Official 2012 IM Match Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is it! Post your Match/SOAP results in this thread.

If you wish to remain anonymous while still sharing your success, PM me and I will post for you (although not in real time).

Members don't see this ad.

10 min to go. To quote Bill Burr: d'ooohhhhhhhhhhhh Jeeeeezzzus

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: Step 1: 240, Step 2: 242
--AOA and class rank: Top 1/4, missed AOA by a few spots
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): NOT top 50
--Research: 2 H/O Pubs
--Honors in clerkships: HP in medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, MDACC
--# of programs you applied to: +50, 16 interviews, Rejections from all the big wigs
--Where invited for interviews: Rush, UIC, UC-Northshore, OHSU, UC Irvine, Scripps Green, Baylor, Mayo, Wisconsin, UAB, Case, CCF, OSU, Cinci, UVa, Emory
--Where matched: Rush
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): MD/MPH, Research

I sent my number 1 an email.

243/265
Junior AOA, Tied #1 in class
4 posters, 1 paper
All Honors
No away rotations
Applied 18 programs, 18 invites (though Northwestern waited until almost Xmas, weird), attended BWH, MGH, BID, Hopkins, Duke, WashU, Vandy, Tulane, Mayo, UCSF, Stanford
Matched at UCSF!

Last edited:
Amazing choirboy! 4 years of being a badass paid off for you!!!!

Matched Loyola number 2
261/267
DO med school
Top of class, sub I at mayo and loyola
One pub 3 abstracts
Applied 40 programs ranked 12
going for cards

#2 choice, :)
Average step 1 and 2, no honors in medicine.
MD Top 50 med school
1 publication, 1 research award
Applied to 30 programs, went to 10 interviews and ranked all 10 programs.

Avg step 1, slightly above avg step 2
Texas MD school
Somewhere in the middle class rank
2 abstracts and poster presentations
Applied to 20 programs went to 11 interviews
Matched at mayo my #1

Johns Hopkins, and other "Top 25" medical schools tend to have a signficant percentage of graduates go into non-patient care residencies, BUT, a drop from 33, in 2010 and 27 in 2011 to 13 this year blows me away! Since residencies only take a few grads from the home program, that means that only around 3 or 4 Hopkins 2012 MDs will go into the Osler Program.

This year, 13 students have applied for internal medicine residencies compared with 27 last year and 33 the year before that. However, 15 graduating Hopkins students this year are going into pediatrics compared with 10 last year. One of the students applied for a family medicine residency.

Nationally, last year there was an 8 percent increase in students entering internal medicine residencies and a 3 percent rise in 2010. Pediatrics, another primary care specialty, had increases of 3 percent in 2011 and 2 percent in 2010 across the nation.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ease_match_day_provides_a_long_awaited_answer

My school, UT-Houston, had around 27% of graduates go into IM residencies. Feel free to post IM residency numbers from your medchool.

Last edited:
Johns Hopkins, and other "Top 25" medical schools tend to have a signficant percentage of graduates go into non-patient care residencies, BUT, a drop from 33, in 2010 and 27 in 2011 to 13 this year blows me away! Since residencies only take a few grads from the home program, that means that only around 3 or 4 Hopkins 2012 MDs will go into the Osler Program.

My school, UT-Houston, had around 27% of graduates go into IM residencies. Feel free to post IM residency numbers from your medchool.

A bit of an aside, 7 of those 13 are going to be osler interns next year. The majority of the other incoming osler interns are coming from that top 25 that you talk about.

Just because someone doesn't choose IM doesn't mean they aren't going into a patient care residency and as you probably know, most of the osler staff tends to go into things other than general medicine.

Hahnemann University Hospital.

Step 1 232
Step 2 252

3 Honors, 2 High Pass, 2 Pass in 3rd year

I matched to a program that I felt comfortable with, and welcome to, on Interview Day.

I am happy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit of an aside, 7 of those 13 are going to be osler interns next year. The majority of the other incoming osler interns are coming from that top 25 that you talk about.

Just because someone doesn't choose IM doesn't mean they aren't going into a patient care residency and as you probably know, most of the osler staff tends to go into things other than general medicine.

Definitely not as many going into IM. Was it 5 or 7 3-years matching into Osler?

Oh, I agree.

I just see that which happens to the Osler program as a kind of "finger in the wind" for much of the rest of IM in the US. Those seven Hopkins grads going to Osler is probably around the norm. But, the trend of IM losing top academic quality MD graduates to other specialties (fewer going into IM subspecialty fellowships as well) is increasing year to year.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 250, Step 2: 259
--AOA and class rank: Top 1/4, missed AOA by a few spots
--Research: No pubs
--Honors in clerkships: All honors except Ob/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: 2, U-W and OHSU
--# of programs you applied to: 20+
--Where invited for interviews: Hopkins, Penn, BID, BU, U-W, Vandy, Mich, NWU, OHSU, U of C, Rush, Wisconsin, Cornell, NYU, Georgetown, Emory, UNC, Colorado, UCSD, University of Toledo, Kaiser SF, Virginia Mason
--Where matched: BID
--Matched at what number on rank list: 3
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): ??

all these bishes we helped out with our invaluable advice adn they don't even have the deceny to wake up after their hang-overs and let us know where they matched

I feel so used

all these bishes we helped out with our invaluable advice adn they don't even have the deceny to wake up after their hang-overs and let us know where they matched

I feel so used

Just sent you a PM, jdh.
Matched at one of my top 3. Hella excited!

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 237 Step 2: 250
--AOA and class rank: First Quartile, Just missed AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Outside of top 50
--Research: 1 Pub, 1 poster, 1 presentation @ ACP
--Honors in clerkships: Few Honors, Just missed honors for Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: JHU, OHSU, UVA, Mayo, UPMC, UAB, Cali schools. Roughly 25, went on 16.
--Where matched: OHSU!
--Matched at what number on rank list: 2
--Anything that helped your app: Wish I had gotten honors in my Medicine rotation. Strong Sub I letter, Positive attitude during Interviews. Good followup contact (emails, 2nd looks) with interviewer.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 237 Step 2: 250
--AOA and class rank: First Quartile, Just missed AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Outside of top 50
--Research: 1 Pub, 1 poster, 1 presentation @ ACP
--Honors in clerkships: Few Honors, Just missed honors for Medicine
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: JHU, OHSU, UVA, Mayo, UPMC, UAB, Cali schools. Roughly 25, went on 16.
--Where matched: OHSU!
--Matched at what number on rank list: 2
--Anything that helped your app: Wish I had gotten honors in my Medicine rotation. Strong Sub I letter, Positive attitude during Interviews. Good followup contact (emails, 2nd looks) with interviewer.

Welcome.

- MD/PhD at top 10 school
- Step 1 218 (eff u carnitine shuttle), Step 2 248
- no AOA at our school, no ranks
- multiple first author pubs (sadly doing this **** for multiple years, good times)
- honors in all med school clerkships
- no away rotations
- 20 applications, rejected by some big ones (BWH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, BID, Wash U) and some not big ones (UNC and Colorado)
- interviewed at MGH, Duke, Penn, Michigan, Cornell, Chicago, NWestern, UW, Yale, Pitt
- ranked 10 places
- matched at MGH
- matched at 1st place on rank list
- things that I think helped my app: phone call from PD, research, MD/PhD, but really, the process makes no discernible sense (recruiting calls from Duke, no love at UNC)

I feel so used

Used and abused. You are the Kim Kardashian of SDN :p .....or maybe Ray J.

- multiple first author pubs (sadly doing this **** for multiple years, good times)
- no away rotations
- 20 applications, rejected by some big ones (BWH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, BID, Wash U) and some not big ones (UNC and Colorado)
- interviewed at MGH, Duke, Penn, Michigan, Cornell, Chicago, NWestern, UW, Yale, Pitt
- ranked 10 places
- matched at MGH
- things that I think helped my app: phone call from PD, research, MD/PhD, but really, the process makes no discernible sense (recruiting calls from Duke, no love at UNC)

Very happy for you! You deserve the best with all that work. I really think that your rejections came from a step 1 filter. Either way, MGH will be an amazing place to train. While I do envy you, my envy is sincere and wish you the best! Congrats!

- no away rotations
- ranked 10 places
- matched at MGH

Your experience mirrors mine almost exactly.

I will be brave and post here among SDN glitterati.. if merely to provide a FMG perspective on the Match.

Board Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 253
--AOA and class rank: No AOA at our school, around median
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 25 in India
--Research: 1 first author , have an MPH in clinical research (Hopkins)
--Honors in clerkships: Mostly high pass
--# of programs you applied to:143!!!
--Where invited for interviews: Interfaith (NY) , Bronx lebanon (NY) , Maimonides (NY) , Danbury (CO) and JHU/Sinai (MD)
--Where matched: JHU/Sinai (MD)
--Anything that helped your app: i went there with my app and asked them to invite me (really)

I will be brave and post here among SDN glitterati.. if merely to provide a FMG perspective on the Match.

Board Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 253
--AOA and class rank: No AOA at our school, around median
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 25 in India
--Research: 1 first author , have an MPH in clinical research (Hopkins)
--Honors in clerkships: Mostly high pass
--# of programs you applied to:143!!!
--Where invited for interviews: Interfaith (NY) , Bronx lebanon (NY) , Maimonides (NY) , Danbury (CO) and JHU/Sinai (MD)
--Where matched: JHU/Sinai (MD)
--Anything that helped your app: i went there with my app and asked them to invite me (really)

Lol, seriously? Ballsy to say the least.

And impressive you got the exact same step 1 and step 2 score:thumbup:

Board Scores: Step 1: 239, Step 2: 259
--AOA and class rank: AOA and top quartile.
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Not top 50
--Research: None
--Honors in clerkships: In most...but only HP in medicine.
--# of programs you applied to: 27
--Where invited for interviews: OHSU, UVA, VCU, Mount Sinai, USC, Kaiser San fran, Cal Pacific, U Minn, Mayo Rochester, Cedars Sinai...etc
--Where matched: OHSU!!

Congratulations, Jetty!

I guess I can join in if this helps any future applicants out...

Board Scores: Step 1: 242, Step 2: 271
--AOA and class rank: top 20%, no AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 50
--Research: no publications
--Honors in clerkships: honors in most, just HP in medicine though
--# and where you did away rotations: no away rotations
--# of programs you applied to: 24 maybe? 17 interview invites, attended 12
--Where invited for interviews: UPMC, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Yale, Cornell, Emory, Mayo, UVA, UNC, UAB, Case, CCF, Ohio State, UIC, Loyola, Einstein, Wake Forest
--Applied to & no invite: Northwestern, Chicago, Duke, Penn, Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai
--Where matched: UPMC
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1st
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): luck! haha

Congrats everyone on fantastic matches/thanks for advice throughout the process!

Congrats to you as well East!
Thanks Gutonc. Excited to be up in the PNW!

Thank you everyone. Really appreciated all your insights and support throughout this crazy process.

Board Scores: Step 1: 247, Step 2: 255

--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): UC medical school
--Research: 1 undergrad basic science publication and 2 posters; clinical research in med school
--Honors in clerkships: all honors except Psych
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away at a community hospital but didn't even apply to this place
--# of programs you applied to: 18 applied to and 17 interviews invites; 11 interview attendances:
Attended interviews at UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Stanford, UCD, UCI, Scripps Green, Cedars, UCLA Harbor, Kaiser LA, Kaiser Oakland

--Applied to & no invite: MGH
--Where matched: UCSD
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1st
--Anything that helped your app: see above...and a strong personal statement.

Got my Number 1 where there's sunshine all year around!! :love:

--Research: None
--Honors in clerkships: in all
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 26
--Where invited for interviews: UCLA, Stanford, UCSD, UCI, UCD, BIDMC, Hopkins, U Washington, OHSU, Northwestern, U of Chicago
--Where matched: UCLA!
--Matched at what number on rank list: #1 :love:

Last edited:
Board Scores: Step 1: ~250, Step 2: ~255
--AOA and class rank: AOA, top 10%
--Research: Few experiences, no pubs.
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in about half of them. HP on the rest.
--Where invited for interviews: Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Hopkins, Penn, Northwestern, UChicago, MSSM, BIDMC, UCSD, a few others. Rejected from MGH, BWH, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA.
--Where matched: Columbia
--Matched at what number on rank list: #1
--Anything that helped your app: Paisley tie in ERAS photo
--Advice for future applicants: Have fun on the trail, talk to as many residents as possible, and really hammer out the 2-3 things that are super important for you in a program before drinking the interview day kool-aid. And if you are using anonymous posters to organize your rank list you either didn't get enough info from the interview day (in which case go on a 2nd look or e-mail residents there) or you don't know what your residency must-haves and deal-breakers are (and you should know these).

Last edited:
Board Scores: Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 250s
--AOA and class rank: not AOA and ranked in middle of class
--Research: ongoing projects, no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: 2 (not in IM), mostly HP
--# of programs you applied to: 23
--Where invited for interviews: Emory, Baylor, UAB, Tulane, Rush, UIC, Loyola, CCF, Brown, BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Temple
--Where matched: Emory :)

Board Scores: Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 230s
--AOA and class rank: not AOA and ranked in middle of class
--Research: PhD work
--Honors in clerkships: HP in medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 12
--Where invited for interviews: UTSW, Duke, WashU, Yale, NYP, BCM, UTH, UCSD
--Where matched: UTSW

Step 1 238 step 2 260
Aoa, top 10 in class
All Honors third year, lots of pubs n presentations
No away, interviewed at most top 10 places
Matched to # 1
Have faith, do second look, keep updating your writers and the school you are interested in. Good luck!

First off, congrats to everyone here. Nothing trumps hard work. Believe That!

Off the SDN grid but might help a few folks on here browsing:

Carib IMG-US citizen
Step 1-2-CS: Mid 220's-Pass
Presented a couple of posters at regional ACP conferences
Got some great letters from my Medicine Sub-I and Critical Care Sub-I from diesel people in the field. Mostly honors except for surgery :smuggrin:
Got into my #1 choice at Drexel University. Philly is close to home and wife was able to transfer her job from Baltimore to Philly and stays close to family. Happy wife = Happy life!

Future plans: Pulm/Crit fellowship. Should be able to land this either in house or some where around. Just a little more hard work...

Once again, congrats to you guys! :thumbup:

There were thousands of IM applicants and SDN is a very skewed selection.

Yes, is there anyone with more normal stats who is willing to share their successes (and by success I don't mean the Boston/San Francisco progs)?

You all are frickin' weak. The "Help me rank" thread got over 1000 posts but this one gets only 40...most of which are me, jdh and instate saying congrats.

Next year I think I'll just delete and ban any users who ask questions about apps, interviews and ranking.

You all are frickin' weak. The "Help me rank" thread got over 1000 posts but this one gets only 40...most of which are me, jdh and instate saying congrats.

Next year I think I'll just delete and ban any users who ask questions about apps, interviews and ranking.

For real! At least send a private PM to post your data.

use me

abuse me

don't even call me the next day

:(

--Board Scores: Step 1: 210, Step 2: 225
--AOA and class rank: Bottom half
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Lower tier US private school
--Research: Summer research fellowship w/ poster presentation in med school
--Honors in clerkships: Straight Bs in all 3rd year clerkships, A in sub-I
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at a non-academic county hospital
--# of programs you applied to: +42, 19 interview invitations, went on 17
--Where invited for interviews: Kaiser Perm. Santa Clara, MCW, Lutheran General, Maricopa Med Ctr, St. Vincent Indianapolis, Indiana Univ., Louisville, Greenville Hosp., ECU, USF, Penn State, Maryland, Mayo-AZ, St. Joseph Phoenix, Univ. of Arizona, Banner Good Sam, Legacy Emanuel. (Didn't go to Baptist Health System in Birmingham, or West Virginia - Charleston)
--Where matched: University of Arizona
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): I had a hiccup early in medical school and ended up taking an extra year to finish my preclinical years. Did my best to address my situation in my personal statement. Wanted to do residency in an area where I had no real ties, so I did an away rotation near there. I had stellar letters of recommendation (2 program chairs, an asst. PD, and an endo bigwig), and tried to apply realistically. Went on almost every interview I was invited to. I really loved about half of the programs I interviewed at, and it came down to where I felt I would be happiest geographically. VERY satisfied with the outcome!

--Board Scores: Step 1: 210, Step 2: 225
--AOA and class rank: Bottom half
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Lower tier US private school
--Research: Summer research fellowship w/ poster presentation in med school
--Honors in clerkships: Straight Bs in all 3rd year clerkships, A in sub-I
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at a non-academic county hospital
--# of programs you applied to: +42, 19 interview invitations, went on 17
--Where invited for interviews: Kaiser Perm. Santa Clara, MCW, Lutheran General, Maricopa Med Ctr, St. Vincent Indianapolis, Indiana Univ., Louisville, Greenville Hosp., ECU, USF, Penn State, Maryland, Mayo-AZ, St. Joseph Phoenix, Univ. of Arizona, Banner Good Sam, Legacy Emanuel. (Didn't go to Baptist Health System in Birmingham, or West Virginia - Charleston)
--Where matched: University of Arizona
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): I had a hiccup early in medical school and ended up taking an extra year to finish my preclinical years. Did my best to address my situation in my personal statement. Wanted to do residency in an area where I had no real ties, so I did an away rotation near there. I had stellar letters of recommendation (2 program chairs, an asst. PD, and an endo bigwig), and tried to apply realistically. Went on almost every interview I was invited to. I really loved about half of the programs I interviewed at, and it came down to where I felt I would be happiest geographically. VERY satisfied with the outcome!

Thanks for posting. Your app is very similar to mine (almost identical, without the extra year), and I was sick of seeing people who had 250s on step 1. Good to see you got interviews at places like MCW, IU and Maryland. I'm not applying anywhere in the west, which seems like what you were targeting, so hopefully I'll get a good chunk of IVs in less competitive regions of the country. But congrats, thanks for throwing a bone for average Joe/Jane med student!

As to why people aren't posting, I have a feeling it's due to wounded egos that people didn't get their tippy top choices. Oh no, I matched at my #5, which happened to be Mass Gen, whatever will I do?? :rolleyes: I have no ego left, so I promise I'll post my results this time next year.

Last edited:
An anonymous posting . . . nice match :thumbup:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 217, Step 2: 223
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA probably in middle of the class
--Research: poster presentation, case report, performance imp project, no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: A's in most clerkships, including medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 but not somewhere I really wanted to go, just did it for fun
--# of programs you applied to: approx 35-- applied broadly/randomly and to lots of reach schools. Didn't get bigger names like UAB, OHSU, Colorado, Emory, Vandy, Duke, Michigan etc…. FWIW classmates with similar stats +/- a few points were able to snag interviews to a couple of those places, but then didn't get invites to some places I did…
--Where invited for interviews: Florida, MUSC, MCG (didn't go), USF (didn't go), Miami(didn't go), Tulane, Cincinnati, Case Western, Ohio State, Clev Clinic, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Indiana, Louisvillle, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Utah
--Where matched: University of Utah
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): From my interviews it seemed like my LORs made quite an impression-- excellent letters from IM program chair and PD of another specialty… Good letter from IM PD. Personal statement was a hit although that was probably just a good convo starter more than anything else. Overall, I worked hard during my 3rd year and it paid off with strong letters-- had several people comment/quote letters during the interview and some even said it compensated for less than stellar board scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.