Codeine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechMan

Dreams Stuff are Made of.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the maximum dosage of codeine one can take ? and what are side effects/long term effects of using the drug ?

I've been taking it fairly regularly, makes me feel pretty good...im just worried about becoming dependent on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TechMan
What is the maximum dosage of codeine one can take ? and what are side effects/long term effects of using the drug ?

I've been taking it fairly regularly, makes me feel pretty good...im just worried about becoming dependent on it.

Same as any other narcotic dependency. You should stop now.

Originally posted by TechMan

well if it makes you feel good and been taking it for a long time...it might be too late.

but never knew codeine had that effect. never tried it. doesnt it knock you out cold?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. You should try to cut down. Long-term, it can cause constipation and an itchy nose.

i used to take codine when i broke stuff or tore ligaments and whatnot, but even then for only a couple of days when the pain was really bad. it pretty much knocked me out cold, and i was unable to function at all. the first two days after i completely tore 2 out of the 3 ligaments in my ankle, i slept through cause of the codeine. but all my docs have advised against long term, it's easy to get addicted to.

post deleted

Last edited:
Are you talking about actual codeine pills or tylenol with codeine?

I was under the impression that codiene was difficult to abuse because it causes upset stomach. I know my dentist refuses to prescribe codiene for this reason...too many people complaining of upset stomach....prescribes something similar called vicodin instead...

Vicodin, now there's a winner. The drug of choice for many.

Originally posted by logos
I was under the impression that codiene was difficult to abuse because it causes upset stomach. I know my dentist refuses to prescribe codiene for this reason...too many people complaining of upset stomach....prescribes something similar called vicodin instead...

Heh, I should go to your dentist when I need to have some work done next time. ;)

Actually, Vicodin causes stomach upset, too, in many people.

However, Roxicet, a form of Perkocet (spelling?), was specially designed not to cause nausea.

"tylenol with codeine" is just acetominophen combined with codeine in a single dose. A narcotic and acetaminophen used together sometimes gives better pain relief than either drug used alone. Sometimes pain relief is effected at lower doses of each drug. all opiates (except some of the new synthetic ones) cause nausea and constipation.