Apps that pharmacists use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some Apps for the phone that pharmacists/ pharm techs/ interns use? Anyones that you like?

Members don't see this ad.

The only phone-based app I've messed around with is Lexi-Comp, which is pretty nice... it's unfortunate my employer has a strict 'no phones in the pharmacy' policy, looking stuff up on it would be much quicker than using the browser-based stuff we have to use now.

I like WebMD and Medscape. Use it on a daily basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only phone-based app I've messed around with is Lexi-Comp, which is pretty nice... it's unfortunate my employer has a strict 'no phones in the pharmacy' policy, looking stuff up on it would be much quicker than using the browser-based stuff we have to use now.

Did you explain to them how useful new technology is?

I understand not wanting you to text or play games but I've seen doctors in hospitals using drug apps.... Seems like some people can't get with the times.

Get yourself an iPad. Problem solved.

..... Don't see how that would solve any problem. Firstly, the iPad can't fit in your pocket so it's less practical. If a pharmacist isn't going to allow a phone then they probably won't let you use an iPad (Not all of us have 400 bucks to throw around either) However, a larger number of people have smart phones.

WebMD is a little iffy I've heard. Pubmed is great for looking up studies and other medical information. Medscape is a good app though.

My pharmacy school requires that we be able to access Lexi-Comp. Which phones work best for this app?

Do they pay for it?

App is like 300 a year o_O

After switching to Micromedex, I've never gone back to Lexi as far as phones are concerned. Micromedex Drugs (strictly drug info) is free, while Interactions is available at cost unless you have a code from your school. As a pre-pharm, I would think MM is more than enough.

I know of a nice app for pharmacy law in New York State if anyone is interested let me know. It's definitely available for iPhone, and possibly available for iPad, and iPod.

I second Micromedex. I still can't believe it's a free app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else thing Micromedex is slow and buggy on android?

Don't forget Pharmacist's Letter if you have a subscription

The androids suck in general (Especially the earlier ones)

After switching to Micromedex, I've never gone back to Lexi as far as phones are concerned. Micromedex Drugs (strictly drug info) is free, while Interactions is available at cost unless you have a code from your school. As a pre-pharm, I would think MM is more than enough.

:thumbup:

The androids suck in general (Especially the earlier ones)
The only complaint I have about mine is the battery life. Otherwise my gingerbread runs everything I've put on it fairly well. Does epocrates still do a formulary search. I've been thinking about installing it for that. Otherwise I run lexi.

I find lexi faster for basic drug info. Micromedex online does better for foreign drug look up and I think does better at reporting trial data to support alternate dosing on meds for off label use. Walgreens doesn't block pharmacists letter, so I use their computer for that.

I got the 50% off student discount on lexi and free pharmacists letter courtesy of wal-mart while in school. As mentioned basic epocrates is free.

Android is whack. Lags 20% of the time... Which means when you need your phone most it will fail you and you will be looking around wondering if anyone has an iPhone you could use.

I know of a nice app for pharmacy law in New York State if anyone is interested let me know. It's definitely available for iPhone, and possibly available for iPad, and iPod.

im interested ! =D

Anyone else thing Micromedex is slow and buggy on android?

Works fine on my HTC Vivid.

Android is whack. Lags 20% of the time... Which means when you need your phone most it will fail you and you will be looking around wondering if anyone has an iPhone you could use.

Meh, I went from iPhone to Android and have no regrets.

What about the tarascon pharmacopoeia? I loved the deluxe labcoat edition as a tech, but I've been out of practice for a couple years. (Starting Pharm school this August) I know they have an app. Anyone use that? or familiar? and can anyone compare it to lexi comp, etc.? Thanks for any info :)