.

i agree with the comments regarding the journey being the reward itself. from the day I step into med school I will be "doing medicine" one way or another. as the months and years go by, I will learn more and be able to do more, and get more satisfaction out of it. but I will try to enjoy it every step of the way.

and that's how one should approach life in general. enjoy every day. don't wait to enjoy life until you've 'gotten somewhere'. where ever you go, there you are, so enjoy yourself.

My cousin got married at 42 and his wife had their first child when he was 44, and she is 38... the child is perfect... age is relative...

Asking a question like this is no different than asking if getting married is worth it, or having kids is worth it, or if any other major life decision you may face is worth it. In any difficult endeavor--and medical training *is* a difficult endeavor--there will be up times and down times. I thought about quitting medical school at least once a month, every month, for the entire four years. Once a month *minimum.* On my OB/gyn rotation, it was once a *day* minimum. Likewise for quitting grad school. (I actually did quit grad school once, which is why I have a separate MS and PhD.)

On the other hand, some of the most incredible--the most spiritual even--moments of my life happened in medical school. The first time I scrubbed in for surgery and was holding a patient's peristalsing bowels in my hands, watching the arteries pulsing in unison, made me forget that twenty minutes prior the scrub nurse was snapping at me for no reason. (How many people get to hold a living organ and watch it function?) The time I told my preceptor what diagnosis I thought the patient had, and he blew me off, and then the CT came back and it turned out I was right. (Who knew that I could actually reason something out and be the one to come to the correct conclusion?) The time my cantankerous surgery attending took off an entire morning to go sit in the SICU with the family of a patient who wasn't doing well, and they decided together to take the patient off life support. (Who ever thinks of a surgeon being an amazing role model?)

I could go on, but you get the idea: The highs are high, and the lows are low. Blah blah blah. But there is one more thing, which is that if you are miserable today, you aren't magically going to become not miserable once you finish your training in a few years, nor at age 37, 47, 57. The problems you have will follow you wherever you go, including into medical school. If you're miserable because you're single, going to medical school won't solve the problem of you being single (and in fact, it might make things worse since you'll be so busy and have so little disposable income). If you feel like you have no direction, no goal to work towards that really matters to you, going to medical school won't suddenly create purpose and meaning in your life. And if you think that your opportunity for personal happiness will be over at age 37, well, going to medical school probably isn't the best use of the precious decade of potential happiness you have left before you're "too old" to ever be happy.

For the record, being age 36, I find the whole idea of being too old to get married at age 37 laughable. There's no set age by which people have to get married or else it can never, ever happen. To put this into perspective, why is it ok with you to be a nontrad in terms of your career, but it's not ok to be a nontrad in terms of your personal life? We talk all the time in this forum about how being a nontrad gives us a better ability to cope with the obstacles we face in med school because we've already faced difficult obstacles in life. Why wouldn't the same argument apply to going into a marriage later in life?

This has to be one of the best posts I've ever read on SDN.

But QofQ -- that you considered quitting at a minimum of once a month absolutely blows my mind. What factors brought this about and how did you deal with it? On some level, did you know these factors might have been a problem before starting medical school -- but downplayed them anyway?

I say it blows my mind because for whatever reason I consider you the **ideal** premed/med student -- at least from your SDN profile anyway (non trad with life experience, MCAT off the charts, etc etc).

(I actually did quit grad school once, which is why I have a separate MS and PhD.)

Wait, so you started *over* again? Re-taking grad courses and all? :eek:

And considering this year it seems like everyone in my outside-of-academia social circle (mid-30s) is getting a divorce and one classmate who was so quick to walk down the aisle she got married after dating her soon-to-be ex-husband for a year, I'm really in noooo hurry to put a ring on it.

Admittedly before I made the plunge to go this route I thought long and hard about which worst case scenario I would regret most and in the end, it was giving up medicine. If I did, I could see myself turning into Tiger Mom or something, pushing my regrets onto my children.

I don't fully agree that you need to enjoy the entire journey to medicine. I actually think it's gonna be really rough. Being pessimistic might be some preemptive coping mechanism so that I'm not let down when things really do get tough but I definitely don't think I'm going to enjoy too much about the med student/resident lifestyles at all but the learning, and hopefully a few of the people I meet, will carry me through it.

I also don't expect to have more "me" time (or personal life time) than I do now working a full time job, so it's best that I don't give the OP my honest prediction about meeting someone or getting married while in med school :hungover:.

I don't know if I'll get to a point where I'm wishing I could just quit it all (like consider the option seriously) but I'm a workaholic with a high tolerance for misery so....

Completely forgot what I was trying to address so I'll stop now :).

This has to be one of the best posts I've ever read on SDN.

But QofQ -- that you considered quitting at a minimum of once a month absolutely blows my mind. What factors brought this about and how did you deal with it? On some level, did you know these factors might have been a problem before starting medical school -- but downplayed them anyway?

I say it blows my mind because for whatever reason I consider you the **ideal** premed/med student -- at least from your SDN profile anyway (non trad with life experience, MCAT off the charts, etc etc).
The factors that brought it about differed depending on where I was in the process. First year, I felt very frustrated about how intellectually stifling med school was compared to grad school. It's a lot more memorization, and you have to do a lot of things without really understanding why you're doing them. Every time someone told me, "just do it, and you'll understand why later," I wanted to throttle them on the spot. Also, it was hard at the beginning to go from being competent and knowledgeable about chemistry to being an idiot freshman who didn't know anything. I don't think I realized ahead of time how difficult the loss of my former identity would be. For a while, I would say that I used to be a chemist, until one day someone pointed out that I still *was* a chemist, and it's not like my previous experience went away once I started medical school. That helped me see it differently, and eventually being in medical school felt less alien than it did at first.

Second year is very stressful for most people because the curriculum pace picks up quite a bit from first year, and also because you have Step 1 looming over you. In my case, I was working on an outside project that took up a lot of my free time. It was supposed to be done in November, and I finally finished it at the beginning of May, six months behind schedule. I then began studying for Step 1, which meant going from one high-pressure situation to another. Also, I was taking classes for my MS. So all in all, it was a very challenging year.

Third year was the hardest year for me, with the biggest highs and lows. I liked seeing patients, and I liked learning about their diseases, but I didn't like any of the specialties I was rotating through enough to want to do them for 30 or 40 years as a career. There were some specialties like surgery that I wound up liking more than I expected to, but I realized I couldn't physically do surgery because I have back problems, and it hurts to stand for hours in one place like that. I came into med school wanting to do anesthesiology, but realized that although I could see myself being an anesthesia resident, I didn't think the job of an academic attending was what I was looking for. As the year went on, I started feeling more discouraged about finding a specialty that I wanted to do. My last rotation was OB/gyn, and it was the worst one of all. Not a positive note to end the year on.

My fourth year was a lot smoother, although doing away rotations and then going through the residency app process was still stressful. It's not too dissimilar to going through the med school app process, except you don't have to do secondaries, and you don't get multiple acceptances. (Instead, you go through the match, which if you're interested, you can learn about by googling "residency match".) But what helped was that I had finally found a subspecialty that I really wanted to do. Once I figured that out, I felt a lot better about my decision to go to medical school. Though I still anguished quite a bit about where I wanted to do my residency--I *think* I chose the right program. :hungover:

I'm not sure how much of this I could have known ahead of time. To paraphrase one of my profs, it's easy to see what you should have done differently when you use the retrospectroscope. But while you're in the middle of the process trying to muddle your way through, it isn't always very easy to know which way to go. I don't think you can totally know ahead of time if med school is right for you until you go to med school and experience it. The shadowing you do before med school is still useful, because it makes you think about these things, and some people realize even at that point that medicine is probably not for them. But the leap of faith required can be scary, and it's normal to doubt your decision sometimes. If anyone tells you they never had a second of doubt, I call BS. They may not ever talk about their doubts, but they still have them.

n3xa said:
Wait, so you started *over* again? Re-taking grad courses and all?
No, fortunately I didn't have to retake the courses. But I did have to start over completely from scratch with my research, because I wasn't even at the same school any more. The good thing though is that I was already well-trained in the techniques. So I guess it's most accurate to say that I began from around the point of passing quals. (They did make me retake my quals, which I did right after I got there.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Q are you revealing your specialty of choice or is that still a secret. This post is awesome, but it would be even better if we knew what specialty you chose after all that. I do understand if your not ready to divulge that yet though.

Q, that was a HUGELY insightful post -- thank you so much for writing it. And it's great to hear you've found a specialty that you're eager to pursue.

Best of luck with you're intern year -- I'm guessing this may be the portion of your training that will most likely hearken back to those low points in med school, but at least you know why you're doing it now!

But the leap of faith required can be scary, and it's normal to doubt your decision sometimes. If anyone tells you they never had a second of doubt, I call BS. They may not ever talk about their doubts, but they still have them.

I have to say -- this is my biggest source of anxiety about this path -- wanting to know what I really won't be able to know until I'm in the thick of medical school. And I definitely still have occasional doubts. It's good to hear that this isn't the exception to the rule, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say -- this is my biggest source of anxiety about this path -- wanting to know what I really won't be able to know until I'm in the thick of medical school. And I definitely still have occasional doubts. It's good to hear that this isn't the exception to the rule, though.
I wish I could tell you that you'll never be uncomfortable or unsure, but all I can tell you is the exact opposite. The good news though is that the vast majority of American medical school matriculants do make it through to graduation, and the vast majority of American medical grads do make it through residency. :)

One thing that really helped me that I didn't mention before is that you should seek out mentors who can talk through these issues with you. I was very fortunate to have that kind of relationship with my student dean in particular, as well as other attendings along the way (and including my dad, who is a retired DO). What I should have done more of though was share these kinds of insights with some of my classmates when they told me about *their* fears and doubts. I realized how one-way the information flow was when I mentioned something offhand to a classmate, and they reacted to the idea that I had this issue the exact same way that you did.

I think in general that it would be good for physicians to discuss their own difficulties and coping strategies during training more with their trainees. I'm talking about attendings reassuring trainees that what they're going through is normal, and using their own experiences to illustrate this. I was absolutely shocked as a second year when my dad told me about the time that *he* almost dropped out of med school as a second year. The man practiced successfully as a GP for 40 years, and I had never known how close he came to not even starting his clinical rotations!

Thanks for the replies. I guess part of the frustration is that medical school admissions is not guaranteed. I'm hoping that I will be accepted in three years but it might take longer than that if my stats don't get me in on the first try.

I just see everybody getting married at my age and I have this feeling that I'm going to be the only single guy at 37 and I won't be able to get a woman. I just feel like all girls get married before 30.

The journey doesn't exactly bother me. I like it and I have decided that medicine is my calling in life. It's just that I always have this fear that the long journey for non-trads costs more than it does for traditional students. What I mean is that I have this fear of getting old and that these are my best years. I have a fear that I will become boring after 40 and that if I do get into medicine, medicine will obviously take most, if not all, of my time.

I don't want to be 50 and wish my youth was more exciting. I think that if I decide to make my life more "fulfilling" now, medicine will not happen because it just requires so much.

Also, it was hard at the beginning to go from being competent and knowledgeable about chemistry to being an idiot freshman who didn't know anything. I don't think I realized ahead of time how difficult the loss of my former identity would be. For a while, I would say that I used to be a chemist, until one day someone pointed out that I still *was* a chemist, and it's not like my previous experience went away once I started medical school. That helped me see it differently, and eventually being in medical school felt less alien than it did at first.

Q, thank you for your post. I just wanted to call this section out in particular, as it resonated with me. I don't see my switch to medicine as being a big change, if at all, but I do see bits and pieces of my former job and, to an extent, my identity, slipping away. Now that the first day of school is drawing near, I feel it all leaving in earnest. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still trying to hold on.

I just feel like all girls get married before 30.

That's true. After 30 they still get married, but then they are women. And much preferred!

Your pursuit of medicine and your pursuit of women are not as correlated (+ or -) as you make them out to be. If you are having difficulty in one of these pursuits now, you'd best work on it now, while you continue to progress on the other. One thing I do know, blaming one of these pursuits for failure in the other is a sure step to misery and regret.

Wait, so you (Q) started *over* again.

Just think if Q got an MPH to boot. She would become the master of the master doctor doctor's.

OP life is now and always will be if your not generally happy with life then something needs to change. There is no hold on this journey. I chose this path for my own reasons but it's a part of my life. Q said it all so I can't add much more. Good luck.

Last edited:
Q, thank you for your post. I just wanted to call this section out in particular, as it resonated with me. I don't see my switch to medicine as being a big change, if at all, but I do see bits and pieces of my former job and, to an extent, my identity, slipping away. Now that the first day of school is drawing near, I feel it all leaving in earnest. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still trying to hold on.
I think everyone has this transition jet-lag to some extent, including trads. For nontrads, the difficulty is that you're not just developing your adult identity; you're taking on a new adult identity on top of the one(s) that you already have.

I think everyone has this transition jet-lag to some extent, including trads. For nontrads, the difficulty is that you're not just developing your adult identity; you're taking on a new adult identity on top of the one(s) that you already have.

I really hope this to be the case, Q! I'm having this shifting of self-identity as well and I haven't begun school yet :lame:. Maybe I'm just gonna really miss being the master of my domain :(.

This topic reminds me of an interview day where I actually had a board member pause the interview just so he could advise me not to lose the identity I've developed (as a non-trad with a career) because many non-trads apparently "regress" (as he put it) once they're in med school surrounded by much younger students.

I should clarify that I don't believe he was talking about maturity per se; There really is just a valuable amount of self actualization that happened for me, and many other non-trads I know, after working and spending time outside of a classroom. I'm sure it's possible to lose some of that.

I want to say that the non-traditional board has given such wonderful advice and this is the reason I come back to the board. Thank you to everyone here! I like that the posts generally come with a little more maturity.

Good luck to everyone on this board. Coming to this forum lifts my spirits as I'm the only person in my circle chasing this dream. It will become a reality. My advice about medicine. Don't settle, never let anyone keep you down, and don't take no for an answer.

I want to say that the non-traditional board has given such wonderful advice and this is the reason I come back to the board. Thank you to everyone here! I like that the posts generally come with a little more maturity.

Good luck to everyone on this board. Coming to this forum lifts my spirits as I'm the only person in my circle chasing this dream. It will become a reality. My advice about medicine. Don't settle, never let anyone keep you down, and don't take no for an answer.

:thumbup:

This topic reminds me of an interview day where I actually had a board member pause the interview just so he could advise me not to lose the identity I've developed (as a non-trad with a career) because many non-trads apparently "regress" (as he put it) once they're in med school surrounded by much younger students.

Maybe that's why I'm spending so much time in pre-allo.

I really hope this to be the case, Q! I'm having this shifting of self-identity as well and I haven't begun school yet :lame:. Maybe I'm just gonna really miss being the master of my domain :(.

I should clarify that I don't believe he was talking about maturity per se; There really is just a valuable amount of self actualization that happened for me, and many other non-trads I know, after working and spending time outside of a classroom. I'm sure it's possible to lose some of that.

Yeah. I dug it too. The love punch Q threw hit me in the gut. And this is coming from me now. Like an echo. Down a quiet street.

Sounds like this in my head:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rUNWrseFBo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I used to get up at 5 am in drink a 5-egg glass of "**** those mf'ers!" And often some of the mf'ers were all the thankless prick physicians i spent my energy scuttling about for. For my working wage. Just so I could get to the work of being a premed.

Maybe some "**** You!" did some good back then. But what does it mean for me now. Trying to be something I had spent too long resenting.

I mean. A salmon doesn't stop and think. Man, seriously?, all this swimming upstream, for what?, just to lay some eggs?....psst. I'm just gonna chill in this little eddy over here and smoke some...(bear snack!)

Seeing some of my classmates getting knocked down, woke me up, to the fight I was in. The total metamorphosis of yourself into the constant preparation for the awesome responsibility of being a physician.

Make no mistake. A hit has been ordered on whatever else you might have concieved of yourself. It is what it is. It makes no concession to your taste for other women. It's claws are planted in you. You'll be sneaking around trying to cop a hit of all your natural curisoities for the rest of your life.

And I'm cool with that. You learn to take a long drag of suck and blow rings of it at the ceiling.

I'm curious what your interviewer meant by "regression." ?. Interesting.

Goodbye Old B. You don't belong here.

Whatever is good at this ****. That's what I'm to be now.

drdan83, I am the tandem in your same boat, buddy.

I am also 28. I graduated in 2004 with a BA in journalism, knowing deep down that I wanted to be a doctor. I didn't think I had what it took back then, and maybe that was true.

Then, when I was 25, I thought I was already too old to try. Then I was 26, then 27 and still had this desire to be a physician. It was going away just because I was getting older.

I'm 28 now. I still want to be a doctor and just started school to take the remaining 6 classes I need before I can sit for the MCAT. Six classes. That's it. That is all that stands between me and the life I want to pursue. I can't think of how old I am. Because if I don't do this now, I'll still want to for the rest of my life. Then I will really get to a point when I'm too old and wish I'd done something when I was 28.

I have made some compromises in my thinking. Maybe cardiothoracic surgery isn't in the cards. I don't now if being a surgical resident is the best person to get married and pregnant. I know many can do it, but I don't think that's me. As much as I'd love to, I do want a family pretty soon here...so I go to another possibility on my list, like rural medicine, or internal medicine. I can't let my age or dreams of a family cloud that when I don't even have a boyfriend, hahaha.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged. Love will come when it comes and so will a family. Those are things you can't really control. Your career, on the other hand, is completely at your mercy.

... I don't think you can totally know ahead of time if med school is right for you until you go to med school and experience it.

Or how your life will turn out for the that matter regardless of the path you choose. Everyone at some level wishes they could take a peek at all possible paths in life to the end and have the ability to choose the one that ends best and that is why most of us ask questions on this forum; we try to see and to divine our future in the lives of those that have already been through the process. But unfortunately we can't know 100% because our circumstances are all different. Granted, the decisions you make now go a long way in influencing how life treats you down the road, but there are a lot of other variables that you have no control over that get thrown in mix.

Rather than try to read the future, look to the past for lessons on your future life. If you have generally made good decisions which have turned out well then you will generally continue along that path and trust yourself to make the right decisions. If you have made poor decisions in the past then hopefully upon realizing it you have improved you decisions making process for the better... perhaps that is why you are here asking questions. And if you generally go through protracted angst in making decisions then that will not change and you have to find a way to live with it.

For example I was watching Barca play ManU on Saturday and when Barca scored I throw my hands in the air and rolled on the floor and my 18 month old daughter was re-enacting what I was doing. I thought then whether its worth it to bury my face in books or have more times like this with my family. And I know there are things like this that will happen where I will seem to be going back and forth till I cross the line but I am comfortable with such ambiguity, but once I cross the line I will be 100% committed. That's from past experience of how I have done things.

To paraphrase one of my profs, it's easy to see what you should have done differently when you use the retrospectroscope.

Sounds like a useful tool. I've been practicing saying it correctly for the next time I have to explain why I'm not doing my postbac in a state with a warm climate and lots of medical schools.

Q has great advice.

Medical training is like having kids, i think. You have all these ideas of what it will be like, and no real understanding of what lies ahead or how well you will cope with it. I certainly did not have a clue.

The average male doesn't hit sexual peak until around 35 years of age... just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

37 is not too late to find love man. Just follow your heart, but im an advocate of NOT seeking advice from total strangers with questions/concerns such as these (ie. These forums).. immerse yourself in the field. Shadow like crazy, speak to pre med advisors, try to find med students, residents, etc who may be in the same boat as you and make the decision whether or not this is what you want. Only you can decide your own destiny. (That's what I believe anyway.)