*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for 2013 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2013) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Allo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ, both here in this thread AND on the AMCAS website! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-allo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

For your reference, last year's thread is available here.

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it before asking your question by clicking the "Search this Thread" button near the top of the page.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a non-science professor. If you have done research, a letter from your PI is also recommended, especially at research-intensive schools. (If you know of any exceptions to this rule, feel free to post in this thread with citations and I will add them). Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well, a letter from a physician you shadowed/worked with who knows your skills well, a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website. A copy of an XLS spreadsheet from 2010 is attached to this post. The accuracy of this spreadsheet is unknown so be sure to check individual school websites! Keep in mind that a committee letter usually overrides any specific school requirements listed on the spreadsheet.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. Do your homework, buy an MSAR (I hear from this thread that the way to go is to buy online access because the hard copy is not as useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=811023), and look at the school websites. Also, AMCAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/ You can get a rough idea from the attached XLS spreadsheet but check school websites to confirm.
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?

The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?

The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AMCAS?
Once the application opens in May, you may begin submitting letters to AMCAS. Before you can mail a letter in, you must "create' the letter in your AMCAS application. This involves you telling AMCAS who the letter writer is and naming the letter in AMCAS. AMCAS will then give this letter an ID number. It is important for you to give your letter writer both your AMCAS ID number and the Letter ID number to avoid any snafus with lost letters. Your letter writer can then mail the letter into AMCAS with these two pieces of information, and the letter will be uploaded to your file and will be available to assign to any school you wish. I am told that while AMCAS will accept documents without your AMCAS ID on them, you MUST have the Letter ID or AMCAS will not accept it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not this is true.

You can create and submit letters at any time, including after you submit your application and after you are verified. This is one of the few parts of the application you can edit after submission.

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AMCAS application?

NO! You can submit your application without assigning letters. Again, this is one of the few parts of the application that can be altered later. HOWEVER, once you assign a letter to a school, you CANNOT un-assign it. If the letter is present in AMCAS, and you assign it to a school, it WILL go to that school. However, if you "create" the letter in AMCAS, assign it to a school, but your letter writer never sends the letter in, you can notify AMCAS (and the school, through the AMCAS application) that the letter will no longer be sent.

6. How many schools use the AMCAS Letter service?
This year, it looks like all but 5 schools that participate in AMCAS are participating in the letter service. Those non-participating schools are:
Duke University
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicinein Shreveport
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Universidad Central Del Caribe
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

The participating schools can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. AMCAS can only hold a maximum of 10 letters for you. If you need a minimum of 3 letters for each school, these slots will be used up rather quickly.

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to AMCAS once the application opens. When you do this, you have the ability to add on both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to the letter. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ding_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. OMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?

No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right. If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

13. If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

Please send me a PM if you know of additional questions suitable for the FAQ.

Attachments

• Medical School LOR Requirements.xls
    136 KB · Views: 1,757
Last edited:
I'm slightly confused. I was under the impression that letter writers could submit letters to Interfolio at anytime and then you could send them to amcas come May 1st. But I have been looking over the amcas instruction manual (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf) and on page 58 it says this

Interfolio: AMCAS can receive letters sent to Interfolio if you are an Interfolio user or your institution uses Interfolio to deliver letters of evaluation. Authors should add the appropriate AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in their Interfolio account, as these IDs must accompany your letter in order for your letter to be matched with your application. Specific instructions are provided below.

1) Does your letter writer have to include your amcas ID when they submit the letter to interfolio or can I add that at a later date?

2) To this same point kinda, can I use the letters that were sent to amcas through interfolio as additional letters to send directly to TMDSAS schools if they take additional letters (beyond the three TMDSAS will store and forward for you)? or are they going to need to include my TMDSAS ID on them that I will not be able to add?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Does your letter writer have to include your amcas ID when they submit the letter to interfolio or can I add that at a later date?

2) To this same point kinda, can I use the letters that were sent to amcas through interfolio as additional letters to send directly to TMDSAS schools if they take additional letters (beyond the three TMDSAS will store and forward for you)? or are they going to need to include my TMDSAS ID on them that I will not be able to add?

Thanks!

1. Yes. You can add that later when you send the letter to AMCAS from interfolio.

2. Don't know enough about TMDSAS.

Yup, Interfolio lets you attach both the necessary AAMC ID and the AMCAS Letter ID to the letter long after it has been written and submitted. It's quick, easy, and convenient.

I had my letter writers send a hard copy to Interfolio, and the only thing they had to do was write the letter on their letterhead, and include a special Interfolio barcode page that I already printed out and gave to them.

While I did not participate in TMDSAS, I did apply to another state that is non-AMCAS (North Dakota) and Interfolio let me include whatever identifiers that North Dakota needed instead. I'm certain Interfolio accommodates TMDSAS as well so you can reuse your letters if you wish.

It's really a slick system and I was a very satisfied customer.

I am doing research this summer 2012 with a med school professor and more research with a different medical school professor in fall 2012. Is it ok if I get LOR from them and have them be sent to interfolio even though I don't plan on applying to med school until 2014? I would also have recent scIence and non science letters when I apply. The two med school professors letters would be over two years old though when I apply. Is it ok to use those two year old LOR?

I have already asked professors, physicians, etc for my letters but I am still a bit confused. Do med schools look at LOR with the primary application or secondaries? Thank for clearing this up.

Also, when should I set the deadline for my letters to be submitted to Interfolio?

If I'm not 100% sure on taking a gap year yet, can I still ask for recommendations now, have my premed office hold them and then still use them next year in the event that I do take a gap year? Or will they not be valid by then?

I'm planning to ask my professor from this upcoming quarter for a Letter of rec. Unfortunately, he won't be able to observe my academic ability until the quarter ends in June. If i'm not submitting my application untily the beginning of August, at what point during/at the end of the quarter should I ask him for an LOR? It's for a non-science class. Thankst

Members don't see this ad :)
you only need LORs to send with secondaries, right? so getting them all by early july would be OK?

I thought thy wr rquird with your mcat and gpa to b verifid or complt right?

I'm planning to ask my professor from this upcoming quarter for a Letter of rec. Unfortunately, he won't be able to observe my academic ability until the quarter ends in June. If i'm not submitting my application untily the beginning of August, at what point during/at the end of the quarter should I ask him for an LOR? It's for a non-science class. Thankst

you only need LORs to send with secondaries, right? so getting them all by early july would be OK?
ReptarBar is correct. Your LORs are part of your secondary application not your primary app. So if you are submitting your primary app at the beginning of Aug, you'll have a ~4 week wait until you are verified. Realistically your professor has until September to submit his/her LOR.

I would ask the professor midway through the class or later (after you get to know him and he's seen a few test scores). That way the professor knows you well enough to say "Yes I would be more than happy to provide you a glowing LOR" and you can sleep peacefully at night ;). Your professor should also have enough time to send in the recommendation without feeling rushed

I thought thy wr rquird with your mcat and gpa to b verifid or complt right?
The only one of those three (MCAT, LORs, and transcripts) that you need to have before you can be verified is your transcripts so AMCAS can calculate your GPA. You'll want your MCAT score pretty fast though because most schools won't send you a secondary without it

How long is too long for a LOR? I have searched this topic and have been unable to make a conclusion.

I have known my PI for two years and he has also taught me in two upper division courses. So clearly, we have a very long and deep relationship and he can make some very meaningful comments about me. He has asked me how long his LOR should be. I simply replied that it was up to him. In the past, his LORs for various research-related applications have been 1 page, single-spaced. I have a feeling that since he's going to add-on specific comments for medical school, he could easily make it 1.5-2 pages single-spaced. However, I doubt that it's going to reach 2 full pages. What should I tell him?

On one hand, since he has known me and my research so well, his "lengthy" LOR should be filled with substance. However, I don't want whoever is reading it to get bored and lost. I don't know how he writes--I hope he doesn't have a habit of rambling haha.

Is there a suggested plan of action when it comes to approaching a professor you got an A from, but don't know. I'm thinking of proceeding, initially, through emails?

Thanks for the help. :)

some questions:
1) Initially, should I email them an electronic version of a "LOR packet" or just a PDF of my personal statement?
2) Is it too forward to mention that I would be willing to help draft an outline for the professor?
3) Obviously, I'm not expecting such a LOR to be stellar, but is there anyway to help ensure that they are at least decent?
*Ideally, I'd want the LOR to be focused on my ability to succeed, academically, in medicine. (I had some financial/family issues earlier in college, but since have had a strong upward trend.)

Is there a suggested plan of action when it comes to approaching a professor you got an A from, but don't know. I'm thinking of proceeding, initially, through emails?

Thanks for the help. :)

some questions:
1) Initially, should I email them an electronic version of a "LOR packet" or just a PDF of my personal statement?
2) Is it too forward to mention that I would be willing to help draft an outline for the professor?
3) Obviously, I'm not expecting such a LOR to be stellar, but is there anyway to help ensure that they are at least decent?
*Ideally, I'd want the LOR to be focused on my ability to succeed, academically, in medicine. (I had some financial/family issues earlier in college, but since have had a strong upward trend.)

I would recommend emailing the professor asking them if you could meet to discuss a LOR. At this meeting bring everything(I brought: transcript, PS, LOR paperwork for my school and other things) and start the meeting by asking if they can write you a strong letter of recommendation. If they seem anything other than happy about agreeing to write you a letter of recommendation then I suggest you find another professor.

I think 2) is too direct - when you talk with them though you can always try to push the conversation in a certain direction.

would you guys ask your prospective LOR writers in person or send an email to them all first?

Hello! I apologize in advance if this question has already been posted...

I was planning on applying last year but decided not to. As such, I already have all of my LOR in Interfolio ready to be sent to AMCAS. However, since I'm applying THIS year, would the letter IDs for each letter and my applicant ID change? I really don't want to bother my letter writers with going through the whole process of submitting again, so I want to be very sure of this.

Thanks so much! :)

It seems that a lot of people recommend providing a professor with your personal statement when asking them to write an LOR. If I haven't written mine yet should I hold off on asking until I write it even though it will give them less notice?

Hello everyone!

I'm a fourth year and want to ask my professor from whose class I took the end of my sophomore year (Physics) for a letter of rec. I went to every office hour and she knew my name by the end of the semester. I worked very hard in the class (since physics is my weak point) and got an A-.

HOWEVER, I haven't talked to her a while, but I know if she sees me she'll recognize me. I'm going to email her if she can write a "great" letter of rec for me, but should I even ask her since I haven't talked to her a long time (we're talking almost 2 yr - she's not a full time professor anyway)? It will be awkward but I'll send my resume/cv to let her know what I have been up too and hopefully meet with her . I'm just scared she can't write a strong one.

( 'm a non science major, so obviously the majority of my bcmp courses were my first 2 years..)

Last edited:
OK well since there wasn't an actual question in your post, I'll just share my thoughts on your situation. I was in a somewhat similar situation as you (I needed one more basic science letter and most of my premed classes were 200+ students), and yeah, it was a little awkward to email the prof over a year after taking his class, but he was really cool about it. In the email, I suggested to meet with him just to talk a bit. He was really supportive about the whole thing, I met with him, we talked for like 15-20 minutes, and he wrote his LOR based on that. During my premed committee, I was told that two of my letters were very strong -- his wasn't one of these that were mentioned. I suspect that his LOR was mediocre, i.e. he didn't say bad things, but it wasn't anything special either. Everyone's situation will be a little different, but you probably shouldn't expect her letter to be a strong letter. Strong letters come from people who really know you, like you, and want to do whatever they can to help you succeed. If you have other choices for letter writers, then by all means ask her if she would be able to write you a strong LOR to convince medical school admissions why you'd be a strong candidate for their program. She should know what you mean by this, and if she says no, move on to the next one. A mediocre letter shouldn't hold you back. A bad one will. Good luck!

Hopefully others share their thoughts on this matter since I admit I know very little about med school admissions lol.

Edit: A mediocre letter shouldn't hold you back -- assuming your other letters are strong!

Last edited:
I am also in a similar situation, but on this case, I am a biochem major and am planning on asking a non-science professor for an LOR. But I haven't taken a non-science class for well over a year, and I have two professors (one English and one psychology) that I'm planning to ask. My problem is that I have not seen/talked to them for more than a year now. I also feel awkward, but I've done stellar in their classes. I am just hoping that they still remember me. I am also worried they might write me a mediocre non-science LOR.

Btw, is a psychology LOR considered non-science LOR or science LOR?

I will be transferring from my cc to university in about 1 year. I am taking Gen Chem series now, and have gotten to know my professor well.

Question is, should I ask for a letter of rec from my professor, and should I do it through interfolio, because I am transferring and then that gives me a way of keeping it?

I don't know how it works... help.

Hello everyone!

I'm a fourth year and want to ask my professor from whose class I took the end of my sophomore year (Physics) for a letter of rec. I went to every office hour and she knew my name by the end of the semester. I worked very hard in the class (since physics is my weak point) and got an A-.

HOWEVER, I haven't talked to her a while, but I know if she sees me she'll recognize me. I'm going to email her if she can write a "great" letter of rec for me, but should I even ask her since I haven't talked to her a long time (we're talking almost 2 yr - she's not a full time professor anyway)? It will be awkward but I'll send my resume/cv to let her know what I have been up too and hopefully meet with her . I'm just scared she can't write a strong one.

( 'm a non science major, so obviously the majority of my bcmp courses were my first 2 years..)

I completely agree with jesse120 as I did the same thing for one of my letters. IMO, the most diplomatic way to get this letter (or any letter, for that matter) is to refrain from asking for a letter of recommendation through email. If you are unable to meet with them, that's a different story. Once you sit down and talk it up with her about applying to medical school and your cv/resume, go ahead and ask. Since you went to her office hours she knows you by name and probably already has a decent idea of what type of student you are. After talking with her she should have a better idea of what you are about and go with that for writing your letter. Don't forget to send a thank you note/email after she uploads it to whatever letter service you are using.

Best of luck to you!

Hello everyone!

OK well since there wasn't an actual question in your post, I'll just share my thoughts on your situation. I was in a somewhat similar situation as you (I needed one more basic science letter and most of my premed classes were 200+ students), and yeah, it was a little awkward to email the prof over a year after taking his class, but he was really cool about it. In the email, I suggested to meet with him just to talk a bit. He was really supportive about the whole thing, I met with him, we talked for like 15-20 minutes, and he wrote his LOR based on that. During my premed committee, I was told that two of my letters were very strong -- his wasn't one of these that were mentioned. I suspect that his LOR was mediocre, i.e. he didn't say bad things, but it wasn't anything special either. Everyone's situation will be a little different, but you probably shouldn't expect her letter to be a strong letter. Strong letters come from people who really know you, like you, and want to do whatever they can to help you succeed. If you have other choices for letter writers, then by all means ask her if she would be able to write you a strong LOR to convince medical school admissions why you'd be a strong candidate for their program. She should know what you mean by this, and if she says no, move on to the next one. A mediocre letter shouldn't hold you back. A bad one will. Good luck!

Hopefully others share their thoughts on this matter since I admit I know very little about med school admissions lol.

Edit: A mediocre letter shouldn't hold you back -- assuming your other letters are strong!

I am also in a similar situation, but on this case, I am a biochem major and am planning on asking a non-science professor for an LOR. But I haven't taken a non-science class for well over a year, and I have two professors (one English and one psychology) that I'm planning to ask. My problem is that I have not seen/talked to them for more than a year now. I also feel awkward, but I've done stellar in their classes. I am just hoping that they still remember me. I am also worried they might write me a mediocre non-science LOR.

Btw, is a psychology LOR considered non-science LOR or science LOR?
I completely agree with jesse120 as I did the same thing for one of my letters. IMO, the most diplomatic way to get this letter (or any letter, for that matter) is to refrain from asking for a letter of recommendation through email. If you are unable to meet with them, that's a different story. Once you sit down and talk it up with her about applying to medical school and your cv/resume, go ahead and ask. Since you went to her office hours she knows you by name and probably already has a decent idea of what type of student you are. After talking with her she should have a better idea of what you are about and go with that for writing your letter. Don't forget to send a thank you note/email after she uploads it to whatever letter service you are using.

Best of luck to you!
Merging with LOR thread

I will be transferring from my cc to university in about 1 year. I am taking Gen Chem series now, and have gotten to know my professor well.

Question is, should I ask for a letter of rec from my professor, and should I do it through interfolio, because I am transferring and then that gives me a way of keeping it?

I don't know how it works... help.
Merging with LOR questions thread

If you are afraid he/she will forget you then Interfolio is a great option. If you trust the professor to hold on to the letter, you could have him/her write it now and send it to AMCAS when you're ready to apply

Your letters will most likely not be looked at until you have submitted your secondary. After they receive your secondary they will begin to review your completed file (including your letters) to determine whether or not to send an interview invitation. However, some D.O. schools (LECOM) will extend an interview invitation after receiving the secondary and prior to receiving your letters.

Since you are using Interfolio, keep in mind that it takes time to send letters to an application service, upload them, then have each school download them for your file. So as soon as you receive a letter, send it off. If you are applying MD, it would be loads easier to just have them upload the letter directly to AMCAS that way there is no lag between Interfolio-AMCAS. I applied MD and DO and kept everything separate. Direct upload to AMCAS for MD (obviously) and Interfolio --> each D.O. school.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I am doing research this summer 2012 with a med school professor and more research with a different medical school professor in fall 2012. Is it ok if I get LOR from them and have them be sent to interfolio even though I don't plan on applying to med school until 2014? I would also have recent scIence and non science letters when I apply. The two med school professors letters would be over two years old though when I apply. Is it ok to use those two year old LOR?

Good question. I don't think schools state this clearly enough on their websites. They tell you how old an MCAT can be, but not a letter.

First and foremost: I would contact the medical school and ask them directly. They will be able to tell you what their standards are for letters.

If they don't care that it is two years old, then voila, there's your answer. If they want it to be written closer to when you are applying, then you have options:

a) Wait

b) You could have your letter writers upload it Summer/Fall 2012, respectively, and then edit/re-date the letter (if possible) when it is time to submit your application(s).

c) I wasn't going to say it because I don't know how legit it is, but for completeness: you may be able to ask the letter writers to date the letter for the future. I don't know if med school see when the letter was uploaded to Interfolio, but this could solve your problem so you don't have to worry about it. I don't know if this is appropriate or not- just wanted to throw it out there.

Personally, I would either wait or ask them to send it in and edit it when necessary. But above all, call the school(s).

Good luck!

Your letters will most likely not be looked at until you have submitted your secondary. After they receive your secondary they will begin to review your completed file (including your letters) to determine whether or not to send an interview invitation. However, some D.O. schools (LECOM) will extend an interview invitation after receiving the secondary and prior to receiving your letters.

Since you are using Interfolio, keep in mind that it takes time to send letters to an application service, upload them, then have each school download them for your file. So as soon as you receive a letter, send it off. If you are applying MD, it would be loads easier to just have them upload the letter directly to AMCAS that way there is no lag between Interfolio-AMCAS. I applied MD and DO and kept everything separate. Direct upload to AMCAS for MD (obviously) and Interfolio --> each D.O. school.

Yep. I appreciate the advice

I don't think the age of your letters matters.
I applied this cycle (2011-2012) with letters from
2006 (1)
2008-2009 (3)
2011 (1)

Date of letter doesn't matter. It's better to get it quickly so that the docs remember you when they write it. Try to get the letter after you spent a good amount of time with them so they know you but not too late that you'll have trouble following up with them if they haven't written it.

Merging with LOR questions thread.

Moving to pre-allo.

Good question. I don't think schools state this clearly enough on their websites. They tell you how old an MCAT can be, but not a letter.

First and foremost: I would contact the medical school and ask them directly. They will be able to tell you what their standards are for letters.

If they don't care that it is two years old, then voila, there's your answer. If they want it to be written closer to when you are applying, then you have options:

a) Wait

b) You could have your letter writers upload it Summer/Fall 2012, respectively, and then edit/re-date the letter (if possible) when it is time to submit your application(s).

c) I wasn't going to say it because I don't know how legit it is, but for completeness: you may be able to ask the letter writers to date the letter for the future. I don't know if med school see when the letter was uploaded to Interfolio, but this could solve your problem so you don't have to worry about it. I don't know if this is appropriate or not- just wanted to throw it out there.

Personally, I would either wait or ask them to send it in and edit it when necessary. But above all, call the school(s).

Good luck!

I don't think the age of your letters matters.
I applied this cycle (2011-2012) with letters from
2006 (1)
2008-2009 (3)
2011 (1)

Date of letter doesn't matter. It's better to get it quickly so that the docs remember you when they write it. Try to get the letter after you spent a good amount of time with them so they know you but not too late that you'll have trouble following up with them if they haven't written it.

Merging with LOR questions thread.

I have already asked professors, physicians, etc for my letters but I am still a bit confused. Do med schools look at LOR with the primary application or secondaries? Thank for clearing this up.

Also, when should I set the deadline for my letters to be submitted to Interfolio?

Yep. I appreciate the advice

I have heard that my state school likes to see a letter of recc from each of your three "significant" experiences from your AMCAS activities. One of those for me is working with an activist street medic collective that provided first aid support at demonstrations. I am probably going to polish the language to sound less political. But that aside, I did some great work and collaboratively designed & taught a 20-hour first aid curriculum to community activists & organizers several times, and I think it makes for a great leadership experience.

But for the letter, this basically amounts to asking one of my friends for a letter of recc. Is that frowned on?

Also, what if out of nowhere my professor writes a mean LOR? Again, I was a great student but maybe I'm just being paranoid.. what if she says she'll write a "strong" LOR but does the opposite because she's sick (and I have no idea)? That's why I don't want to waive my right (so I can view) but majority SDN says to waive your rights (which is what I will end up doing).

I need to email a profess I haven't had a class with since 2006 to arrange a meeting where I will ask for a letter. Should I tell him straight-up in the email the meeting will be about a letter, or should I beat around the bush and make the topic a mystery? I mean, if I mention I want to talk with him about medical schools, he's going to know anyway what I want, so I think I might as well just do it and tell him.

Last edited:
i don't think you need to attach a resume. i would bring one when you meet him/her, though.

Last edited:
OK would anyone make changes to this?

Hi Dr._____,

My name is ______, I was a student in your class "_______" in fall of 2006. I graduated from ________ with a BS in Biology in 2009, and I have been working at a research lab in __________ as a research assistant since 2010.

I'm writing to you because I will be applying to medical schools this application cycle (summer 2012), and most schools will require a recommendation letter from a non-science faculty member. I got an A in your course, and I think the topic of the class would pique the interest of many schools.

I was hoping we could arrange a meeting sometime in the next few days or weeks, where we would be able to talk more about this in person instead of through email. Among other things, we could talk about the work in your class, my motivations for medical school, my current work, or anything that interests you.

Please get back to me if a meeting is something that would interest you. I am an the area and should be available any day from 8:00AM to evening.

Regards,
Butt Phuck

Would anyone recommend changes? Also, do you think I should attach a resume to this?

:smuggrin:

Regarding non-science LOR, is a psychology LOR considered non-science?

Questions about how to structure/package my LORs.

#1. I finished a post bac program last spring and have my committee letter with LORs from that program lined up. The director of the post-bac program noted he would revise and update my committee letter to include my activities this past year (which includes some research work through a university affiliated lab in another geographic location from where I did my post-bac). My question is this: do I need to ask my LOR writer who is the head of the research lab associated with a UC school to submit the LOR to my post bac director to include in my committee letter? Or can I ask the head of the lab to submit my LOR as an individual letter (since I am no longer in the post-bac program)?

#2. I graduated from undergrad a number of years ago and have asked 2 professors from my undergrad to write letters in support of my application. One is from someone I knew very well and I know will write a strong letter for me. The other is from the "pre-med advisor" at my undergrad institution who I didn't know well but is very happy to help me out and write a letter for me (I was not a science major in undergrad so did not take any of his classes). *I do not believe my undergrad institution does a committee letter but am not sure... My question is this: should I have each professor submit a separate individual LOR through AMCAS?

Thank you for any input or advice!

I am in a predicament and I don't know what to do. I have 1 letter of rec from my orgo lab TA. I am getting one from my microbiology professor as well. Is the orgo lab TA ok? I have 2 microbiology teachers (both taught half of the semester). Would asking both of them to write me one look bad because they are from the same class? If so, which would be better? I really have no other options.

Which letter would you ask for? :

A science prof that you met this year, took her course as a 'guest' and she is working with you on an outreach project that no other letter will highlight

A science prof that you had for a course in which you did very well and will be a TA for next fall, although you already have two other letters from courses you TA'd for.

Downside to the outreach letter: doesn't know you very well personally
Downside to the TA letter: could be more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.