Likes and Dislikes of other specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading several of the threads in this particular forum, I've noticed that many of you justify your decision to pursue a residency in pathology by describing what you liked and disliked about the other specialties (rad, surgery, gp, peds, uro, etc.). I know quite a few of the more commonly mentioned likes and dislikes of the other residencies/specialties, but I'd like to know more about their lesser known qualities. For instance, I've heard many, many people turn down radiology because they "don't want to sit in a dark room all day" but I've only once heard "I don't like the intervention stuff involved". To me, that's something new, and it's important to know about the little things. I'm currently only an M2 leaning toward path, but anything interesting (good or bad) you can mention would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do rads b/c it was too competitive, you have to do a transitional year and I didn't like the IR stuff. I chose path because I liked it quite a bit, I didn't have to do an transitional year and it was less competitive. Other reasons I chose path include good lifestyle, no more h and p's, discharge summaries, rounding or nursing home patients at 3 in the morning and the problem solving aspect. Some people I know didn't chose path b/c they didn't want to sit behind a microscope all day or do autopsies and they wanted to take care of patients directly.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I liked most specialties with notable exceptions being neurology and ob/gyn. I envisioned myself as both a surgeon and a family doctor, for significant periods of time. I even spent my post-sophomore fellowship preparing for my life as a future surgeon. I still did not consider pathology very seriously by the beginning of my third year after finishing the PSF. I loved clinical medicine. My last official rotation in my fourth year was inpatient consult cardiology just for kicks...and I really liked that.

BUT... I realized that I loved pathology. There is a pleasant aesthetic to the swirling of pinks and blues on a slide with a mysterious encrypted message waiting for the right person to be able to read it. Pathology is for people who like mysteries, codes, and a little bit of voodoo magic. It is for people who have a reflective meditative side hidden underneath their obsessive compulsive personality. Pathology is the field for the artists and dreamers who carry themselves with cold hard scientific scrutiny. If you sit down at a microscope and find you can make some sense out of the tissue in front of you, and you find pleasure knowing that most people can't (i.e. no critiques from armchair pathologists), and you like the unobtrusive intimacy slides and specimens provide, then maybe the field is for you.

Mindy

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very good description, Mindy. That covers many of the aspects of path that I like.

definitely agree with Mindy as well.....

Wow, doesn't Mindy have a way with words!!

I love reading her posts.

One of the things I tend to enjoy about pathology is how much it is influenced by both the history of medicine as well as the future. I suppose this is true for most branches of medicine, but during all of my rotations I noticed it much more in path. Pathologists are quite often the most true "scholars" of a hospital environment, the ones who can tell you when and how a disease was first described, and the ones who do the most teaching. If you go to a multidisciplinary conference, the pathologist is the one who has the ultimate say on the truth and significance. Pathologists teach, more than any other field, during the first two years of medical school when the groundwork for becoming a physician is begun. And they continue to teach, as well as learn, throughout their careers. Pathologists explore disease at its most fundamental level, that of the individual cell and its neighbors. One can spend hours interviewing a patient, physical exam, radiology, lab tests, etc without really knowing what is going on. A pathologist can often examine a 1 cm block of tissue and provide more insight than any of the other modalities.

Things about other fields were attractive to me, but no other field provided the consistent intellectual stimulation and challenges of pathology. It's all in what interests you. I, for example, did not particularly like being in the OR, maintaining sterile fields, hemostasis, worrying about post-operative orders, etc. I wanted to know what the tumor looked like. Medicine (particularly branches like cardiology, hematology) come closest to making my wheels spin, but not nearly as often and in such different ways.

All that, plus all the paperwork, phones calls, and other tedious stuff is much more minimized in terms of a daily work load. You can pop down at a microscope with your box of slides and zip off into your own little world.

Great post Mindy! You Rock!! :love:

EM - variety, fast pace, focus on diagnosis, little to no treatment stuff, no ongoing pt care responsibilities, shift work. Almost chose it, actually. However, disliked drug seekers, and non-emergencies/chronic probs that were just an issue of poor access to primary care. After a while, got tired of the parade of patients demanding something from me and me not being able to fix them.
IM - emphasis on underlying mechanisms, evidence-based approach. But, and this is a big one, I do NOT like dealing with chronic problems, especially treatment of them. It feels futile to me. I like to fix things and you do NOT get that in IM, outside some ID stuff. I also don't really buy into the mentality of IM. There are some really crazy and masochistic aspects of it, that only first-hand experience will teach you whether you're cut out for or not.
Surgery - feeling of "fixing things", actually making people better, almost chose general surgery for that reason. Liked the variety at the time as everything was new to me, but I have a feeling that after a while hernia repairs would become pretty boring. Hours are a huge drawback...even attendings still work 60+ hrs a week.
Urology - seriously considered for a while - somewhat better hrs than general, plus it includes warm fuzzy counseling stuff that I do kinda like. Also felt a personality match with the particular group I was working with. Liked the plastics procedures (which also led me to consider plastics). But, just not cerebral enough for me, mostly just plumbing.
OB/GYN - Delivering babies is just plain cool, so for about a week I was sold on OB...except when they are crack babies. Gets depressing after a while. The hours in OB speak for themselves, as well as the malpractice. Looking in vaginas all day is not my favorite thing to do. Most importantly, the attitudes and personalities I encountered in this field were malignant, stressed, power-tripping. *shudder* Bad memories.
Radiology - Very cool, technical, opportunities to do procedures and talk to clinicians, clinically relevant, but without ongoing pt care responsibilities. Loved the personalities. But I have 2 radiologist friends who actually work their butts off, contrary to popular belief, and are bored with what they are doing. That's the main reason I stayed away.
Peds - Kids are fun. When giving out Spiderman stickers makes your patient's day, life is good. On the other hand, you trade in mental challenge. Most outpt peds is well child checks, runny noses, etc., and placating worried parents, every one of whom thinks their Billy or Bobby is a little king. Did enjoy working at a clinic for unisured Hispanics, really enjoyed the family dynamics and interactions there, but have a feeling it wouldn't pay very well as a career.
Anesthesia - just the right amt of pt contact, get the warm and fuzzy stuff making patients feel less nervous before surgery, no ongoing pt care responsibilities, get to be in OR environment which I like, shift work, cool personalities. But I don't really like pharmacology at all.
Psych - Actually a lot of potential to fix people, especially inpatient psych. Psych pts are much more rewarding to work with in a psych setting, rather than as a disruption to your day in IM or surgery. Of course, some patients are already so far gone, and have suffered so many horrible things in their childhoods that they aren't fixable and that's depressing. Outpt psych was a total downer. Try seeing 10 pts in a day ALL of whom are depressed and want to talk about it. *shudder*...not sure my own mental health could survive.

Mindy said:
Well I liked most specialties with notable exceptions being neurology and ob/gyn. I envisioned myself as both a surgeon and a family doctor, for significant periods of time. I even spent my post-sophomore fellowship preparing for my life as a future surgeon. I still did not consider pathology very seriously by the beginning of my third year after finishing the PSF. I loved clinical medicine. My last official rotation in my fourth year was inpatient consult cardiology just for kicks...and I really liked that.

BUT... I realized that I loved pathology. There is a pleasant aesthetic to the swirling of pinks and blues on a slide with a mysterious encrypted message waiting for the right person to be able to read it. Pathology is for people who like mysteries, codes, and a little bit of voodoo magic. It is for people who have a reflective meditative side hidden underneath their obsessive compulsive personality. Pathology is the field for the artists and dreamers who carry themselves with cold hard scientific scrutiny. If you sit down at a microscope and find you can make some sense out of the tissue in front of you, and you find pleasure knowing that most people can't (i.e. no critiques from armchair pathologists), and you like the unobtrusive intimacy slides and specimens provide, then maybe the field is for you.

Mindy

WOW! :love:

EM - Messed up, screaming, drug seeking, live people.
IM - Chronically ill live people who take a minimum of 20 hours to discharge.
Peds - Live parents living out their own illnesses through their live kids.
Psych - Crazy, but still live.
Rads - 2D representations of live people.
Neurology - "We've figured out exactly which part of you isn't alive anymore."
OB - Screaming live people making more screaming live people.
Surgery - Live people become transiently dead-like, then come back to life. Damn, so close!
Path - Dead people and dead bits of live people. Paradise!

Havarti666 said:
Surgery - Live people become transiently dead-like, then come back to life. Damn, so close!

........."A work of pathological genius"..... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Havarti666 said:

LOL!

Mindy could make a fortune in phone sex...or...uh.....broadcasting for NPR or PBS.

Lovely post Mindy!

But don't you think both radiology and pathology share this code-breaking nature?
I've always oscillated between the 2 specialties, regarding them the same, except that radiology is charcoal art (black and white), and pathology is water colors (pink and blue swirls as u so meticulously put it ;) )

So had the competetiveness been the same, and had the years, hours, and pay been the same too, which would you rather go into? rads or paths? and why?

Last edited:
Pathology is for people who like mysteries, codes, and a little bit of voodoo magic. It is for people who have a reflective meditative side hidden underneath their obsessive compulsive personality. Pathology is the field for the artists and dreamers who carry themselves with cold hard scientific scrutiny.

Mindy

wow, I really think that's beautifully put, I think it also describes me to a T:)

I had a decent amount of both path and rads electives, and I have to 2nd the armchair aspect. Radiologists didn't really like the armchair thing, where every specialty thinks they can take a guess whereas with path they really didn't have that problem.

Mindy