*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Please remember that each thread has a search function in the header labeled "Search this Thread". Please use it to avoid repeating questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please use the TMDSAS Application site as your first resource for questions. The website has a list of FAQ's and plenty of other information.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Some of the Texas state schools are on AMCAS. Can I just use AMCAS to apply to them?

The Texas state schools on AMCAS are for MD/PhD applicants only. Baylor is the only medical school in Texas that uses AMCAS for regular MD applicants.

2. Does TMDSAS have a fee-assistance or fee-waiver program to help with application costs?

Unfortunately, no.

If you have more FAQ's you would like answered, feel free to send me a PM with the question and answer.

Applying to TMDSAS from OOS so I want to get things in as early as possible. I will have two transcripts to send in (transferred). Should I send in the transferred transcript now and send in the one from my current school when spring grades come out April 28th? Should I even wait for spring grades if they won't effect my GPA much, and can I even send in transcripts with applications not out yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to TMDSAS from OOS so I want to get things in as early as possible. I will have two transcripts to send in (transferred). Should I send in the transferred transcript now and send in the one from my current school when spring grades come out April 28th? Should I even wait for spring grades if they won't effect my GPA much, and can I even send in transcripts with applications not out yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the TMDSAS website says not to send in any transcripts until you have finished the [colleges attended] section. Since final grades come out before the application even opens, I would wait until you get to that section on the application before requesting the transcripts.

Ok, thanks for the input! Anyone have experience not attaching the request form to transcripts? I will be attaching one to my current university, but think it will be complicated to request for the university I transferred from.

TMDSAS has an announcement on their website that answers your question
2013 Application

The application for entry year 2013 will be available Tuesday, May 1, 2012.
Do NOT submit any supplemental materials for the 2013 application until after May 1st. Any materials received prior to that date will be returned to the applicant or the evaluator.
Spring 2012 grades (or winter 2012 grades if on a quarter system) must be reported on your application before you can submit your application. If you did not take Spring 2012 coursework, you can submit as early as May 1st.
Although you may be tempted to rush through the application and submit on May 1st, we strongly advise you to take your time and ensure that your application is complete and accurate before submitting.

I have a question which may be just as much an Intefolio question than anything. So, I am in the process of gathering letters, but I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. If I'm not mistaken, I will have my evaluators send their written letters plus the TMDSAS evaluation form to Interfolio. Is that correct? I know the evaluation form says to "send letters from evaluators directly to *TMDSAS address*". But if I'm using Interfolio, do I just tell my letter writers to ignore that and send it to the Interfolio address instead? Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Is there a most important activities section on the TMDSAS or is that just for AMCAS?

Is there any point in submitting my application within the first two weeks of May? I am an OOS applicant, so I want to get it in early. I noticed though that last year's UTSW thread didn't start to heat up until the end of May. Is there difference between, say, submitting on May 10th vs. May 25th?

Application for 2013 is now open!

Does anyone know if we have to report all non-TMDSAS schools we are applying to? It asks for this, but I haven't narrowed down my list and don't want to put 40 different schools!

What are people's thoughts on including three letters even though it says only two are required?

What are people's thoughts on including three letters even though it says only two are required?

I'm planning on doing three. My reason for doing so is because I have significant work, shadowing, and classwork. I want to have someone from each of those places weigh in. I don't think having one extra letter could be hurtful (assuming that the letter is a good one to begin with).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on doing three. My reason for doing so is because I have significant work, shadowing, and classwork. I want to have someone from each of those places weigh in. I don't think having one extra letter could be hurtful (assuming that the letter is a good one to begin with).

Those were my thoughts too.

Does anyone know why an AAMC ID is requested on the TMDSAS Transcript request form?

Those were my thoughts too.

Does anyone know why an AAMC ID is requested on the TMDSAS Transcript request form?

Probably to match up with your MCAT scores?

Another question...how do you enter a class that has zero credit hours (TMDSAS gives an error saying it must be greater than zero)? All of the physical education classes came with a letter grade but this grade was not factored into GPA (hence no credit hours).

Curious as to how far "family" goes in this question: "Are you a member of the first generation in your family to apply to, attend or graduate from a graduate or professional program?"

I am the first of my siblings, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc, but I do believe my dad's uncle went to medical school. Does that mean I am not the first in my family? How far does family extend in these kinds of questions?

Yo, great thread - hoping to get some questions answered since I just started filling it out today.

1. When filling out the list of non-TMDSAS schools, does it have to be accurate?

2. How are quarter and semester credits converted to credit hours? My transcript does not detail how to make this conversion.

3. I am currently enrolled in a one year masters program that is on a quarter system. Thus I've had my first two quarters from August - December and my final two quarters from January - May. However, how do I indicate four quarters when adding this school? It only gives me the options of Fall, Spring, Winter, Summer, Summer 1, and Summer 2. Which of my quarters should be labelled which?

4. I'm re-taking the MCAT in June. Although TMDSAS reviews apps earlier than AMCAS, will taking the June 21st MCAT (July 24th score report) impact my chances at all?

Thanks!!!

Is there any point in submitting my application within the first two weeks of May? I am an OOS applicant, so I want to get it in early. I noticed though that last year's UTSW thread didn't start to heat up until the end of May. Is there difference between, say, submitting on May 10th vs. May 25th?

Yes! submit it as early as possible! Though to be honest, those 2 weeks may not make a ton of difference I guess. I was an oos student back in the day. Most of the schools sent out their offers to ALL of their spots very early (20ish/class on average). This all pretty much means if you are interviewing any time after early november you are probably sitting on a waitlist, which blows. They do have a lot of movement later in the season, but it blows waiting until March or April when you might have gotten in much much earlier. I wouldn't risk it, just get the thing in as early as possible.

Yes! submit it as early as possible! Though to be honest, those 2 weeks may not make a ton of difference I guess. I was an oos student back in the day. Most of the schools sent out their offers to ALL of their spots very early (20ish/class on average). This all pretty much means if you are interviewing any time after early november you are probably sitting on a waitlist, which blows. They do have a lot of movement later in the season, but it blows waiting until March or April when you might have gotten in much much earlier. I wouldn't risk it, just get the thing in as early as possible.

However, if we're waiting on grades for the spring term, we are unable to submit until the grade is posted, correct?

In the first few questions indicating if I was first to apply/graduate undergrad or apply/graduate professional/graduate school, are they referring to my immediate family? The second set explicitly states household/immediate family but I'm unsure about the first portion? As far as my household, then "Yes", but if not. Thanks. I guess I can call.

However, if we're waiting on grades for the spring term, we are unable to submit until the grade is posted, correct?

I'm fuzzy on the details, but remember submitting my app with courses I hadn't completed yet, and just updating them later on. These were not the "required" pre-reqs, so if those are the grades you are waiting on it could make a difference.

When entering information in the "Planned Activities" section, I have a question:

In the previous sections, I put things like employment as ending at July 2013 (that is when I would stop if accepted). I also put some leisure activities as ending as December 2020 and made a note that I was going to continue them as long as possible.

On the planned activities section, it only lets you put something if the start date is in 2012. So is the planned activities section only for things that I'm going to START in 2012 or 2013? The wording makes it sound like I'm supposed to include any activities that I'm planning on doing between now and August 2013 (which would technically include my ongoing employment and leisure activities, etc.)

Any ideas?

Is anyone having trouble editing the Colleges attended/ College Coursework section of the application? I'm a reapplicant and accadently listed a school twice and cannot delete one of the listings. In the colleges attended screen, when I press the remove button, the college is not removed. Can someone help please???

Schools prefer only 2 per Application Instructions. I emailed TMDSAS since I have 3 years of full time employment experience, with both hospital and retail locations. I'm a non-trad and I'm only submitting 2.

1) I have a doctor of pharmacy degree. Under salutation, should I put "Dr."? Even though this is my official title, I do not want any adcoms to think that I call myself a "doctor" in a professional setting. I do not say "This is Dr. blah blah", I just say my first name.

2) Under high school class size, do you put the number of starting out or the number that graduate?

Quick question...

I came into my university with >32 credit hours and was thus listed as a sophomore. I understand TMDSAS has a specific section for courses done prior to coming into college, but do those count as your total hours for the next academic status hours?

For example, if I list my dual-credit/AP hours earned as Pre-Freshman. Should I begin to listen the courses I took as a first-year as Freshman or Sophomore (since I would have >32 hours at this point).

quick question, does courses categorized as other science count towards your science GPA? for example Astrology?

So I'm a reapplicant looking to make some major changes to my application.... I basically want to redo the whole thing. I want to wipe my appicaiton completely clean and re-enter all the info... everything. Has anyone done this? Did you just call TMDSAS and ask them to clear the entire old application?

My question: For those who have done the TMDSAS, if your are going to use the optional essay should you use all 2500 characters? My essay is only 1250 for this section, so I'm not sure if I should even use it.

I'll try to answer a few here too, since there doesn't seem to be many past TMDSAS applicants coming on here:

Got Em -
1) I wouldn't. Putting down the degree will tell them all they need to know about it, the prefix might come off poorly.
2) Graduating class.

REPTAR -
Not following your train of thought here, sorry.

hollowMD -
Yes

My school has a committee letter of recommendation. They have 6 recommendation letters for me from professors, supervisors, etc. and write their own cover letter thing in addition to sending the attached individual letters.

Should i have my school send the entire committee packet or contact 2/3 individuals who wrote me letters and ask them to send them individually?

Send the committee packet. If you don't, and your school offers it, schools will question your reasoning.

If you listed "volunteering" activities in the "Community Service" section, do you list this again in the "Extracurricular" section? I hate the fact that they put TMDSAS "strongly" encourages you to put events in multiple categories.

My question: For those who have done the TMDSAS, if your are going to use the optional essay should you use all 2500 characters? My essay is only 1250 for this section, so I'm not sure if I should even use it.

I'll try to answer a few here too, since there doesn't seem to be many past TMDSAS applicants coming on here:

Got Em -
1) I wouldn't. Putting down the degree will tell them all they need to know about it, the prefix might come off poorly.
2) Graduating class.

REPTAR -
Not following your train of thought here, sorry.

hollowMD -
Yes

Both of my optional essays are going to be no more than 1500 characters. I also have a recently accepted friend who had optional essays with ~1200 characters. I don't think falling well below the maximum on these is detrimental by any means.

Since my study abroad program's coursework shows up on my university transcript, I didn't put it down as a school I attended. So it's okay to list my home university for the school I "attended" during the semester I studied abroad. Is that correct?

Ex. I studied at University of London Fall 2011, normally at Wayne State; since it shows up on my transcript U of L isn't on my transcript. So I list Wayne State for Fall 2011.

Thanks much!

Is it true that this cycle we're only being required to provide 2 letters of recommendation instead of 3?

Sorry here is what I meant to say - I've been having trouble figuring out my academic year to put down for my courses. Basically I matriculated into my university with 32 hours (20AP, 12 dual credit).

The courses I first began at my University would be considered my sophomore year since I have 32 credit hours already. Should I list these courses as sophomore or freshman (since it was my first year at my university)?

Are you graduating in three? If you're graduating in four (i.e. 7-8 semesters) I'd put it as a freshman. Don't think its a problem either way though.

Under which pull down menu would I list a CNA course i took as a continuing education class. On my unofficial transcript it just shows I received 96 credit hours but there was no grade for the class? The closest drop down menu item i see is Distant Learning/Online class.

Did you take the course physically in a room? Or was it online? You can select regular course/online/whichever it is, and then just "Credit" for the grade.

What would be considered a "challenging experience" for the second optional essay? I'm trying to figure out what exactly they are asking for...

Sorry here is what I meant to say - I've been having trouble figuring out my academic year to put down for my courses. Basically I matriculated into my university with 32 hours (20AP, 12 dual credit).

The courses I first began at my University would be considered my sophomore year since I have 32 credit hours already. Should I list these courses as sophomore or freshman (since it was my first year at my university)?

I was in a similar situation when I applied. I think they have a Pre-Freshman option - that's what I put for all classes before actually starting college, and then I put "Freshman" for my first year courses even though I came in with ~30 hrs. I don't think it will be a big deal either way.

As for the two optional essays, I can't really say what you should write them on. But when I met with one of the directors of admission for a TX school before applying last year, I was told to make sure I write each of them because many students leave them out and that's a mistake.

I accidentally have two AAMC IDs-- one that I got when I registered for the MCAT, and another that I got by registering for my AMCAS account. AMCAS said they would merge my IDs after I took the MCAT on May 31st. Which ID should I put down on my TMDSAS application? I was hoping to submit the TMDSAS this month and not have to wait until the end of May. Thanks for your help.

Any tips for the two optional essays?

definitely do them! having only your personal statement as an essay does not really tell the school a whole lot about you. For the first, try think of something that makes you diverse/unique. This doesn't have to mean diversity in a typical sense, maybe you have some experience/attribute that would help you bring something unique to your med school class.

I'm fuzzy on the details, but remember submitting my app with courses I hadn't completed yet, and just updating them later on. These were not the "required" pre-reqs, so if those are the grades you are waiting on it could make a difference.

As of now, the application states that you cannot submit until spring grades are in.

When entering information in the "Planned Activities" section, I have a question:

In the previous sections, I put things like employment as ending at July 2013 (that is when I would stop if accepted). I also put some leisure activities as ending as December 2020 and made a note that I was going to continue them as long as possible.

On the planned activities section, it only lets you put something if the start date is in 2012. So is the planned activities section only for things that I'm going to START in 2012 or 2013? The wording makes it sound like I'm supposed to include any activities that I'm planning on doing between now and August 2013 (which would technically include my ongoing employment and leisure activities, etc.)

Any ideas?

I found this answer reading last year's thread, so I was going to follow that (haven't talked to TMDSAS). Posters there said to list any continuing activities also in your planned section. From what I understand overlap is okay.

1) I have a doctor of pharmacy degree. Under salutation, should I put "Dr."? Even though this is my official title, I do not want any adcoms to think that I call myself a "doctor" in a professional setting. I do not say "This is Dr. blah blah", I just say my first name.

2) Under high school class size, do you put the number of starting out or the number that graduate?

1. You don't have to select a salutation, so I'd probably skip that if I were you. I think it's more of how you want to be addressed. I didn't select one.

2. Graduating number

ETA - Sorry, just saw this was already answered!

If you listed "volunteering" activities in the "Community Service" section, do you list this again in the "Extracurricular" section? I hate the fact that they put TMDSAS "strongly" encourages you to put events in multiple categories.

I think the overlap allows for your discretion, but I personally wouldn't think those would overlap. I am defining Extracurricular as things you like to do in your spare time, like scuba diving.

Since my study abroad program's coursework shows up on my university transcript, I didn't put it down as a school I attended. So it's okay to list my home university for the school I "attended" during the semester I studied abroad. Is that correct?

Ex. I studied at University of London Fall 2011, normally at Wayne State; since it shows up on my transcript U of L isn't on my transcript. So I list Wayne State for Fall 2011.

Thanks much!

You list it under your home school. When you are entering, you can then select SA (Study Abroad) under the drop-down class type.