Can a 1st or 2nd year PT list their class schedule and workload please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryowlbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am just looking for any current DPT or MPT students to list a sample class schedule and the their estimated hours studying. I will likely be on work-study for a number of reasons and I wanted to get an idea of my what my workload would look like.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1st Semester
6 credits of Anatomy
3 credits Physiology
2 Credits Introduction to Clinical Skills
2 credits of Principles of Practice I
14 credit hours and maybe around 3-6 hours studying/week; depending on if it was exams week or not.

2nd Semester
7 credits Foundations of Movement Science I
3 credits Neuroscience
1 credit Correlative Neuroscience
2 credits Exercise Phsyiology
13 credit hours and I do 2-3 hours of work every night this semester.

People in my program who were working said it was much easier to work last semester than it has been this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
First year- In class from 8 am-4 or 5 pm monday weds friday then in clinical tues thurs a week

Second year- In class from 8 am-3 or 4 pm three days a week clinical on mon fri
Third Year- 12 month full time clinical

All of my friends I lived with had full time jobs and in my experience PT school is equivalent to working full time (except you pay to do it haha).

Here's a list of my first year schedule:
Year 1- Fall Semester(20cr.)
Anatomy
Movement Science I
Pathopharmacology I
Exam & Systems Review I
Intervention Skills I
Physiology
Research I
Professional Management I

Year I - Spring Semester(21cr.)
Movement Science II/Biomechanics
Neuroscience I
Pathopharmacology II
Clinical Orthopedics
Exam & Systems Review II
Intervention Skills II
Clinical Experience I

Note: Additionally we have a summer academic schedule to before we go out on our full time clinical rotation which is about 13-15cr.

Like others have stated, I am typically in class from 8AM-5PM. So you are essentially paying the school to work full-time!:D. Everyone falls on a continuum of intellect. Some students need to study certain subjects more than others. Also, you will find that some students care about excelling more than others. It is difficult to work while in school. Can it be done? Sure, but many programs strongly discourage it while others outright forbid it! Hope this helps!

Fall Semester 17CR

Kinesiology
Anatomy
Professionalism and Ethics
Therapeutic Relations and Cultural Competency
Intro to Clinical Practice

Winter Semester 17 CR

Research Methods
Fundamental Tests and Measures
Teaching and Learning
Clinical Practice II
Neuroscience in Physical Therapy
Neurological Diseases and Disorders

Summer 14CR

Muscloskeletal Diseases and Disorders
Pharmacy in Practice
Electrotherapeutic and Physical Modalities
Literature Analysis in Evidence Based Practice

Hi, I am just looking for any current DPT or MPT students to list a sample class schedule and the their estimated hours studying. I will likely be on work-study for a number of reasons and I wanted to get an idea of my what my workload would look like.

Thanks

Here's my schedule from Fall Semester.

Attachments

• DPT I Fall 2011 Sched (Final2).doc
    197 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for sharing. I would be interested in knowing how are you finding PT school. Is it exactly what you expected, more challenging or not as difficult as expected? How do you find 1st year vs.2nd year? How does it compare to full-coursework in undergrad? I believe last year a few 1st year students were complaining about the transition. Has it gotten better?

Every semester is around 17 credit hours. There is 1-2 major classes that have a heavy workload and require studying everyday. I probably study anywhere from 15-30 hours a week outside of class. This includes reviewing, assignments, group projects, practicing in the dry lab, etc. I also do optional part time internships during my academic semesters, so that takes up an additional 4 hrs a week (there are also observations you have to do for classes).

To answer your most recent questions, it's pretty much what I expected. Some days are very stressful, but it's not always like that. It's doable. Not much changed between my 1st and 2nd year. Some semesters and more difficult but I can't say that there's a trend.

The main difference between PT school and undergrad is that you have to retain everything. Your classes are very much interrelated and they are set up to build off one another. You can't cram, you have to work hard and review during your breaks because future classes will be very difficult if you don't have the background knowledge under your belt. Not to mention, you have to know it for boards anyway haha.

I think if you're reviewing material every week and keeping on top of things, this is not a big issue. If you cram, it will be. Condense information from each unit so you have a good reference to look back to later. I use every break to my advantage and review some of my old classes to keep everything fresh in my head.

Oh, and I can say that my work study classmates never complain. Your professors understand your schedule and workload and will be very flexible with you.

Hope that answers your questions :)

Fall Semester - 22 credits
Anatomy (7)
Kinesiology and Biomechanics (5)
Applied Physioloy (2)
Theory/Application of Research (2)
Exam/Evaluation (3)
Professional Development (2)

Spring semester
Neuro (5)
Theory/Research II (3)
Kinesiology/Biomechanics II (2)
Histology/Pathology (2)
PT Procedures/Documentation (3)
Therepeutic Exercise (3)

Spring semester we also alternate spending Wednesdays in the clinic. I had 2 jobs in undergrad before grad school, and I can say now I'm glad I don't have a job because there just isn't enough time in the day. Some people in my class are trainers and on the weekends will do a session or two. Other people have gone through a babysitting service and babysit; which is nice because when the kids are sleeping is prime study time. I would say unless you could find something super flexible along those lines, it's hard to have a steady job. There are some work studies, they are only a couple hours a week once a week or doing stuff like setting up AV before class, keeping the practice labs open on the weekend before practicals, etc.

I will be a DPT student starting in July but here is what the beginning of my curriculum looks like

1-Summer - 4 credits
Gross Anatomy

2-Fall-17 credits
Kinesiology (3)
Pathophysiology I (3)
Professional Development I (1)
Critical Reasoning (1)
Examination & Measurement (3)
Examination & Intervention (3)
Clinical Inquiry (3)

Spring- 17 credits
Neuroscience (4)
Pathophysiology II (3)
Therapeutic Exercise (3)
Physical Agents (2)
Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy (3)
Clinical Inquiry II (2)

Summer 1:
Professionalism (3)
Human Anatomy (5)
Intervention 1: Procedures (3)
Clinical Inquiry 1: Research (2)
Kinesiology/Pathomechanics 1 (4)

Fall 2:
Evaluation (2)
Intervention 2: Physical Agents (2)
Critical inquiry 2: Biostats (2)
Physiology/Histology (5)
Kinesiology/Pathomechanics 2 (4)
Intervention 3: Therapeutic Exercise (2)

Spring 3:
Socio-cultural Aspects (1)
Evidence Based Practice 1 (2)
Current Concepts in Rehab (2)
Cardiopulmonary (3)
Musculoskeletal PT 1 (5)
Neuroscience (4)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!