DAT Done! (1/3 Folds in HP, CC "Continuous Rule")

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineer09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
View attachment scores.jpg

I've been lurking around SDN for the past two weeks so I'm here to contribute!

Prometric Center:
I'm really sensitive to noise and even though I was right next to the door, the noise-canceling headphones worked wonders. I would have needed to leave the room to exchange laminated sheets so I only exchanged them once during the break.

Biology:
I read Cliff's AP Biology and Kaplan twice and went through Destroyer twice. On my second run through Cliff's, Kaplan, and Destroyer, I typed anything I didn't recall from reading the first time through. Day before the exam, I read through my notes. A+ for Destroyer Biology - I keep reading that it's not much help but I'm pretty sure I recognized at least 1/4 the questions from Destroyer 2012. I wouldn't have recognized the biology from any of my engineering classes!

General/Organic Chemistry:
Watched Chad's Videos before tackling the Destroyer 3x. One of the questions I missed in OC was directly from Destroyer. I never bothered timing myself with Destroyer and I only remember doing one simple calculation in the GC section.

I finished the SNS with 40 minutes left to spare, revisited my marked questions and had time to review the whole section comfortably.

Perceptual Ability:
The hole punching really caught me off guard. I can breeze through CDP in five minutes but I didn't know 1/3 folds were possible and since the image is not as clear cut as CDP, I spent some time reading the instructions to debate whether the 1/3 fold was possible. I also didn't know you could fold the top layer and not the bottom layer. Had I known these two things, CDP would have been more than adequate preparation. I had to use the "continuous rule" on cube counting. (Every cube is connected to at least one face of another cube). Don't worry about angles, they're much easier than CDP.

Break:
Used the bathroom, exchanged my 2 laminated sheets, and went back in. I used one side to write 1-10 in three columns before RC.

Reading Comprehension:
I'm a fast reader so I just did one practice test to come up with my strategy. I gave myself 5 minutes to read/skim each passage, noting a few keywords per paragraph and took 15 minutes to answer the questions. I rarely referred back to the laminated sheet but writing keywords helps you read actively. All of my passages were obscure. I had a physics passage on a topic I've never encountered in engineering. And a world map/geography lesson would have helped with my second passage. Tone questions were very obvious.

Quantitative Reasoning:
If you did fine on the SAT, you'll do fine here. I assume my two mistakes were simply careless. For preparation, I just reviewed my basic trig equations.

Overall:
Let's just say I can't wait to go back to engineering courses in the fall. I have a new respect for biology majors. Never thought I'd see the day I missed Navier-Stokes. Any engineers out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
" I recognized at least 1/4 the questions from Destroyer 2012"

wait, 1/4 of the question on ur DAT were on Destroyer, is that what ur trying to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is probably a really stupid question but are the questions completely random for everyone who takes the test on a certain day? (just asking bc I took mine today)

i am very curious and scared at the same time to see these 1/3 folds
how is that even possible

Great score! Congrats! I am a little bit confused by that "the 1/3 fold was possible." Can you tell me more about '1/3 fold' and 'folding the top layer'?

Great score! Congrats! I am a little bit confused by that "the 1/3 fold was possible." Can you tell me more about '1/3 fold' and 'folding the top layer'?
Sorry.. I didn't mean to cause alarm with the "1/3 fold" and "folding the top layer." Both are actually really easy to understand, I was just doubtful because it never came up on the 150 HP questions on CDP.

1/3 Fold: Imagine your square vertically divided into three equal sections. Fold the left third so that only 2/3 of the square is now visible.

Top layer fold: Imagine your square, now fold it in half so the left half is on top of the right. Now your next image will still take up the same 1/2. But now there's a line dividing the original 1/2. So they took the top left and folded it to the center while keeping the right in its original position. But the column on the right was the one punched so you know there's something there.

In retrospect, neither fold is complicated. Just something to keep in mind if you're solely relying on CDP.

I remember those 1/3 fold...I actually stared at the screen for a while to make sense of it....we are so used to seeing half and 1/4 folds that 1/3 will really captivate you.

View attachment 20929

I've been lurking around SDN for the past two weeks so I'm here to contribute!

Prometric Center:
I'm really sensitive to noise and even though I was right next to the door, the noise-canceling headphones worked wonders. I would have needed to leave the room to exchange laminated sheets so I only exchanged them once during the break.

Biology:
I read Cliff's AP Biology and Kaplan twice and went through Destroyer twice. On my second run through Cliff's, Kaplan, and Destroyer, I typed anything I didn't recall from reading the first time through. Day before the exam, I read through my notes. A+ for Destroyer Biology - I keep reading that it's not much help but I'm pretty sure I recognized at least 1/4 the questions from Destroyer 2012. I wouldn't have recognized the biology from any of my engineering classes!

General/Organic Chemistry:
Watched Chad's Videos before tackling the Destroyer 3x. One of the questions I missed in OC was directly from Destroyer. I never bothered timing myself with Destroyer and I only remember doing one simple calculation in the GC section.

I finished the SNS with 40 minutes left to spare, revisited my marked questions and had time to review the whole section comfortably.

Perceptual Ability:
The hole punching really caught me off guard. I can breeze through CDP in five minutes but I didn't know 1/3 folds were possible and since the image is not as clear cut as CDP, I spent some time reading the instructions to debate whether the 1/3 fold was possible. I also didn't know you could fold the top layer and not the bottom layer. Had I known these two things, CDP would have been more than adequate preparation. I had to use the "continuous rule" on cube counting. (Every cube is connected to at least one face of another cube). Don't worry about angles, they're much easier than CDP.

Break:
Used the bathroom, exchanged my 2 laminated sheets, and went back in. I used one side to write 1-10 in three columns before RC.

Reading Comprehension:
I'm a fast reader so I just did one practice test to come up with my strategy. I gave myself 5 minutes to read/skim each passage, noting a few keywords per paragraph and took 15 minutes to answer the questions. I rarely referred back to the laminated sheet but writing keywords helps you read actively. All of my passages were obscure. I had a physics passage on a topic I've never encountered in engineering. And a world map/geography lesson would have helped with my second passage. Tone questions were very obvious.

Quantitative Reasoning:
If you did fine on the SAT, you'll do fine here. I assume my two mistakes were simply careless. For preparation, I just reviewed my basic trig equations.

Overall:
Let's just say I can't wait to go back to engineering courses in the fall. I have a new respect for biology majors. Never thought I'd see the day I missed Navier-Stokes. Any engineers out there?

Crazy good scores!! What are you doing taking engineering classes??

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Yes, I'm applying this cycle - SDN is scaring me into thinking I should have interviews already so I'm anxiously waiting for my scores to be uploaded to AADSAS!

And I'm a biomedical engineering major. I wasn't pre-dental coming in but I'd make the same decision had I known.

Really hoping PAT is as easy as you have described...I'm getting killed in achiever, but doing ok in CDP.

Also a biomed/pre-dent engineer here. For the next 2 years, got nothing but engineering courses woo.