How I raped DAT test...well almost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wadtha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
this was my third time taking this damn test and will be my last. Thank you for all your help. Below are the scores of my tests starting from the first time i took the test to most recent one last.

January 2011 DAT - First try
Bio – 14
Gchem – 23
Ochem – 17
PAT – 17
QR - 16
RC – 15
AA – 17
TS – 17

July 2011 DAT - Second Try
Bio – 20
Gchem – 22
Ochem – 20
PAT – 21
QR - 19
RC – 20
AA – 21
TS - 21

June 2012 - Last Try
PAT - 23 :)
Bio - 21
G chem - 27 :)
O chem - 25 :)
QR - 22
RC - 16 :thumbdown: :(
TS - 23 :)
AA - 23 :)

CDP - 10 test version. Its excellent. Must get
Achiever - Only used it for PAT...meh
Topscore - bought it mostly for doing section practice tests
QR - Math destroyer...must have
DAt destroyer - Must have...its excellent for chem and bio. Ochem is way too hard and it always brought my hopes down so I din't look at destroyer stuff.
Alan's bio notes - free resource. The guy was nice enought to put it up without charge...might as well utilize it.

Breakdown:
PAT - CDP, Topscore, Achiever
I got lucky on this section. none of the sections were ridiculously hard. the last section I was getting tired and I might have blazed through it where I made most of my mistakes, but out of the three times I have taken it this might have been the easiest one in terms of Keyholes and TFE. Proportions are something to watch out for because miniscule details on these drawings can screw you over big time...same goes for TFE and Pattern Folding. Hole punching
cube counting were sections I blazed through and I'm pretty sure I got all of them right. Angle rankings weren't as
hard as CDP, they were more in line with topscore.

Bio - AP cliffs, DAT destroyer
It was hard as hell. I read cliffs slowly about 4 times and did the DAT destroyer once. Some of the questions in this section aren't even fair. I wish I could remember the questions, but I really can't. I was scared the whole time taking this section that I'm going to get a 17. I din't get any phylum questions AGAIN!. ugh I was so prepared to answer something about phylums because its easy to memorize. I used a lot of acronyms. For example: PCP Narcotics R and marijuana are excellent choices. I found this online lol and it stuck in my head.

GChem- Chad, Destroyer
Chad is the man. I seriously love this guy, he goes over everything that you need to rape this section. It was easy as hell. I knew the minute I had finished this section I had done well, with a question or two that I was iffy about. I had 3 calculation problems. Other than that it was all conceptual stuff...very very simple stuff

Ochem - Chad, Destroyer
I went to UCR for two years and I took 3 ochem courses there and I got C+s in all of them. Moral of the story is that if you use Chad then you're guranteed a 23 and above. I kid you not he went over everything that was necessary for me to answer that test. I had 3-4 reactions and the rest were conceptual questions. None of the reactions that I got were wierd or had wierd reagents. Maybe it was my luck, but I'm def happy about it.

QR - Math Destroyer
I din't study much for this section. I din't get any geometry questions. Most of it was involving basic arthmetic. Simple stuff. My goal was to answer 30-32 questions correctly. If I came accross a word problem I said f*** you and skipped it. I marked down 8 questions and I had about 15 minutes remaining when I went over those. I def. missed a few on those. know your farenheight to celsius conversion. I have gotten one every single time I have taken this test. I know I got it right this time :)

RC - Topscore, CDR
I don't even know what to say. I am terrified what the schools are going to think of me when they see this score. Reading has always been my weak point. Even on my SATs i got a 500 on reading 700 in math and 680 in writing. Overall passages were super dense: gene therapy, something about aging, and telomeres. I wanted to kill myself and
I knew when I had finished that section I had effed up major. I can't give you advice on how to study for it, but pray that you don't get those 3 essays. they sucked imo...:(

Study habits:
Don't be cheap about purchasing materials...buy everything you can to get a good score in the first try. studying for this test is a b****. I have done it three times and I'm sure people that have done it like me probably advice you to do the same. Spend the money and buy destroyer, top score, cliffs, achiever, CDP, CDR, and whatever else that can contribute to you getting into dental schools. Its a great investment, because after 4 years you'll be making bank and 50 dollars for a program won't seem as much to what you'll be making then.

Another thing is that you don't need to study 8 hours a day to get this score. Trust me. I didn't and I am not the brightest guy. I wanted to take the test in 8
weeks so I gave myself a month to learn the material and then a month for review. I watched chads gchem videos in 4 days and ochem videos in 5 days. I finished cliffs in a week. No I am not a slow reader, but my point was to memorize every single detail in cliffs and make sure I don't miss small things. If you have noticed all these practice questions that are on the test, most of them are from cliffs or alan's notes. I made sure I din't miss detail and tried to retain as much information as I could. I studied ochem everyday and Gchem has been easy for me even in HS i got As in AP chem and got a 5 on the AP test. I did a PAt section everyday without fail. Last two weeks I opened the dat destroyer and started doing problems rather than timing myself. Belive it or not I have never taken a full lenght practice DAT test. The real ones are the only tests that I have taken fully. I always practiced in sections and did chads quizzes. Everyone that is reading this, its not too bad...honestly its not. I'm sure if I can get this you guys can do even better. this test doesn't determine how intelligent I am, but it just shows hardwork that I honestly put into it. Even reading...believe it or not haha. If any of you guys need help, feel free to message me I'd be more than happy to help. goodluck and study hard.

Closing comments:
My gpa is a 2.9 overall and 2.8 science. I just finished this and now I am going to be taking classes at cal state fullerton to raise my gpa during fall. I have already sent my
application on the 19th of this month to dental schools and they will be recieving my scores shortly within next week. Last year I applied to 17 schools and I din't get a single interview. During my year off I have worked at a dentists office for over 400 hours, Gone to Panama for a Global Medical Dental Training trip, taken pre-dental courses at ucla, and retaken my DAT.

anyways sorry for the long break down and if you guys could let me know what you guys think that'd be great :)
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
awesome score and great improvement !
let me be the first one to congratulate you.

by the way, I am very worried about RC as well. I've been doing CDR and have been getting 17s :(
may I ask what score you've been getting from CDR?

Great scores, congratulations! What was your RC strategy and were the questions mostly detailed or tone/inference?

Awesome! Really shows what hard work can accomplish! Also inspiring because I'm retaking my dat after getting similar scores to you in your 2nd retake. Congrats on the great scores! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Simply inspirational ! I'm sure you will get some interviews this fall! best wishes.

You watched all of chad's G-chem in 4 days & Orgo in 5!!!!! Aggressive!

Did you take copious notes as he suggested? I have a non-science background and I find myself hanging on to almost every word he says, which increases the time to review the video. Also with Cliffs AP did you utilize the chapter exams that were on the CD-Rom or were you referring to the end of the chapter questions?

Thanks in advance for the insight?

Congrats on the solid scores. RC is a blemish on an otherwise perfect score, but even that is a 16 so no cut-off issues. Besides your previous 20 might lend more credence to the theory that you just had a bad RC day!

Thanks for sharing!!!! I am currently reviewing for Chad's and trying to do it within a week and a half. I thought that I would be trying to do too much and not be able to retain everything. But the fact that you reviewed both in a little over a week gives me great relief. Great scores, congrats!! :thumbup::laugh:

I think you meant to write June 2011 for your second try :p loll.

but awesome awesome scores!!! you sound exactly like me too. This is going to be my first time taking it. In august. And my gpa aint so great: 3.3 and 3.0 science. so i need to ace the dat!!

good luck to you with apps!!! im sure youre a guaranteed in now!!

Amazing scores!!!

Can you share how you studied for PAT every day? I have Crack PAT but it only has about 10 exams...(something like that)
Did you just retake the same exams?

@joeeeey3 CDR is good and i Kept getting 18-20s consistently. I think it was a good representation. like i said i just got really bad passages and reading isn't my thing

@kingsta2426 yes most of the questions were tone/inference questions. i'd say maybe 30 were detailed and the rest were like what should the author put at the end of this paragraph...what did he mean by this...what did he mean by that...what was the tone of the passage...what can be inferred from this.

@Sauvignon yeah i took notes of whatever he wrote down on the board and whatever he said that sounded important to me or something that i wouldn't remember from memory I wrote that down as well. make sure you know the intermediates for ochem...it helps remembering how the product forms. for the ap cliffs i just used the chapter end questions. i never used the cd rom...i don't think i even got one with my ap cliffs lol or if i might have i don't know where i put it.

@dilinim yeah i meant 2011 ahaha

@msmouth well yeah i did the same tests again and again. for CDP for a month...every 10 days i'd have to repeat a test. when there were 4 remaining i bought achiever and topscore so that added 6 more tests to my collection. topscore test 2 and 3 are same from CDP so it was a waste for the pat section, but still for keyholes achiever and topscore is great. tfe is the same as CDP. keyholes and cube counting like i said have been easy for me in CDP and all 3 times i have taken the test. angles weren't as bad as CDP for sure...more like topscore and pattern folding was doable as well, but i'm sure i missed the most on that section because in all my practices i always missed most of my answers in pattern folding

thanks to the rest of you...really appreciate you guys taking the time and reading the breakdown and goodluck to the people that have messaged me and the rest of the people that read the breakdown and are going to take the test!!

CONGRATS! did you watch 2010 and 2012 GC videos? what do you mean by "PCP Narcotics R and marijuana"?? THANKS

p - porifora
c - cnidaria
p - platyhelminths

narcotics - nemtodes
r - rotifers

and - annelids
marijuna - mollusks
are - arthropods

excellent - echnidermates
choices - chordata

something that helped me remember all the phylums. i just watched the 2012 videos...its the same material and the videos are a total of 14-16 hours long so that'd be a huge waste of time if i had done that.

p - porifora
c - cnidaria
p - platyhelminths

narcotics - nemtodes
r - rotifers

and - annelids
marijuna - mollusks
are - arthropods

excellent - echnidermates
choices - chordata

something that helped me remember all the phylums. i just watched the 2012 videos...its the same material and the videos are a total of 14-16 hours long so that'd be a huge waste of time if i had done that.

what are those related... ?

and the way you memorize is good, i should use that too

You really destroyed this test. Did you get really mad at it? Either way, congratulations.

I had those same 3 RC passages! I got 20+ on every RC test and then a 16 on that one. The aging one is really tough imo. I wouldn't wish those on anyone.

Overall great job!! Those are insane scores. Go celebrate your accomplishment!