Hole Punching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xJtrandx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT a couple days ago, and breezed past the hole punching section using my method. It allowed me to use all the extra time for some of the harder sections like the pattern folding or TFE section.

For those who have trouble with hole punching or just want to do them faster - I made a video explaining my way of doing punching problems on the DAT. I tried to explain it the best I could, and hope it isn't too confusing.

Edit. (Feb 14 2017) : Re-posted original Hole punching video. Link above

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow, THANKS a million for taking the time out to make this video! It was executed really well and made a lot of sense. I'm definitely incorporating this strategy into my practice tests from now on! I like how this method simply allows you to just know the gist of where the direction of the fold is. That's exactly my problem: sometimes I can't tell where the fold is going to look like and I keep staring until eventually I get super confused.

Quick questions:

1. You said on the video that you wouldn't highlight the the lines of symmetry on the grids, on the real DAT. Why not?

2. Does this method also work with 1/4 holes and 1/8 holes?

Once again, thanks dude! And I saw your other post on your DAT score -- congratulations!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, THANKS a million for taking the time out to make this video! It was executed really well and made a lot of sense. I'm definitely incorporating this strategy into my practice tests from now on! I like how this method simply allows you to just know the gist of where the direction of the fold is. That's exactly my problem: sometimes I can't tell where the fold is going to look like and I keep staring until eventually I get super confused.

Quick questions:

1. You said on the video that you wouldn't highlight the the lines of symmetry on the grids, on the real DAT. Why not?

2. Does this method also work with 1/4 holes and 1/8 holes?

Once again, thanks dude! And I saw your other post on your DAT score -- congratulations!

1. For the lines of symmetry that are horizontal, vertical, and diagonal from corner to corner, I wouldn't highlight it on the grid because I would just imagine it in my head. However for some of the diagonal ones that aren't exactly corner to corner, I would actually quickly highlight it on my grid.

2. Honestly, the chances of getting a 1/4 or 1/8 hole punch is extremely rare. Even on my real DAT hole punching section, I don't even remember getting a half hole punch problem - but I used my method on the achiever and got all of them right usually anyway so It must have worked.

And I'm glad it helped you!

Great method. I liked how you were able to very simply eliminate the problem of whether or not the hole punch made should actually be there in the answer. Thanks!!

Wow. This is amazing. I just nailed like 40 straight problems in CDP practice mode. It literally works every single time, no matter how complex the folding. Hole punching just became the easiest section on the DAT. Thanks a million.

I'm glad you guys like the method. I originally used the "tic tac toe" method that was posted on predds .net and it was good, however it started to get complicated when half hole punches and invisible hole punches were involved. Once you get the hang of this LOS (line of symmetry) method, you can do the hole punching problems really fast and with 100% accuracy. But I think the best thing about this method is that you don't need to know exactly how the paper is folded to do the problem (especially useful for random complicated folds).

I took the DAT a couple days ago, and breezed past the hole punching section using my method. It allowed me to use all the extra time for some of the harder sections like the pattern folding or TFE section.

For those who have trouble with hole punching or just want to do them faster - I made a video explaining my way of doing punching problems on the DAT. I tried to explain it the best I could, and hope it isn't too confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud0ZX0eEFA

Thanks! Great video!

I'm starting PAT practice today, I'm excited to go watch your vid, and thanks in advance!!! :)

I can't say enough about this method. I haven't missed a hole punch question since using it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you rock! I was getting to a similar conclusion but never thought of the piece of paper folding over to remove some holes! Crystal clear and awesome. Thank you!!! :)

I just tried this for the first time, and I got 14/15 correct on CDP. AWESOME!!! I went back to retry the problem I got wrong and got it correct immediately. You little smarty you :)

Thanks a BUNCH :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your technique. It's working out for me almost 100% of a time. The one problem I seem not to be able to do is question 4 test 3 on CDP. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but I can not get the answer. Would you be able to explain this one? Thanks!

Ok, I just tried it and got it. It's a little hard to explain in words, so I'll try my best. I'm numbering the grid so you can follow along:

1/2/3/4
5/6/7/8
9/10/11/12
13/14/15/16

So in the problem, there is one hole punched on 8. It would then get reflected to 4 and then to 12, due to the line of symmetries above and below the hole punch on spot 8. For the next step, the line of symmetry would span from the top left corner to the right bottom corner. Thus, all the X's that were drawn on spots 4,8, and 12 would get reflected over this line of symmetry. So the X in spot 4 would get reflected to spot 13, X in spot 8 to 14, and X in spot 12 to 15. The X from spot 12 would get reflected (as explained in the video) even though the paper is only half on the square. Lastly, the last step wouldn't change anything since all the X's are already on the line of symmetry so there is not nothing to reflect. Hope this helps!

Hey xJtrandx,

thanks for the tutorial. I do have a question though. at 6:08 of the video, where you reflect the x (second from right on top row) over the axis of symmetry), you said you did so because that x is "contained in the shape". However, isn't it not? Aren't you just looking at that little triangular flap? The x isn't part of that flap so why would it get copied over the axis of symmetry?

In the end, you eventually folded the paper onto the "x that was copied over the axis of symmetry" so it got cancelled anyway, but my question is whether or not that x should have been copied over in the first place.

thanks.

Hey xJtrandx,

thanks for the tutorial. I do have a question though. at 6:08 of the video, where you reflect the x (second from right on top row) over the axis of symmetry), you said you did so because that x is "contained in the shape". However, isn't it not? Aren't you just looking at that little triangular flap? The x isn't part of that flap so why would it get copied over the axis of symmetry?

In the end, you eventually folded the paper onto the "x that was copied over the axis of symmetry" so it got cancelled anyway, but my question is whether or not that x should have been copied over in the first place.

thanks.

Noticed the same thing, and wondered if that was right. Either way, this tutorial saved me on hole punching. Focusing on the LOS is so critical!

Ok, I just tried it and got it. It's a little hard to explain in words, so I'll try my best. I'm numbering the grid so you can follow along:

1/2/3/4
5/6/7/8
9/10/11/12
13/14/15/16

So in the problem, there is one hole punched on 8. It would then get reflected to 4 and then to 12, due to the line of symmetries above and below the hole punch on spot 8. For the next step, the line of symmetry would span from the top left corner to the right bottom corner. Thus, all the X's that were drawn on spots 4,8, and 12 would get reflected over this line of symmetry. So the X in spot 4 would get reflected to spot 13, X in spot 8 to 14, and X in spot 12 to 15. The X from spot 12 would get reflected (as explained in the video) even though the paper is only half on the square. Lastly, the last step wouldn't change anything since all the X's are already on the line of symmetry so there is not nothing to reflect. Hope this helps!

Is that question 4 from test 3? You might've confused it with some other question... My bad, I am using Internet on my phone, so I can't upload the picture. But thanks anyways!

Hey xJtrandx,

thanks.

Yeah, no its not supposed to be reflected, as it is not contained in the shape. That was a silly mistake on my part, but yeah so the only difference is that the x wouldn't be an invisible x, it would just not have been reflected at all. Thanks for pointing that out

Is that question 4 from test 3? You might've confused it with some other question... My bad, I am using Internet on my phone, so I can't upload the picture. But thanks anyways!

Ok, I think I did the wrong problem

Using the same numbered grid,

1/2/3/4
5/6/7/8
9/10/11/12
13/14/15/16

For question 4, a hole is punched originally on 7. It then gets reflected down to 11. Ok, in the next step, the line of symmetry would be a diagonal line going from left to right. Thus, the x from 7 would get reflected to 13, and the x from 11 would get reflected to 14. In the last step, the line of symmetry is the big diagonal line going from the top left to the bottom right. the x from 13 would get reflected to 4, the x from 14 would get reflected to 8. The x on 7 would get deleted since it is on open space, and the x on 11 would remain there since it is on the line of symmetry. Doest that help? Let me know if you still don't get it.

Ok, I think I did the wrong problem

Using the same numbered grid,

1/2/3/4
5/6/7/8
9/10/11/12
13/14/15/16

For question 4, a hole is punched originally on 7. It then gets reflected down to 11. Ok, in the next step, the line of symmetry would be a diagonal line going from left to right. Thus, the x from 7 would get reflected to 13, and the x from 11 would get reflected to 14. In the last step, the line of symmetry is the big diagonal line going from the top left to the bottom right. the x from 13 would get reflected to 4, the x from 14 would get reflected to 8. The x on 7 would get deleted since it is on open space, and the x on 11 would remain there since it is on the line of symmetry. Doest that help? Let me know if you still don't get it.

Got it!!! Thanks! I think I've been studying too much, lol! Got to take a break!

This has easily been my worst section but now I'm starting to get the hang of it. Too bad my DAT is in two days LOL. Thanks loads at least it will help in the future if I do a retake.

edit: Even in the short time I've been able to apply it it's definitely helped my understanding A LOT and my score has gone up quite a bit on the two CDP tests I just did. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Last edited:
Thank you! You should patent your method! I am good with hole punch until I get the diagonal folds with 1/2 and 1/4 punches. I'm glad that those don't usually appear on the real deal. I am also grateful the angles are easier on the real thing too!

This is the most sure method I have come across. My practice tests have improved dramatically! And I'm no longer intimated by holepunches haha. Thank you so much!!!!

@xJtrandx,

I am really slow at doing holepunches though I have pretty good accuracy (esp. w/ the LOS method). You mentioned in the vid that you just do most of the visualizations in your head and only write it out when it's a really complicated fold.

1. Are the folds on the real DAT like the CDP folds? (I've read CDP is harder, so I'm hoping it's the same for punches).
2. How can I get faster at doing the punches, and esp doing them in my head? Is it just a lot of practice? Right now I'm happy w/ my scores on CDP but I am so slow and holepunches are taking too long for me. Any tips on getting up to speed are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

What method did you use for angle ranking? I am having a lot of trouble in ranking :(

Your holepunch really helps me alot

@xJtrandx,

I am really slow at doing holepunches though I have pretty good accuracy (esp. w/ the LOS method). You mentioned in the vid that you just do most of the visualizations in your head and only write it out when it's a really complicated fold.

1. Are the folds on the real DAT like the CDP folds? (I've read CDP is harder, so I'm hoping it's the same for punches).
2. How can I get faster at doing the punches, and esp doing them in my head? Is it just a lot of practice? Right now I'm happy w/ my scores on CDP but I am so slow and holepunches are taking too long for me. Any tips on getting up to speed are appreciated.

Thanks!

1. The folds on the real DAT were easier than the ones on CDP. Also, for me at least, there was only one hole punch per problem - which also made it easier.
2. On the real DAT hole punching section, you'll be able to do the problems faster than the ones on CDP (a lot faster). For the vertical, horizontal, and corner to corner lines of symmetries, I would just visualize it in my head and just reflect the hole punches. However, for other lines of symmetries (diagonal ones), I would draw it quickly on my grid. It only takes a few seconds to draw the symmetry line on the grid even if you can't picture it. Hope this helps!

Hi

What method did you use for angle ranking? I am having a lot of trouble in ranking :(

Your holepunch really helps me alot

I did a lot of research to find the best method for angle ranking. However, nothing really worked for me. So I kind of did it my own way. I just pictured the 2 lines as a bent wire. I would then just try to picture putting my finger at the inner vertex, and see which one is the easiest to bend the 2 wires back into one a straight wire. This worked for me, and it was good enough to get at least 11-12 right on CDP. On the real DAT, angles are a lot easier so I wouldn't worry about this section too much.

Thank you SO much! This section is killing me (timed, which is what matters haha), but I'm going to keep at it. Your tutorial was amazing btw. Thanks again!

-Last question, on CDP there are like 6 figures and some have 20+ cubes. I read elsewhere on SDN that the real DAT has fewer cubes. I was wondering, how many cubes roughly did you have per figure (hopefully none with 20+). And how many figures were there? I was thinking there would be only 3 total with several questions per figure but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for this method! Really top-notch and concise - wonderful of you to share. :)

I want to thank you so much for your hole-punch video. I went from struggling and no confidence to actually getting nearly all correct! Your approach is so logical yet I didn't see it before you showed me.

Thank you SO much! This section is killing me (timed, which is what matters haha), but I'm going to keep at it. Your tutorial was amazing btw. Thanks again!

-Last question, on CDP there are like 6 figures and some have 20+ cubes. I read elsewhere on SDN that the real DAT has fewer cubes. I was wondering, how many cubes roughly did you have per figure (hopefully none with 20+). And how many figures were there? I was thinking there would be only 3 total with several questions per figure but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Thanks!

No problem, I'm glad it helped! On the real DAT, there were never 20+ cubes (at least on my exam). They were easier than CDP, however I still had a couple problems that had "invisible" cubes so make sure you are comfortable with that. But other than that, they were pretty straightforward!

WARNING. This method does not work for inside-out folds.

Imagine folding a square sheet in half from right to left vertically so that there's a top and a bottom. You now have a 2-layer vertical rectangle.

Now take the top half sheet of that rectangle and fold it in half again (left to right) so that it folds over itself vertically. The grid should look like this:

1 3 0 0
1 3 0 0
1 3 0 0
1 3 0 0

With each of the numbers representing how many layers of paper there are. 0 layers indicates no paper present.

If you punch a hole where there is 3 layers:

1 3 0 0
1 x 0 0
1 3 0 0
1 3 0 0

and now attempt to use the method you would get this:

1 3 0 0____2 2 0 0____1 1 1 1
1 x 0 0____x x 0 0____x x x x
1 3 0 0____2 2 0 0____1 1 0 0
1 3 0 0____2 2 0 0____1 1 0 0

Instead of this:

1 1 1 1
1 x x x
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1

The reason is, when you open the first fold, you are putting a hole on top of solid paper. When you unfold the 2nd fold, the hole is now moved to the other side, and the original side has no holes. But in haste, using the method on these types of problems will cause incorrect answers.

Granted, this was only noteworthy enough for me to bring up because I missed 2 Achiever hole punching questions that had that type of fold. So far, those were the only 2 exceptions to this method, and my solution is to just make sure the problem does not have this type of fold first before using the method.

Just being the usual paranoid study freak...this probably won't even be an issue.

No problem, I'm glad it helped! On the real DAT, there were never 20+ cubes (at least on my exam). They were easier than CDP, however I still had a couple problems that had "invisible" cubes so make sure you are comfortable with that. But other than that, they were pretty straightforward!
Thanks so much!!! :)

Good Bless you! I used your method for one CDP test and got 10/15 (i ran out of time since I needed to get the hang of your method)

But i think with practice i can get a 15/15 on this part. THANK YOU AND YOUR METHOD IS PERFECT