Are there alot of asians at the UBC Pharmacy program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Careful with your quotation marks there, bub. Acing a test has nothing to do with being a good pharmacist. Understanding and applying a concept is very different from regurgitating minutia. If you know that 12% of strokes are hemorrhagic, and a hemorrhagic volume >60mL is associated with 71-93% mortality at 30 days, good for you. I don't think that will make you a better pharmacist for knowing that.

Another logic fallacy. Why students that know that stuff must not know how to apply it? How is not knowing factual information is suppose to make someone a better pharmacist than someone who does?

Studying something more usually leads to a better understanding of that concept, not worse. :rolleyes:

Edit:
Unless a test is very poorly written, it does not just test memorization of facts. Don't know about tests at other schools, but the questions on tests at my school are written to include everything from basic facts to patient cases that required full grasp of concepts. There is no way a person could get a 4.0, probably not even a 3.0, just by regurgitating facts on them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Studying has nothing to do with being a good pharmacist"?

I guess some people will say just anything to make the point that elite runners and 4.0 Asian students are inferior to non-4.0 non-Asian students (maybe 4.0 is fine for non-Asians).

If you can't dose Lovenox in a hospital setting or can't filling 500+ in a day for a chain then your 4.0 isn't impressive.

Another logic fallacy. Why students that know that stuff must not know how to apply it? How is not knowing factual information is suppose to make someone a better pharmacist than someone who does?
If all you do is study, how are you going to figure out application?

If you can't dose Lovenox in a hospital setting or can't filling 500+ in a day for a chain then your 4.0 isn't impressive.
Exactly. And MOST OF THE TIME if you're so hell-bent on studying to get that 4.0, you're probably not working (getting real experience) many hours a week. If you can work 30 hr/wk, and somebody can cook your meals and do your laundry so you can study without interruption from the moment you get home until you fall asleep, then you'll probably be a great pharmacist as you have the facts and experience. However, most of us do not have that luxury, so when it comes to working and getting a 90 vs not working to get the 100, it's an easy choice for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If all you do is study, how are you going to figure out application?

Weird, had no problem holding down 2 internships at the same time. The top students in the class all had interships and leadership positions. A student who has the competitive spirit in school is most likwhen going to show the same spirit when it comes to internships and leadership positions in organizations.

How do they do it? The difference is in time management skills and motivational level. Look at how many hours are wasted daily and you will know how they find time to do it all.

If you guys got into pharmacy school in the first place, you should all consider yourselves pretty damn smart.

What makes a good clinical pharmacist is to make good clinical decisions on the knowledge they learned in school. Just because you learned a bunch of facts doesn't mean you know how to apply it.

Case in point, I recently graduated myself, and I recently started precepting a newbie P4. She made it a point to remind me that I was a recent graduate, and wanted to show how smart she was, and wanted to play the pharmacy trivia game.

Asked a P4 how do you treat hypoglycemia? She said "glucagon". So i said, Are you going to recommend sticking everyone with glucagon when someone comes in with hypoglycemia. Silence follows.

Asked how to treat elevated INR with Warfarin? She states "vitamin K". So i asked the same question. Are you going to recommend giving vitamin K to everyone who comes in with elevated INR? Silence follows.

Asked how to treat hyperkalemia? She states "Kayexelate". So I asked the same question. Are you going to recommend giving kayexelate to everyone who comes in with hyperkalemia? Silence follows.

Patient has VRE, what do you treat? She states "Linezolid". So I asked her if there are any b-lactams you can recommend? Silence follows.

Point is, the student knows her material. All the answers are correct, but they may not be the best intervention without her ASKING about additional patient specific factors. Unfortunately, she hasn't learned to ask so I keep her busy with random trivia. Anyway, she has the tools given to her in school. She just doesn't know how to apply it yet without experience.

Scary thing is there are pharmacists out there, who know alot about everything because they were "really smart in school", but ask them how to apply it, and you start to feel like :scared:.

Scary thing is there are pharmacists out there, who know alot about everything because they were "really smart in school", but ask them how to apply it, and you start to feel like :scared:.

What's way more common are students coming on rotation that don't know jack. Pt starting on metformin, what labs do you need to check? "blood sugar". Good, what else? ..Dead silence... What about Lisinopril? "That's an ACE-I right?"; wow, yes, so what labs? "err... hemoglobin?" I don't even want to know how they passed any of the classes.

Last edited:
What's way more common are students coming on rotation that don't know jack. Pt starting on metformin, what labs do you need to check? "blood sugar". Good, what else? ..Dead silence... What about Lisinopril? "That's an ACE-I right?"; wow, yes, so what labs? "err... hemoglobin?" I don't even want to know how they passed any of the classes.

I don't think they've put it all together yet. For me, it all came together during my last 3 rotations and studying for the NAPLEX.

Looking back, I think you just described how I was on my first rotation. .