Story of a third time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaAppli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying to medical school for the past 3 years.

This is my story.

Three years ago I submitted my first application and thought that this would be a piece of cake. All of my friends told me that I would get in for sure. I had a genius like reputation(not that I am), and people would joke to me about how I would end up at Harvard Medical School. Part of me began to believe it too ( although I knew I was nowhere near a top tier material). I was aiming for a mid tier school, but figured I would settle for a bottom tier school as well. With a 3.7c/sgpa, 31 MCAT, and strong ECS I thought I was set.

How foolish I was.....

I was high on the number of secondaries I was receiving that July. I figured I was really popular ( Only to realize later that secondaries are typically given just on numerical screens). I turned in 30 secondaries by August with anticipation and excitement. September came with silence. Felt numb by November. Disappointed by December. I had already graduated in August, and planned to sit on my butt and enjoy the rest of my year before medical school. I spent 4 months partying, and telling girls I was going to medical school. I went home happy on many nights, but ironically I ended up screwing myself. With my lifestyle I had nothing to add to my application.

For the New Year, I knew I would be reapplying. Sure enough I am rejected from all medical schools by May, even the low tier schools that I thought I was too good for. Rather than looking for a job, I overloaded on community service and clinical experience. I also retook the mcat for a 33. I wanted to jam pack everything for the next application cycle. At this point, the thought of taking another year off from medical school scared the hell out of me.

What a humbling year. Yet, I told myself that next cycle I would make it no matter what. Life became painful to bear knowing that I was a medical school reject. I hated telling people I did not get in this year. Humbling.

With a somewhat new application ( For the rest of the year, I spent 30 hrs/week+ on ECS, and a higher MCAT), I thought I would get in for sure on my second attempt. I applied to 35+ schools and turned in all my secondaries in July. I get my first interview in August, then another in September. I thought I must have done something right. Medical school seemed so close now. I nailed my interviews, but am left in silence for the coming months. I was as hopeful as I was last year after receiving all of those secondaries. By February I had racked up 6 interviews! I began to grossly fantasize about all of these medical schools wanting me and having to choose between them. I also made sure to tell other people I had 6 medical school interviews. Turns out I would get rejected by 2 post interview, and waitlisted by 4. Up until June I was still hopeful for an acceptance. No way I could not get in with 6 interviews I thought.

It happened. I failed to get in with 6 interviews.

All this time I am unemployed borrowing thousands of dollars from my parents.
The past two cycles made me feel like a loser. On top of that I had no job. I was not working. I went from having such a good reputation in college as the "smart one" to being a failure. I lived with my parents, had no job, and no medical school.

I broke down. What was I doing with my life?

It was June 2011, and I wasn't sure if I should turn in my primary application. I had continued my intense EC schedule but still had no employment. I owed my parents a lot of money, and was scared to borrow more. Around that time I was fortunate to find a full time job. I had lost all self confidence in my application and ultimately in myself. Yet, for some reason I applied. I decided to go for a third time. Maybe I was crazy. Maybe I was in denial. All I knew was that I wanted to be a doctor despite everything that told me I shouldn't.

I mustered up all my energy to push forward.I manage to submit my secondaries by the end of July. August and September roll by with silence... FML. Why did I apply again?
October rolls around with an interview invite, then magically I receive 4 interviews by November. Mid December I hear back from the school I interviewed at in November: Rejected. What a way to start the interview season.. I thought there was something wrong with my application at that point. I finish all of my interviews by January, and waited in silence.

Until today....

I FU#$%ING MADE IT. AFTER THREE LONG YEARS. ACCEPTED C/O 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
:clap:

Congratulations for sticking it out and for not losing hope. I have no idea why you didn't get in the first two cycles but who cares now! Again, congrats and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!

I got about 3/4 of the way through your post and I thought to myself, "Hmm I wonder why he didn't get into his state schools..." So I scrolled up to see where you were from, but alas, no location provided...

Then I looked at your username. Now it alll makes sense.

Great story. Congratulations. You've surely become a stronger person because of this experience.

Congratulations!!! :) It's amazing to hear that this time it worked out! You didn't give up hope, and now you're in!!! :D

wow, very very humbling story. I too applied this year without any success - despite my reputation in college. Congrats - if i were you, i would defer a year just to celebrate and travel all around the world.

rofl

What keeps me going from all the rejections is thinking about this girl I have a HUGE crush on in college. I keep on thinking that once I get into medical school, I am finally "above" her (she is a communication major) and would no longer be embarrassed/humiliated to approach her to ask for a date.

this girl wouldn't happen to be the soprano known as Pauline de Ahna would it?

I read this to my dad I loved it so much. CONGRATS!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is sweet. Enjoy the feeling, there really is nothing quite like it (and it lasts).

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story :D

All is well that ends well.
But it could have been different.
Count your blessings, and good luck to you.

congrats. it would be interesting to know what your weaknesses were (if you know them) first two cycles. you're californian, and probably ORM?

Congrats on achieving your dream.
The lessons you have learned by persevering will serve you well.

Congratulations!! Your story reminded me of mine, except I am on my second try this year. I also began my first cycle thinking I'd get in, and everyone around me told me so because of my reputation. Everyone kept pestering me of where I've gotten in, if I've heard back from schools like Harvard, etc... Like you I also had a 31MCAT/3.7cGPA! Also applied early and had all secondary in by August. But my story now diverges to match your 2nd-time-experience, where I did get 7 interviews, but managed to not get in anywhere. Devastated... the next few months were painful :-/ I think some of the mental damage has still lasted. But now three years later, I am re-applying, only to be greeted with 2 rejections early on + 1 pre-interview hold before my first interview invite! Overall, I had 4 II this cycle, which is less than before, but the turnout so far has been better! At least for me, this process really tested my self-esteem and commitment to the career path, but we did it!! We're gonna be doctors!! :)

dang based on ur name i assume california has a lot to do with not getting in lol... luckily for me I live in a state that has two schools that favor instate students and I have attended interviews for both of them, hopefully I get in with just one try.

I wouldnt wish your experience on anybody lol

Very inspiring! I love seeing people that don't give up on their dream! :thumbup:

I want to say congratulation but you just scared me ****less. I am in the mist of applying to medical school in the next couple of months and now I am more scared then ever from hearing your story!

What was your reason for not getting in till the third time? Can anyone give any feedback on this subject? Is it because he's from California??? His GPA + MCAT seem up to par to getting in...

Last edited:
What was your reason for not getting in till the third time? Can anyone give any feedback on this subject? Is it because he's from California??? His GPA + MCAT seem up to par to getting in...

It is what it is. - Dr. Eugene Billiot

California in state schools are extremely competitive. I have many friends who got into Uchicago, Northwestern, Columbia, Penn etc. but got flat out rejected from all UCs. I personally got into Pitt, Columbia, and Uchicago and interviewed at many other top places, but didn't even get a secondary from UCSF, no interview from UCLA, wait listed/rejected from UC davis (which I thought was a safety), wait listed/rejected at UCSD, and got into UC irvine and this was with a 3.7/39 from a top 5 undergrad and decent ECs.

Without in state schools to fallback on, its a total crapshoot when applying to out of state private schools. They get the most apps (e.g. BU w/ 11k), and it's hard to stand out with ok but not great numbers like the OP, especially if you're not from a top undergrad that makes them feel more prestigious by interviewing/accepting you.

California in state schools are extremely competitive. I have many friends who got into Uchicago, Northwestern, Columbia, Penn etc. but got flat out rejected from all UCs. I personally got into Pitt, Columbia, and Uchicago and interviewed at many other top places, but didn't even get a secondary from UCSF, no interview from UCLA, wait listed/rejected from UC davis (which I thought was a safety), wait listed/rejected at UCSD, and got into UC irvine and this was with a 3.7/39 from a top 5 undergrad and decent ECs.

Without in state schools to fallback on, its a total crapshoot when applying to out of state private schools. They get the most apps (e.g. BU w/ 11k), and it's hard to stand out with ok but not great numbers like the OP, especially if you're not from a top undergrad that makes them feel more prestigious by interviewing/accepting you.

Plus UCs don't like Californians...

Inspiring story though. I'm glad it finally worked out for you, OP.

Last edited:

Awesome. Thanks for your answer!

Last edited:
Strong Persistence OP. Congratulations!
Er78e.gif

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I pretty much fell to my knees and started crying when I got the news. It was one of the most gratifying experiences I have had in my entire life. I will never forget the journey I took in getting into medical school. Part of me still wonders if this is all a mistake.

For those who plan on reapplying/ applying feel free to ask me about what I did differently.
Either through pm or this thread.

Last edited:
Awesome story OP. When you look back I think you'll be grateful that you had to work so hard.

wow. congratulations!!! I didn't really know it was that hard.

Wow, I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now after your acceptance. Congratulations! It sounds like it is very well-deserved.

I'm so glad your persistence paid off. Congratulations!!!

Awesome! Looks like you were a little bit immature your first cycle and you gradually matured yourself and got that acceptance the 3rd time around.

From one successful reapplicant to another, congrats! It's tougher to get in as a re-app but definitely sweeter when you do get in! A lesson to many to never take anything for granted in this crazy med school application process....

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I pretty much fell to my knees and started crying when I got the news. It was one of the most gratifying experiences I have had in my entire life. I will never forget the journey I took in getting into medical school. Part of me still wonders if this is all a mistake.

For those who plan on reapplying/ applying feel free to ask me about what I did differently.
Either through pm or this thread.

Now turn down the acceptance to prove a point! ;)

Cool story, bro.

Just kidding. Congrats! Way to persevere.

Yup! Third time's the charm! That was my battle cry this round, and it worked!

I have been applying to medical school for the past 3 years.

This is my story.

Three years ago I submitted my first application and thought that this would be a piece of cake. All of my friends told me that I would get in for sure. I had a genius like reputation(not that I am), and people would joke to me about how I would end up at Harvard Medical School. Part of me began to believe it too ( although I knew I was nowhere near a top tier material). I was aiming for a mid tier school, but figured I would settle for a bottom tier school as well. With a 3.7c/sgpa, 31 MCAT, and strong ECS I thought I was set.

How foolish I was.....

I was high on the number of secondaries I was receiving that July. I figured I was really popular ( Only to realize later that secondaries are typically given just on numerical screens). I turned in 30 secondaries by August with anticipation and excitement. September came with silence. Felt numb by November. Disappointed by December. I had already graduated in August, and planned to sit on my butt and enjoy the rest of my year before medical school. I spent 4 months partying, and telling girls I was going to medical school. I went home happy on many nights, but ironically I ended up screwing myself. With my lifestyle I had nothing to add to my application.

For the New Year, I knew I would be reapplying. Sure enough I am rejected from all medical schools by May, even the low tier schools that I thought I was too good for. Rather than looking for a job, I overloaded on community service and clinical experience. I also retook the mcat for a 33. I wanted to jam pack everything for the next application cycle. At this point, the thought of taking another year off from medical school scared the hell out of me.

What a humbling year. Yet, I told myself that next cycle I would make it no matter what. Life became painful to bear knowing that I was a medical school reject. I hated telling people I did not get in this year. Humbling.

With a somewhat new application ( For the rest of the year, I spent 30 hrs/week+ on ECS, and a higher MCAT), I thought I would get in for sure on my second attempt. I applied to 35+ schools and turned in all my secondaries in July. I get my first interview in August, then another in September. I thought I must have done something right. Medical school seemed so close now. I nailed my interviews, but am left in silence for the coming months. I was as hopeful as I was last year after receiving all of those secondaries. By February I had racked up 6 interviews! I began to grossly fantasize about all of these medical schools wanting me and having to choose between them. I also made sure to tell other people I had 6 medical school interviews. Turns out I would get rejected by 2 post interview, and waitlisted by 4. Up until June I was still hopeful for an acceptance. No way I could not get in with 6 interviews I thought.

It happened. I failed to get in with 6 interviews.

All this time I am unemployed borrowing thousands of dollars from my parents.
The past two cycles made me feel like a loser. On top of that I had no job. I was not working. I went from having such a good reputation in college as the "smart one" to being a failure. I lived with my parents, had no job, and no medical school.

I broke down. What was I doing with my life?

It was June 2011, and I wasn't sure if I should turn in my primary application. I had continued my intense EC schedule but still had no employment. I owed my parents a lot of money, and was scared to borrow more. Around that time I was fortunate to find a full time job. I had lost all self confidence in my application and ultimately in myself. Yet, for some reason I applied. I decided to go for a third time. Maybe I was crazy. Maybe I was in denial. All I knew was that I wanted to be a doctor despite everything that told me I shouldn't.

I mustered up all my energy to push forward.I manage to submit my secondaries by the end of July. August and September roll by with silence... FML. Why did I apply again?
October rolls around with an interview invite, then magically I receive 4 interviews by November. Mid December I hear back from the school I interviewed at in November: Rejected. What a way to start the interview season.. I thought there was something wrong with my application at that point. I finish all of my interviews by January, and waited in silence.

Until today....

I FU#$%ING MADE IT. AFTER THREE LONG YEARS. ACCEPTED C/O 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

You are not alone. Just remember what you went through, and value what you have when you have it.

your story gives me hope - thank you very much for sharing this and congratulations

Congrats!!! Just an amazing example of how humble hard work go a long way. I can see how this experience will make you cherish everything you learn in your medical school years knowing what you went through to get there, and will make you that much of a better physician when all is said and done. I definitely reflect the sentiment going across this thread, not to take anything for granted in the admissions process. Nothing is automatic, no one is entitled, yet when something is earned through perseverance as in your case, it is truly rewarding.