Just knocked out Kaplan Q*BOOK* 5th ed- my brief thoughts on it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the Kaplan QBook (~100 Qs/day x 8 days).

Prior to this, with respect to the bigger-name resources, I've only already covered USMLE Rx and FA Q&A. I have not yet touched Kaplan QBank or UWorld.

With the thousands of posts I've read on SDN, Kaplan has definitely taken on a reputation of catering to the minutiae, although I've also read some posts where people have said that Kaplan QBank is not excessively low-yield at all and that it is in fact very helpful. Needless to say, Kaplan did uphold its reputation of testing the minutiae via this book. This isn't even just in an absolute sense; this is also relative to Rx and FA Q&A.

I had completed one 50-question block from Kaplan QBook last year, but had never gotten around to finishing the remaining 800 Qs until just now. In relation to Rx and FA Q&A, the difficulty of the questions in Kaplan QBook is substantially greater. I found that Kaplan has many more one-step questions that test smaller details, rather than 4-step twisters that assess the bigger picture. USMLE Rx and FA Q&A's questions were better for learning how to bypass the indirect or tacit "tricks" that the USMLE might throw at us, but Kaplan QBook was superior for the actual depth of knowledge that it tested. As opposed to FA Q&A, where most of the explanations had been relatively vague, Kaplan QBook's explanations were very strong ~80% of the time (although there were a few occasions where the explanations fell short for Qs that certainly required a bit more discussion). That being said, I read all of the Kaplan explanations, as I had for Rx. I hadn't particularly bothered with FA Q&A's.

I performed 84% on Kaplan QBook (85 and 94 on Rx and FA Q&A, respectively), however the questions I had missed surprisingly weren't in relation to information that I had merely glossed over in FA; Kaplan had a lot of wtf-questions with info I had simply never heard of before. I definitely learned a ton of extra stuff going through the book, and I highly recommend it for the sake of pumping up your FA with annotations. I feel that my future Step score has probably been augmented 3-5 points by having gone through just this text alone. Considering it's only 850 questions, that's a fairly good protein for total calorie ratio.

Hope that helps,

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished the Kaplan QBook (~100 Qs/day x 8 days).

Prior to this, with respect to the bigger-name resources, I've only already covered USMLE Rx and FA Q&A. I have not yet touched Kaplan QBank or UWorld.

With the thousands of posts I've read on SDN, Kaplan has definitely taken on a reputation of catering to the minutiae, although I've also read some posts where people have said that Kaplan QBank is not excessively low-yield at all and that it is in fact very helpful. Needless to say, Kaplan did uphold its reputation of testing the minutiae via this book. This isn't even just in an absolute sense; this is also relative to Rx and FA Q&A.

I had completed one 50-question block from Kaplan QBook last year, but had never gotten around to finishing the remaining 800 Qs until just now. In relation to Rx and FA Q&A, the difficulty of the questions in Kaplan QBook is substantially greater. I found that Kaplan has many more one-step questions that test smaller details, rather than 4-step twisters that assess the bigger picture. USMLE Rx and FA Q&A's questions were better for learning how to bypass the indirect or tacit "tricks" that the USMLE might throw at us, but Kaplan QBook was superior for the actual depth of knowledge that it tested. As opposed to FA Q&A, where most of the explanations had been relatively vague, Kaplan QBook's explanations were very strong ~80% of the time (although there were a few occasions where the explanations fell short for Qs that certainly required a bit more discussion). That being said, I read all of the Kaplan explanations, as I had for Rx. I hadn't particularly bothered with FA Q&A's.

I performed 84% on Kaplan QBook (85 and 94 on Rx and FA Q&A, respectively), however the questions I had missed surprisingly weren't in relation to information that I had merely glossed over in FA; Kaplan had a lot of wtf-questions with info I had simply never heard of before. I definitely learned a ton of extra stuff going through the book, and I highly recommend it for the sake of pumping up your FA with annotations. I feel that my future Step score has probably been augmented 3-5 points by having gone through just this text alone. Considering it's only 850 questions, that's a fairly good protein for total calorie ratio.

Hope that helps,

Lol, well, I like the enthusiasm. I do find your predictions funny. 3-5 point increase from reading a book 6 months before your exam.

You may have the highest score ever @ this pace.

Lol, well, I like the enthusiasm. I do find your predictions funny. 3-5 point increase from reading a book 6 months before your exam.

You may have the highest score ever @ this pace.

I was explicit by saying that I haven't yet gone through Kaplan QBank or UWorld. Considering FA Q&A and USMLE Rx had a degree of overlap with one another, it's possible that much of what's covered in Kaplan QBook I may simply just encounter again in the QBank, so that arbitrary prediction doesn't really mean much; that's just with respect to if a test-taker were to have only gone through Rx, FA Q&A and KQBook.

you're an animal, if you get the highest score, you have earned your ticket to america my friend...philoston, did you use the Kaplan lecture notes and vids, i.e.- do the probs in the lecture notes as well? Also, what other in-book series problems (i.e.- brs physio) do you recommend outside of the qbanks or do you think multiple qbanks will just cover all your bases at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
you're an animal, if you get the highest score, you have earned your ticket to america my friend...philoston, did you use the Kaplan lecture notes and vids, i.e.- do the probs in the lecture notes as well? Also, what other in-book series problems (i.e.- brs physio) do you recommend outside of the qbanks or do you think multiple qbanks will just cover all your bases at this point?

If you're looking for general info as far as what to look at, a student from my school (Jason Chang, aka Pollux) rocked a 276/99 in 2008. Here's his post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742. I've been trying to follow pretty much his exact routine, except I've swapped the order of FA Q&A and Kaplan QBank, and I'm emphasizing University of Utah Webpath and Robbin's RR Qs a bit more than he had. I'm also not using Micro Made Ridiculously Simple bc I found the Microcards to be strong enough on their own. You asked about Kaplan videos and notes though. Jason went through the Kaplan notes but not the videos. I'm going to go through the biochemistry and behavioral science notes (at least to start), with a particular emphasis on the former (in conjunction with HY Cell & Mo Bio), based on a lot of laboratory technique stuff that the USMLE has apparently been throwing at people.

Hope that helps,

Lol Im jealous you guys have the time off but that's perhaps the tradeoff and competitveness of being an IMG....im merely shooting for a 240+, I think GT, Pathoma, and Qbanks are good for me lol

Thanks for the information, Phloston. Please let us all know your thoughts on Kaplan QBank after you have gone through the questions. I'm glad that this gave you a good protein to calorie ratio.

Great work Phloston. Keep on working hard and us informed on your experiences so that we can try to benefit.

Thanks for the information, Phloston. Please let us all know your thoughts on Kaplan QBank after you have gone through the questions. I'm glad that this gave you a good protein to calorie ratio.

agreed, as always appreciate your review of question sources.
keep it up! cheers!

Since you're doing all these write-ups anyway, you might think about compiling them all at the end of your Step 1 prep so that they're all in one place. Phloston's Guide to Step 1 Resources. :)

Pholston, why did you decide not to use Gunner Training? With how much time you're spending and your goal of knowing everything, it seems to me that it would have been well-suited for you.

Pholston, why did you decide not to use Gunner Training? With how much time you're spending and your goal of knowing everything, it seems to me that it would have been well-suited for you.

The point of that program is really to drill information for people that easily forget what they read. Given the scary depth of his knowledge (and all the minutiae he actually remembers), I don't think he really needs a spaced repetition program at all. :p

I've never actually looked at GT. I don't doubt that it probably helps many people. In the end, there's more than one way to learn the info, and we can't possibly do everything. I wish I had time to go through GT, but I won't. I'm just going by a variation of Pollux's pathway (as through the link in post #4).