University of New England (UNE) 2011-2012 applicants.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouCal10

UNE COP C/O 15
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone's interested in this school. I am starting the program in 2 weeks here. if you guys and gals have any questions, feel free to ask. I have a couple of my classmates on this forum also. GOOD LUCK PEOPLE APPLYING THIS YEAR:luck::luck:.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just turned in my application to new england.... what's your stat, if you dont mind.... in between, congrats... can't wait to get that happy feeling

I just turned in my application to new england.... what's your stat, if you dont mind.... in between, congrats... can't wait to get that happy feeling
My stats were not at all impressive. GPA for requisites was about 3.3, overall barely 2.9 lol (I bombed my senior year).
Composite 68;
Bio 84;
Qt 89;
Chem 86;
Verbal 50;
Reading 20 (lol don't know why).
Walgreens pharm tech: 3 years.
BS in Biology.
The only good thing was I applied really early last year, way back in June. Therefore, I was unfortunately accepted to a few schools, and chose UNE over them. Good luck. We'll see you around campus soon. BTW I was in the first interview cycle with UNE last Dec, out of 25 people who showed up, at least 20 got accepted. That's one of the good thing about applying early.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same, my stats weren't great. :thumbdown:

PharmCAS GPA: 2.6
1st attempt PCAT Composite: 53
2nd attempt PCAT Composite: 76

but I think I made up for it with...
- leadership experience (presidency of Alpha Phi Omega)
- pharmacy volunteering experience (3-4 yrs)
- non-pharmacy volunteering experience (5 years of Alpha Phi Omega, 2 years of Circle K)
- 1 year pharmacy work experience as a clerk
- early application (got 2nd interview date)
- good interview

Best of luck!
Background: I was accepted to UNE and if it wasn't for Midwestern pulling me off the wait-list, I would be c/o 2015 with SouCal.

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances! I'm in the same boat with sub-stellar stats but hopefully applying early will benefit me like it did for both of you :)

I was at the 3rd interview. Pharmcas: 3.31 gpa, 62 PCAT.
Pre req gpa was a 3.6. I got waitlisted, I know I didnt bomb the interview, the guys liked me and remembered me. But congras to the class of 2015.

Were you ever taken off the waitlist?
Thanks. NYCrxdream is all set for his State school in NY, he better go there, cuz it's a cheaper than UNE and closer to him. LOL. Yup applying early sure has its advantage. If you can afford to fly to Hilo for the interview, do it. I was accepted for UHH later on, but heard many "not so great things" about living in Hilo and the study environment, so I turned them down. Hilo just got their accreditation back in June 2011, and that's one leg up compared to UNE.

Last edited:
Same, my stats weren't great. :thumbdown:

PharmCAS GPA: 2.6
1st attempt PCAT Composite: 53
2nd attempt PCAT Composite: 76

but I think I made up for it with...
- leadership experience (presidency of Alpha Phi Omega)
- pharmacy volunteering experience (3-4 yrs)
- non-pharmacy volunteering experience (5 years of Alpha Phi Omega, 2 years of Circle K)
- 1 year pharmacy work experience as a clerk
- early application (got 2nd interview date)
- good interview

Best of luck!
Background: I was accepted to UNE and if it wasn't for Midwestern pulling me off the wait-list, I would be c/o 2015 with SouCal.
Hey JJ. Are you all settled in yet? I am all set and waiting for school. Kidda bored! lol. Good thing my friends came over last week to hang out. How's the windy cite is treating you?

Hey JJ. Are you all settled in yet? I am all set and waiting for school. Kidda bored! lol. Good thing my friends came over last week to hang out. How's the windy cite is treating you?

Not yet! I'm still in San Diego, packing to move all my stuff to LA on the 20th. Hanging out with the family and Disneyland one LAST TIME til the 25th. Then I'm driving up to Chicago for 29th move-in. Orientation is 30/31.

UNE is beautiful and the faculty are so sweet. :thumbup:

Not yet! I'm still in San Diego, packing to move all my stuff to LA on the 20th. Hanging out with the family and Disneyland one LAST TIME til the 25th. Then I'm driving up to Chicago for 29th move-in. Orientation is 30/31.

UNE is beautiful and the faculty are so sweet. :thumbup:
Wow you're driving after all? The car shipping thing is a mess and expensive. Drive safe and have fun in LA. Good luck with everything. It looks like your school starts the same time as UNE.

Did you ship your car? Yea I didn't want to spend so much money just to have someone else to dent and ruin my car... or SCAM me.

We have orientation the same time but then our classes dont actually start til Sept 6. Kinda nice because I can explore and settle in after orientation.

Loving the pictures you and Mitchell are posting

Did you ship your car? Yea I didn't want to spend so much money just to have someone else to dent and ruin my car... or SCAM me.

We have orientation the same time but then our classes dont actually start til Sept 6. Kinda nice because I can explore and settle in after orientation.

Loving the pictures you and Mitchell are posting
The car arrived with no dents or any damages, but it was 2 days late according to schedule ($975, a little less than what I was expected). I moved early to explode the area before school starts lol. Acadia was nice. Have fun when you're in the windy city and good luck.
Last year Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10715389
You may wanna read it through while getting ready for your interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys (non-international applicants) didn't have to send in a supplemental, right?

You guys (non-international applicants) didn't have to send in a supplemental, right?
I don't remember doing one for UNE. Someone in my interview cycle (Dec 9th) didn't even take PCAT till Jan and she got accepted conditionally pending the PCAT score and some classes.

Thanks for the information.

The stats of those of you who got accepted make me feel a lot better about myself. :D

Thanks for the information.

The stats of those of you who got accepted make me feel a lot better about myself. :D

Yup. I was depressed about my GPA, but I guess interview skills and applying early are important. I applied for the 2009-2010 cycle late Nov and only got 1 invite for interview. Last year I applied when Pharmcas opened in June, and got 5-6 interviews (and went to 4 of them), and I wouldn't think that I would go to UNE. But I changed my mind after the interview and knowing people I was going to study with. UNE was the first one accepting me, deposits were 2 payments of 1000 each (if it's your backup, think carefully). I turned down Hilo (after seeing the trailer typed classrooms) and Regis for UNE lol. Since they don't have their accreditation yet, it's still easy for this coming. However after that, I imagine it would be tougher, since their Primary care is in top 20, and they are doing everything to push their pharmacy programs up there. Classes are not easy for that matter. SO far we love the teachers here, except for one :laugh:. UNE is research based, so if you are into that kind of thing, there are many chances to do that. Whichever school you choose for the interview, be prepared for it, because once you get an interview, you are 50% in. Except for Hilo, whoever applies and finishes the classes gets an interview, cuz they do closed file interview for the last couple years. After the interview, they will look at your GPA and activities.
The interview for UNE was very chilled. I got 2-3 questions about pharmacy and the rest was talking about how I like the profession and my personal life lol (they actually read my personal statement before the interview and mentioned it). My friend ended up talking about switching from PC to MAC (We have some MAC lover-professors). The other one was talking about the weather in CA. They actually want to know you as a person not book grinders. That being said, there are people who were put on wait-list. Last year, there were 800 applicants and about 250 got called for interviews, and 100 got accepted. The applicant number is growing every year, or so they said. That's why I said applying early is the KEY. In my interview cycle, there were 25/30 people showing up and 22/25 got accepted. I am pretty sure you would do great. Hopefully we'd see you on campus soon.

Last edited:
I just talked to Isaac couple days ago, and he said the first interview would be on Dec 9th (same as last year). That will be the Friday before our finals. Invitations will be sent by email then regular mail. Good luck everyone applying this year!

Thanks for the information, SouCal. It's very detailed and thorough. :)

They sent me an interview invite this morning for Dec. 9th, but that's pretty close to finals week :(

They sent me an interview invite this morning for Dec. 9th, but that's pretty close to finals week :(

Me too! And my finals are the Wednesday after :( Are you going to take the 9th or pick another date?

I'm still deciding. I have another interview coming up next week so if that goes well I'll ask for a later date and let someone else have the early spot, but if I think I blew it I'll probably take the Dec. 9th date.
Any idea what the interview/acceptance ratio is?

I'm still deciding. I have another interview coming up next week so if that goes well I'll ask for a later date and let someone else have the early spot, but if I think I blew it I'll probably take the Dec. 9th date.
Any idea what the interview/acceptance ratio is?

PharmCAS website says 300 interviewed and 150 accepted.

I also received an invite for 12/9. Anyone else flying over from Southern California?

Congrats,

Before you guys decide to pick another date for the interview, Last year for the first cycle 25/30 people showed up to the interview and 23 got accepted. Percentage was lower for later dates.
Read last year posts too to prepare for the interview. The interview is right before our finals, which is going to be the following week, and we have a whole month off. That could be why they do it during that time.
See you soon!

PharmCAS website says 300 interviewed and 150 accepted.
According to our Dean of Academic Admission, last year they had 800 applications and invites for interview were sent out, but only around 250 people showed up to the interview. The class size is only 100, not 150, but since people gave up their seats, the number of acceptance was reportedly higher. But yeah, class size is only 100.

Hi SouCal10...thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to keep the first date. I was wondering if you could explain the interview process a little? I know that it is 2 interviewers, but is it two separate interviews or do both of the people interview you at the same time? Also, is the interview closed or open file?

Hi SouCal10...thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to keep the first date. I was wondering if you could explain the interview process a little? I know that it is 2 interviewers, but is it two separate interviews or do both of the people interview you at the same time? Also, is the interview closed or open file?

If you read through the post last year, you will have a pretty good idea what's would be on the interview and how to prepare for it, starting around page 11. Jkong explained the process pretty well too. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10715389.
The interview is 2 on 1, the essay is a group exercise, you write your own essay based on what is discussed among your group, so it's not that hard. You just need to write sufficient English without using spell check to discussion some pharm related problems. The only school I know of that's doing Closed file is Hilo, so no UNE actually read everything before they invite you for the interview. They actually read your personal statement, so don't be caught off-guard not remembering what you wrote. The interview is really relaxed, but you should do your own research about the school through SDN and school website. You should be fine. Just be yourself, cuz that what they want to see from you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Last year post to prepare for your interview: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10715389.
You should start reading from page 11 forward. It should clear up anything from interview process to hotel stuff! Do you ow research through SDN and school website should help you fell more comfy with the process. It should be a fun experience with free food lol. Don't psych yourself out. GOOD LUCK!!

I just got a notice about this forum. Is anyone else going to the interview on Dec 9th? If so where will u be migrating from? Am in Atlanta

This interview is gonna b fun. Am flying from ATL. Anyone driving?

Last edited:
Not sure how cold ur areas are, but last year during mid Dec, it was 18 degrees. This year, we are expecting a colder and early Winter, so Be prepared! Though I saw people from this thread getting accepted some other places, Congrats!
Also, if any of you decide to apply for Husson in Northern Maine, do your research about the school. I have nothing against Husson nor did I apply for it, but one of my classmates, who lives in the North, said that they are losing staffs left and right and may have some setbacks on the accreditation process. I have no ideas about this school, so keep an eye on it if you apply.

Last edited:
Hey SouCal10 and other UNE students, what's your schedule like with classes? Do you have a job outside of school, and if so, how much time do you spend in it? Are there any students in your class that are married and have kids? I'm coming for the Dec 9th interview, and those are important considerations for me about different schools...Thanks for the great info already on this forum!

Last edited:
Hey SouCal10 and other UNE students, what's your schedule like with classes? Do you have a job outside of school, and if so, how much time do you spend in it? Are there any students in your class that are married and have kids? I'm coming for the Dec 9th interview, and those are important considerations for me about different schools...Thanks for the great info already on this forum!
Our P1 schedule is 9-2 pm Mon, Wed, Fri and 10:30-2 pm Tues and Thurs for lectures, and labs are 2 days a week from 2-5pm (usually we get out at 4pm). I am not working while in school, it's very hard to find a job (pharmacy related in Portland ME. I was a tech for Walgreens for 4 yrs in CA, and they didn't have hours for me here. Plus the application for license here in ME is a bit weird cuz you have to get hired before you submit your application). I am doing ok in school for now, but P1 year is too overwhelming for me to get a job. We have weeks when we have 6-7 quizzes, and for biochem and patho, we study for quizzes like sttudying for exams. In our 4th week, we had 3 exams, 3 quizzes and 2 assignment due. It's not that bad once you get a hang of it. Don't expect the program to be easy, just because it's not accredited. And yes we do have married people in the program. We actually have a married couple in our class, not sure it is for them, but my lab partners move their family with them. If you are used to the high speed programs during your undergrad and pleased with C average, working and going to school are not a bit deal in my opinion. I think the choice between pharmacy schools happen when you actually see the school and the area to see if you like them enough to move over for 4 years.

Last edited:
any supplementary application i need to fill in?
Yeah I don't think there is a supplemental app for UNE. But the sooner you apply the better. Last year during the first cycle, they accepted 23/25 people, and later cycles had less percentage of acceptance.

Last edited:
Good luck to people on Dec 9th. P1 will have our pharmaceutic final on that Friday, and other finals the following week. We'll get off at 12, so it may be hard to catch us before we leave, since your lunch's scheduled for 12-1pm. I am not sure about P2 and P3's schedules.
Pharmacy students are super nice at UNE. If you have any questions and see someone in formal clothing and name tag, more than likely it would be one of us. Ask us questions about the school and the area; we will be more than happy to talk to you.

I'm flying in on Thursday evening for interview on Fri 12/9 and leaving Saturday. Just wondering if anyone is interested in exploring Portland after the interview on Friday. Lobster anyone? =)

I'm flying in on Thursday evening for interview on Fri 12/9 and leaving Saturday. Just wondering if anyone is interested in exploring Portland after the interview on Friday. Lobster anyone? =)
You can check out Three Sons Lobster. They boil the lobster for you (like a food togo place). Very cheap and tasty, but no services. Lobster shack in Cape Elizabeth right off the beach is good and nice, but not sure if they're still open in Dec. We lose the sun around 4pm. Fort William park in Cape Elizabeth is pretty famous for its lighthouse (close at sunset). Jkong and I have some pictures on FB UNE Pharm.D Class of 2015 https://www.facebook.com/pages/UNE-PharmD-Class-of-2015/139818502746315
and my personal FB. Good luck and have fun when you're here!

Hey guys, i have declined my interview at UNE because i got into Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN my first choice. I hope u guys have fun there.

Hey guys, i have declined my interview at UNE because i got into Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN my first choice. I hope u guys have fun there.
Congrats.
We all signed up for the tour. See you guys on campus!

Last edited:

Hey, I'm doing the same, and I wanted to see the city too. I definitely want to try Maine's Lobster :)

It seems like you guys/girls catch a break with the weather. It will be in the 20s at night and 40s during the day (Last year it was 18-22 degrees) on the interview day. Bring warm clothes if you're going around town in the evening. :). Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, I'm doing the same, and I wanted to see the city too. I definitely want to try Maine's Lobster :)
:thumbup:

It seems like you guys/girls catch a break with the weather. It will be in the 20s at night and 40s during the day (Last year it was 18-22 degrees during the day for the interview) on the interview day. Bring warm clothes if you're going around town in the evening. :). Good luck!
Thanks. How many layers of clothes do you usually wear when it's 20s and 40s? Hope you don't mind me asking.

:thumbup:

Thanks. How many layers of clothes do you usually wear when it's 20s and 40s? Hope you don't mind me asking.
Though I'm from CA, I am kidda used to the cold, so I usually just put on my dressshirt and a wool jacket. Last year I was wear thermal suit, dressshirt and a thick wool coat and still was freezing. If you are planning to go around town at night, bring cloves, scarf, and your ears will get very cold too if you need something for that. If you have ankle boots/boots, they will work better than regular dress shoes, cuz it'll be wet after the rain and melting snow. They are expecting rain for the next couple day, so temp will drop to high 30s on Friday.