Pharmacy school vs. Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

User9606

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am considering between medical school and pharmacy school.

The medical profession is not what I thought it to be. I realized that I dont want to deal with the emotional stresses that come along with the profession such as diagnosing a child with Cystic Fibrosis and such. I think Pharmacy will allow me the patient counseling without the emotional baggage associated with a physicians profession.

Can you think of any other reasons to make the switch to a Pharm. D. program instead of going to an MD/DO program? Am I missing anything?

What else can I say that draws me to pharmacy over medicine?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I am considering between medical school and pharmacy school.

The medical profession is not what I thought it to be. I realized that I dont want to deal with the emotional stresses that come along with the profession such as diagnosing a child with Cystic Fibrosis and such. I think Pharmacy will allow me the patient counseling without the emotional baggage associated with a physicians profession.

Can you think of any other reasons to make the switch to a Pharm. D. program instead of going to an MD/DO program? Am I missing anything?

What else can I say that draws me to pharmacy over medicine?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Lol, I find you mentioning CF specifically is odd. Why does CF make you uncomfortable? I work with CF kids all the time, it isn't as ominous a diagnosis as in years past.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was just one example. The average life expectancy of a CF patient is approximately 50 and having to see a patient suffer from URI's and dietary restrictions etc...Maybe I should have used a stronger example...but nonetheless- i just find the pharmacists profession more appealing between work load and stress level. I still will be able to counsel patients at end of the day without the stresses of being a physician.

I just made the switch from pharm to med school. You're going to be dealing with really sick people no matter where you are. People will cry at the pharmacy when they find out cancer drugs are thousands of dollars. They will call you up having a panic attack and not knowing what to do. You will get called every day by a lonely old woman who is neglected by her family and slowly losing the ability to take care of herself and doesn't know what meds to take and when. You'll see people with no money come to you begging for something that can help their sick children OTC because they can't afford a doctor. You will have a scared 14 year old girl ask you for Plan B and tell you she can't go to her parents to get it because they will kick her out of the house, and you'll have to say no. The guy you saw every week who was so much fun to talk to will be on one alzheimer's drug, then 2, and then he won't be around anymore.

True you won't be diagnosing sick children, but there are heartbreaking and difficult things in the pharmacy.

Reactions: 7 users
Maybe I should have used a stronger example...but nonetheless- i just find the pharmacists profession more appealing between work load and stress level. I still will be able to counsel patients at end of the day without the stresses of being a physician.
In my opinion, counseling patients is not all what it's cracked up to be. If you pick pharmacy over medicine, then I would go into some type of pharmacy practice where you're part of the healthcare team - not a chain retail pharmacist, because in that environment, counseling patients will not give you enough satisfaction. Chains are very profit-driven, which makes it difficult to practice pharmacy the way that it should be practiced.

I work for a chain, and it's fine, but I also work for a tiny, non-profit, long term care hospital, where I dose blood thinners, antibiotics, TPNs, etc. It's the best pharmacy gig that I've ever had, and I hope that someday, I'll get to work there full-time. :cool:

That does sound rewarding. I do like the patient interactions. However, I feel that medical school is such a long path that I do not want to deal with it anymore. I would rather have the flexibility and mobility of being a pharmacist than become a physician. However, I need a compelling argument for the Pharmacy admissions committee so they can grant me admission. I'm sure they dont want to hear about the workload so I am leaning more towards the emotional aspect. Can you offer me a compelling argument?

That is an interesting switch, and I'm sure many more pharmacists go into med school than the other way around.
I do like the patient interactions. However, I feel that medical school is such a long path that I do not want to deal with it anymore. I would rather have the flexibility and mobility of being a pharmacist than become a physician. However, I need a compelling argument for the Pharmacy admissions committee so they can grant me admission. I'm sure they dont want to hear about the workload so I am leaning more towards the emotional aspect. Can you offer me a compelling argument?

That does sound rewarding. I do like the patient interactions. However, I feel that medical school is such a long path that I do not want to deal with it anymore. I would rather have the flexibility and mobility of being a pharmacist than become a physician. However, I need a compelling argument for the Pharmacy admissions committee so they can grant me admission. I'm sure they dont want to hear about the workload so I am leaning more towards the emotional aspect. Can you offer me a compelling argument?

You need to write your own entrance essays.

I am asking for some brainstorming ideas not an essay. Thank you

Lol. I am just asking for some brainstorming ideas. Not for someone to write out a complete essay for me. Thank you.

How come you are so sure about people who became physicians not wanting to become something else (pharmacist) instead? Maybe they don't wanna tell you how screwed up they feel about their lives. Ego is the big thing, and nobody would go to school for over 11 years and say m life is f**ed up in front of strangers.

Like someone say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. I am just asking for some brainstorming ideas. Not for someone to write out a complete essay for me. Thank you.

Write an essay about how easy you think being a pharmacist is.

Just use this one. The Oz references are HILARIOUS.

Like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, my choice to pursue pharmacy was not laid out so colorfully before me. From the age of five, I was so sure a doctor was what I wanted to be. My plans changed, however, when I was taken off the yellow brick road and led in a new direction. I was placed in a pharmacy tech class the first day of my senior year of high school instead of the clinical rotation class I signed up for because that class was full. Rather than loathe this whole experience, I decided to make the best of it.
When the class was over, I knew everything I thought I knew about my future plans, hopes, and dreams had changed. I came to the realization that I did not just want to make a diagnosis for a patient but actually be the person who offered the patient the cure; I want to be that missing link between the pain and the healing. After becoming a certified pharmacy tech, my mouth watered for more. My decision to pursue a career in pharmacy may have come from a simple act of fate in a small town high school, but my passion for it came long before that. It came from a five feet, two inches tall woman known as my grandmother. For me, the happiest place on Earth was next to her. As I was turning eight, my grandmother was diagnosed with the worst type of cancer possible, pancreatic. Unfortunately, at this time there were not a lot of options available in treating this aggressive disease and soon the battle was over. I don't remember a whole lot during those last few moments but I do remember asking myself, "Why can't she take medicine like I do and get better?". My grandmother, like the Good Witch, had just given me my brick road to follow.
Today, so many cancer drugs are available and many people are winning the battle with cancer. However, pancreatic cancer still remains hard to treat. For this reason, I would choose to focus on cancer drug research and development. Specifically, I would love to work on a multidrug combination involving many different agents directed at many cellular targets. My time as a chemistry teaching assistant, where I was in charge of leading labs to get the expected results and consulting with other teaching assistants about the execution of the lab, will serve me well when I have to run my own experiments in research or collaborate with others as a team. At pharmacies, I have of course filled prescriptions but my true passion lies in compounding. Pharmacy school can provide me with the first hand experience of compounding which would serve as the jumping board for me to leap out into the research field of cancer drugs.
From volunteering at retail and hospital pharmacies to simply the museum, I gained a sense of humanity. Knowing that the service I was providing, whether it was in the form of a medication or reading a book to kids, I felt fulfilled to know that these people may in some small way leave in better condition than whey they arrived. The time I have devoted to helping others is just the beginning. I want it to transcend into helping people locally as well as globally. My long term goals include traveling to third world countries several times a year to bring medicine to areas with poor access to health care. To travel and organize pharmacy expeditions in other countries seems daunting. However, having served as assistant to the manager/ owner of a business focused on bringing vitamins to the public, I learned how to sell the product not only to the public but big corporations as well. I was in charge of marketing and advertisement, which helped bring in a younger demographic looking to get built. I believe these skills will be vital in gaining support to travel halfway around the world to help others.
Dorothy's sudden dream changed her life and gave her a new perspective. Likewise, with the help of one unplanned course and my own Good Witch, I have discovered my true passion for pharmacy and am just as determined to face whatever Wicked Witch or flying monkeys I have to. While clicking my heels together will not get me what I want, I am prepared to devote the next four years of my life to becoming a pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
I just made the switch from pharm to med school. You're going to be dealing with really sick people no matter where you are. People will cry at the pharmacy when they find out cancer drugs are thousands of dollars. They will call you up having a panic attack and not knowing what to do. You will get called every day by a lonely old woman who is neglected by her family and slowly losing the ability to take care of herself and doesn't know what meds to take and when. You'll see people with no money come to you begging for something that can help their sick children OTC because they can't afford a doctor. You will have a scared 14 year old girl ask you for Plan B and tell you she can't go to her parents to get it because they will kick her out of the house, and you'll have to say no. The guy you saw every week who was so much fun to talk to will be on one alzheimer's drug, then 2, and then he won't be around anymore.

True you won't be diagnosing sick children, but there are heartbreaking and difficult things in the pharmacy.

This is right on. If you're looking to avoid heartbreak, pharmacy - heck, healthcare in general - is not the place to go. I'm a hospital pharmacist and in my still young career I've dealt with rape victims and patients who are 30 years old and dying of cancer, to name a few sad examples. We don't do as much of the heavy lifting as the MDs and RNs do, but we deal with heartache too.

Reactions: 1 user
Just use this one. The Oz references are HILARIOUS.

Like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, my choice to pursue pharmacy was not laid out so colorfully before me. From the age of five, I was so sure a doctor was what I wanted to be. My plans changed, however, when I was taken off the yellow brick road and led in a new direction. I was placed in a pharmacy tech class the first day of my senior year of high school instead of the clinical rotation class I signed up for because that class was full. Rather than loathe this whole experience, I decided to make the best of it.
When the class was over, I knew everything I thought I knew about my future plans, hopes, and dreams had changed. I came to the realization that I did not just want to make a diagnosis for a patient but actually be the person who offered the patient the cure; I want to be that missing link between the pain and the healing. After becoming a certified pharmacy tech, my mouth watered for more. My decision to pursue a career in pharmacy may have come from a simple act of fate in a small town high school, but my passion for it came long before that. It came from a five feet, two inches tall woman known as my grandmother. For me, the happiest place on Earth was next to her. As I was turning eight, my grandmother was diagnosed with the worst type of cancer possible, pancreatic. Unfortunately, at this time there were not a lot of options available in treating this aggressive disease and soon the battle was over. I don’t remember a whole lot during those last few moments but I do remember asking myself, “Why can’t she take medicine like I do and get better?”. My grandmother, like the Good Witch, had just given me my brick road to follow.
Today, so many cancer drugs are available and many people are winning the battle with cancer. However, pancreatic cancer still remains hard to treat. For this reason, I would choose to focus on cancer drug research and development. Specifically, I would love to work on a multidrug combination involving many different agents directed at many cellular targets. My time as a chemistry teaching assistant, where I was in charge of leading labs to get the expected results and consulting with other teaching assistants about the execution of the lab, will serve me well when I have to run my own experiments in research or collaborate with others as a team. At pharmacies, I have of course filled prescriptions but my true passion lies in compounding. Pharmacy school can provide me with the first hand experience of compounding which would serve as the jumping board for me to leap out into the research field of cancer drugs.
From volunteering at retail and hospital pharmacies to simply the museum, I gained a sense of humanity. Knowing that the service I was providing, whether it was in the form of a medication or reading a book to kids, I felt fulfilled to know that these people may in some small way leave in better condition than whey they arrived. The time I have devoted to helping others is just the beginning. I want it to transcend into helping people locally as well as globally. My long term goals include traveling to third world countries several times a year to bring medicine to areas with poor access to health care. To travel and organize pharmacy expeditions in other countries seems daunting. However, having served as assistant to the manager/ owner of a business focused on bringing vitamins to the public, I learned how to sell the product not only to the public but big corporations as well. I was in charge of marketing and advertisement, which helped bring in a younger demographic looking to get built. I believe these skills will be vital in gaining support to travel halfway around the world to help others.
Dorothy’s sudden dream changed her life and gave her a new perspective. Likewise, with the help of one unplanned course and my own Good Witch, I have discovered my true passion for pharmacy and am just as determined to face whatever Wicked Witch or flying monkeys I have to. While clicking my heels together will not get me what I want, I am prepared to devote the next four years of my life to becoming a pharmacist.

Okay, I sort of like it! At least it's creative. :D

"At pharmacies, I have of course filled prescriptions but my true passion lies in compounding. Pharmacy school can provide me with the first hand experience of compounding which would serve as the jumping board for me to leap out into the research field of cancer drugs."

I'm pretty sure pharmacy school offers lots more useful knowledge and experience for cancer drug research than compounding..correct me if I'm wrong here. Hahaha :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure pharmacy school offers lots more useful knowledge and experience for cancer drug research than compounding..correct me if I'm wrong here. Hahaha :rolleyes:

Don't quote me. I didn't write that hilarious personal statement. Although, when I apply to MD school after pharmacy school so I can be a real doctor, I may change a few choice words and use that as my essay.

Don't quote me. I didn't write that hilarious personal statement. Although, when I apply to MD school after pharmacy school so I can be a real doctor, I may change a few choice words and use that as my essay.
Robin Williams once said in a movie,"Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that". I think the same concept can be applied elsewhere. Something to think about moving forward in your career. IMO, find out whether you are a fit for a physician or a pharmacist. Don't go doing both as you'll waste years of your life you'll likely regret as you get older.

That one is pretty good, but there are some great PS' in my sig as well you might use instead. :thumbup:

Good PS Better PS

Haha sorry man, that's why I added extra quotation marks inside the quote, but I guess it still looked like you said it. And yea, it's not all bad.

That one is pretty good, but there are some great PS' in my sig as well you might use instead. :thumbup:

Good PS Better PS

Unless those links contain personal statements with the words "flying monkeys", I wont be using them. I need to stand out to get accepted. I will stand out by working hard.

Unless those links contain personal statements with the words "flying monkeys", I wont be using them. I need to stand out to get accepted. I will stand out by working hard.

With the many pharmacy colleges opening up and needing new students to cover their costs. I think your application essay is the least of your worries. High GPA, HIGH PCAT, and you are as good as gold. You could probably crap on a piece of paper and send it in as your essay and get accepted. Pharmacy colleges have significantly lowered their standards for acceptance, including my Alma Matter, which is crazy to think the standards are so different and I only graduated 2 years ago.

With the many pharmacy colleges opening up and needing new students to cover their costs. I think your application essay is the least of your worries. High GPA, HIGH PCAT, and you are as good as gold. You could probably crap on a piece of paper and send it in as your essay and get accepted. Pharmacy colleges have significantly lowered their standards for acceptance, including my Alma Matter, which is crazy to think the standards are so different and I only graduated 2 years ago.

I'm already in pharmacy school. The essay is for my medical school application after pharmacy school. I no loner want to be a pharmacist because my classmates are bottom of the barrel and I am better than them. I'm going for the elite M.D!

I'm already in pharmacy school. The essay is for my medical school application after pharmacy school. I no loner want to be a pharmacist because my classmates are bottom of the barrel and I am better than them. I'm going for the elite M.D!

Wow, ok......

Are you going to drop out of pharmacy school or go to med school after you graduate.

I can say one thing, based on history, you have to perfect attitude to be a physician.

I guess it would be nice to belong to a group of individuals who are so arrogant and elite that they feel they don't even have to write their names legibly, because people should just know who they are. (not all Docs, just the ones who are better than everyone else)

Just remember this, Sanford guide. The physician's abx bible. It doesn't matter what the studies say, or what you hospitals antibiogram says, or even the Culture. If the Sanford guide says it's anti-pseudomonal, it is, ok......

Good Luck.

Aren't both degrees considered elite? After all, not everyone gets a doctorate...

If you want to be a physician, be one. But if it's just for ego stroking, you won't be happy no matter what career you choose. I wish you the best of luck, though.

not_sure_if_troll.png

This quote should be posted in the front of every pharmacy school classroom to make the pharmacy students really mad.

All the pharmacists keep saying all the new pharmacists are bottom on the barrel. I want respect from my future colleagues.

All the pharmacists keep saying all the new pharmacists are bottom on the barrel. I want respect from my future colleagues.

Of course they do, because they think that our generation is nothing more than a bunch of entitled whiners unless we prove otherwise. That and the new pharmacists don't have nearly as much experience as the older ones, which is to be expected, but that's also why you have to prove yourself.

Respect is earned, and you'll have to earn the respect you expect no matter what field you're in.

I still hope that your plans pan out for you and that you're happy with what you choose.

Hmmm.....I wonder why we would say something like that.....let me think....^^^^...nope, I got nothing.

Do you see medical schools opening up on every corner, like the pharmacy profession has allowed? When choosing between medical school and pharmacy school, consider what your job options are, as many new pharmacy grads have been unable to secure employment upon graduation.

Do you see medical schools opening up on every corner, like the pharmacy profession has allowed? When choosing between medical school and pharmacy school, consider what your job options are, as many new pharmacy grads have been unable to secure employment upon graduation.

Actually you do see a lot of medical schools opening. There is not more residencies for them. So you will see A LOT of unemployed medical school graduates as well.

Pharmacy doesn't have the same options in medicine so you are limited. Pharmacy is not driven by ideas and abilities of the individual. This isn't business where you can name your salary and a company will pay you because your worth. They just want a pulse that will pump out the Rx and make them money and keep customers happy. It is called Retail Pharmacy for a reason. It is like working at the Mall except you sell prescriptions and make more money (for the time being).

Actually you do see a lot of medical schools opening. There is not more residencies for them. So you will see A LOT of unemployed medical school graduates as well.

Pharmacy doesn't have the same options in medicine so you are limited. Pharmacy is not driven by ideas and abilities of the individual. This isn't business where you can name your salary and a company will pay you because your worth. They just want a pulse that will pump out the Rx and make them money and keep customers happy. It is called Retail Pharmacy for a reason. It is like working at the Mall except you sell prescriptions and make more money (for the time being).

Seriously?

True. Graduate Medical Education funding has remain stagnant for the last couple of years and will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. I think it will definitely be harder to get a competitive residency in the coming years although unemployed medical graduates is still a decade or so off as there is still some capacity (residencies in the middle of nowhere) that have gone underutilized.

Eh, trying to figure out the OP... honestly... I think they need some more real-world experience before making a decision. Physicians do not have a monopoly on emotional baggage as the OP believes. Pharmacist do deal with very sick people and may need to interact with those patients in a direct manner.

Med schools aren't opening at nearly the same rate of pharmacy. There's 30 new pharm schools up for review this spring alone. There are about 14 new medical schools scheduled to open in the next 2-3 years.

Even with more schools, there probably won't be much of a problem for US graduated MD/DO students. The squeeze will be put on foreign grads as the less desirable programs that they take spots in will be filling up with US grads.

Lifestyle concerns were my biggest factors. Pharmacy offers a lot more flexibility in that regard. Honestly it takes a certain kind of person to really dedicate themselves to 50-80 hrs/week for 10+ years for M3, m4 , internship and residency , and then building a practice. Pharmacy on the other hand , get out of school and get a float or prn job for 20-30hrs / week , no problem. It can really be a different beast altogether , and still offers "career" tracks for those motivated people . So think about how you want the rest of your life to play out with regard to work life balance and think about how you want to take your career forward. If you value achievement and mastery , probably more opportunities in medicine, but if you are more focused on just getting out there to work and pick up a flexible job, pharmacy is clearly superior.

A medical doctor degree is the king in clinical practice. The buck stops there. PharmDs are not globally recognized and industry respected (ceiling cap). There is a huge salary difference. There is a huge training/education difference.

If you want a good life, balanced work/family, and prestige within healthcare, goto dentistry. You are your own employer, 3rd party reimbursment is small, 4 days/week work schedule, dental assistants can do half the work, and salary is good.

Personally, I wouln't want to look in peoples mouths day in and day out as a profession.

are okay with being refered to as "just a pharmacist"? i wasnt.

Meh.

Unless you specialize in Surgery or EM, you are "just a socially inept lifetime student with good memorization skills"

You know what they call the guy who graduated dead last in his class in Med School? Doctor....

Can I call you just a doc when you constantly screw up easy prescriptions? Or just a doc when you can't be bothered with legibly writing scripts? Or having your 18 year old office grunt acting as the intermediary between my questions and your golf game?

Frankly for all the crap I've gotten as a pharmacist, the worst part has been from jacknut prescribers (mostly physicians, but not entirely physicians). They seem to think I like calling them and wasting time because I don't have other, more productive things to do with my time.

A medical doctor degree is the king in clinical practice. The buck stops there. PharmDs are not globally recognized and industry respected (ceiling cap). There is a huge salary difference. There is a huge training/education difference.
Pharmacists aren't globally recognized, but Singapore and Japan seem to be the only places in the civilized world where the pharmacist's unique skill set isn't valued that much. Generally, pharmacists make roughly 50% of what physicians make. When one considers the residency, likely higher student loans, and taxes, a pharmacist may very well outearn a physician in a 10 year cycle. The physician doesn't usually surpass the pharmacist until ages 35-40 years old and that's working more hours. If it's a surgeon or anesthesiologist, then their residencies are much longer. Also, there are many pharmacists in the top 1%.

I want to be a pharmacist because I want to go into drug manufacturing and quality control.

Someone who wants respect because of their occupational title or how much money they make probably doesn't deserve that much of it. Respect should come from what a person does and knows as an individual. The structure of a significant retroviral protease was determined recently largely by a SP Vincent, who not only appears to lack any chemistry background, but has no known academic credentials at all.

Someone who wants respect because of their occupational title or how much money they make probably doesn't deserve that much of it. Respect should come from what a person does and knows as an individual. The structure of a significant retroviral protease was determined recently largely by a SP Vincent, who not only appears to lack any chemistry background, but has no known academic credentials at all.

Exactly. And the guy who discovered that the expansion of the universe is accelerating had no PhD. He was just an amateur astronomer. Just goes to show you that doing this with your youth:
faceinbook.jpg

May not be the best approach. But it certainly can be the safest path to a stable income.

I was at the WHO this summer and I can tell you for a fact that there are plenty of "global" opportunities for pharmacists.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Interesting...
When I answer the phone in the hospital I say, 'this is the pharmacist'

and i usually say, "you need to hurry up reconciliating room blah blahs meds" and hang up. sorry this is reality at our organization

and i usually say, "you need to hurry up reconciliating room blah blahs meds" and hang up. sorry this is reality at our organization

You are a medical student. If you do that to me, your preceptor and school will be contacted. Watch it.

Fortunately, in a real setting, and not on the big bad internet, most of the physicians (residents and attendings alike) never talk to their co-workers like that.

You seriously can't be that rude to your co-workers I hope. Sure there are times the RN's call and ask for quick verifiication, but they are always nice about it. "Hey awval999, bed 19 is in lots of pain, can you verify for me quick..." Keep throwing around that e-penis and an old crotchety RN will let you have it one day, and your preceptor will just laugh at you.