Super Detailed 6/7 DAT Breakdown, thoughts, advice, everything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiejsun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT: 22 90.9% TS 24 98.6% AA 25 99.8%
QR: 27 99.6%
RC: 22 85.9%
Bio 23 97.4%
GC 24 96.1%
OC 29 99.3%

I'm coloring different sections to help you navigate.

General Thoughts on DAT and Studying:
-know your weak areas/subjects and plan accordingly. How much time you need to prepare for DAT is different for everyone. Find additional materials for area you need to work on.
-Type/write up your own notes for science which condense everything from different sources that you read, and add to those if other key points come up through practice problems. Do it for topics you feel you need to, since doing it for all is time consuming. but it makes reviewing later easier for important ones-going through complied notes than five different review books again.
-Find a tutor (if financially affordable) in your area if you need extra help in specific science areas (it's actually pretty easy and you can find good ones just through online, that's what I did for bio and orgo, mainly for physiology (which I never learnted) and answering my bio and chem questions from self-study).
-Everyone's DAT versions are different. some easier on some sections and harder on other sections. Better to be prepared for all.
-Luck is important. If possible, leave you a second chance if anything happens unexpected. But don't take the test if you are definitely not prepared, and don't take the test with the thoughts that you are going to retake it.
-Study with your personality: I like having colors and postage so I posted science notes (markers with print colored papers) all over on my bedroom wall. I wrote them big just to increase the chances that I will see them more and remember those important points. just to add some fun to study. Incorporate what you love to lighten up your study a little bit.
-Get your daily schedule to the time frame similar to DAT. Sleep early and get up early. I go to bed at around 11-11:30pm, and get up around 8am. Having a healthy schedule helps keep you on track and helps if you have an early morning DAT (like 8:30am).

On the Test day and about Testing Center...

-If possible, pick a good testing center. Pick one that the computer monitor/mouse seem to work well, that they are not peculiar about rules (using earplugs, touching screen etc), anything that you might care about and to your advantage. Visit your testing center beforehand. Being familiar with it can only do good to you upon your arrival on your test day since you what to expect for this part.
-I was thinking of retaking throughout the first half of the test. I marked 1/4 of my Bio questions, esp when I saw lab questions which I didn't study for at all. And I stumbled over one or two gen chem problems that i were usually good at (I could tell I was nervous). Keep calm and just work through. You never know what you'll get in the end. Just try to concentrate on your work and do your best so that you don't regret. As you could tell from my case, the results may surprise you in the end.
-Eat what you love the most in the morning to start off a good day. don't drink too much water. bring snacks (chocolates, energy bars) to eat during break after PAT.

--------------------Detailed Breakdown ------------------
PAT-
The exam: Keyholes and Holepunching harder than Crack PAT for me. weird, complicated keyhole shapes never seen before, weird 1/3 or 1/4 holes for hole punching. but relatively easier TFE (than Achiever), and pattern folding (easier than Crack PAT). Cube counting is about the normal level, no cube counting with excessive number of cubes to count.

I've read different comments on real PAT section on DAT, I guess everyone may encounter different levels of difficulty for different sections, but the test probably balances itself so that you get some sections harder while other sections easier. You don't know which harder sections you will get, so best way is to get prepared and practice beyond the actual level of difficulty.

Study materials: Crack DAT PAT, Topscore, Achiever.
Crack DAT PAT is a must. (but don't purchase Crack DAT's science section). I only started on Achiever recently after i read SDN posts saying that real DAT PAT is harder than Crack DAT PAT, so I only did PAT of Test1 from Achiever (got 19, only 3 correct on keyhole part..). If i were to go back, I'd do more Achiever to help build up on my PAT skills more, but you should go through all 10 Tests of Crack DAT PAT first because the software have thorough explanations of everything. Achiever is a plus.

A note on TFE: line strategy can be helpful. but don't rely on it. it's one of those million things that help you in TFEs. Learn to visualize objects, at least the parts needed to differentiate the given answer choices, think critically about answer choices through elimination and compare close answers. Pay attention to solid/dash lines and distinct shapes.

Notes on Hole Punching:
I plan out my noteboard during the 15min tutorial at the beginning of DAT to help me during PAT. I set up spaces for hole punching (yes, i drew 15+ 1 extra squares with central vertical line and horizontal line), and counting cross for cube counting, etc.

Note on Pattern Folding:
Cut out and fold for questions you find hard to think in head. develop your own strategies for pattern folding.

Science:
The exam-Hard for me to say if they're easier or harder than particular practice tests, because can't find a way to really compare them. Bio questions were pretty straightforward for me, like DATQvault actually I'd say. Wordings are a lot easier than Destroyer Bio section for me(though I only did a small portion of it).
-Gen chem and orgo pretty straight forward. I actually feel it's easier than any practice tests that I've taken.. like topscore, kaplan etc.

Note Bio and Gen Chem Lab questions: I actually had lab questions for Bio and Gen chem, more than one. I didn't study any of those, just used my judgement and guessed. If you want to be fully prepared, look over lab materials for Bio and Gen chem. I actually didn't have lab questions for Orgo section, which I studied...

Study materials
Cliff's Bio, Destroyer, Chad's videos (gen chem, orgo, math), Kaplan (DAT course online materials + review notes book), MCAT Examcracker Biology, Kaplan MCAT Bio review notes, DATQvault Bio, Bio Textbook, Topscore, old notes from Harvard summer Orgo class.

Bio: Study materials may be different for everyone depending on how good you are with different sections. I never learned physiology so I spent a lot of time learning it by myself, that's why I used so many different bio sources. If you feel you need more studying on Bio, supplement Cliffs notes with other Bio review materials. Cliffs notes have good summary, but combined with other bio sources, I was able to understand Cliffs Notes' summary understand better.
I did DATQvault Bio, which helped me understand topics better. I didn't have time to go through Destroyer Bio section but that'd be the next thing I'd do if I had more time.

Orgo: I did the majority of Orgo Destroyer (the book by itself), instead of the orgo section from Destroyer that has all science sections in it. The reason is that I was worried about my orgo learned from a 6-week orgo summer course vs. regular orgo courses at college. I used Flash cards from Kaplan, and supplement them with extra flash cards that I made myself. There're a few mistakes in Kaplan's flashcards, think critically and search through SDN if you come across different explanations between Kaplan flash cards and other sources.

Genchem: I typed up my own notes using DAT Kaplan Review Notes Book based on my judgement of what I need and supplemented it with additional notes from Chad's video, key points I come across through practice problems.

Math and Reading:
Math:
Exam: I had multiple trig questions. know them.

Study: I didn't study for it until the week before since it's the section that I felt most comfortable with and could procrastinate. I'm not the best person to ask for about math. In the last week, I went over Chad's video on probability etc for areas that I am weak at, compiled formulas, did topscore math, and destroyer math section.

Reading:
Exam: I didn't have super crazy long passages or anything like that. Ppl have been saying that RC is harder than Kaplan. but it was about the same for me. Topscore was actually harder for me.. So I guess again, it really depends on what you get on the real test. Many detail, fact questions and few tone questions for me.

Study: Not the person to ask at all.. English is my second language, and I hated SAT for English. I was worried about whether I'd get 19 on Test. For Topscore I got frustrated on the 3rd test RC, and gave up half way since it's so medical and dense for me, didn't feel comfortable to pick it up to finish it until 2 weeks later. My topscore reading was scoring around 19-20 (for some I used extra time). I also used Crack DAT Reading, whether to use it is up to you. Like what others said, It has a lot more tone questions than detail questions.

So for RC, all I can say is what I said in the beginning: Luck is important. But that doesn't equal not studying.

I don't really have scores from DATQvault, topscore etc to share, b/c some of them were not taken under standard conditions so they may not be so helpful. and I did DATQvault bio by topics to better organize my topics, so I never did any of those complete individual tests...

Hope part of what I share can be helpful to you in one way or another! It did take some time to type up... so I hope they can be of some use. Good luck everyone!

If you have specific questions about any of the parts I said in this post, PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was your study routine? Were you taking classes while studying for DAT or were you dedicated to the DAT?

I was dedicated to DAT for 2 months, first month more laid back and mainly learning Bio physiology and slowing working on some PAT. full-time studying in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean, you thought about rescheduling while you were taking the test?

How does that work?

Wicked awesome scores. That's one way to move up to the top of the heap. Congrats!

What do you mean, you thought about rescheduling while you were taking the test?

How does that work?

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking that I probably need to retake it during the test b/c I wasn't sure about many of the questions and was nervous.

No u can't reschedule during the test, but you can before the test. I did reschedule my test from May 30 to June 7, a week later. and the fee was somewhere around $25.

congrats !! you killed it !!
just couple questions tho,
which source did u find sufficient to learn physiology?
and did u find Achiever absolutely necessary to get your score in PAT?

Last edited:
If I wore hats mine would be tipped to you good sir. Well done and congrats! Got your awesome scores just in time for early apps. Good luck with the applications!

I was dedicated to DAT for 2 months, first month more laid back and mainly learning Bio physiology and slowing working on some PAT. full-time studying in May.

Outstanding job!! congrats! Just a quick question. English is my second language, just like yours and I do have problem with RC. I am currently practicing with Crack DAT for RC but I keep getting 13 and 14. I wanted to ask you for suggestions and if you use any specific method?! how should I approach this section?!

I normally don't comment on these types of threads, because I don't trust the sincerity of the person writing the breakdown... but this is an exception.
Even though I've already taken the DAT, I think you've given a lot of helpful tips and inspiration to future DAT examinees and students alike. Thank you and good luck with everything.

p.s. you kept your composure throughout, but it must feel real nice to get a 25AA haha

congrats !! you killed it !!
just couple questions tho,
which source did u find sufficient to learn physiology?
and did u find Achiever absolutely necessary to get your score in PAT?

physio: MCAT Bio Examcrackers, Kaplan MCAT Bio Review Notes (no plants for MCAT), Cliffs, and Kaplan DAT Bio review notes if you can have it. They all sort of complement each other, with a lot of overlap b/t the two kaplan books.
-For MCAT Bio Examcrackers, you can download online for free. just google.

I don't think Achiever is completely necessary.

Outstanding job!! congrats! Just a quick question. English is my second language, just like yours and I do have problem with RC. I am currently practicing with Crack DAT for RC but I keep getting 13 and 14. I wanted to ask you for suggestions and if you use any specific method?! how should I approach this section?!

Like others said, practice and read more science improve reading in the long term. Scientific American would be a good one. On exam, luck is important because if you get a passage on a topic that seems too foreign to you, that can make it more time consuming for you to read through.

Strategy-wise, it'll be different for everyone somewhat. I like reading a couple of questions, and go to passage to start reading. take minimum notes (one to two key words in shorthanded form) for each paragraph(label paragraphs on your noteboard during break for you to use), and basically find answers as i read through, keep in mind what each paragraph is about generally so that if i see a question later on, I can locate quickly back to the paragraph that it appeared. on DAT, the passage rolls back to top everytime you go to the next question, so knowing what paragraph you need help you quickly go down to the specific location. If you don't know a question, don't get stuck and just guess one based on your intuition reading the answers and move on. Search and Destroyer works well when questions go in order. I'd suggest combining search and destroyer, some quick notetaking/mapping and read through the passage (though not word by word) instead of just jumping around to find answers.

Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Crazy awesome scores. Congratulations.

Is there any way we can get Kaplan's online study materials even if we don't take the course?

Great scores!
How similar did you think DATqvault was compared to the real DAT?
Specifically bio, gen chem, and organic?
Do you think it helped alot??

I don't think so. Unless you use someone's log in account while that person has access to the service.

Congratulations on your fantastic scores. Also, thanks for the superb and microscopically detailed breakdown. Excellent job.

Great scores!
How similar did you think DATqvault was compared to the real DAT?
Specifically bio, gen chem, and organic?
Do you think it helped alot??

Personally I think qault helped me understand bio better, I don know how to compare qault and DAT directly, but at least wording of questions on DAT were no harder than those on Qvault, at least for mt test.

Didn't use qvault for others. Only did a little for math so I cant comment on that.

One advantage of qvault I like is that I can practice by topics, which helped me better organize my knowledge.

Awesome scores and breakdown! I really appreciate when people type up about how they studied, how the test was, and what they would do differently! It kind of shapes how I study in a way. It gets hard to stay motivated throughout reviewing for the DAT, reading these breakdowns helps keep me motivated!! Thanks again, and good luck this cycle!!

Awesome scores and breakdown! I really appreciate when people type up about how they studied, how the test was, and what they would do differently! It kind of shapes how I study in a way. It gets hard to stay motivated throughout reviewing for the DAT, reading these breakdowns helps keep me motivated!! Thanks again, and good luck this cycle!!

It's indeed hard to stay motivated, ESP when the test is still a month away or something. I tried posting things like images etc on wall or next to my bed to add more motivation. Reading SDN too, reading about how hard ppl are studying for DAT reminds me not to fall behind as well

Looking at getting better at PAT with practice, as I understand it, the SDN consensus is that Crack DAT PAT is better than achiever?

YOU KILLED IT! CONGRATS.
I'm taking mine this August, Hope to do that well. You're going to Dental School for SURE! :)

Looking at getting better at PAT with practice, as I understand it, the SDN consensus is that Crack DAT PAT is better than achiever?

I'd say yes. Use achiever after u complete crack dat pat. I think achiever complements cPAT since some sections can be harder than crack PAT exams and others easier. So if ur time allows, build up ur strong foundation with cPAT, and do some problems from Achiever

PAT: 22 90.9% TS 24 98.6% AA 25 99.8%
QR: 27 99.6%
RC: 22 85.9%
Bio 23 97.4%
GC 24 96.1%
OC 29 99.3%

I'm coloring different sections to help you navigate.

General Thoughts on DAT and Studying:
-know your weak areas/subjects and plan accordingly. How much time you need to prepare for DAT is different for everyone. Find additional materials for area you need to work on.
-Type/write up your own notes for science which condense everything from different sources that you read, and add to those if other key points come up through practice problems. Do it for topics you feel you need to, since doing it for all is time consuming. but it makes reviewing later easier for important ones-going through complied notes than five different review books again.
-Find a tutor (if financially affordable) in your area if you need extra help in specific science areas (it's actually pretty easy and you can find good ones just through online, that's what I did for bio and orgo, mainly for physiology (which I never learnted) and answering my bio and chem questions from self-study).
-Everyone's DAT versions are different. some easier on some sections and harder on other sections. Better to be prepared for all.
-Luck is important. If possible, leave you a second chance if anything happens unexpected. But don't take the test if you are definitely not prepared, and don't take the test with the thoughts that you are going to retake it.
-Study with your personality: I like having colors and postage so I posted science notes (markers with print colored papers) all over on my bedroom wall. I wrote them big just to increase the chances that I will see them more and remember those important points. just to add some fun to study. Incorporate what you love to lighten up your study a little bit.
-Get your daily schedule to the time frame similar to DAT. Sleep early and get up early. I go to bed at around 11-11:30pm, and get up around 8am. Having a healthy schedule helps keep you on track and helps if you have an early morning DAT (like 8:30am).

On the Test day and about Testing Center...

-If possible, pick a good testing center. Pick one that the computer monitor/mouse seem to work well, that they are not peculiar about rules (using earplugs, touching screen etc), anything that you might care about and to your advantage. Visit your testing center beforehand. Being familiar with it can only do good to you upon your arrival on your test day since you what to expect for this part.
-I was thinking of retaking throughout the first half of the test. I marked 1/4 of my Bio questions, esp when I saw lab questions which I didn't study for at all. And I stumbled over one or two gen chem problems that i were usually good at (I could tell I was nervous). Keep calm and just work through. You never know what you'll get in the end. Just try to concentrate on your work and do your best so that you don't regret. As you could tell from my case, the results may surprise you in the end.
-Eat what you love the most in the morning to start off a good day. don't drink too much water. bring snacks (chocolates, energy bars) to eat during break after PAT.

--------------------Detailed Breakdown ------------------
PAT-
The exam: Keyholes and Holepunching harder than Crack PAT for me. weird, complicated keyhole shapes never seen before, weird 1/3 or 1/4 holes for hole punching. but relatively easier TFE (than Achiever), and pattern folding (easier than Crack PAT). Cube counting is about the normal level, no cube counting with excessive number of cubes to count.

I've read different comments on real PAT section on DAT, I guess everyone may encounter different levels of difficulty for different sections, but the test probably balances itself so that you get some sections harder while other sections easier. You don't know which harder sections you will get, so best way is to get prepared and practice beyond the actual level of difficulty.

Study materials: Crack DAT PAT, Topscore, Achiever.
Crack DAT PAT is a must. (but don't purchase Crack DAT's science section). I only started on Achiever recently after i read SDN posts saying that real DAT PAT is harder than Crack DAT PAT, so I only did PAT of Test1 from Achiever (got 19, only 3 correct on keyhole part..). If i were to go back, I'd do more Achiever to help build up on my PAT skills more, but you should go through all 10 Tests of Crack DAT PAT first because the software have thorough explanations of everything. Achiever is a plus.

A note on TFE: line strategy can be helpful. but don't rely on it. it's one of those million things that help you in TFEs. Learn to visualize objects, at least the parts needed to differentiate the given answer choices, think critically about answer choices through elimination and compare close answers. Pay attention to solid/dash lines and distinct shapes.

Notes on Hole Punching:
I plan out my noteboard during the 15min tutorial at the beginning of DAT to help me during PAT. I set up spaces for hole punching (yes, i drew 15+ 1 extra squares with central vertical line and horizontal line), and counting cross for cube counting, etc.

Note on Pattern Folding:
Cut out and fold for questions you find hard to think in head. develop your own strategies for pattern folding.

Science:
The exam-Hard for me to say if they're easier or harder than particular practice tests, because can't find a way to really compare them. Bio questions were pretty straightforward for me, like DATQvault actually I'd say. Wordings are a lot easier than Destroyer Bio section for me(though I only did a small portion of it).
-Gen chem and orgo pretty straight forward. I actually feel it's easier than any practice tests that I've taken.. like topscore, kaplan etc.

Note Bio and Gen Chem Lab questions: I actually had lab questions for Bio and Gen chem, more than one. I didn't study any of those, just used my judgement and guessed. If you want to be fully prepared, look over lab materials for Bio and Gen chem. I actually didn't have lab questions for Orgo section, which I studied...

Study materials
Cliff's Bio, Destroyer, Chad's videos (gen chem, orgo, math), Kaplan (DAT course online materials + review notes book), MCAT Examcracker Biology, Kaplan MCAT Bio review notes, DATQvault Bio, Bio Textbook, Topscore, old notes from Harvard summer Orgo class.

Bio: Study materials may be different for everyone depending on how good you are with different sections. I never learned physiology so I spent a lot of time learning it by myself, that's why I used so many different bio sources. If you feel you need more studying on Bio, supplement Cliffs notes with other Bio review materials. Cliffs notes have good summary, but combined with other bio sources, I was able to understand Cliffs Notes' summary understand better.
I did DATQvault Bio, which helped me understand topics better. I didn't have time to go through Destroyer Bio section but that'd be the next thing I'd do if I had more time.

Orgo: I did the majority of Orgo Destroyer (the book by itself), instead of the orgo section from Destroyer that has all science sections in it. The reason is that I was worried about my orgo learned from a 6-week orgo summer course vs. regular orgo courses at college. I used Flash cards from Kaplan, and supplement them with extra flash cards that I made myself. There're a few mistakes in Kaplan's flashcards, think critically and search through SDN if you come across different explanations between Kaplan flash cards and other sources.

Genchem: I typed up my own notes using DAT Kaplan Review Notes Book based on my judgement of what I need and supplemented it with additional notes from Chad's video, key points I come across through practice problems.

Math and Reading:
Math:
Exam: I had multiple trig questions. know them.

Study: I didn't study for it until the week before since it's the section that I felt most comfortable with and could procrastinate. I'm not the best person to ask for about math. In the last week, I went over Chad's video on probability etc for areas that I am weak at, compiled formulas, did topscore math, and destroyer math section.

Reading:
Exam: I didn't have super crazy long passages or anything like that. Ppl have been saying that RC is harder than Kaplan. but it was about the same for me. Topscore was actually harder for me.. So I guess again, it really depends on what you get on the real test. Many detail, fact questions and few tone questions for me.

Study: Not the person to ask at all.. English is my second language, and I hated SAT for English. I was worried about whether I'd get 19 on Test. For Topscore I got frustrated on the 3rd test RC, and gave up half way since it's so medical and dense for me, didn't feel comfortable to pick it up to finish it until 2 weeks later. My topscore reading was scoring around 19-20 (for some I used extra time). I also used Crack DAT Reading, whether to use it is up to you. Like what others said, It has a lot more tone questions than detail questions.

So for RC, all I can say is what I said in the beginning: Luck is important. But that doesn't equal not studying.

I don't really have scores from DATQvault, topscore etc to share, b/c some of them were not taken under standard conditions so they may not be so helpful. and I did DATQvault bio by topics to better organize my topics, so I never did any of those complete individual tests...

Hope part of what I share can be helpful to you in one way or another! It did take some time to type up... so I hope they can be of some use. Good luck everyone!

If you have specific questions about any of the parts I said in this post, PM me.

very insperational ,

do you have a bachelor degree?

and did you apply to a dental school