What Will/Did Your Significant Other Do While You're In Professional School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Will/Did Your Significant Other Do While You're In Professional School?

• Working

Votes: 74 54.8%
  • Also going to school

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • Staying at home

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Other (or multiple options)

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • N/A (no SO)

Votes: 14 10.4%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is our better late than never February poll. For those who have been to professional school, what did your significant other do while you were in school? For those who haven't been yet, what will your SO be doing?

I was single in medical school, so N/A.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is staying at home and working part time...but he's also retired military so he's earned the right to relax. That just means I'll get healthy home-cooked meals during med school and residency. :)

My wife will be working through med school at least (and probably through my residency as well) and since she is a teacher, she will also have to be working toward her Masters. Fortunately, she can do her coursework online, so she won't have to be away 4 nights a week or anything like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
We'll be married by the time I start, so my wifey will be working as an attending somewhere near by. Possibly at wherever I'm attending! Lol get it?

My husband will be working full-time in a very demanding job that requires occasional travel. Fortunately, we will not need to move and he can continue in his current position.

I'm not in medical school yet, but my SO will continue to work. He works professionally in software development. If I end up having to move for medical school we will decide then if he's going to stay where he is and we'll have a distance relationship or if he will find a good, comparable job close by that he's fine with, he might move with me.

It's still 2 years off though, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

Not in yet just started taking UG classes again but mine is AD Army so he will either be working or deployed. if he is deployed I have amazing friends to help me out.

Wow, I'm in the same boat. Starting med school in august and my SO is currently searching for a job that he likes so he can move with me! (fingers crossed)

Wife is a freelance photographer, works from home whenever we feel the need for some extra cash.

But being a mother to our kids is like having 2 full time jobs. She got the more difficult end of the deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine worked nights the first two years of med school, then transitioned to working in the school where our kids attended. Made it very convenient for them when I was away from home third and fourth year. Now that I'm in residency, he went back to school to get his bachelor's degree.

Is it possible to live at home, while wife stays home raising kids, maybe part time work for her? Do we get enough loan to live off of while in school?

Reactions: 1 user
My husband will be working full time in IT and starting his bachelor's. My mom, my husband, and I will all be pitching in with the kids.

Things we've got going for us in this crazy situation: a very flexible job and a degree program that can be done online for my husband, a mom in the same city, a medical school <3 miles from our house, and a homebody personality.

this is an easy one. i only date high school chicks.

Is it possible to live at home, while wife stays home raising kids, maybe part time work for her? Do we get enough loan to live off of while in school?

Depends how well you budget, How large your family is, where you live, etc.

You can increase your COA to include daycare expenses up to a certain amount if your wife were to work out of the home.

I couldn't support a family off my loans/scholarships. All of my classmates with SO's/children have an additional source of income but I'm sure it has been done just through loans before.

My husband works full-time and is the primary caregiver to our 5-year old daughter.

My wife will be working. I'm really worried because I'm the primary bread winner. We'll definitely be cutting way back on things and I bet I'll have to take on a ton of loans. I hope everything works out alright.

Not in med school yet, but if I'm lucky enough my partner would be continuing to work full time. Right now I'm by far the primary breadwinner, so it'll be a big change if I get into medical school...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
She'll be finishing up her degree for the first year or two and then hopefully will find a postdoc thereafter.

My wife will be staying at home with the kids because I am doing the Navy HSCP Program. We will be living very comfortably. Our income will be well over 50k a year, my family will get full benefits including free to cheap-as-all-hell healthcare, and we will still be eligible for the same loans any other student is taking (unlike HPSP since it is technically a scholarship). Of course, I will have to repay the loans but they will be forgiven after 120 (10 years) of IBR payments which are very low payments. There is also legislation in the works that may push the number of payments to 60. Since I already have served 5 years in the military and my time in med school will count toward retirement, I will only owe 11 years before I can retire if I choose to do so. Not a bad deal but still waiting to be "selected"!

Me and my fiancée are in same college and in same year :laugh:

I actually selected "other" because my husband will be in the military. I guess I could have selected "working." Meh. Who knows...

Mine will be in residency.

By that point my husband will be finished with school and working on his Masters. Ideally he'll find a teaching job in or around the city of my chosen school. :xf: if not, we'll be working hard to make ends meet, but we'll make it.

Since the wife is a tad further along than I am and me working full time in my field and doing a Post Bac is pretty much out of the question then I'll be working while she attends school. Then hopefully after she's done I can start my journey.

My wife will be staying at home with our 6 month old. We figured, he is already barely going to see me, it is worth the budgeting and corner cutting to have her stay at home full-time. She is going to try to teach music lessons from home.

Not in med school yet, but when I get to that point...

option #1. He is still in the military and supporting us financially

option #2 He is working in the IT field somewhere supporting us financially

Husband is in the military, but we are long distance and must maintain separate households, which negates the financial benefits of him working, but we don't currently have another option.

Raising our two children hopefully near where I attend school. Preferably near one of our families. We will see what reality brings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile ap

I hope to start MS1 in 2015, and I would really like to have a child by then. If we can have a child (no luck so far), then my husband will stay home.

Otherwise, he'll keep working.

He's currently working two jobs and I'm at 20-30 hours per week right now. I intend to cut down to less than 20 hours per week next year so I can go to school full time.

Meh

Last edited: