DATdoneeeee 8/1/2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally done!!!!:)
GCHEM=23
OCHEM=23
BIO=24
TS=23
RC=19
QR=20
PAT=22
AA=22

Topscore
20/22/21 TS=20
17/16/18 TS=17 (3 days before the test!!)

Qvault Avg
Bio = 20
CHEM=22
OCHEM=23
I started studying mid May, but got really distracted because of Diablo 3, work, Supernatural (damn you netflix). First two months I studied average 4 hours per day making notecards, summaries,etc. Last two weeks I studied 12+ hours per day, which I don't recommend.I changed my test dates literally 5 times because I felt under prepared. My advice is change it if you need to. This was my first time taking the full test and I did not want to retake it ever again, and I'm sure none of you would want to take it again. English is my third language so that may explain low RC, but I'm happy its above the cut off. I took all the topscores and I want to emphasize don't get discouraged. My topscore scores 3 days before the test were BIO17GCHEM16OCHEM18.
I also took doxiderol for focus. This is like double sword for me. I would be focusing at the random times, i.e. 3 am.
I try to understand the concept on why things happen, including the concepts behind the calculation. Everyone says to do destroyer but I felt it was overkill. Everyone has their own way of learning so I did semi-passive way. Day before test day, I didn't eat anything heavy that would made me go to restroom during test. I highly suggest use melatonin pills the night before because I couldn't sleep until 7 am when my test was 12:30pm because I was way too nervous. Also I restrained from drinking water 2 hours before the test.
Overall I had no problem with the computer or staff during the test.

Chem = Chads, Zumdhal Chem book, ACS, DATQVault.Destroyer
The test itself had more concepts than calculations. Chad chad chad. He covers everything you need to know for Gchem. I started studying using my college textbook but I felt it was way too much information. Chad does good job at explaining things and I learned stuff that I never understood in my gen chem year. For me destroyer was overkill, so I stopped using it. I did qvault and topscore to practice and learn weak areas. I made notes for 1 week and actual studying were 3 days before the test

Ochem= Chad, Bruice O.Chem book, ACS, Q vault, Destroyer.
Personally I felt Chad 2010 videos weren't so good until the new 2012 version came out. It was a fast and good review. I had my own notecards back from ochem class so having those were handy. Destroyer again felt overkill so stopped using it. Did qvault. once in a while. Because I had good professor during postbac and didn't have to study much. Same as chem, actual studying spent about 5 days before the test.

Bio= Kaplan MCAT Biology Review(8/10) + DATQVAULT(10/10)+ postbac textbooks for bio.
I understand why people say this section is so random. It's because it's so broad. I had questions from embryo, genetic, molecular bio, cell bio,etc to ecology, plants. I spent majority of my time studying bio ( >2 months). Made about 400 notecards. I made notes from Kaplan book and added information that was presented in qvault and literally memorized all the answers from qvault. I had 4 question that were WTF. Some required application of knowledge but would never guessed it right. DAT destroyer is overkill for me once again. It's good for practice, but without a good bio foundation, I felt I was just memorizing facts without understanding. I had started studying from textbooks used for LS1~LS4 from UCLA extension, but then I felt I wasted my time, so I skimmed through and made concise notes supplementing Kaplan. I feel if you take more upper div bio classes, makes your life a bit easier to understand bio in general.

QR=DATQvault+ some of Chads
I pretty much gave up on this section because I didn't want to study. I'm sure I got all wrong on the trig questions, lol. Had some conversions which had no clue either :( . Qvault is a good representation of real DAT IMO.

RC=None.
I felt RC is not something that I can improve drastically with practice, because I'm a slow reader compared to others. Also english being my third language did affect a bit. I tried to do search and destroy ?? method but some questions required actual understanding of the context to answer. Thankfully I had all passages related to science (hurricane, bacteria, physics), so it was easier for me to follow than I anticipated.

PAT = Crack PAT
I only did 1 practice test and scored 19. Went to the section of my weakness and restudied. Besides that no practice because I felt TS was most important section, so spent most of my time on sciences. I personally think PAT comes somewhat natural to people and it can be practiced but didn't think it was worth my time.

Overall I'm satisfied and a bit unsatisfied a bit. The questions that I wasn't unsure was because I haven't studied enough (Gchem, ochem, qr) and could have gotten higher scores but I'm glad I'm done with this part.

-If you do bad on practice tests, don't get discouraged, but learn from the questions you got wrong and find the areas of weakness ASAP and study those.
-review your materials DAILY!!.. I wasted so much time forgetting things and re-learning, resulting in multiple rescheduling.
-sleep well the day before the test (had less than 5 hours of sleep). I was pretty wired and literally wanted to cry because was my first time taking full length test and really didn't want to do it and give up.
-Use well MARK and if you know the answer for sure skip. I felt I was short on every section even when first round of science finished with 40 minutes left.
-Be confident!! Can't stress this enough.

-Sorry for my grammar btw

Best luck

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1343881144430.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
wow! great scores! very good job. im sure you will not have an issue getting accepting into multiple dschools

congrats !

22 PAT with ONE pratice??!?!?!!?

you r gonna make me feel bad when i take mine hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
Bahahaha Diablo got to me too! Had to stop and start studying before I beat inferno. :( Amazing scores though btw!

agabs0627 - thank you. I wished I scored higher b/c my gpa is holding me back :(
joeeeey3 - You will do fine. I didn't worry so much about PAT b.c I used to do origami when I was a child lol.I can see practice will help you a lot. I wished I did more practice for it. It would have helped tremendously with my timing.
vlaura0214 - That sad moment when I could't use my computer for D3 anymore :(. I am still in normal and now can finally resume playing games :p

Your scores are awesome. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

WOW excellent scores. thank you for the breakdown and all the info. good to know your scores came in higher than the practice... it can be discouraging!

Have you ever tried to taking notes on your phone or tablet? If, so is it better because it is always with you and you can look at them at any time?

Members don't see this ad :)
How far did you get through Destroyer before you stopped using it? I can't decide if I should just go back through Chad's quizzes or keep spending hours and hours and hours trying to get through Destroyer.

How far did you get through Destroyer before you stopped using it? I can't decide if I should just go back through Chad's quizzes or keep spending hours and hours and hours trying to get through Destroyer.

I probably did half. It might be different on you but I'm a type of person that I can solve most of the problems once I understood. I try to look pattern and concept behind than pure memorizing. That being said I was being destroyed by destroyer doing bad, more than half times wrong. What I did was I studied their explanation, the subjects that I was weak on and skipped for the ones that I knew about. That worked for gchem and ochem but for bio I needed to study everything before jumping destroyer bc felt it was just memorizing facts without understanding big picture.

Congrats on the scores! You mentioned you were using Doxiderol for focus. Can you tell me how you were using it?

biomolecmed - Thank you.
Mattkman90 - If you buy it, it comes with instructions on how to use it. Best is as advised, 1~2 pill on empty stomache, not exceeding 6 per day. It did help me focus better, but 1) takes long time to get the effect (took me maybe nearly 1 month to get results) 2) Personally, I wouldn't take more than 4 a day, because I ended up being energetic at night time, messing my Circadian rhythm.
I took 1 pill when I woke up before breakfast, then eat another one 1 hour before lunch and another one 1 hour before dinner.

GREAT scores!! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere:). Just curious, did you study for the taxonomy section for biology?

pooj2012 - Thanks. Hmm I skimmed through taxonomy section but I used the DATQvault to get the ideas of which organisms were frequently asked, and I made notecards about them and completed their information using other supplemental such as barron's, alans, read through bangitys. I didn't actively study those and I reviewed them right before the test (used my short term memory :D).

I studied depending how stressed I was while I was learning the material. One day I would just focus on bio, another day I would start with G.chem but I would switch it off to bio if I felt the material gchem material got too boring or I couldn't understand no matter how much longer I read the material.
I'm one of the people that believes stress affects the way you study and didn't want to put myself in a lot of stress while I studied.