6/27 DAT done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mario0923

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took DAT

PAT 23 (94.7%)
QR 19 (83.5)
RC 18 (37.5%)
BIO 23 (97.4%)
GC 28 (99.0%)
OC 25 (96.6%)
TS 25 (99.3%)
AA 23 (98.1%)

overall: GC OC was easy, easier than any other practice exams/questions. BIO was tricky. QR was hard (I am a physics major I have taken several college maths but......I don't know) RC was harder than any practice exams (except Achiever) PAT was fair about same as Topscore but harder than CrackPAT.

BIO: Destroyer, Cliff, Qvault, Topscore, Achiever
I was aiming for 30 and obviously I didn't do that great... but I think knowing everything (literally everything) in Cliff will let you to +23 for sure
Destroyer is good just do it. I did twice.
Qvault is good practice. I did first 7 exams and I realized that some questions on the bottom do not show up in the practice exams so I ended up doing all questions for each topic.
Topscore is good. Maybe a little harder than the real exam.
Achiever... I did 1~5 just to study anything that I have missed from other study sources. Good study material but not representative at all.

GC: Destroyer, Chad, Qvault, Topscore, Achiever
maybe I got 1~2 wrong... I don't know which one.
Destroyer and Chad is like everyone says a MUST. I did Destroyer twice, I took intense notes of Chad's video. I did almost all the Chad's quizzes. Like biology, I did first 7 qvaults exams and did all the questions on the bottom.
Topscore is good but harder than the real exam
Achiever...well... it motivates you :smuggrin: if you don't want to you don't have to take Achiever. but rest study materials are must

OC: Destroyer, Chad, Qvault, Topscore, Achiever
just did same as how I studied GC.
I would say OC was really easy (although I did better in GC). Every study materials are good practice but the real exam is easier so don't get discouraged even if you are not doing well on the practice. and do not overstudy OC. I think I did overstudy, but when I saw the questions, I thought I should have studied for in depth the basics than studying more complex reactions.

PAT: CrackPAT, Chad, Topscore, Achiever
CrackPAT is good for starters. But I think it is easier than the real exam. I did all the 10 practice tests and redid the exams that I have low scores after several days. I started PAT early because I thought this was not studying but practicing. But if you start too early, you might forget so I recommend about 1 month before the real exam.
I did Chad's angle ranking. I think it was hard, but actually it was a good representative (talking about the size of angle, difficulty).
Topscore and Achiever were pretty good representative, although they sometimes reuse the figures (but they have different answer choices I think).

Keyhole: I had 2~3 WTF but generally it was doable.
TFE: it was OK
Angle: practice with Chad's and Topscore, Achiever
Hole punch: easy but harder than practice questions. People say they got only 3 folds...I got like 4 folds in multiple diagonals....I was usually getting 100% on practice questions on this section but I am not sure if I got all them right during the real exam
Cube Counting: the cubes were huge. it was not bad. For this section I used my left hand for the mouse so that I count and record the sides with my right hand.
Pattern: the difficulty was between CrackPAT and Achiever/Topscore. The figures were clear but little harder than CrackPAT.

RC: CrackRC, qvault, Topscore, Achiever
what a nightmare.....I thought I was going to get at least 20...but it was hard..
I am a bad slow reader. I decided to search for the answer. But...I don't know...it usually worked during my practice
CrackRC is a good starter, but it's kinda easy.
qvault is pretty good although the first 2 are easy
Topscore is pretty good representative and Achiever is way too hard.
RC..just practice and develop your own method to ace this section:smuggrin:

QR: CrackQR, qvault, Topscore, Achiever
wow....maybe it was because I did bad on RC and that thought disturbed me during QR but 19 is the worst score I ever got. Although I never had statistics, I have a good background of math. I have taken Calc BC, Calc III, some physics maths. But the questions were hard. I had to use calculator (which lags) because none of the numbers were nice.

My practice exam scores:
Topcore:
#/BIO/GC/OC/PAT/QR/RC/TS/AA
#1/20/17/16/21/20/18/18/19
#2/17/20/23/23/18/21/20/20
#3/18/19/19/23/23/18/19/19

CrackPAT
#1 18/22
#2 25
#3 18/19/22/22
#4 20
#5 22
#6 22/24
#7 23
#8 18/23
#9 21
#10 25

CrackRC
#1 16
#2 17
#3 15
#4 16
#5 17
#6 19
#7 19
#8 18
#9 22
#10 21

Qvault (just noticed while writing this that I did 8 exams not 7..:p)
#/BIO/GC/OC/QR/RC
#1/22/21/19/23/21
#2/18/18/24/20/24
#3/19/24/18/22/19
#4/22/24/21/25/17
#5/20/22/20/25/19
#6/18/18/21/22/19
#7/23/21/19/27/
#8/27/20/24/25/

Achiever (I didn't do RC in Achiever from #3 but AA has RC score as 0 so AA is meaningless)
#/BIO/GC/OC/PAT/QR/RC/TS/AA
#1/21/18/18/18/21/19
#2/18/15/1720/19/15/17/17
#3/17/18/18/19/20/0/18/15
#4/16/16/17/16/18/16/0/16/13
#5/17/15/14/19/19/0/16/13

As you see my scores are completely different from what I could expected from my practice exam scores (maybe not?:laugh:)
But I really did my best for studying DAT. I woke up everyday 7:30~8am, I had a breakfast. I went to school library and studied until 5pm. I came back home, ate dinner and studied until 12. I did this everyday without exception from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays, I went to church, and when I came home I studied my flashcards. I studied in this schedule from may 11th to june 25th. It was very stressful, and I tried not to get crazy so I watched TV shows while eating and try to relieve stress.

I said I did Destroyer twice. I first did all the questions: 60 bio questions, 30 OC questions, 35 GC questions, and 15 QR questions. On a piece of paper I wrote all my answers and I marked all the questions that I got wrong. (I had 60%~75% right one the first time). I then did qvault, Achiever questions. I came back to Destroyer and I redid all the problems by solving one problem at a time and checking the answers. I looked at the questions that I got right also to make sure that I didn't guess right but I actually got it right. I not only look at the explanations of Destroyer, but I also searched online for further information if I thought it was insufficient. I used flashcards to memorize all. I had to packs: one that I memorized and one that I didn't. I put the flashcards in the pack of memorized cards when I was able to bring up the answer right away. After about 2 weeks I reviewed all the flashcards. I had about 350 flashcards.
I did similar methods for studying with Achiever and Topscores and Qvault. In the morning when I got to the library, I start with reviewing my flashcards and memorize them. I do some Chad quizzes and Qvault questions and I eat lunch. Because my DAT was scheduled to 12:30 I tried to eat early lunch and try to take the practice test at 12:30. I get back home and eat dinner. I start to review every single questions (even if I got it right) by telling loud the answer and comparing it again (so basically I did all the tests twice). Like Destroyer, I looked at the explanation (although they were poorly written), and I searched online (mostly) for further information and wrote down on the flashcards.

I really studied hard for 6~7 weeks. I have postponed the exam once. I had to study hard and got a good score because I have a low gpa and I am an international student. I had 3.6~3.7 but I got a depression during my college years and my gpa went down to 3.0. I decided to become a dentist last semester, (I already had taken Biology I and II, GC and OC) I posponed my graduation a year to take prerequisite courses and I just got 3.85 this semester. I know this is going to be challenging with all these handicapes....
So I am a little disappointed by my score although I think I did good....
Considering that I have not taken any Biology except I and II (I just took Microbiology but doesn't help for DAT) I considered myself poor biology background and I studied hard. I had to study everything by myself except genetics and cells (topics covered in Bio I, II).

I don't know what I am talking...:smuggrin:
Anyways just keep in mind that as long as you study hard you will do good.
You have to push yourself, telling yourself that you need to study more.
But you should be confident.
Getting nervous on the test day can be overcome by confidence.
For my confidence I preyed to God everyday, especially the night before, right before the exam.

I wish good luck to everyone who is taking DAT
and I hope we will be classmates next fall:laugh::love:

P.S. sorry if I have typo or bad english. I couldn't concentrate on writing because I am tired just taking the test, and people are texting/calling me.
Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores! Be glad your all done! Also, I think being an international student is on your side for getting interviews with your gpa (which isn't necessarily bad, of course the higher the better), since you expressed some concern about it in your breakdown. Keep your head up! And good luck!! :luck:

Great job. It is the real score that counts and your scores are outstanding.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Well done sir! Excellent scores! You killed the sciences! Thank you for the break down, and congrats!

Thank you guys :)

There is one thing that I forgot to mention:
I always came to SDN to ask questions and to answer questions
You learn better when you teach. So when I study I mimic to teach myself, I talk to myself.
Answering questions that people ask on SDN is very helpful because it might tell you concepts
that you unconsciously didn't fully understand or reinforce your knowledge.
I recommend you guys to study together (even though I didn't), come to SDN and become active posters.

Great breakdown! You killed it!
When did you take your topscores in relation to your real dat? I scored about the same as you on my topscores and my dat is on friday and I'm starting to get nervous!

Great breakdown! You killed it!
When did you take your topscores in relation to your real dat? I scored about the same as you on my topscores and my dat is on friday and I'm starting to get nervous!

I did all 3 of them, one test one day, until the day before the exam

just don't get nervous (although I did a lot....:p)
if you have worked hard, you will do fine.
believe in yourself and you will do fine
the real DAT was not that bad (well...not RC and QR for me though...)
just control your mind!

Do you think that by reading one passage per day will help you analyze and understand passages better and faster?

I did all 3 of them, one test one day, until the day before the exam

just don't get nervous (although I did a lot....:p)
if you have worked hard, you will do fine.
believe in yourself and you will do fine
the real DAT was not that bad (well...not RC and QR for me though...)
just control your mind!

Thanks so much!! You've really helped calm my nerves a little! And your breakdown is inspiring! Hopefully I can write a similar one on Friday! Good luck to you this cycle!!

Do you think that by reading one passage per day will help you analyze and understand passages better and faster?

I personally think that DAT is all about time management when taking the test.
So when I practiced, I always measured the time like the real DAT.
DAT is not hard but it is hard because you have to do it quickly.
Also the length of test is about 4h30min which is long, so you need to prepare for endurance.
Yes reading a passage per day might help you but it depends on when your DAT is. If your DAT is only in a month, that is just wasting your time. Just keep practicing with a full length section and when the test is approaching practice with full length test.

hope it helped:)

Hi,

how did u improve your reading score as your practice score for crack DAT reading started with 15 and end with 22.. I took 4 crack DAT reading and got 15,15,14,13. I have my DAT in 15 day....

Hi,

how did u improve your reading score as your practice score for crack DAT reading started with 15 and end with 22.. I took 4 crack DAT reading and got 15,15,14,13. I have my DAT in 15 day....

well.. I tried all the different methods that I have seen in SDN and figured out which method worked out best for me. that is how I improved my score.
I cannot tell you a lot about RC because my score is only 18....

How did you manage your time on the sciences section? Do you think 1 minute per question is enough?

hmm...
I never had a issue on time for science section. I always ended up having extra time
But I tried to solve the problems as fast as possible and didn't review any questions and submitted the answer to practice solving question quickly
that training helped me and I had 30 minutes left during the real DAT's science section.

considering you have 100 questions and 90 minutes, 1 minute per question is too much time.
especially for GC and OC where some questions need about 1 minute or more to solve.
just try as fast as possible during practice exams, and on real DAT you will have some extra time to review your answers because the real DAT is easier than the practice exams.

Thanks for your reply. So, the best way to increase the test taking endurance is taking tests right?

Thanks for your reply. So, the best way to increase the test taking endurance is taking tests right?

Yeah that is right. I took a full length practice exam every day and tried to not use the 15 min break after PAT. It is really hard because you get tired after hours of taking exam so it is a good practice to improve your endurance.