Sweaty Airpits, OK DAT Score Breakdown/Chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCF FINatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll get to the thread title a little later on in the post lol...

So here is what I got:
Perceptual Ability: 22
Quantitative Reasoning: 18
Reading Comprehension: 19
Biology: 19
General Chemistry: 19
Organic Chemistry: 20
Total Science: 19
Academic Average: 19

Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: about a 3.30
Biology/Gen. Chem./Orgo GPA: about 3.20
(Biology I- A, Biology II- B, General Chemistry- C+, General Chemistry II- A, General Chemistry II Lab- B, Organic I- B, Organic II- B, Organic II Lab- A.)

Major: Business Management (Entrepreneurship Track)
Work Experience: I have almost 8 years working experience at Publix Supermarkets.
Shadowing hours: 5 hours (lol I know this is bad, but its been hard with work and school. I put on my application that I am working to get 100+ hours of job shadowing experience)
Applying to: 17 schools currently, althought I am thinking about taking NYU off the list because of $$$ issues.
*** I was wondering if anyone could give me my chances of being accepted once I submit my application next week. Thanks in advance***

Now on to the Breakdown:
Ahhhh sweaty armpits, where to begin... First off, I hate being hot and sweaty; which is a problem for me since I live in humid Florida. So after reading numerous posts about freezing in their testing center I considered bringing a jacket or sweater but decided against it anyway. Since freezing sounded more palatable than burn up. I wore scrubs to my testing center, well, because they are comfortable and light.

As I walked into Center I noticed it was unusually hot. I knew it wasn't just me when another test taker commented on the temperature. I was told that the "testing room" would be a nice, controlled 74 degrees; after I heard that I was looking forward to getting in that room.

So I check in and they seat me in the room and the test begins. I was so nervous I didn't notice the heat the in testing room until I got to question #3 and sweat droplets where running down my head. It got worse and worse but I'll leave that to your imagination :cool:

Biology- It is just as random as people say it is. Additionally I had quite a few conceptual questions that were tricky. I probably marked 15 of the 40 questions, but I am a slow test taker and didn't really have a chance to go back and review or change any answers. I thought I did way worse in this section than I actually did.

To study for this section I used KBB and AP Cliffs Bio. I took really good notes for each section and regularly read through them. DAT Destroyer helped a lot, even though I found it incredibly annoying. I went through that once and got like 60% right and worked a quarter of the way through it again and was getting about 80% right.

General Chemistry- For this I used the KBB, Chads and Destroyer. There was a good amount of conceptual questions and a good amount of numeric questions. In hindsight KBB was a waste for this, I would recommend Chad's videos. I started to work Destroyer for this section but in my opinion it was way too hard. I just did the quizzes on Chad's website over and over again.

I went into this thinking I would score at least a 22 or 23. When I took it there were a few "numeric" questions I got that I didn't know how to solve and had to try to work my way to the right answers. Obviously, that didn't work out so well and I sort of regret not doing more Destroyer problems.

Organic Chemistry- Ironically, this was the section I was most worried about. I watched all of Chad's videos and did a few Destroyer problems but that was it. The reactions I had were pretty basic and I just finished Orgo I in Fall and Orgo II in Spring. My Orgo I teacher was really, really good/hard (he constantly is on probation at my school for failing over 50% of his class); I owe most of my success in this section to him.

Perceptual Ability- I know most people don't like to hear this but I kind of was naturally good at most of these sections (minus TFE). I worked on the examples in KBB and then purchased Crack Dat PAT. Most of my scores in there were like 22, 21, although I did have an occasional 18 or 19. I thought the Keyholes on the real thing where way harder than the CDP, and I got really nervous after that section. I found TFE to be hard, but those are always hard for me. Angles were similar to CDP, although a little harder. I found hole punching to be very easy, I didn't use any of those T-charts at all. Pattern folding was decent too. Cube counting was wayyy easier than the CDP too.

***I took the 15 minute break. At this point I thought I had a 19 PAT and probably a 18 or possibly even lower on the TS. My mentality was it over and at this point I can just try to raise it with Reading and Math.***

Reading Comprehension- I didn't study much for this section other than the 2007 DAT and the 2009 DAT. I am an average reader and got a 590 on the Reading part of the SATs if that helps. I took my time on each passage and read the whole thing. I would write keywords and which paragraph they were in before starting to answer the questions. This helped me a lot to quickly find the answers to Search and Destroy type questions. I tried my best to only spend 20 minutes on each passage, but got to the last one with like 17 minutes remaining. I skipped reading that one and just used Search and Destroy. I am pretty confident if I could have used my other method on this section I would have scored higher but didn't have the time.

Quantitative Reasoning- Going into the test I fully expected this section to be my highest score and to raise my AA. I have always been a good math student. That being said the last time I took trigonometry was in high school (over 4 years ago) and the last actual math class I took was over 2 years ago (Calculus). I did Math Destroyer for this section and was consistantly getting 21s, 22s, 24s, etc. I did have two 17's or 18's but those were outliers in my opinion. The math was simpler than the Math Destroyer, but at this point I was burnt out and really sweaty and tired.

I took there survey and waited for my scores. Honestly I did better than I thought I did; I just really hope I did enough to get into Dental School. Hope this breakdown helps you future DAT'ers and thanks in advance for everyone's advice about my chances of being accepted. Much Love! :love:

Also feel free to ask me any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Those are pretty solid scores man! Good job.

I am also a Business major (Finance) going into dentistry; hopefully that will be to our advantage :thumbup:

One thing I would say though is to really try and up those volunteering and shadowing hours... spend some solid time this summer working on them so you have them with you in the interviews. I am quite sure you will be asked about that in your interview.

GL buddy

what did you get on the 07 and 09 practice tests and did you think they were comparable or way easier like everyone says

Those are pretty solid scores man! Good job.

I am also a Business major (Finance) going into dentistry; hopefully that will be to our advantage :thumbup:

One thing I would say though is to really try and up those volunteering and shadowing hours... spend some solid time this summer working on them so you have them with you in the interviews. I am quite sure you will be asked about that in your interview.

GL buddy

Yeah, that is my plan right now. Every Sunday I am going to get shadowing hours so that by the time interviews come around I will have a more respectable number. I met a Maxillofacial surgeon that was a Business Major and when I went to UNLV's Dental Simulation Course I met another Dental Student that was a Business Major. It's always great when you hear/see other business students having success in the Dental field. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
what did you get on the 07 and 09 practice tests and did you think they were comparable or way easier like everyone says
I can't remember all the exact scores but on the 07 one I got a 19 TS and a 20 AA, but I took that 3 weeks before I took the actual DAT. I learned a great deal in the time since I took that 07 practice test so I would definitely take that one with a grain of salt.

As far as the 09 one, I took that 2 weeks before the actual DAT and got a 17 TS (I missed the 18 TS by 1 question) and I can't remember the rest of the scores on that one or my AA. Again I got a lot of studying done in between taking that 09 version and taking the actual DAT.

Overall, I would say the test is much more like the 09 one. It was more challenging than the 09 version though and the questions where more disquised and you really had to figure out what they were asking. The older versions seem to be more straight forward; where as on the current version you could know the answer yet interpret the question wrong and get it wrong. Hope that helps!

Great job! If you're having trouble getting shadowing hours, I suggest walking into an office because it is much harder to turn you down in person compared to turning you down over the phone!

Some schools I would recommend are both midwesterns, los vegas, the new florida school, also I think you should apply to NYU, it is considered generally a safe school, if you get in great it can be a good backup. You have a good shot at getting in somewhere, try to apply as soon as possible!

Some schools I would recommend are both midwesterns, los vegas, the new florida school, also I think you should apply to NYU, it is considered generally a safe school, if you get in great it can be a good backup. You have a good shot at getting in somewhere, try to apply as soon as possible!
Thanks for your response!! I actually went to UNLV's Dental Simulation Course this summer and loved it there! It might be my first overall choice to be honest.